[MOD]Data Speed Tweak [ICS/GB][Wifi/3g/4g]>Flashable ZIP<

Search This thread

Rxpert

Sep 12, 2011
I get installation aborted on the new zip running aosp gb on the evo

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

daPorkchop

May 13, 2010
I must be missing something. Nothing i'm doing in the folder in init.d sticks after reboot on ICS. I didn't think this was just me either as for the supercharger mod you have to have a modded version of your services.jar for it to stick (in which it didn't work for me).

I tried this Mod you have posted on CM9 by Mazda. I apply it and see in System Tuner that it took. Then I reboot, and it goes back to default. I've also tried to change my own setting in init.d on MIUI ICS and it doesn't stick either. The only way i can get things to apply on boot is if I have the app apply it on boot.

cybervyrus8587

Apr 23, 2010
Won't flash for me either.. downloaded 3 times and toggled sig verification.

Cm9 1.5

Rxpert

Sep 12, 2011
I applied them manually...

ROM: Decks Reloaded

First (top) 3 are after applying the fix
Last (bottom) 4 are my control "before"

snap20120530_003444.jpg

I'll be taking it off, but thanks for sharing with us. I'm glad it has worked for some.

Last edited:

fiddy619

Nov 2, 2010
San Diego
Won't flash for me either.. downloaded 3 times and toggled sig verification.

Cm9 1.5

I uploaded these from my phone last night, so I may have messed something up for now just either do it manually, or copy the filly from the .zip to /system/etc, I'll try to fix them today, but I don't know if I'll be able to on my work computer, but if not I'll do it when I get home...

Sent using my Cyanogized Monster EVO via Tapatalk 2

**EDIT** All zips should be working now. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: cybervyrus8587

fiddy619

Nov 2, 2010
San Diego
I must be missing something. Nothing i'm doing in the folder in init.d sticks after reboot on ICS. I didn't think this was just me either as for the supercharger mod you have to have a modded version of your services.jar for it to stick (in which it didn't work for me).

I tried this Mod you have posted on CM9 by Mazda. I apply it and see in System Tuner that it took. Then I reboot, and it goes back to default. I've also tried to change my own setting in init.d on MIUI ICS and it doesn't stick either. The only way i can get things to apply on boot is if I have the app apply it on boot.

I'm researching the issue now, I will figure out a way to make it work for you...

mkc90

Jun 21, 2009
Dallas
Okay after flashing the zip to speed up my speed wow... I did some speedtest and it really increased my 3g speeds like crazy ...

uploadfromtaptalk1338381845251.jpg

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Rxpert

Sep 12, 2011
Okay after flashing the zip to speed up my speed wow... I did some speedtest and it really increased my 3g speeds like crazy ...

View attachment 1094853

After applying, not liking the results and removing the tweaks my tests are still in the toilet.

Your screeny won't even load. I guess I'll try the flashable zip. If not I'm gonna reflash the rom

mkc90

Jun 21, 2009
Dallas
After applying, not liking the results and removing the tweaks my tests are still in the toilet.

Your screeny won't even load. I guess I'll try the flashable zip. If not I'm gonna reflash the rom

Hmm it loads on my phone and well I did 3 test for 3g before flashing the .zip and I was getting 850kbps,1100kbps and 753kbp ..after flashing the zip ... it went all the way to 2000kbp ,1859kbp and 2050kbps .. I was really amaze ..:)

Thanks

fiddy619

Nov 2, 2010
San Diego

I think you have to be on a computer browser to see it, you could try changing your browsers agent... About the fix, i've been seeing mixed results, so if you happen to be one that gets the benefits, well lucky you... If not, there is a undo .zip as well. You don't have to reflash your rom if you can't get it to work tho, just flash the undo .zip...

Same here. I'm on shooter sense 3. Amon ra 3.11 recovery. Toggled signature. Nothing.

sent from my shooter 4g

Hypothetically this should work across the board as all android is based on linux, but I have not tested on Sense, and I'm not exactly sure if the .zips are designed to flash to the right location on a sense rom.

Hmm it loads on my phone and well I did 3 test for 3g before flashing the .zip and I was getting 850kbps,1100kbps and 753kbp ..after flashing the zip ... it went all the way to 2000kbp ,1859kbp and 2050kbps .. I was really amaze ..:)

Thanks

I also noticed a considerable jump in speed with all data modules (3g/4g/wifi). Did you flash the .zip from today, or yesterday? I'm just wondering because if yesterday, then it is the one with the

Code:
vm.overcommit_memory = 1
vm.panic_on_oom = 0
vm.oom_kill_allocating_task = 0
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 90
vm.dirty_background_bytes = 0

as well as the net speed tweak, this added tweak is a very slight memory adjustment, and honestly should be fairly unnoticeable.

kz6fittycent

Sep 1, 2011
Murfreesboro, TN
I think you have to be on a computer browser to see it, you could try changing your browsers agent... About the fix, i've been seeing mixed results, so if you happen to be one that gets the benefits, well lucky you... If not, there is a undo .zip as well. You don't have to reflash your rom if you can't get it to work tho, just flash the undo .zip...

