What extent can employers control company android phones?

Search This thread

BLu8i

Feb 18, 2019
Hi

To what extent can employers control an android company phone? I'm sure they could just disable the SIM, but will they be able to:
  • access the device storage (whether internal or external)?
  • access call logs etc. and contacts? I guess they'd be able to view texts via the phone company?
  • disable the phone remotely so that it doesn't turn on?

Thanks for any advice

Hi

To what extent can employers control an android company phone? I'm sure they could just disable the SIM, but will they be able to:
  • access call logs etc. and contacts? I guess they'd be able to view texts via the phone company?

Thanks for any advice

Depends on the MDM the IT department is using. I use Google Admin Console. I can remotely wipe and lock my company-owned Android devices. GAC has started playing nicely with Apple devices, so I can do the same to iOS device we own, too. Seeing files, though? Yeah, if they're using some beefy MDM and it has full device permissions, anything goes if it's set up that way. But then again, if it's a company-owned device, there's no expectation of privacy, and all data on the device is the company's.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Hi

Thanks for any advice
Best bet, just don't use it for anything that you want to keep to yourself.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

BLu8i

Feb 18, 2019
Thanks guys.

I'm not sure if it's related, but my old company phone has recently decided not to turn on. I thought it might be something that was controlled by previous employer. Data hasn't been switched on, so can they actually disable the phone via the sim?

As I said, the phone did not want to switch on, so I decided to charge it for some time. Sometimes, it would power on the splash screen, but just does not go any further. It doesn't boot but just sits on the splash screen for over an hour. I was thinking of buying a replacement battery, but it seems it might not have any effect?

Perhaps it's something to do with the phone's IC on its way out?