[SOLVED] Why is my custom boot animation not working?

Search This thread

lynchyy89

Feb 17, 2013
It's interesting that I had exactly the same problem you did when I used your animation zip. And the image names were the issue.

By the way, you remember you'd made an off hand remark about changing the image formats to PNG? It's quite possible that this could be a solution (Lol...funny that you'd have come up with it yourself) given the numerical names of the images.

Only reason I point this out is that I've seen a couple other animations with numerical names and they all were PNG format (well not all but the vasy majority of those zips).

Bottom line as you said...it couldn't hurt to try though it would clearly be a pain to execute. Yet, we learn from the experience.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 7040D using XDA Free mobile app

I have a batch renamer so will be quick and easy :D yet to try the png zip, will transfer to my phone when I get 5 minutes to see if that works

Sent from my D6603 using XDA Free mobile app

CVAngelo

Mar 24, 2015
Praia
investincv.blogspot.com
Actually, I don't think you can simply rename the JPG files with a PNG extension. You have to load each one individually into a program like Paint and save as PNG. It's a pain as there tend to be so many files in these animations.

By the way, what is this batch renamer program of which you speak. How does it work? Is it an MS-DOS type bat file or what? I can see some use for this. Where can I find it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

lynchyy89

Feb 17, 2013
Actually, I don't think you can simply rename the JPG files with a PNG extension. You have to load each one individually into a program like Paint and save as PNG. It's a pain as there tend to be so many files in these animations.

By the way, what is this batch renamer program of which you speak. How does it work? Is it an MS-DOS type bat file or what? I can see some use for this. Where can I find it.

I don't rename them I use FastStone photo resizer to conver file type from JPG to PNG and other way round, and I use a program called Advanced Renamer 3.65 to rename files.. Faststone does have the rename feature but I prefer the advanced renamer because its so easy and simple to use

Reactions: CVAngelo

lynchyy89

Feb 17, 2013
Ok I get it. Thanks for the references to those software tools. Sound very useful. Let me know how it all turns out.

FIXED! was something as simple as just renaming the files! I decided to add image to the start eg: image00001 ect and eurika! It runs as it should :thumbup: I also changed folder names and carried on the sequence over 2 folders.. But thankfully it works! But Thank you for taking the time to help out, its much appreciated :)

CVAngelo

Mar 24, 2015
Praia
investincv.blogspot.com
Way to go!

FIXED! was something as simple as just renaming the files! I decided to add image to the start eg: image00001 ect and eurika! It runs as it should :thumbup: I also changed folder names and carried on the sequence over 2 folders.. But thankfully it works! But Thank you for taking the time to help out, its much appreciated :)

Excellent! I'm happy it all worked out. Glad to have been of help. I knew if we stuck with it, we'd get to the bottom of the mystery. Man, hard to believe that it was something so simple. Who would imagine? So now we know. LOL. Hopefully our escapade of 2 whole pages here on this thread may help others in future.

Meanwhile, I've gone ahead and downloaded those two utilities you mentioned!

Reactions: lynchyy89

lynchyy89

Feb 17, 2013
Excellent! I'm happy it all worked out. Glad to have been of help. I knew if we stuck with it, we'd get to the bottom of the mystery. Man, hard to believe that it was something so simple. Who would imagine? So now we know. LOL. Hopefully our escapade of 2 whole pages here on this thread may help others in future.

Meanwhile, I've gone ahead and downloaded those two utilities you mentioned!

As I was always told, you'll never get anywhere if you give up at the first hurdle. And that's always the way that its something so simple that gets in the way, and excellent! Both brilliant and speedy pieces of software :)

janvantonder

Aug 17, 2007
Thumbs.db

My Bootanimation.zip file was not working / not showing up at all. In my case it turns out Windows created (hidden) Thumbs.db files in the graphics directories and that confused my phone.

Hope that helps someone.

lynchyy89

Feb 17, 2013
My Bootanimation.zip file was not working / not showing up at all. In my case it turns out Windows created (hidden) Thumbs.db files in the graphics directories and that confused my phone.

