595 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,831

Post Reply Email Thread
26th October 2019, 09:01 PM |#14031  
Thanks Meter: 2,416

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoudien07

Hi, I am looking for hosts sources, to block ads for steaming sites, movies and sports...
I always diagnosed, my browser, with and without AdAway enabled, enable it is blocking simple ads, as shopping, ads on sites where I am simply reading articles are blocked as expected.
Unfortunately, when I want to stream some movie or watch sport on my Tab, it is very penible, ads are opening as hell.
AdAway v.4.2.9
PS: here are the sources, I have being using for a while, some seems, to dont be able to be updated, or dead, dont know...
So I am unable to add knew sources, because I could not find new.
Thx, for any support or if somebody kind provided some sources, to be effectives

DNS ad blocking, such as Adaway does, has limitations. One of those limitations is the inability to block embedded ads, ads served from IP addresses rather than domain names, basically anything that does not make a call to DNS.

If you believe that your problem is purely a domain not existing in your sources, then use DNS logging and black list suspect domains.

You might also consider a browser that supports a uBlock Origin plugin. Searching this thread will bring up multiple discussions on uBlock.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
26th October 2019, 11:16 PM |#14032  
Flag Tujunga, CA
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Adaway 4.2.9

How come I'm still getting ads in YouTube?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
26th October 2019, 11:26 PM |#14033  
Thanks Meter: 119

More
adaway cannot block ads in youtube, actually no ad blocker can block ads in youtube app
26th October 2019, 11:27 PM |#14034  
Thanks Meter: 2,416

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdeslitx

Adaway 4.2.9

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

If you search, you'll find alternatives
27th October 2019, 03:11 AM |#14035  
Thanks Meter: 2,094

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdeslitx

Adaway 4.2.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

If you search, you'll find alternatives

Even in this thread a few pages back.

Sent from my Moto G5 Plus using XDA Labs
28th October 2019, 07:45 AM |#14036  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,567

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosaraylian

Hey Everyone:

Been using 4.2.9 for months now with no issues until a few days ago. When I go to update the hosts I get the 'ol "Copying of Hosts File Failed" error.

I tried all the regular "default" type fixes (target hosts location etc.) but no success.

Attached is a CatLog of when I try to update the hosts.

Can anyone please help me out? (the Ads are driving me insane LOL)

THANKS!

Did you, by chance, uninstall Magisk and reinstall it? If so, did you click on the systemless hosts option in settings and reboot the device to enable it, just like any other module that you install?
28th October 2019, 02:12 PM |#14037  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosaraylian

Is this the Walrus talking right now? No, we do not, because I have NO idea what you are referring to. What site? XDA, this site?

This site we are on obviously.

And I give up on this program, because I'm still seeing ads in Messenger, and there's not even any statistics that would tell me whether any ads were actually blocked.
28th October 2019, 02:55 PM |#14038  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bergisches Land
Thanks Meter: 3,080

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalrusInAnus

This site we are on obviously.

And I give up on this program, because I'm still seeing ads in Messenger, and there's not even any statistics that would tell me whether any ads were actually blocked.

Please keep in mind that AdAway won't block ads which are hard-coded into an app (which might be the case for you).
28th October 2019, 03:02 PM |#14039  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Oh. Well, that sucks, because ads that are the most annoying are the ones inside apps!
What should I get for that, then?
28th October 2019, 03:29 PM |#14040  
日本
Thanks Meter: 4,268

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalrusInAnus

Oh. Well, that sucks, because ads that are the most annoying are the ones inside apps!
What should I get for that, then?

Don't install or use applications that have advertising code in them, not only they are annoying, consume bandwith and resources unnecessarily, but they are proven malware vectors and engage in data mining and profiling.

You also put at risk other users, not just your own device.

It's really that simple.

There's always an alternative to an 'app', and for 99% of uses it's not even another 'app', but using a well behaved and relatively secure web browser that respects the hosts file, or can be used in conjunction with uBlock Origin et al.

Edit : Not speaking out of my arse, by the way. Besides my own very real experience, here's just one recent example of many, many, many, many, MANY instances of this disgusting crap going on these days : https://arstechnica.com/information-...lowed-devices/

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ultramanoid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ultramanoid Ad-Free
28th October 2019, 03:51 PM |#14041  
Flag Slightly South of London
Thanks Meter: 322

More
But if things are really that bad, do what RMS does - get them to e-mail you the page and open it up in a MUA that doesn't do pics/gifs etc...

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S5e using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to guhvanoh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guhvanoh Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)