Battery/Kernel Dilema Advice/assitance

Search This thread

deathskater

Apr 4, 2012
Well the thing is I don't know wich kernel to pair up with Hellfire Phoenix 2.1 so far it's what I have liked the most.

The stock kernel gives funky battery readings, I tried trinity ELP kernel but my phone doesn't last much as I'd like it to maybe I'm asking for too much from my g2x.

So what I would like to know is what kernel should I try for the best battery lifespan I am normally using 4g with pandora but while giving it this use and texting from time to time /checking facebook it doesn't last me through half a day I start using the phone from around 6-6:30 Am and by 1 pm my phone is at 20%. I give it breaks of around 1-3 hours in wich I disable data/ I also keep sync and wifi disabled.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and +Thanks will be given to those that are helpful

PS.I have yet to try Eaglesblood 2.3.7 is it worth compared to hellfire ?

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
Using data on the phone like Pandora and Facebook for one hour will drop my battery about 15-20% on 4g so, 5 hours worth is about normal in my opinion if you plan on doing that all the time I suggest extra batteries or extended. You're simply asking too much IMO!

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Reactions: deathskater

deathskater

Apr 4, 2012
Using data on the phone like Pandora and Facebook for one hour will drop my battery about 15-20% on 4g so, 5 hours worth is about normal in my opinion if you plan on doing that all the time I suggest extra batteries or extended. You're simply asking too much IMO!

Thought so "( Either way With what Kernel could I get the best out of hellfire phoenix 2.1? Also I'm confused on some things like with the trinity ELP kernel it says it's 1.1ghz/UC does that mean it is undervolted while being overclocked by 100mhz (just making sure) also in CM settings I have the option of setting the cpu speed.. now if I set it lets sayy 750mhz is it also undervolting it?

I'm sure I don't need 1ghz for the use I give it most of the time I could just change it back when I
m in the mood for gaming or does this scale depending on the task?

Sorry for so many questions I'm still new to this and I want to be sure of everything

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
Thought so "( Either way With what Kernel could I get the best out of hellfire phoenix 2.1? Also I'm confused on some things like with the trinity ELP kernel it says it's 1.1ghz/UC does that mean it is undervolted while being overclocked by 100mhz (just making sure) also in CM settings I have the option of setting the cpu speed.. now if I set it lets sayy 750mhz is it also undervolting it?

I'm sure I don't need 1ghz for the use I give it most of the time I could just change it back when I
m in the mood for gaming or does this scale depending on the task?

Sorry for so many questions I'm still new to this and I want to be sure of everything

I'd say either the kernel you have now or Faux UV version... look up the thread that shows "how to undervolt" (or something close) and go that route if you truly want to get the best battery life (I don't undervolt as I get the battery I need for my daily activities.)

deathskater

Apr 4, 2012
I'd say either the kernel you have now or Faux UV version... look up the thread that shows "how to undervolt" (or something close) and go that route if you truly want to get the best battery life (I don't undervolt as I get the battery I need for my daily activities.)

So Faux123 Kernels are the ones people use the most for what I've seen.

I'm not sure wich faux kernel I have It says 2.6.32.56 CM7 Faux123-049, I checked the thread and latest is 0.48 soo I'm a bit lost there

I've also seen some people say they prefer the trinity kernel because it was released later.

I've tried both the stock Faux that comes with hellfire and the trinity I do not see any difference whatsoever in battery life or stability ( trinity does score significantly higher on benchmarks)

Last edited:

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
I could careless about benchmarks haven't ran one since I got this phone and oc'ed it to 1.5 to see what would happen... other wise they are just options some of our phones can't handle certain kernels... play with them and see which you like more. My only advice is faux cm version lol ds causes the funky readings.

cricketAC

Aug 5, 2011
faux 049b5 is for ICS roms, 048 is for GB roms. Don't mix them up or rom won't boot.

Doing anything on 4g will drain your battery much faster. If you can switch to 2g/3g networks while not using data, it can save a lot of battery power. Try Juicedefender ultimate also. It helps in toggling/switching options for you.

