Google Android Development

Search This thread

excalibur.lk

Jun 30, 2007
Brisbane
Million dollar answer

I have a neon 200 20key; your latest zImage works like a charm. With the keyboard, I have found that it only works for the first 2 characters for each key, for example, if you click:
  • Q key: once = 'Q', twice = 'W', thrice = [blank]
  • E key: once = 'E', twice = 'R', thrice = [blank]
  • M key: once = 'M', twice = '9', thrice = [blank]

The battery meter works well too.

With the neon though, i have not been able to get it to pickup a network (I am with Telstra in Australia, on a 3G plan). I am not sure if this is to do with my radio version (1.58.25.15) as I have not been too keen on updating it (fear of bricking my beloved neon).

Other small issue, once I go into the gallery and am viewing images, the red soft button no longer works as a back button; instead it brings up a delete confirmation.

I am happy to be a tester for neon 200s.

Thank you for all your awesome work, it is coming together nicely. :)

lairusi

Jul 14, 2008
Ok mates, the million dollar question is...

Can anybody help me figure out what the **** is going on?

Expanded question:
Multiple keypress version 0.1 of the kernel
http://www.2shared.com/file/4846122/3ee509dc/zImage.html

This applies mostly to 20key users (16key have some mappings, but they can be all wrong, as the Niki I have is 20k)

After booting, go to a place where you can type (for example google search widget).
Press Q, you should get a Q :)
Press Q, you should see the q delete and get a W
Press Q once again, and you should see the W delete and get a slash (/)

Easy, huh?
Now, try the same on a keypad number. For example, T
Press T once, you will get T
Press T once again, you will get Y
Press it one last time. On my phone it deletes the key but doesn't write anything else. But it SHOULD write a 2.

Does it do the same for you? If anyone wants to see the sourcecode of the keyboard or thinks who can help, please reply to the post. It's driving me nuts.

PS: Battery meter working :) (thanks Kaiser developers for that)

As you have said, the battery meter is working fine. I have also tried to make some calls and it seems to be working although I only tried calling a service operator and was able to hear what is on the other side.

The loopt error keeps on popping up whenever an event comes up (e.g. received an SMS). The in call volume does not work and it is always set into max, but the volume in playing musics can be fully adjusted. In addition, when the phone was set to automatic sleep, the keypad (16 keys) lights up forever (just like the earlier build).

Thank you very much for your effort, it has really made this project progress.

Reactions: ALLDAT

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
loopt doesn't crash in newer images. I have fixed the keypad issues, it was just two damn lines... expect a new bootkit soon :)

Regards!

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
I have the 20 key, so I can't debug if everything works for 16 key users. Anyway I have done all the mappings, and key repetitions. If everything goes as expected and I find a little time to enable the timer, make sure nothing crashes, and you guys helps debugging whatever goes wrong, tomorrow.

the_fish

May 12, 2008
I have the 20 key, so I can't debug if everything works for 16 key users. Anyway I have done all the mappings, and key repetitions. If everything goes as expected and I find a little time to enable the timer, make sure nothing crashes, and you guys helps debugging whatever goes wrong, tomorrow.
i'll help ASAP (when my nike is back from repairing :/ )

excogitation

Jun 21, 2006
Stuttgart
I can write you a tutorial (for someone without a clue what to do) on how to trace the gpios for each key if you don't already know those of the 16-key Nike version.

Let me know if that would help.

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
I can write you a tutorial (for someone without a clue what to do) on how to trace the gpios for each key if you don't already know those of the 16-key Nike version.

Let me know if that would help.

Not necessary but thanks :) Both nikes use the same gpios for everything (at least what I found so far). The problems are with the keypad matrix.

I know the matrix contents for the 16 key nike. The problem is this:
20 key nike has 3 different keycodes for each case, but 16 key nike has between 2 and five, depending on wich key you're mapping. That means, that while keys like key "0" or "*" may have only one or two functions, key "7" has to go through five different keypresses (7, P, Q, R, S), and I need to make sure every counter and every switch works well for all case scenarios. Half an hour of work anyway, but just want to make sure everything works before making a dozen more builds ;)

Regards!

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
Okay, new bootkit for your pleasure, or at least, for the first 10, cause I don't have an account on rapidshare :)

Touchscreen calibrated the right way
Keypad, theorically working, please report problems back so I can fix them.
Keypad has all the main keys for both keypad types. First are letters, last numbers. the symbols: "!" "?" "@" aren't mapped, since I can't find the keycode for it. If anybody knows where can I find them please post.

