Search This thread

boscorama

May 27, 2012
care to detail what kernel & ROM you were on
- when your battery started acting funny
- when calibrating

Thx :)

Sure.

Initially I was on Stock HC, rooted, CWM 5.5.0.4, w/ motley v2d kernel (OC: 1.4GHz, UV: 25-50mV)

Then I flashed KK's "P7510XABLPL_P7510UELPL clean port v2" and all was fine for a week or so. Then the battery started the slow decline until it became unusable.

There was an indication that the new Stock ICS update would fix the issue so I then flashed SK's " StockRom Odexed|Rooted|Zipaligned|CWM Flashable!" -- Second version. This didn't help at all. The fuel gauge was apparently totally confused.

So then I performed the steps prescribed in the OP and all has been fine so far. (I'm still on SK's 2nd version)

I'll know more on my next recharge cycle but nobody else has indicated an issue after doing this.

Suppose this process is mandatory after flashing the rom. Its best to be sure. Many forums have utilized this same method to make this cranky fuel gauge working.
discharged the tab in cwm, volt @ 3464mv. accidently put the unit on charge since it was not geting into the recovery after the reboot recovery action!.
now on 1 hr rest in shutdown before the 5 hr charging. lets see how this goes.

ibanezq

Mar 9, 2007
Warsaw
One unclear thing:
For this fix we need to flash the GB kernel?

Wysyłane z mojego HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e za pomocą Tapatalk 2

Suppose this process is mandatory after flashing the rom. Its best to be sure. Many forums have utilized this same method to make this cranky fuel gauge working.
discharged the tab in cwm, volt @ 3464mv. accidently put the unit on charge since it was not geting into the recovery after the reboot recovery action!.
now on 1 hr rest in shutdown before the 5 hr charging. lets see how this goes.

Fail in the first attempt.

maybe due to connecting to the charger after the drain without 1 hr shutdown might have skipped the first reference point. Anyways, had a nandroid of the overcome 231. restored, but still the issue continues. Repeating the cycle now.

think it is best to wait for official 7300 ics release & hope that it solves the problem.

fred_be9300

Mar 12, 2011
I tried calibration twice while on the ICS 7500 port. No luck. Then I upgraded to the ICS p7310 release (odin flash). It acted a little weird still at first, but then after recalibration in that ROM, it was fine. (And I suspect that maybe on that ROM, it might have started behaving ok after a few normal recharge cycles just as well)

edit: I have a p7300, but don't use 3g. So the p7310 ICS suits me fine

Last edited:

theinfamous2

Jul 6, 2011
Hi guys. first post here. Been silent reader before.
Here's what I've been through. I'm using P7300 and came from stock ROM before flashing ICS clean port v2 by KK. It works great. so much better than HC. no battery problem it works great, it last for 48hrs to 52hrs in heavy use with WiFi always connected, playing music and videos sometimes, reading news feed, etc. but after a week the battery suddenly drained so fast, like from full charge to 50% in 15mins or less. it happens when I charge it in OFF condition. so I follow the steps prescribed in OP for 2 times still doesn't work. so I'm rolling back to HC through Nandroid, the problem still continues even after recalibration. my tab is totally messed up.
So my guess is the problem came after I charge it in off condition and on the kernel. I hope the work around or fix will come soon. thanks a lot.

boscorama

May 27, 2012
so I follow the steps prescribed in OP for 2 times still doesn't work. so I'm rolling back to HC through Nandroid, the problem still continues even after recalibration.

Did you keep booting into recovery until it wouldn't boot anymore? CWM will only stay active for an hour at at time. Then it will try booting the system and turn off due to (perceived) low battery. You need to keep booting into recovery until the tab won't even start. Once you get to that point, THEN leave it alone for at least an hour before starting to charge it again.

Reactions: fnetf

theinfamous2

Jul 6, 2011
Did you keep booting into recovery until it wouldn't boot anymore? CWM will only stay active for an hour at at time. Then it will try booting the system and turn off due to (perceived) low battery. You need to keep booting into recovery until the tab won't even start. Once you get to that point, THEN leave it alone for at least an hour before starting to charge it again.

yep. already done that. I'm on fully charge so I have to keep booting into recovery for 6 or 7 times till it fully drain. I leave it for an hour after that and charge it for 5 hours on Off condition, and after that I leave it again for 1 hour (second measurement). still no luck. a bit frustated by it tbh, haven't sleep for +/- 30 hours trying to figure out what is wrong.

pseudoheld

May 8, 2009
awwww ****.
seems like my problems are back.
i had a completely normal discharge, then charged it up to 100% again and now i have rapid drops again :(
could well be because i flashed the A1 Kernel :(

boscorama

May 27, 2012
could well be because i flashed the A1 Kernel :(

*nods* I'd say so. It looks like AAccount's A1 kernel is based on the P75xx kernel sources (at least from the comments in his source packge). Those are the same ones that were used in the 'P7500_P7510 clean port' ROM that precipitated the issue previously.

imnong

Jul 31, 2012
Back to HC 3.2 as well because I had faced the battery drain after flash ics rom ([ICS][P7300] P7500XXLQ8_P7500OXALQ8 clean port v2).I think I should wait ICS official for P7300.