Hope that helps someone.

I had this, its quite simple to disable windows from creating them

G.S Khokhar

Feb 8, 2016
Boot Animation not working

I have coolpad mi-496. I am trying to change bootanimation, but not succeded. This phone strucked on boot 2 times and I flashed it ROM downloaded fron xda. Thank you for the ROM. Kindly tell what to do when phone became soft brick like this.?

CVAngelo

Mar 24, 2015
Praia
investincv.blogspot.com
I have coolpad mi-496. I am trying to change bootanimation, but not succeded. This phone strucked on boot 2 times and I flashed it ROM downloaded fron xda. Thank you for the ROM. Kindly tell what to do when phone became soft brick like this.?
We can't help you unless you give more details! Please describe how you went about changing the boot animation. What tools did you use? Did you make sure you used image files of the correct dimension for your screen? What files in what directories did you change/replace?

Yes, you can easily create a bootloop or prevent your device from properly booting if you make the wrong changes in the boot animation. So we need to know what you did to help understand what caused the phone to soft-brick.

The easiest way to recover from a soft-brick caused by mucking with the boot animation is to backup your phone using your custom recovery BEFORE mucking with it, then flashing your backup immediately after you brick it! The harder way is to hope you still have access via fastboot and then replace the boot animation files you mucked with using the backups of the original files that you presumably saved.

itsmedRb

Oct 14, 2015
Kolkata
I have created this wasting whole day but it does not work. Can anyone help me out what I have done errors thanks?
here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3-NCstEO255VEJIazVaWi1pdG8/view?usp=docslist_api

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

I spend a whole lazy sunday designing a custom boot animation.
It's supposed to look like that (two parts):

[Left: part0 - play once] [Right: part1 - loop]

Device: HTC Legend with CyanogenMod 6.1.0 (Android 2.2.1 Froyo).
I created a file bootanimation.zip (not compressed), following this howto I found on addictivetips.com
My Legend is rooted
I use ROM Manager to reboot into Recovery
I move the files to their destion directories with adb commands.

But when I store it in /data/local or in system/media and reboot my phone, only the first part (part0) is played. Then the animation stops, a black screen is displayed for about ten seconds, then the Enter PIN screen appears. I tried almost everything to make part1 visible:
Deleting and re-installing the animation with different parameters
Changing values in desc.txt (below)
Re-processing the .png files (8bit, 24bit, resizing etc.)
Changing the .png file names

My desc.txt:
320 480 24
p 1 10 part0
p 0 0 part1

Can someone tell me what is wrong with the attached bootanimation_NOTWORKING.zip file?
pls help me

CVAngelo

Mar 24, 2015
Praia
investincv.blogspot.com

flaxx187

Jun 23, 2013
Google Pixel 6a
hey
i wanna make a bootanimation from sony until my lockscreen.

my desc.txt is
1080 1920 30
p 0 0 part0
p 0 0 part1
p 0 0 part2
i put it in /system/media
premission (via root explorer)
read: own group other
write: own
other :
right on oktal is the number 0644 rw-r--r--

but is doesn't work

what happend when i edit the last two "p" from txt in "c" ?
or
i reboot my phone without some bootanimation.zip (i deleted one time)
could be the reason ?

1)Open a Root Explorer app or any file manager with root permissions.

2)Go to /system

3)Mount folder in R/W and open build.prop in text editor

4)Scroll to the very bottom and enter

Code:
debug.sf.nobootanimation=1

5)Save and Exit. A full reboot is required to see that this works.

You can change =1 to =0 to disable this. Or simply delete the line that was added.
haven't the "debug.sf.nobootanimation" in my build.prop could that the fault ?