On the default.txt, you can now set two different options.

The first one is the keypad layout:
board-htcpolaris.keypadlayout=1 for 16 key Niki
board-htcpolaris.leypadlayout=0 for 20 key Niki (default)

The other one is for all the people (like me) who write really fast, and get mad when waiting for the phone to understand that after a P you wanted to write an S, so I made the timer adjustable from command line, so people that write fast see the keys written at their speed, and people who write slow can choose larger times to avoid spending a lot of times deleting the last key because you were typing P P P P instead of PS...

board-htcpolaris.sticky_timer_time_ms=650 (default)

350-500 if you are fast and accurate when typing.
700-800 if you need more time to write a letter.

On the keypad, when pressing and holding a key on the letters a,e,i,o,u and c, a popup menu will appear with more possibilities, in case you don't find the éáóú or whatever you were looking for...

Keypad backlight working.

Slider works. By default it stays portrait until you open and close the lid. After you close it will put itself on landscape. I can make a function to override it if you hate it a lot (I think it can be disabled from android but not sure).

Red, green and d-pad backlight gpio missing, if anybody knows them too, please say so.

For the rest, everything is quite as it was before. Charge is detected if it is on charge when booting, but battery does not show the right % of battery remining.

Everything else... you will say!
PS: I know capslock doesn't work on the 20key, will fix it for the next one...

Regards

http://rapidshare.com/files/197831966/Android_bootkit.rar.html

Last edited:

ducamie

Apr 28, 2007
arghhh thank you a lot biktor seriously, im so grateful

theres no menu key for 16 keyers however so i get stuck in locked mode pretty quickly

from what i see the touch screen seems more responsive? awesome

Last edited:

moeava

Oct 29, 2005
IL
when entering text if you press up it inserts a 'v', left inserts a 'g', and down inserts a 'j'. also is there any way to delete? and it is kind of annoying that it switches to landscape when you slide the phone closed. It also appears that there is no way to answer the phone when a call comes in.

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
ducamie, use the camera key :)

moeava, what nike do you have? did you put keypadlayout=1 on default.txt?

graey

Aug 25, 2007
Okay, new bootkit for your pleasure, or at least, for the first 10, cause I don't have an account on rapidshare :)

Touchscreen calibrated the right way
Keypad, theorically working, please report problems back so I can fix them.
Keypad has all the main keys for both keypad types. First are letters, last numbers. the symbols: "!" "?" "@" aren't mapped, since I can't find the keycode for it. If anybody knows where can I find them please post.

On the default.txt, you can now set two different options.

The first one is the keypad layout:
board-htcpolaris.keypadlayout=1 for 16 key Niki
board-htcpolaris.leypadlayout=0 for 20 key Niki (default)

The other one is for all the people (like me) who write really fast, and get mad when waiting for the phone to understand that after a P you wanted to write an S, so I made the timer adjustable from command line, so people that write fast see the keys written at their speed, and people who write slow can choose larger times to avoid spending a lot of times deleting the last key because you were typing P P P P instead of PS...

board-htcpolaris.sticky_timer_time_ms=650 (default)

350-500 if you are fast and accurate when typing.
700-800 if you need more time to write a letter.

On the keypad, when pressing and holding a key on the letters a,e,i,o,u and c, a popup menu will appear with more possibilities, in case you don't find the éáóú or whatever you were looking for...

Keypad backlight working.

Slider works. By default it stays portrait until you open and close the lid. After you close it will put itself on landscape. I can make a function to override it if you hate it a lot (I think it can be disabled from android but not sure).

Red, green and d-pad backlight gpio missing, if anybody knows them too, please say so.

For the rest, everything is quite as it was before. Charge is detected if it is on charge when booting, but battery does not show the right % of battery remining.

Everything else... you will say!
PS: I know capslock doesn't work on the 20key, will fix it for the next one...

Regards

http://rapidshare.com/files/197831966/Android_bootkit.rar.html

Hey man, I can't wait to try it out on my 16key nike, but the download limit is reached or something, could you reupload somewhere else?

lairusi

Jul 14, 2008
Could someone please re-upload the rar file because apparently, rapidshare says that the file has already reached its download limit...

matiu

Dec 26, 2007
I have some problems with this update: camera open but doesn't show any image (maybe radio, I use 1.65x), one time the phone is in standby I can't returne in normal mode, and there isn't a button to shut down. :(

biktor_gj

Jan 25, 2008
Ok, first things first.

