[Apps] Recommended Apps for Omate Truesmart / x201

Search This thread

fg

Aug 3, 2006
This is a quick thread to track some of the apps I've tried out and have kept or haven't gotten to work. Most of these where downloaded from the Play Store using the APK and method described by Lokifish's Info thread.

Post your favorite apps and ideas

Best Hardware Mod Ever:
- Drill holes to access power and home in the dock

- highly recommended general apps
-- chrome - browser works well
-- gmd gesture control - create custom gesture controls available in all apps. needs lokifish security patch to request superuser access. I've disabled all the default gestures and made some user gestures for home, volume control, change input method, and search buttons (diagonal swipes from each corner)
-- lux - lower the brightness to level below 0% for better low-light visibility and some battery savings. Has options to use the camera for automatic brightness settings, but I have the manual bar in my notification tray
-- mx player - video player with gesture controls
-- no lock - disables touch screen events, can be triggered via the hardware camera key (remapped thanks to xposed additions) to minimize accidental actions and unintended battery drain
-- sambadroid - fileserver on your wrist, great way to move files around on your wrist
-- sharekm - use your computer keyboard and mouse to control the screen over wifi and bluetooth
-- swipe statusbar - temporarily show the statusbar in other apps
-- watchfaces - the version on play seems to work better for me

- recommended xposed modules
-- ultimate dynamic nav bar - AMAZING bottom on-screen navigation bar module for xposed framework. I have it setup with back, home, menu, recent apps, vol+, vol-, and hide navbar on screen. There's a light version on the play store, but the author has the full version in his thread above. worth the cost to support the dev!
-- app settings - set per application dpi, density, and rotation overrides.... without rebooting!
-- gravitybox - general tweaks and setting for mtk based devices
-- xposed additions - allows you to reassign the functions of the 2 physical buttons for better customisation. supports single press, multiple presses, long presses. I have the home button long press mapped to the android camera action to trigger "no touch" screen locking

- working companion app options (none are perfect. none can easily turn on the screen and display the alert when locked. however everyone has their own needs for companion applications. )
-- m2d my second device - recieve alerts and control media players over bluetooth. a bit complicated to configure and still in early development, but functional. Author is active on XDA and has been working with smartwatches forever.
-- omate companion app from ostore + truesmart master app from play - limited functionality at the moment, passes notifications as recieved on the phone which means often you'll get an alert that there are "3 new messages", no way to respond
-- swapp link - recieve and reply to sms, answer and make calls, recieve alerts, control media players. easier to configure than m2d
-- tablet talk - answer calls, receive and reply to sms (messenger app only) to your phone from the omate over bluetooth (flakey) or wifi (power hungry). requires adjustment of dpi for use

- untested companion app options
-- notisync - listed as working on galaxy gear forums and has a good truesmart review on play. potential battery hog
-- pushbullet -
-- tablet notifier - listed on galaxy gear forums, reviews indicate connectivity problems

- working
-- big launcher - home launcher replacement designed with big ui elements
-- dropbox - requires dpi modification (use app settings xposed module) to access all the ui
-- easytether pro - tether your phone's connectivity to your watch
-- es explorer - popular file manager, I mainly use it for easy smb share browsing / streaming
-- Firefox - browser works well too although a bit slow.
-- flit keyboard - great small form factor keyboard
-- foldersync - sync folders to cloud systems
-- foscam viewer - ip cam viewer, ui elements are a bit large but otherwise working
-- gmd hide soft keys - "once rooted ... makes life much easier as it gives you soft keys to use"
-- pocket - offline web page viewing
-- nova launcher - works well
-- swype keyboard - i like it better than fleksy
-- titanium backup - scheduled backups
-- total commander - classic file manager with networking plug-ins for everyday use
-- Twitter - works well ... you can tap on a tweet to automatically zooms up a more readable size.
-- Yahoo weather - works great

- non-working
-- blueputdroid - use your watch as a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. incompatible bluetooth stack
-- Tweetcaster - doesn't refresh and gets stuck on an old date

- testing
-- datasync+ - paid version supports sync of app and data files over bluetooth. still haven't finished testing!

Last edited:

syounger64

Mar 25, 2012
Twitter works well but not tweetcaster which is my fav. Tweetcaster for some reason doesn't refresh and gets stuck on an old date. Twitter is nice as you can tap on a tweet to automatically zooms up a more readable size.