Hypothetically this should work across the board as all android is based on linux, but I have not tested on Sense, and I'm not exactly sure if the .zips are designed to flash to the right location on a sense rom.

I also noticed a considerable jump in speed with all data modules (3g/4g/wifi). Did you flash the .zip from today, or yesterday? I'm just wondering because if yesterday, then it is the one with the

Code:
vm.overcommit_memory = 1
vm.panic_on_oom = 0
vm.oom_kill_allocating_task = 0
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 90
vm.dirty_background_bytes = 0

as well as the net speed tweak, this added tweak is a very slight memory adjustment, and honestly should be fairly unnoticeable.

I'll try a manual tweak, as per your directions. Will post results.

sent from my shooter 4g

fiddy619

Nov 2, 2010
San Diego
How do I know if the zip worked caused systcly. Conf looks the same..

sent from my reloaded evo

What do you mean it looks the same? By default this file will be 0kb and be completely blank of data, so if it's not 0kb, then changes have been made, if you have one that you have already modified, I would suggest manually entering the changes...

Last edited:
Reactions: jrollercoasters

Rxpert

Sep 12, 2011

I know it doesn't make sense, but even after removing it and wiping caches/rebooting the speeds were still in the dump. Even after a nand restore. I'm hoping completely wiping everything and starting fresh will help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a known Linux speed tweak, and i found it on the epic 4g thread (my son has one, and I loaded CM9 on his phone) that was started by marcusant. So, i'm really just sharing the info with the Evo community, but I truly think it is quite valuable info, and will likely work on any Android based device since as stated earlier it is a Linux tweak. This has only been tested on ICS, and GB, but I'm pretty sure results will be the same with Sense...

This is what i did, and for those of you that want to add it yourself, just add this code...

Code:
    net.ipv4.tcp_ecn=0
    net.ipv4.route.flush = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_rfc1337 = 1
    net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc = 0
    net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_fack = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 39000 187000
    net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 39000 187000
    net.ipv4.tcp_mem = 187000 187000 187000
    net.ipv4.tcp_no_metrics_save = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_moderate_rcvbuf = 1
    to a file sysctl.conf (you can use root explorer to make a new file, or whatever file manager tool you like) then using root explorer copy the file and navigate to /system/etc/ mount as r/w and rename the original sysctl.conf file to sysctl.conf.bak, then paste the one you originally copied (you can add the lines of code to the original file if you are using a edited one already). Then change ownership to root/root, and permissions to rw/r/r, then mount back to r/o, and exit root explorer, and reboot. If it works you should notice your browser opening pages faster, the market much faster, and of course speed test will be faster.

I was pm'd this as a way to get this properly working on ICS. Thanks ratkiley

ratkiley said:
    You can ignore my previous email because I found the solution. I am sharing it with you so you could update your original forum post with the missing information.

At first, I was not able to install the data speed tweak zip files through my ClockWorkMod recovery ROM on my Ice Cream Sandwich / Android 4.0 phone. After various experimentation, I figured out the solution.

To install the zip from the SD card,

1. Copy the zip file into the root of your SD card
    2. Boot into Clockwork mod recovery rom on your phone.
    3. Mount the /system/ folder. (So you don't flash the files into the Recovery ROM's /system/ folder instead of your android ROM's system folder. Otherwise, you won't see the /system/etc/sysctl.conf file appear in the file system after installing the zip file.)
    4. Choose "install zip from sd card" -> "choose zip from sd card", then find the zip file.

* The /system/etc folder does not exist on the clockwork mod ROM's file system, but it does on other android ROMs. ADB shell exposes the clockwork mod /system/ folder to you unless you first mount the /system folder. So apparently, "Mount /system" means mount your phone's Android ROM's /system folder in the running Clockwork Mod unix file system.

This is highly unlikely, but if this somehow breaks your device I am in no way responsible... Just had to put that out there...

For ICS users you might need to use THIS method, or you can update your services.jar file HERE (compliments of Papa Smurf151 Thread).

Flashable Zips are below...
    So just flash, how would we undo? Just make a backup of the original file?

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using xda premium.

I'll make a undo .zip, just give me a minute...
    For those on ICS I have noticed the zip doesn't always stick. I just manually created a second file and pushed it to system/etc then set permissions then rebooted. That's when I finally noticed the vast improvement in speed. Only after a reboot did I get the increased speed.
    I was one of the doubters early on because every time I tried it, it wouldn't work and my speeds never improved. After adding the text manually though its all working perfect. Also don't forget the reboot.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Question: Why are the values in the flashable file different from what's posted in the OP?
    It was working :/ but now everytime I reboot it remounts to r/w and my speed is super slow

sent from my reloaded evo

Go into root explorer, and mount system as r/o, then go to a terminal app, and type

$su
    #fix_permissions

The "$" and "#" are the prompts, so don't type those. Once it gets done either type reboot, or reboot however you wish...