Charger/USB-C - 3.5mm Adapter

Search This thread

dfryer1193

Feb 28, 2013
Westford
Are there currently any adapters that allow charging while also using a 3.5mm jack?
The Google store has this, but nobody can give me any information on what "Coming Soon" means.

Any ideas?

Reactions: shey.laplanche

ssnacks

May 18, 2007
Another forum suggested this

Are there currently any adapters that allow charging while also using a 3.5mm jack?
The Google store has this, but nobody can give me any information on what "Coming Soon" means.

Any ideas?

I was researching for such a solution. In the XDA U11 forum, I saw this and ordered it, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0R1F1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. You plug the provided 3.5mm adapter into it. It would be a bad portable solution, but might be good enough for a desk. I will report back on whether it works for the Pixel 2.

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
I was researching for such a solution. In the XDA U11 forum, I saw this and ordered it, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0R1F1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. You plug the provided 3.5mm adapter into it. It would be a bad portable solution, but might be good enough for a desk. I will report back on whether it works for the Pixel 2.

Yes please report back. As I understand those adapters need to have a DAC builtin, but if you are using oem dongle then perhaps it can communicate to phone through this adapter

roachkazy

Dec 24, 2010
St. Paul
Using the included adapter

Yes please report back. As I understand those adapters need to have a DAC builtin, but if you are using oem dongle then perhaps it can communicate to phone through this adapter

I dont know if you looked at the product, but what he is doing is using the included USB-C to 3.5mm adapter that came with the phone, so that DAC would be there.

Reactions: DroidVader2

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
Spoke with manufacturer, they said it will work 100%
But I already gave away my P2, I decided to keep P1 for now until 8.1 release at least. I was excited about camera but I prefer P1 images they look better to my eyes

Last edited:

AsuraDas

Oct 9, 2016
Looks promising, I would be using this in my car. It looks like it would be heavy but it also has an SD reader I don't know how listening to music via OTG is

ssnacks

May 18, 2007
Success with the USB-C hub, charging, and USB-C audio adapter

It works completely! I tested a bunch of scenarios and am very happy. Only drawbacks so far are the thing is about half the size of the phone and the pigtail is about four inches.

Here is what works:
Rapid charging with a USB-C charger
Playing back music through the supplied USB-C audio adapter with and without charging attached
USB cable to an iPad (at least it connected and was recognized but I could not access pictures; I had the same issue with the data transfer adapter so I don't think this hub is at fault)
USB cable to a Canon camera
USB memory card reader

It would not read my micro SD card in the hub's slot initially but I got it to work.

Notes:
I did not test using the headset adapter with a wired microphone. I don't know if that is supported and don't have one.
You don't have to change the USB settings to get it to work. It just worked automatically.
The charging port is the one closest to the pigtail. The other port doesn't work for that purpose. The white lettering on silver case is hard to read so it is easy to miss which port is required for charging.
I didn't test it with HDMI because I cannot get the phone to work with the HDMI cable I purchased even when directly connected.

Here is the link again: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0R1F1M/

*edit: got the card reader to work.

Attachments

• hub.jpg
    hub.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 802
Last edited:
Reactions: kolyan

theBeachBoy

Dec 3, 2012
Hopefully we'll have a portables position under $45!

In the meantime I bought a Bluetooth receiver so in the car I can charge and use BT for audio to the car.

You could also buy a Bluetooth receiver and plug your earhones in it.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

bunklung

Mar 20, 2011
It works completely! I tested a bunch of scenarios and am very happy. Only drawbacks so far are the thing is about half the size of the phone and the pigtail is about four inches.

Here is what works:
Playing back music through the supplied USB-C audio adapter with and without charging attached
USB cable to an iPad (at least it connected and was recognized but I could not access pictures; I had the same issue with the data transfer adapter so I don't think this hub is at fault)
USB memory card reader

It would not read my micro SD card in the hub's slot initially but I got it to work.