Yahoo weather works great,

Firefox browser works well too although a bit slow.

I'm doing this with WiFi directly connected to my home WiFi. Can't wait for the Bluetooth connectivity to be fixed so I can use the internet shared with my phone.

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 AM ----------

This is useful and has a list we can build on:

http://omatetruesmart.wikispaces.com/OS+and+Apps

fg

Aug 3, 2006
Even with font set to small, the Dropbox screen offers no way to log in or use app.

There's an xposed module called "App Settings" which will allow you to change the dpi for just the dropbox application. May be worth a try. I know foldersync supports dropbox, but I don't make much use of my dropbox account so I couldn't say

Reactions: WakeArray

Tom19146

Feb 6, 2014
Philadelphia, PA, USA
There's an xposed module called "App Settings" which will allow you to change the dpi for just the dropbox application. May be worth a try. I know foldersync supports dropbox, but I don't make much use of my dropbox account so I couldn't say

Is that xposed module already on my device from the ROM and the Loki patch? Or if not where do I obtain it?

marsonist

Apr 14, 2005
I absolutely love the News+ paid version. It's a news reader that will actually read out Google News and your individual RSS feeds. I can listen to the news while getting ready in the morning without having to drag my phone along with me. I've also installed the Ivona text-to-speech which significantly increases the quality of the voice.

They both work perfectly and have added amazing value to the Truesmart for me.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: smart1

Tom19146

Feb 6, 2014
Philadelphia, PA, USA
A dremel 'hack' to access buttons while in cradle/dock

Not an App, but I wasn't sure where best to post this.

While waiting for a better method, I took my dremel with its thinnest drill bit and carefully drilled two holes in the cradle/doc. This, with a toothpick, lets me access the buttons while it is in the doc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 604
Reactions: moviecut and fg

fg

Aug 3, 2006
I absolutely love the News+ paid version. It's a news reader that will actually read out Google News and your individual RSS feeds. I can listen to the news while getting ready in the morning without having to drag my phone along with me. I've also installed the Ivona text-to-speech which significantly increases the quality of the voice.

They both work perfectly and have added amazing value to the Truesmart for me.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

news+ with text to speach is being installed as we speak.

Reactions: Tom19146

BurnQc

Apr 12, 2010
Sorel-Tracy
Dropbox works on mine :

1) After the installation, you have the 'How to screen', Goto the last page, you will see a blue line a the bottom
you have to click on it (It takes to me few try)

2)Once it's done, on the other page, you will see a 'Login' link, click on it and enter your email / password

3)Once you are logged in, you will have a popup to enable 'Auto sync picture' just swipe back (right to left) to dismiss it.

4)If you want to enable 'Auto sync picture', swipe left to right, Settings popup (will display) and then you will be able to activate the auto sync

SteveD01

Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Dropbox works on mine :

1) After the installation, you have the 'How to screen', Goto the last page, you will see a blue line a the bottom
you have to click on it (It takes to me few try)
This didn't work for me on my Omate TrueSmart - couldn't view enough of the screen to see a blue line.

But I was able to get DropBox working well on the TrueSmart by using a bluetooth keyboard to log in. Connecting a bluetooth keyboard to the TrueSmart solved many difficulties I was having entering passwords with the small on-screen keyboard.

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
This didn't work for me on my Omate TrueSmart - couldn't view enough of the screen to see a blue line.

But I was able to get DropBox working well on the TrueSmart by using a bluetooth keyboard to log in. Connecting a bluetooth keyboard to the TrueSmart solved many difficulties I was having entering passwords with the small on-screen keyboard.

Works fine with the patch which you should have applied as soon as you got your device.

Last edited:
Reactions: WakeArray

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a quick thread to track some of the apps I've tried out and have kept or haven't gotten to work. Most of these where downloaded from the Play Store using the APK and method described by Lokifish's Info thread.