Last edited:

Officeryanki

Sep 8, 2017
I'm bringing this post alive again because it is relevant to a solution i found.
I don't know if the "actual" solution was posted earlier in this issue, but i'm to lazy to check.
So i had the exact same problem with my boot animation, and i figured out that my problem was in my desc.txt
1080 1920 33
p 1 0 part0
p 0 0 part1
the "p" represents the type of way we are playing it.
We have to replace it with a "c" so that it continues playing after the actual booting is done.
1080 1920 33
c 1 0 part0
c 0 0 part1
Hope this helps!!!

Jun 29, 2018
I'm bringing this post alive again because it is relevant to a solution i found.
I don't know if the "actual" solution was posted earlier in this issue, but i'm to lazy to check.
So i had the exact same problem with my boot animation, and i figured out that my problem was in my desc.txt

the "p" represents the type of way we are playing it.
We have to replace it with a "c" so that it continues playing after the actual booting is done.

Hope this helps!!!

Had this issue with +700 frame bootanimation.zip, wouldnt get very far at first.

I had to delete the poweron.ogg sound effect, it was somehow triggering boot completion.

After that it would get too about frame 250 but then phone boot would complete and it would stop.
I can confirm the above solution of changing

P into C

Does force the boot animation to play thru completly without a loop, i wouldnt do rhis with a loop for obv. reasons.

Anyways, i wamted too thank everyone, but special shout out for the answer that really got me what i needed!

Wow...what a mystery! Something is definitely funky. Here's what happened. So I unpacked and converted all your images to the size of my test phone which is 320 x 480. I created the zip file with the retro animation in part0 and the XPERIA animation in part1. I have other animations that are in multiple folders and they all work perfectly. In this case, my phone did not play part1. But I did not get a black screen. It just got stuck on the last image in the part0 folder. My reaction can be described in 3 letters - WTF?

THEN MY PHONE THREW AN ERROR MESSAGE WHICH I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE. So this may be a clue. The message said: "Update time failed, please try again later." The phone eventually booted to the home screen as normal.

So I got to thinking. Perhaps your frame-rate was way too slow. So I changed it to 30 frames per second. Same result! Stuck on last image in the part0 folder. But then there was another clue. It got to that 85th image like a rocket and before the boot music could finish. Well what ever is happening in the background to throw this error also stopped THE BOOT MUSIC dead in it's tracks. That is really freaking amazing, So my conclusion is that somehow, something is making the boot animation process "believe" it is done. But it ain't.

Then I figured that perhaps the problem was that the images in part1 were not following the numbering sequence of the images in part0 as the numbering sequence started over again at 0. So I renumbered all the images in part1 starting with 85. But again, same damn result! It simply refused to play the second folder.

So then I had to prove that it was not something funky with the last image of the part0 or the first image in part1. So I moved all the images to a single folder and VIOLÁ, it played the whole thing. Thus proving that there is no problem with the images themselves. But of course, this is not the solution because you want the XPERIA images to repeat and not just play once. So how to make the second folder play?

I tried another tweak. I thought, since the frame rate is 30 per second which means part0 is gonna be done in under 3 seconds flat, what if I change the number of times to repeat from 1 to say 3 or 4? Same result! It plays just once and refuses to play the second folder.

So stupid me, I'm thinking, maybe there is a limit to how many images can be in a single folder if there is a follow on folder. I only guessed at this because the STOCK boot image for Alcatel phones of this type has even more images than your animation and they are in 6 folders! One of those folders had 58 images, but none had 85. So my last step was to split your images into 3 folders -essentially, took your part0 and split it into two (part0 and part1), and the final was part2 with the XPEDIA animation which was to repeat. You won't believe this, but it refused to go past the first folder! So same result!!!

So back to the ERROR message. I began to look into it further. Obviously, after it gets past the very first folder, it is trying to update something. But what? And why does it fail. So I started looking at the OWNERSHIP of the bootanimation. I'm using Root Browser. I can set the permissions of the file equal to those of every other bootnaimation zip that is inside my /system/media folder. I set the owner of the file to 0:Root. But for some reason, I cannot change the owner of the group to 0:Root like the stock file and my other bootanimation files. The group owner stays at 1015:sdcard_rw. That's the only "invisible" difference between this boot animation zip and all the others I am using. I'm also not sure if this ownership thing has anything to do with the problem.