There's no camera driver. So you won't see any image anywhere. If you do, I'd be glad to know how you did it :)

There's no bluetooth either, and microphone is not working (in case you were expecting it)

@moeava: If you have a 20key, you should be using "board-htcpolaris-keypad.keypadlayout=0", if that makes you see letters when going left, right up or down, it's weird. What niki type you have? niki 100/200? neon?

I haven't mirrored the bootkit because I'm sorting out an slide override function that doesn't seem to work for now, as Android's builtin slider configuration depends on accelerometter and can't be fully disabled. In a little time I will add keypad layout for french and german nike's too (azerty and qwertz keypads).

But now my Nike is charging and I'm not testing anything until it's finished, so... wait a little bit :)

PS: When reporting problems, make sure you first have visited the wiki first, and checked that you did everything right (radio, free storage, free memory...). You can also check if what you were looking for is implemented (like the camera thing mentioned before). Also, if you're reporting an issue (for example, can't find a specific key), please post wich keypad type you have, the type of your phone (niki100,200,300, neon), and if the rest of the keys behave normally. Note the keypad is 36 keys wide and I can't know how it should be if you don't tell me what key is writing, and wich key it should.

For example, telling "Camera key drops an A, and I have a 20 key azerty keyboard Niki100 with Radio 1.71"

That would be useful.

"Camera key doesn't work" isn't useful at all.
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=Niki_Android

EDIT1: Mappings are on the way. I found the qwertz layout and I merged it, but can't find the azerty keyboard elsewhere. Anyone who has an azerty nike can post a photo of the keyboard?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok mates, the million dollar question is...

Can anybody help me figure out what the **** is going on?

Expanded question:
    Multiple keypress version 0.1 of the kernel
    http://www.2shared.com/file/4846122/3ee509dc/zImage.html

This applies mostly to 20key users (16key have some mappings, but they can be all wrong, as the Niki I have is 20k)

After booting, go to a place where you can type (for example google search widget).
    Press Q, you should get a Q :)
    Press Q, you should see the q delete and get a W
    Press Q once again, and you should see the W delete and get a slash (/)

Easy, huh?
    Now, try the same on a keypad number. For example, T
    Press T once, you will get T
    Press T once again, you will get Y
    Press it one last time. On my phone it deletes the key but doesn't write anything else. But it SHOULD write a 2.

Does it do the same for you? If anyone wants to see the sourcecode of the keyboard or thinks who can help, please reply to the post. It's driving me nuts.

PS: Battery meter working :) (thanks Kaiser developers for that)

As you have said, the battery meter is working fine. I have also tried to make some calls and it seems to be working although I only tried calling a service operator and was able to hear what is on the other side.

The loopt error keeps on popping up whenever an event comes up (e.g. received an SMS). The in call volume does not work and it is always set into max, but the volume in playing musics can be fully adjusted. In addition, when the phone was set to automatic sleep, the keypad (16 keys) lights up forever (just like the earlier build).

Thank you very much for your effort, it has really made this project progress.
    Then it's veery strange. Let's see how the new kernel handles it...
    Uploading a new bootkit, with updated system.img and kernel.

Configuration you should do before you run:

Choose board-htcpolaris-keypad.keypadlayout to 0 if you have a 20 key Nike (english)
    Choose board-htcpolaris-keypad.keypadlayout to 1 if you have a 16 key nike
    Choose board-htcpolaris-keypad.keypadlayout to 2 if you have a 20 key Nike (french - azerty)
    Choose board-htcpolaris-keypad.keypadlayout to 3 if you have a 20 key Nike (german - qwertz)
    NOTE: I have figured the key positions on french and german niki's from photos. If it doesn't work, let me know :)

board-htcpolaris-keypad.sticky_timer_time_ms=XXX

Replace the XXX with values between 300-500 if you write fast, and 600-800 if you're slow typing

board-htcpolaris-keypad.slide_override=0
    As the name says, this ommits the sliding function if you don't want the screen orentation to change. Put this to 1 to disable the sliding detection, or 0 to enable it.

Mirror 1: Rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/files/198077563/Android_bootkit.rar.html
    Mirror 2: 2 Shared: http://www.2shared.com/file/4876485/1b05ccce/Android_bootkit.html
    Feel free to mirror it wherever you like (or if you have a premium account elsewhere)

Regards!
    Contribute to the Wiki with whatever you think could be useful: http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=Niki_Android

Extract to storage card. Then I go to haret and run. Don´t work