Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[Q] Recovery/rom/kernel flashing confirmation

209 posts
Thanks Meter: 69

By TheOnlyIntruder, Senior Member on 16th June 2014, 01:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Now that we have root and are able to backup the TA partition (which I have done) I now feel comfortable with flashing custom recoveries/roms/kernels however I'm unsure of a few things as I haven't owned a modern sony device having had HTC as my previous android smartphones (and WinMo too although messing about on WinMo was super fun and easy and pretty much bulletproof.... I miss those days).

From what I gather, unlocking the boatloader is a fairly straight forward process much similar to the htcdev method necessary for the One X, send info to Sony, receive unlock token, proceed with unlock.

With this in mind I want to do 3 things: -

1. Use Philz touch recovery. I used this on the One X so I'm familiar with it and find it to be easy and robust to use

2. Use doomkernel - being able to fine tune power usage and cpu usage interests me greatly

3. Use RomAur, I'm always a fan of stock looking roms with great customisability for example on my One X, I used Mike1986's ARHD Rom.

So far as I understand, for my purposes points 1 and 2 are combined as doomlord included Philz touch recovery in his kernel, is this correct?

Now this is where I'm a little confused or perhaps mislead, some guides are saying to install .402 ftf before flashing anything else if on a previous version rom, in my case official .55 but if I'm doing a full system wipe and install, is it not simpler just to flash the recovery and boot into recovery and flash a new rom from there (having the new rom located on sd card like traditionally done) if so then this leads me on to the next stage.

I understand that to flash the kernel/recovery, I turn the phone off, hold volume up or down I think it must be volume up as volume down is to enter flashmode correct? And connect to the pc and perform the actions "fastboot flash boot boot.img" exactly like that on the HTC One X, is this also correct? After that, how do I boot into recovery?

I apologise for the longwinded thread but whenever I do this kind of thing, I like to be thorough and have everything correct, you know, the measure twice cut once mentality. If anyone can confirm these details and if necessary point me in the right direction of what to do if I have anything wrong, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

16th June 2014, 08:44 AM |#2  
Imagination
Thanks Meter: 2,295

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyIntruder

Now that we have root and are able to backup the TA partition (which I have done) I now feel comfortable with flashing custom recoveries/roms/kernels however I'm unsure of a few things as I haven't owned a modern sony device having had HTC as my previous android smartphones (and WinMo too although messing about on WinMo was super fun and easy and pretty much bulletproof.... I miss those days).

From what I gather, unlocking the boatloader is a fairly straight forward process much similar to the htcdev method necessary for the One X, send info to Sony, receive unlock token, proceed with unlock.

With this in mind I want to do 3 things: -

1. Use Philz touch recovery. I used this on the One X so I'm familiar with it and find it to be easy and robust to use

2. Use doomkernel - being able to fine tune power usage and cpu usage interests me greatly

3. Use RomAur, I'm always a fan of stock looking roms with great customisability for example on my One X, I used Mike1986's ARHD Rom.

So far as I understand, for my purposes points 1 and 2 are combined as doomlord included Philz touch recovery in his kernel, is this correct?

Now this is where I'm a little confused or perhaps mislead, some guides are saying to install .402 ftf before flashing anything else if on a previous version rom, in my case official .55 but if I'm doing a full system wipe and install, is it not simpler just to flash the recovery and boot into recovery and flash a new rom from there (having the new rom located on sd card like traditionally done) if so then this leads me on to the next stage.

I understand that to flash the kernel/recovery, I turn the phone off, hold volume up or down I think it must be volume up as volume down is to enter flashmode correct? And connect to the pc and perform the actions "fastboot flash boot boot.img" exactly like that on the HTC One X, is this also correct? After that, how do I boot into recovery?

I apologise for the longwinded thread but whenever I do this kind of thing, I like to be thorough and have everything correct, you know, the measure twice cut once mentality. If anyone can confirm these details and if necessary point me in the right direction of what to do if I have anything wrong, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

1.Take note that if you restore your TA on a custom kernel it will brick because its equivilent to relocking on a custom kernel

2. Volume up is fastboot mode ususaly used for flashing kernels, volume down is flashmode (usualy firmware flashing n fixing)

3.to boot into recovery using doomkernel you press the camera button when the purple LED with vibrate shows, if ur using philz reovery advanced stock then it would be volume up

(Doomkernel has TWRP (vol down) and CWM (vol up))

4.you can flash directly to 402 with the respective kernel, you do need to wipe since your jumping a firmware set, going to from 55 to 69 is fine but not 402 because its B 402 and not A 402 un like 17.1.A.55 or 69 its 17.1.1.B.402 (or something of a new set)

If i missed something just ask

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Envious_Data For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Envious_Data Ad-Free
16th June 2014, 02:14 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious_Data

1.Take note that if you restore your TA on a custom kernel it will brick because its equivilent to relocking on a custom kernel

Yeah I wont be relocking the bootloarder, I understand that to restore the TA the kernel and rom need to be on stock for that so that's no problem.

Quote:

3.to boot into recovery using doomkernel you press the camera button when the purple LED with vibrate shows, if ur using philz reovery advanced stock then it would be volume up

(Doomkernel has TWRP (vol down) and CWM (vol up))

So I have to powerup the phone and wait for the LED to flash before pressing the button or is it a case of hold camera and turn on power?

Quote:

4.you can flash directly to 402 with the respective kernel, you do need to wipe since your jumping a firmware set, going to from 55 to 69 is fine but not 402 because its B 402 and not A 402 un like 17.1.A.55 or 69 its 17.1.1.B.402 (or something of a new set)

Yeah that's what I intend to do, flash kernel, boot into recovery, install new rom from SD card doing full wipe in the process or do I have to push the rom from my pc over usb cable?
16th June 2014, 02:52 PM |#4  
Imagination
Thanks Meter: 2,295

Donate to Me
More
With the recovery press the camera button a couple of times when the LED shows

Put the files on your Sd and flash, i tested and its only your internal storage which is wiped but id still backup your Sd contents

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Envious_Data For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Envious_Data Ad-Free
16th June 2014, 03:07 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Excellent, thank you so much!

The process is pretty much very similar to that of the HTC One X then.

Unlock bootloader, flash kernel, reboot into recovery, flash rom - Enjoy customised Xperia Z2.

Thanks again
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)