Every phone is different plus everyonez preferences/usage are unique. Best bet is to try both for a week or so and then decide for yourself.

deathskater

Apr 4, 2012
faux 049b5 is for ICS roms, 048 is for GB roms. Don't mix them up or rom won't boot.

Doing anything on 4g will drain your battery much faster. If you can switch to 2g/3g networks while not using data, it can save a lot of battery power. Try Juicedefender ultimate also. It helps in toggling/switching options for you.

Every phone is different plus everyonez preferences/usage are unique. Best bet is to try both for a week or so and then decide for yourself.

I am not mixing anything Up that was the information given my kernel information in the about phone section what I wish to know wich faux kernel I actually have.

deathskater

Apr 4, 2012
Anyways I flashed the 1.1ghz/UV Faux it's working with no problems so far I'll stick with this unless it gives me any kind of problem. I will look forward on getting me one of those 3500mah batteries Price/performance they seem worth it though the phone would be fat haha but w.e I like using my data without worrying of low battery through the day.

This is unrelated but just throwing it out there. The Camera ICS+ works great I see an improvement in picture quality compared to the stock and the interface is lovely :)

korny647

Mar 14, 2012
Portland OR
Have you not been reading anything on any of these forum's?

I know your new to this ( as you stated) but you keep asking questions that can easily be answered by just searching and reading the forums,

i keep trying to help you by (doing the searching for you) but you just keep asking the same questions over and over,

you have like at least three different forums were you keep asking about kernal's ( and in several of them i have giving you links that should answer just about every thing you need to know about kernals) if you would actually just read them.

Im not trying to flame you... its just that you keep making new threads asking pretty much the same stuff, we can tell if someone is taking the easy way out and just saying that "they searched and didn't find any thing"

the people on here that would actually help you out, know better.
because they read the forums just about every day so we know how many forums that are out their, on subjects such as kernals, like the 3 threads you started asking about them.

so again read and most of your questions will be answerd... :)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1073626

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1389069

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1558080

Last edited:

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
He's right only reason I answered and didn't reply in this manner, was cause you typed out so much and I felt bad for you lol... If you answer I don't have time to read and such, then you shouldn't even have time to root the device. Laziness is pretty frowned upon on XDA. The more you read the more you would find out that everyone has different experiences with kernels. Try them out and figure it out on your own... if you have thread already about a kernel or a specific rom to choose stick to that thread and don't make a new one, as it just causes clutter for people that do use the search function, as when they search for something like "which kernel" they get
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1594216&highlight=which+kernel
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1558080&highlight=which+kernel
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1586616&highlight=which+kernel
even more particular in the Hellfire 2.1 thread search "which kernel" and get this
http://xdaforums.com/search.php?searchid=11147041

not so hard!

Reactions: korny647

korny647

Mar 14, 2012
Portland OR

Klathmon

May 1, 2011
you have like at least three different forums were you keep asking about kernal's...

...just about every thing you need to know about kernals...

...on subjects such as kernals...

ugh please, before i kill myself... its kernel... not kernal *shivers*

its a HUGE pet peeve of mine... :D

IRASadPanda

Dec 30, 2011
Johns Creek
Well the thing is I don't know wich kernel to pair up with Hellfire Phoenix 2.1 so far it's what I have liked the most.

The stock kernel gives funky battery readings, I tried trinity ELP kernel but my phone doesn't last much as I'd like it to maybe I'm asking for too much from my g2x.

So what I would like to know is what kernel should I try for the best battery lifespan I am normally using 4g with pandora but while giving it this use and texting from time to time /checking facebook it doesn't last me through half a day I start using the phone from around 6-6:30 Am and by 1 pm my phone is at 20%. I give it breaks of around 1-3 hours in wich I disable data/ I also keep sync and wifi disabled.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and +Thanks will be given to those that are helpful

PS.I have yet to try Eaglesblood 2.3.7 is it worth compared to hellfire ?

ELP voltages are probably too low for you, thus actually causing higher drain. Try the T15 and under volt until you find your sweet spot

Sent from Narnia

Top Liked Posts