Random reboots

Search This thread

cj1171

Jun 7, 2008
Yup, if anyone else has this problem where you get random reboots, especially on wifi and wifi calling doesn't work, take it back.
My new unit hasn't rebooted once and wifi calling works perfectly with the exact same settings/scenarios. :D

wizard86pz

May 11, 2012
Yup, if anyone else has this problem where you get random reboots, especially on wifi and wifi calling doesn't work, take it back.
My new unit hasn't rebooted once and wifi calling works perfectly with the exact same settings/scenarios. :D

I've reboots not on calling or wifi-using...I've reboots RANDOMLY...

jmart999

Aug 30, 2010
Force and random reboots

I can steadily make mine reboot. If I go to metro north train schedule, the page does not render properly, if I select view full desktop site it reboots every time. It's also rebooted a few times when the alarm goes off and when copying more than 80 MB of data at a time. If I try and copy 2 albums on it it reboots. I have to have encryption enabled for work so it leaves me at a hung screen waiting for the encryption password. This is obviously a real problem. I thought maybe it was the encryption but after reading this post I'm going to return it.

District

Oct 29, 2010
Washington
I've only had two random reboots in the two weeks I've owned my T-Mobile HTC One S.

Both times I was heavily using the phone.

Wifi internet surfing + maps and GPS + taking photos; then i got a phone call and it rebooted.

Also, I've felt the phone get warm after taking a few camera shots and then switching apps. When I felt it get warm I manually rebooted. Maybe the camera app isn't sleeping properly.

slipperyp

Mar 13, 2006
This is what happens to me, too. I'm not using it (though I might be at the boundary of a wifi connection area - I'm not sure) and it will randomly reboot. To be clear - I think most of us are talking about CRASHES, not just reboots. When the system comes back up, there is an icon in the notification area stating that the phone just recovered from an unexpected shutdown and offers to send data about the crash to HTC (at least this is always the case for me). This is not a matter of accidentally holding down the power button and triggering a reboot.

wizard86pz

May 11, 2012
This is what happens to me, too. I'm not using it (though I might be at the boundary of a wifi connection area - I'm not sure) and it will randomly reboot. To be clear - I think most of us are talking about CRASHES, not just reboots. When the system comes back up, there is an icon in the notification area stating that the phone just recovered from an unexpected shutdown and offers to send data about the crash to HTC (at least this is always the case for me). This is not a matter of accidentally holding down the power button and triggering a reboot.

I quote it!

Inviato dal mio HTC One S con Tapatalk 2

copacetix

Oct 20, 2010

yes. and looking at the log, it doesn't show anything i understand.
anyone ha solved this problem (i thought that updating the OS would have helped, but it didn't):crying:

h.han

Feb 28, 2011
London
Yes, I too started to have this problem recently for a few times now. I tried to recall any new apps I had installed and used in the past week. Only the free ones from Amazon appstore I downloaded everyday. Particularly one game called "going nuts" I played the most and it is very heavy 3d game which makes my phone burning hot after 20 mins play.
maybe that's the reason causing the reboot cos I never had a single reboot since 5 months ago when I bought the phone, must have something to do with apps which made the phone go nuts.

Uninstall the game and let's see what happen next.

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

I just successfully reproduced the reboot and the error report shown in the notification after reboot.

It is due to holding down the power button for a long period of time. I read some people mentioning this in previous posts as well. And I thought, yes I spent at least 20mins in the underground, sitting, and my phone was always in my trousers pocket, accidentally pressing home button could happen.

To reproduce the reboot and error report, whtat i did was hold down the power button for a hard reboot, after the 3 second count down was finished, I kept holding the button, did not release it at all for another maybe 10 or 15 secs, so in total from the beginning, I held down the button for about 30 secs. Just like the phone was in my pocket in a fixed position. Then the phone completly switched off rather than rebooted, so then I started it by pressing power button as normal. After it was booted, error report showed.

Also, as I said in the previous post, my phone never rebooted before, only started to happen a week ago, that was exactly when I started to take it naked without any case!! How coincident!

So, for me the reboot and error report problem are due to pressing power button. Hope this helps others.

copacetix

Oct 20, 2010
got back my one s yesterday night after 15 days being serviced by htc. they replaced the mobo, they say.
10 minutes ago it rebooted again.
i'm angry as hell.
also i have to say that i reproduced the crash exactly as h.han, but in the past they occurred while i was sleeping, so no one was pushing the button for 5 secs.
i really don't know what to do.

virtq

Jan 30, 2011
Yes, I too started to have this problem recently for a few times now. I tried to recall any new apps I had installed and used in the past week. Only the free ones from Amazon appstore I downloaded everyday. Particularly one game called "going nuts" I played the most and it is very heavy 3d game which makes my phone burning hot after 20 mins play.
maybe that's the reason causing the reboot cos I never had a single reboot since 5 months ago when I bought the phone, must have something to do with apps which made the phone go nuts.