Now, what I cannot figure out is what on earth is it about this file that would be any different than all my other files??? I'm now also totally stumped by something that should be so simple. I've done this so many times before. It must be something so simple we are just missing it. I'll keep trying (I have one final idea to test...will lt you know how it goes).
Heyyyyy
Can u test my boot animation?
It was made for oppo a5s (720×1520)
+ My original boot animation desc.txt has some arguments like (global , offsetx, offsety) and this is werid ( but normal because of the small pics of the original boot animation). So it is normal that my boot animation does not have these arguments except for ( width, height , fps )?

It's interesting that I had exactly the same problem you did when I used your animation zip. And the image names were the issue.

By the way, you remember you'd made an off hand remark about changing the image formats to PNG? It's quite possible that this could be a solution (Lol...funny that you'd have come up with it yourself) given the numerical names of the images.

Only reason I point this out is that I've seen a couple other animations with numerical names and they all were PNG format (well not all but the vasy majority of those zips).

Bottom line as you said...it couldn't hurt to try though it would clearly be a pain to execute. Yet, we learn from the experience.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 7040D using XDA Free mobile app
Here are my boot animation
Boot animation
Shutdown boot animation

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the same problem as author of this tread. What return line do you mean and in which quoted text? Plz answer. I really want to make my own bootanimation.

In the "desc.txt" place all the info in it that's required. In my case it was all one line. If you have multiple lines go to the end of the last line and press "enter".
    That's what solved my problem.

If that doesn't happen, it won't boot.
    Solved!

After comparing mine to the original Cyanogenmod bootanimation, I did some more modifications to the animation:
    • reduced image sizes to 256x384
    • named files in consecutive order (even across folders) from fair_00000.png to fair_00026.png without leaving out a single number
    • named the folders android + part1
    Which one did the trick? I don't know, but the attached file actually works.
    Thanks for your help.
    I spend a whole lazy sunday designing a custom boot animation.
    It's supposed to look like that (two parts):

fairAnimated-work-320x480-0.gif
    fairAnimated-work-320x480-1.gif

[Left: part0 - play once] [Right: part1 - loop]

Device: HTC Legend with CyanogenMod 6.1.0 (Android 2.2.1 Froyo).
    I created a file bootanimation.zip (not compressed), following this howto I found on addictivetips.com
    • My Legend is rooted
    • I use ROM Manager to reboot into Recovery
    • I move the files to their destion directories with adb commands.
    But when I store it in /data/local or in system/media and reboot my phone, only the first part (part0) is played. Then the animation stops, a black screen is displayed for about ten seconds, then the Enter PIN screen appears. I tried almost everything to make part1 visible:
    • Deleting and re-installing the animation with different parameters
    • Changing values in desc.txt (below)
    • Re-processing the .png files (8bit, 24bit, resizing etc.)
    • Changing the .png file names

My desc.txt:
    320 480 24
    p 1 10 part0
    p 0 0 part1

Can someone tell me what is wrong with the attached bootanimation_NOTWORKING.zip file?
    Have had this problem once too with a bootanimation.
    Try renaming the map part0 to android and put everything in one line
    For you it should be like this:

I don't intend to bring a thread back from the dead, though I know that's exactly what I'm doing, but I have a purpose. Presenting a "known" solution.

I did a Google search 'cause I was having this same problem, and this thread got me on track. The portion of this thread got me thinking in the right direction to resolve this problem.

There needs to be a return line following the sequence presented in the quoted text. It is what I believe solved this issue.
    In the "desc.txt" place all the info in it that's required. In my case it was all one line. If you have multiple lines go to the end of the last line and press "enter".
    That's what solved my problem.

If that doesn't happen, it won't boot.

Wow. Magic. One more line and whole bootanimation is working. Thanks.