[Q] Method for rooting Xperia with unlocked bootloader

Search This thread

omicorn

May 14, 2014
Hi!

So finally my old phone gave up and I decided to go for Xperia SP thinking I would flash Cyanogenmod on it. Now that I have used it for a while I decided I'd keep the stock but still unlock and root the phone to be able to restore data folders (WhatsApp!).

Now most of the rooting methods here are workarounds for locked boot loader models and involve finding the right firmware from Sony and a lot of hassle with the file patching. Even with unlocked models the rooting works by flashing the exploited kernel and using the exploit to gain root.

My question is why is it not possible to just boot (NOT FLASH) modified kernel with security off via fastboot and then upload SuperSU or Superuser files into device and then after installation continue using the kernel provided by the firmware? This is also called the general method.

I will go this route if there are no reasons not to.

PS. Thanks for this wonderful community. As a long time lurker I finally decided to join you!

Rycon33

Apr 28, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hot booting doesn't work anymore in new Xperias. It used to work when I had the xoeria arc. Now for your rooting wherein you want to retain the stock kernel, just use the advance stock kernel of Doomlord, it's pure stock kernel (only with recovery added). Then flash the SuperSU zip in the recovery.

Here's the link for Doom's kernel. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2646193

Tapatalked from my Xperia SP

Last edited:
Reactions: omicorn

omicorn

May 14, 2014
Okay, thanks for the info. Sucks that hot booting is not available but the method you posted seems fair enough.

I still have one question slightly related to this. In my previous phones the recovery has been installed separately (separate ramdisk and maybe even kernel?). Have I understood correctly that in Xperias the recovery is included in the boot.img instead of recovery.img and it depends on bootloader sent parameters whether the phone boots recovery or the normal mode? In other words if I install sometimes in the future a custom ROM and the recovery included is somehow broken I have to fix it via fastboot?

Rycon33

Apr 28, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F3
That's what weird thing about Sony, they don't have a separate recovery image partition.

Most Xperia custom ROMs include their own boot.img(with recovery in it) so that's covered.

Tapatalked from my Xperia P

Reactions: omicorn

noahvt

Jan 27, 2013
Antwerpen
Some Recovery's are built in into the system and that's nasty because if you wipe your system to install a custom ROM you're recovery will let you down and hang

Sent from my C5303 using XDA Free mobile app

mrjraider

Jul 1, 2012
We need to find some way to temp install a recovery into /data.. This will prevent issues when installing ROM's and wont even need root since it is "data" dunno if its possible and how to pull of. :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hot booting doesn't work anymore in new Xperias. It used to work when I had the xoeria arc. Now for your rooting wherein you want to retain the stock kernel, just use the advance stock kernel of Doomlord, it's pure stock kernel (only with recovery added). Then flash the SuperSU zip in the recovery.

Here's the link for Doom's kernel. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2646193

Tapatalked from my Xperia SP
    That's what weird thing about Sony, they don't have a separate recovery image partition.

Most Xperia custom ROMs include their own boot.img(with recovery in it) so that's covered.

Tapatalked from my Xperia P