Post your favorite apps and ideas

Best Hardware Mod Ever:
    - Drill holes to access power and home in the dock

- highly recommended general apps
    -- chrome - browser works well
    -- gmd gesture control - create custom gesture controls available in all apps. needs lokifish security patch to request superuser access. I've disabled all the default gestures and made some user gestures for home, volume control, change input method, and search buttons (diagonal swipes from each corner)
    -- lux - lower the brightness to level below 0% for better low-light visibility and some battery savings. Has options to use the camera for automatic brightness settings, but I have the manual bar in my notification tray
    -- mx player - video player with gesture controls
    -- no lock - disables touch screen events, can be triggered via the hardware camera key (remapped thanks to xposed additions) to minimize accidental actions and unintended battery drain
    -- sambadroid - fileserver on your wrist, great way to move files around on your wrist
    -- sharekm - use your computer keyboard and mouse to control the screen over wifi and bluetooth
    -- swipe statusbar - temporarily show the statusbar in other apps
    -- watchfaces - the version on play seems to work better for me

- recommended xposed modules
    -- ultimate dynamic nav bar - AMAZING bottom on-screen navigation bar module for xposed framework. I have it setup with back, home, menu, recent apps, vol+, vol-, and hide navbar on screen. There's a light version on the play store, but the author has the full version in his thread above. worth the cost to support the dev!
    -- app settings - set per application dpi, density, and rotation overrides.... without rebooting!
    -- gravitybox - general tweaks and setting for mtk based devices
    -- xposed additions - allows you to reassign the functions of the 2 physical buttons for better customisation. supports single press, multiple presses, long presses. I have the home button long press mapped to the android camera action to trigger "no touch" screen locking

- working companion app options (none are perfect. none can easily turn on the screen and display the alert when locked. however everyone has their own needs for companion applications. )
    -- m2d my second device - recieve alerts and control media players over bluetooth. a bit complicated to configure and still in early development, but functional. Author is active on XDA and has been working with smartwatches forever.
    -- omate companion app from ostore + truesmart master app from play - limited functionality at the moment, passes notifications as recieved on the phone which means often you'll get an alert that there are "3 new messages", no way to respond
    -- swapp link - recieve and reply to sms, answer and make calls, recieve alerts, control media players. easier to configure than m2d
    -- tablet talk - answer calls, receive and reply to sms (messenger app only) to your phone from the omate over bluetooth (flakey) or wifi (power hungry). requires adjustment of dpi for use

- untested companion app options
    -- notisync - listed as working on galaxy gear forums and has a good truesmart review on play. potential battery hog
    -- pushbullet -
    -- tablet notifier - listed on galaxy gear forums, reviews indicate connectivity problems

- working
    -- big launcher - home launcher replacement designed with big ui elements
    -- dropbox - requires dpi modification (use app settings xposed module) to access all the ui
    -- easytether pro - tether your phone's connectivity to your watch
    -- es explorer - popular file manager, I mainly use it for easy smb share browsing / streaming
    -- Firefox - browser works well too although a bit slow.
    -- flit keyboard - great small form factor keyboard
    -- foldersync - sync folders to cloud systems
    -- foscam viewer - ip cam viewer, ui elements are a bit large but otherwise working
    -- gmd hide soft keys - "once rooted ... makes life much easier as it gives you soft keys to use"
    -- pocket - offline web page viewing
    -- nova launcher - works well
    -- swype keyboard - i like it better than fleksy
    -- titanium backup - scheduled backups
    -- total commander - classic file manager with networking plug-ins for everyday use
    -- Twitter - works well ... you can tap on a tweet to automatically zooms up a more readable size.
    -- Yahoo weather - works great

- non-working
    -- blueputdroid - use your watch as a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. incompatible bluetooth stack
    -- Tweetcaster - doesn't refresh and gets stuck on an old date

- testing
    -- datasync+ - paid version supports sync of app and data files over bluetooth. still haven't finished testing!
    While waiting for a better method, I took my dremel with its thinnest drill bit and carefully drilled two holes in the cradle/doc. This, with a toothpick, lets me access the buttons while it is in the doc.

I used a drill with a small bit on mine. Highly recommended !

etu7u6u4.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Is that xposed module already on my device from the ROM and the Loki patch? Or if not where do I obtain it?

The new patch (coming out today) adds the build.prop edits back which fixes the size issue for almost every app.
    For anyone wanting a different keyboard with more screen space, try Flit Keyboard it's free... set the 1st keyboard to be alpha reduced and the 2nd to be numeric... :)
    A dremel 'hack' to access buttons while in cradle/dock

Not an App, but I wasn't sure where best to post this.