Notes:
I did not test using the headset adapter with a wired microphone. I don't know if that is supported and don't have one.
You don't have to change the USB settings to get it to work. It just worked automatically.
The charging port is the one closest to the pigtail. The other port doesn't work for that purpose. The white lettering on silver case is hard to read so it is easy to miss which port is required for charging.
I didn't test it with HDMI because I cannot get the phone to work with the HDMI cable I purchased even when directly connected.

So the 4 inch pigtail goes into the phone, the PD charging port is connected to your Pixel wall charger, and the 3.5 USB c adapter connects to the data only USB C port?

Did you try to connect a keyboard, mouse, or USB Ethernet adapter to the USB A side? I am curious if those device work on the Pixel 2.

Thanks for your info.

ssnacks

May 18, 2007
So the 4 inch pigtail goes into the phone, the PD charging port is connected to your Pixel wall charger, and the 3.5 USB c adapter connects to the data only USB C port?

Did you try to connect a keyboard, mouse, or USB Ethernet adapter to the USB A side? I am curious if those device work on the Pixel 2.

Thanks for your info.

Correct; that is how I connected it. I tried an AnyKey security key that presents a USB keyboard interface and that worked as a keyboard. I don't have a mouse or ethernet adapter to try. I did also try a USB memory card adapter and that worked too.

Reactions: bunklung

BaronInkjet

Jul 5, 2012
Dallas
of-g.com
Moshi speaks!

FYI, this is response I got from Moshi rep, regarding the charge/play adapter.

While we do not know when exactly it will be available in Google's store, the same product is already available in our own web store - https://www.moshi.com/usb-c-digital-audio-adapter-with-charging

We are aware of that some users have been experiencing issues with this adapter, and we are already working together with Google on a solution for this. With that said, it appears that this only affects certain Pixel devices, as a clear majority of users (including our own product team and Google) haven't had any issues when testing multiple adapters on the Pixel devices in our office.

Although our team does not have a solution for the reported issues at this time, they are currently working with different software updates to see if this may resolve the issue. We are therefore not working on any hardware upgrades at the moment.

Hope this information helps.

last_nooby

May 24, 2012
Hi guys, I need to use my Pixel 2 XL as desktop PC so I need an hub that charge my phone and allow to connect keyboard, mouse and HDD to it at same time (regards video I'll connect it to TV throw Chromecast).
What do you think about it?

HTML:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/Techstick-USB-C-HUB-Adattatore-C-USB-3-1-hub-di-tipo-C-con-3-porte-USB-3-0-CARICABATTERIE-C-/152693040990

Erjimipey

Oct 5, 2016
I'm using this one, which is the same as the one above but cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FHLTNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It will charge the phone rapidly, play audio through the headphone dongle, read a micro SD card, read USB keys through the USB A ports, all at the same time, not bad for $14.

Hi, I'm very interested in this. Could you please check the link? It's not working. Or you could tell me the product name or reference or something that allows me to search for it....
Thank you very much in advance!

DroidVader2

Mar 17, 2016
Hi, I'm very interested in this. Could you please check the link? It's not working. Or you could tell me the product name or reference or something that allows me to search for it....
Thank you very much in advance!

Same here. I would love to find anything that will let me listen to my music with my wired headphones and charge my pixel 2xl at the same time. Google created this situation for us when they removed the jack. You would think they would at least have one solution. So if you could send me a new link or post it here, that'd be great!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm using this one, which is the same as the one above but cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FHLTNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It will charge the phone rapidly, play audio through the headphone dongle, read a micro SD card, read USB keys through the USB A ports, all at the same time, not bad for $14.

Any ideas?
    Moshi has them available for purchase now, but only on their web site and not through google.
    Hopefully that means google will have them soon, I really want one to leave in my car but i dont know if i can justify the 45$ price tag.

https://www.moshi.com/usb-c-digital-audio-adapter-with-charging

Edit: out of stock now
    Edit 2(Nov. 8): back in stock.
    Using the included adapter

I dont know if you looked at the product, but what he is doing is using the included USB-C to 3.5mm adapter that came with the phone, so that DAC would be there.
    Success with the USB-C hub, charging, and USB-C audio adapter

Here is what works:
    USB memory card reader

Notes: