custom rom for my motorola defy mb525

Search This thread

dabanhfreak

Feb 23, 2013
Melbourne
OnePlus One
its on 2.1 right now and Id like to install a different version. even a custom rom, what should i do?
after looking a bit i want this rom: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1161110
or this Cm 7 rom: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1033654

i see froyo everywhere, what does it mean? is it a kernel? how do i install? can i get a full tutorial? thanks.

Android 2.1= Eclair
Android 2.2= Froyo

You can't do anything until you update to 2.2

Search for RSD Lite to flash Froyo SBF files (ie stock ROMs). Plenty of info in this forum. Remember to wipe data & cache after flash.

After that, root, install 2nd-init.

For custom ROM I recommend CM10 4.1.2 since CM7 is a bit outdated.

Bei60

Aug 6, 2012
Android 2.1= Eclair
Android 2.2= Froyo

You can't do anything until you update to 2.2

Search for RSD Lite to flash Froyo SBF files (ie stock ROMs). Plenty of info in this forum. Remember to wipe data & cache after flash.

After that, root, install 2nd-init.

For custom ROM I recommend CM10 4.1.2 since CM7 is a bit outdated.

can i get a download link to froyo 2.2?

Schattenspieler

Oct 18, 2011
Read the wiki for DEFY and/or the Q&A-Threads/Guides. They shall answer your basic questions (hence the name) ...

ps:
To prevent spam to the forums, new users must wait five minutes between posts. All new user accounts will be verified by moderators before this restriction is removed.
Yeah, right: even for editing posts? wow!

Last edited:

Bei60

Aug 6, 2012
Read the wiki for DEFY and/or the Q&A-Threads/Guides. They shall answer your basic questions (hence the name) ...

ps: Yeah, right: even for editing posts? wow!

I have read it and did not understand what to download or is it safe for my phone... One peace of info, leads me to another and I get confused.

Schattenspieler

Oct 18, 2011
Ok, so what exactly is your problem? chandujram linked the beginners guide, where you may find that you need RSDLite (the flashing tool) and a SBF file to flash matching your phone and region (and provider if you want) - both are linked in the thread. Follow the instructions to flash the SBF to your phone and you have Froyo/Gingerbread. This thread should give you a clue, what SBF is Froyo or Gingerbread - and what bootloader they bring. you have read and understood, that certain bootloader versions come with some restrictions, haven't you? Good. Then follow the instructions in the thread for the rom you posted.

Last edited:

Bei60

Aug 6, 2012
Ok, so what exactly is your problem? chandujram linked the beginners guide, where you may find that you need RSDLite (the flashing tool) and a SBF file to flash matching your phone and region (and provider if you want) - both are linked in the thread. Follow the instructions to flash the SBF to your phone and you have Froyo/Gingerbread. This thread should give you a clue, what SBF is Froyo or Gingerbread - and what bootloader they bring. you have read and understood, that certain bootloader versions come with some restrictions, haven't you? Good. Then follow the instructions in the thread for the rom you posted.

after reading this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=966537
I didn't understand which version is for me. I know how to use the RSDLite tool, and I know how to root, I just need to be told which version to download.

Schattenspieler

Oct 18, 2011
Ok, what provider do you have, in what country do you live/use your phone and what Android version shall it be after flashing?

Bei60

Aug 6, 2012
Ok, what provider do you have, in what country do you live/use your phone and what Android version shall it be after flashing?

I live in Israel. My carrier is Orange but I believe it previously belonged to Cellcom (another carrier).
I want to install CM7 because it seems awesome but it requires froyo 2.2 in order to flash. And Im on stock 2.1

Schattenspieler

Oct 18, 2011
@rizeN50:
Have you even read the thread? He ain't on Froyo or Gingerbread, yet.
@Bei60:
Well, Israel makes it quite easy, doesn't it? The SBF-list only shows one entry for Israel and the other thread shows only one entry, too. Either of them should be fine, but I didn't check them. If in doubt, take the one from the SBF-list. But I don't know, if they're GB oder Froyo.