Uninstall the game and let's see what happen next.

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

I just successfully reproduced the reboot and the error report shown in the notification after reboot.

It is due to holding down the power button for a long period of time. I read some people mentioning this in previous posts as well. And I thought, yes I spent at least 20mins in the underground, sitting, and my phone was always in my trousers pocket, accidentally pressing home button could happen.

To reproduce the reboot and error report, whtat i did was hold down the power button for a hard reboot, after the 3 second count down was finished, I kept holding the button, did not release it at all for another maybe 10 or 15 secs, so in total from the beginning, I held down the button for about 30 secs. Just like the phone was in my pocket in a fixed position. Then the phone completly switched off rather than rebooted, so then I started it by pressing power button as normal. After it was booted, error report showed.

Also, as I said in the previous post, my phone never rebooted before, only started to happen a week ago, that was exactly when I started to take it naked without any case!! How coincident!

So, for me the reboot and error report problem are due to pressing power button. Hope this helps others.

It helped me alot, it is exactly what's happening to my device. And reading at HTC's support site, it also seems that it's a feature:

"HTC One X not responding?
If HTC One X does not respond when you touch the screen or press the buttons, you can still restart it.
Press and hold the POWER button for at least 10 seconds. HTC One X then restarts."

It's not really a thougtful feature because when you bend over in pretty tight jeans, the power button gets accidently pushed and held for a while and after 10 sec it turns off. Wouldn't it be better to just rely on a hardware button to do this for you? 10 seconds is too short of time.

Last edited:
G

GuestK00306

Thought I would post my experiences with my One S randomly rebooting.

I bought an O2-branded One S off eBay for a decent price. I started to notice a random reboot about twice daily, usually when it was just sitting there with the screen off it would vibrate & I'd see the HTC boot logo.

I Googled around a bit and some said they had luck turning off the "Best Wi-Fi performance", but that didn't work for me.

First thing I did was to unlock the bootloader, root it & install a custom ROM. Used TWRP to do a wipe of the data, cache & installed TrickDroid v4.0.0.
Still had the random reboots, although they appeared to be even more frequent now.

I then tried to go back to the stock O2 ROM, which didn't work as it kept giving me an "Unknown Error" when flashing.

Next, I changed the CID from O2___001 to HTC__001 using these instructions.

Then I relocked the bootloader & installed the original generic European ROM. Things seemed to be a little better, with the time between reboots extending to almost 17 hours.

Lastly, I unlocked the bootloader and used TWRP to clear everything, SD, data, cache, secure, and flashed JellyBam.

Been running for 4 days now with no random reboots :)

adtamez

Jan 7, 2008
Blade0rz, I am having exactly the same problem as you did. Are you still andom reboot free? No reboots since your post?

Do you mind telling me the exact name or link of the original European rom that you used? By original do you mean the very first version of the HTC branded rom? Or did you use the latest version?

Finally and most importantly, can you tell me your current phone specs or details? Hboot version, radio, kernel, etc.

I really appreciated in advance. I have tried so many things already with no success.

Regards

Thought I would post my experiences with my One S randomly rebooting.

I bought an O2-branded One S off eBay for a decent price. I started to notice a random reboot about twice daily, usually when it was just sitting there with the screen off it would vibrate & I'd see the HTC boot logo.

I Googled around a bit and some said they had luck turning off the "Best Wi-Fi performance", but that didn't work for me.

First thing I did was to unlock the bootloader, root it & install a custom ROM. Used TWRP to do a wipe of the data, cache & installed TrickDroid v4.0.0.
Still had the random reboots, although they appeared to be even more frequent now.

I then tried to go back to the stock O2 ROM, which didn't work as it kept giving me an "Unknown Error" when flashing.

Next, I changed the CID from O2___001 to HTC__001 using these instructions.

Then I relocked the bootloader & installed the original generic European ROM. Things seemed to be a little better, with the time between reboots extending to almost 17 hours.

Lastly, I unlocked the bootloader and used TWRP to clear everything, SD, data, cache, secure, and flashed JellyBam.

Been running for 4 days now with no random reboots :)

G

GuestK00306

Blade0rz, I am having exactly the same problem as you did. Are you still andom reboot free? No reboots since your post?

Do you mind telling me the exact name or link of the original European rom that you used? By original do you mean the very first version of the HTC branded rom? Or did you use the latest version?

Finally and most importantly, can you tell me your current phone specs or details? Hboot version, radio, kernel, etc.