Sketch85

Jul 20, 2009
****. Until today I thought I was one lucky guy without the Battery problem. But I was wrong. Actually I'm loosing more than 1% per minute. ... after reestart its fullly charged. ... I can kick samsung. I dont want go back to HC! I need the official update!

How long it will hold if I recalibrate my battery like discribed in the first post?

fred_be9300

Mar 12, 2011
what ROM & kernel are you on then?
this battery mess seems to happen only with kernels ported from the 7500 ICS kernel sources...if you can install the 7310 official ICS you'd be good (but without 3g)

Sketch85

Jul 20, 2009
what ROM & kernel are you on then?
this battery mess seems to happen only with kernels ported from the 7500 ICS kernel sources...if you can install the 7310 official ICS you'd be good (but without 3g)

I have installed the official 7310 now (the version from safariking) but actually the same happens on this ROM. Fast decreasing of battery but still on good level after restart. Now I will try to calibrate but Its anoying to decrease the battery to a level beyond 3400 because I have to restart the tab again and again. ... Should I try the really official ROM?

Edit: This actually happens: http://db.tt/RVOoW2I3

Last edited:

boscorama

May 27, 2012
I have installed the official 7310 now (the version from safariking) but actually the same happens on this ROM. Fast decreasing of battery but still on good level after restart. Now I will try to calibrate but Its anoying to decrease the battery to a level beyond 3400 because I have to restart the tab again and again. ... Should I try the really official ROM?

Edit: This actually happens: http://db.tt/RVOoW2I3

Now that you are on a kernel that is known to handle the battery/fuel gauge correctly, perform the steps as described in the OP. Remember to keep "booting into recovery and waiting" until it no longer boots and then wait an hour before recharging.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All credit for this solution goes to Vlad_z from the 10.1 Forums!

There has been a lot of confusion regarding some battery issues that arose after flashing the ICS port from kallt_kaffee so I thought I'd make this post to have it easily findable instead of buried inside one of the threads.
    First of all: YOUR BATTERY IS NOT BROKEN! RELAX! ;)

Now, lets get into what causes the problem:
    There is a chip in our tabs that measures the voltage and then reports to the OS.
    This chip has to be calibrated properly and for some reason the ICS port discalibrated it.
    To recalibrate it, it needs to take two voltage measurements to once again gauge the battery correctly.
    For in depth explanation read HERE

There is a way of reading the voltage of our tab, which is the only way to correctly show the charge.
    Either use terminal emulator on the tab then its:
    cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/voltage_now
    or use adb (also works from recovery)
    adb shell cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/voltage_now

This will give you a number which is the current voltage of the battery.
    Fully charged its around 4100 completely drained around 3400!
    If your OS reports low battery and the charge reads 4000 or 3900 or some other high number you definately need to recalibrate!

Here is how you get it calibrated again:
    1. in CWM/recovery let it sit till battery in terminal will show less then 3700. The less you can get it the better. 3400 is probably absolute minimum.

2. shut down tab and let it sit for 1 hour. (this is needed for the first measurement)

3. plug it to charger and charge it for 5 hours.

4. disconnected charger and let it sit for 1 hour. (this is needed for the second measurement)

5. boot up your tab and test it, it your battery still not calibrated you can flash back your backup and repeat calibration procedure.

Hope this helps you out!
    Don't take any shortcuts! Let it sit for the hour while switched off! This is vital for the recalibration!
    After completing this my tab now correctly shows 100% charge and looks to have normal discharge once again.
    For those who are new to ADB, here is some detailing. Had posted this in another thread, but think it is more relevant here.

first u need android sdk in your pc. download & install the same. it will be in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk" in an 64 bit pc. in the command prompt go to this location. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools"
    from this point u can use the adb commands.
    first check with the command "adb help"
    u will get some responses.
    u have to mount the system (in the cwm recovery) in the mount & storage section. then only will the device communicate with the pc in adb.
    now connect the equipment (which is now in recovery mode) to the pc & use the command "adb devices"
    u will get some sort of numbers instead of the 7300 or galaxy tab etc.
    use the following command to know the voltage. "adb shell cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/voltage_now"
    pls note that there is a space in between "cat & /sys"

now follow the steps.

1. in CWM/recovery let it sit till battery in terminal will show less then 3700. The less you can get it the better. 3400 is probably absolute minimum.

2. shut down tab and let it sit for 1 hour. (this is needed for the first measurement)

3. plug it to charger and charge it for 5 hours.

4. disconnected charger and let it sit for 1 hour. (this is needed for the second measurement)

5. boot up your tab and test it, it your battery still not calibrated you can flash back your backup and repeat calibration procedure.

this is definitely a laborious process, but there is no option but to follow this.
    hope this helps.
    wiping battery stats has no effect on this problem. it just erases your usage data!

Yes, hence the voodoo-reference, but I felt I had to add what I did in any case.
    how about battery calibrate from play store, will that help?

Don't think so... The problem is with the chip level not os level
    You need to drain in recovery. (repeatedly cause it shuts down every hour)

Or just stop on the screen where you choose cwm or downlod mode and let it drain there without having the 1 hour shutdown cycle.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using xda app-developers app