I really appreciated in advance. I have tried so many things already with no success.

Regards

I understand your frustration - I was very close to sending the phone back before I got it working!

I'm pretty sure it was this RUU:
https://hotfile.com/dl/169774719/b93be7d/RUU_Ville_U_ICS_40_S_HTC_Europe_2.31.401.5.exe.html

As I mentioned, I needed to set the CID before I could install the RUU. I had previously unlocked the bootloader but re-locked it again before installing the RUU.

Bootloader Info:
HBOOT-2.15
RADIO-1.11.50.05.28

Currently Running JellyBam 4.1.0, CM10 and still reboot-free :)
Kernel: 3.0.57-g9268db3

adtamez

Jan 7, 2008
I understand your frustration - I was very close to sending the phone back before I got it working!

I'm pretty sure it was this RUU

As I mentioned, I needed to set the CID before I could install the RUU. I had previously unlocked the bootloader but re-locked it again before installing the RUU.

Bootloader Info:
HBOOT-2.15
RADIO-1.11.50.05.28

Currently Running JellyBam 4.1.0, CM10 and still reboot-free :)
Kernel: 3.0.57-g9268db3

Thank you! I'm glad and very happy for you that you are still reboot free. It is nice to hear. I'll post my results as soon as possible.

I_did_it_just_tmrrow

Feb 27, 2011
I hope you guys can help me.

Today a friend of me come to us, he had also the reboot problems.

I am not a pc noob but I dont want to brick his One-S :D

We made a Soft-Reset & a Hard-Reset. Still random reebots, sometimes every 10 minutes!

Here his HW informations: [Please set me free, i would be very thankfull!]
imageshack /a/img844/2753/img20130607wa0001.jpg
imageshack /a/img43/4774/img20130607wa0000m.jpg
imageshack /a/img833/5779/imag2049e.jpg

I've heard that I need to Unlock his bootloader to use fastboot, is that right?
How do I do that?

Greetings by I_did_it_just_tmrrow

Attachments

• IMAG2049.jpg
    IMAG2049.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG-20130607-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20130607-WA0000.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG-20130607-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20130607-WA0001.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

s980845

Jan 18, 2013
Finally Found A Fix!!!

okay so alot you are thinking that it has to do with the CPU0 not turning on at boot, or a lot of you are thinking that It has to do with the fast dormancy issue, but it's neither of those. After months of troubleshooting and trying different ways of fixing it, I finally found a permanent solution, well kind of. It has to do with the baseband. When you flash a custom ROM, the hboot baseband isn't playing nice with the custom ROM. So I went on the XDA forums, and downloaded the temporary baseband installer version 4. I flashed it and pick the CM baseband with a "?" at the end. After flashing that I have yet to experience a slowdown, a constantly locking up at 3G, or random reboot for a couple of months. I'm currently running cm 10.2, with hboot 3.14. For all those of you were having random reboots, this should fix your problem right up. I am posting a link to the download below. This download takes about an hour and a half on a good 15 megabits internet connection. Also make sure that you have at least one gigabyte of space remaining on your phone. The reason why this is kind of a fix, is because this is a temporary baseband installer. This means that if you flash another ROM, the baseband gets deleted and you must flash it again. So if you're the type of person to keep a ROM on your phone, this won't be a problem for you. Please comment for the link as I'm too new. It won't let me post it.

Here is the link to the installer.

Reactions: vlado153

vlado153

Aug 25, 2015
Thank you for your advice about fix. But I can´t see any link to download that installer. Please reupload or give here the link. Thank you very much.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally Found A Fix!!!

okay so alot you are thinking that it has to do with the CPU0 not turning on at boot, or a lot of you are thinking that It has to do with the fast dormancy issue, but it's neither of those. After months of troubleshooting and trying different ways of fixing it, I finally found a permanent solution, well kind of. It has to do with the baseband. When you flash a custom ROM, the hboot baseband isn't playing nice with the custom ROM. So I went on the XDA forums, and downloaded the temporary baseband installer version 4. I flashed it and pick the CM baseband with a "?" at the end. After flashing that I have yet to experience a slowdown, a constantly locking up at 3G, or random reboot for a couple of months. I'm currently running cm 10.2, with hboot 3.14. For all those of you were having random reboots, this should fix your problem right up. I am posting a link to the download below. This download takes about an hour and a half on a good 15 megabits internet connection. Also make sure that you have at least one gigabyte of space remaining on your phone. The reason why this is kind of a fix, is because this is a temporary baseband installer. This means that if you flash another ROM, the baseband gets deleted and you must flash it again. So if you're the type of person to keep a ROM on your phone, this won't be a problem for you. Please comment for the link as I'm too new. It won't let me post it.

Here is the link to the installer.