[GAPPS][2015-04-12] Google Apps Minimal Edition for Android 4.4.x

Search This thread

robbsterr

Jun 12, 2012
Thank you! Ingnious work. X Versions are awesome. This is the thread where I will settle down. To bad Banks does not link this page. PA nano is no alternative to good old minimal package!

Thank you! Ingnious work. X Versions are awesome. This is the thread where I will settle down. To bad Banks does not link this page. PA nano is no alternative to good old minimal package!
I agree, the Minimal X and X+ make minimal even more minimal, its awesome. Nano does not compare to what us Banks Minimal guys were looking for. This however, is an improvement from the Banks Minimal rather than a step backwards.

-wardawgmalvicious

vlucchetti

Dec 3, 2009
Latrobe, PA
Wonderful. So minimal is equivalent to Banks' Minimal, and the X and X+ remove more bloat that I usually take out myself, correct?

Last edited:

hsrn

Jul 17, 2010
Hannover
minimal x edition could also remove aosp sms/mms app because i like installing hangouts via play store and have no use for the aosp messaging app

minimal x edition could also remove aosp sms/mms app because i like installing hangouts via play store and have no use for the aosp messaging app
I think its left in there just in case someone does not have a SMS app to go to over a clean flash. I was thinking the same thing with the launcher, but over a clean flash there would be no launcher. I know a bit different but same concept.

-wardawgmalvicious

hsrn

Jul 17, 2010
Hannover
I think its left in there just in case someone does not have a SMS app to go to over a clean flash. I was thinking the same thing with the launcher, but over a clean flash there would be no launcher. I know a bit different but same concept.

-wardawgmalvicious

if you bring forward the argument that there wouldn't be a sms app then i could say that there is no camera app after installing minimal x.
it doesn't effect the rom's functionality because you can immediately install an alternative app from play store after initial boot.
it's a bit different if there is no launcher.
i havn't tried booting a rom without a launcher but it should be unfunctional.

comesefosseantani

Mar 3, 2014
hi, thank you for the work!

Can I switch to these packages from an old banks standard package keeping the apps and their settings?
Do I have to clear system, reflash the rom and then gapps?

thanks!

jajb

Mar 13, 2014
Good work making a minimal pack, and adding a list of bloat to remove with the X and X+ is brilliant.

So I dirty flashed my ROM and flashed the Minimal X+ GApps just to try it out, and I must say it works beautifully! Gets rid of just about everything I don't use! I love it. Once again many thanks!

-wardawgmalvicious

I agree, the Minimal X and X+ make minimal even more minimal, its awesome. Nano does not compare to what us Banks Minimal guys were looking for. This however, is an improvement from the Banks Minimal rather than a step backwards.

-wardawgmalvicious

Winner, thanks, working well on my S5 :)

@jajb

Nice and Good work mate!

Thank you all for the support and kind words! It's much appreciated! If you haven't already, be sure to blow up @BaNkS GApps thread as he is responsible for most of the dirty work.

Feel free to suggest any other common bloatware you would like to see in the X or X+ editions from various popular third party ROM's such as Carbon, PAC, PA, etc. (CyanogenMod, Slim, and Mahdi are well covered).

Wonderful. So minimal is equivalent to Banks' Minimal, and the X and X+ remove more bloat that I usually take out myself, correct?

Yes, that is correct.

-wardawgmalvicious

if you bring forward the argument that there wouldn't be a sms app then i could say that there is no camera app after installing minimal x.
it doesn't effect the rom's functionality because you can immediately install an alternative app from play store after initial boot.

X edition is all about removing bloatware that a very small portion of users actually use. X+ takes it a step further by removing apps that a good amount of people still might use but are easily replaceable by third party applications. With that being said, i'll consider adding sms/mms to the list of system deletions in the X+ edition (possibly the AOSP voice dialer too). Would like to hear some more feedback from different users of the community.

I believe Min X is close to perfect, even though I want the ASOP Cam. Then it would be. Its not hard for me to copy back in.

I'll have the AOSP cam switched to X+ in the next update and remove it from X.

hi, thank you for the work!

Can I switch to these packages from an old banks standard package keeping the apps and their settings?
Do I have to clear system, reflash the rom and then gapps?

thanks!

Yes you can. While I always recommend a clean install, I've modified the scripts so that previous banks installs will be wiped clean and all you need to do is wipe dalvik and cache.

As far as the SMS argument I see what you are saying there. Initially I was wondering why the AOSP camera was taken out, but I ended up eventually finding another AOSP camera with a couple extras that I don't even know what they are. Either way I appreciate what these GApps have done and continued onwards from Banks making my life much easier.

Many thanks to @jajb!

Again lol.

-wardawgmalvicious

Reactions: hsrn

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
東京都 Tokyo Metro

It does affect and it is essential in terms of being able to access carrier network sometimes. Activation requires SMS codes in many cases, I am using a prepaid LTE data card right now in one device that is activated by SMS.

Would like to hear some more feedback from different users of the community.

No SMS, no way to activate network service... I have used at least 4 carriers in three countries with this way of switching on data. I have no other use for SMS, trust me, I learned the hard way it's bloat I can't get rid of.

Last edited:
Reactions: wardawgmalvicious

daniu

Feb 27, 2009
Hi
I am using the standard mms/sms program - please do not remove it in minimal x!

I cannot really understand how soomeone wants small gapps (few apps by google) but at the same time uses hangouts hut probably you are American? Where I live nobody uses hangouts - while I heard that it is quite common in the US.

regards

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    czQwl59.png

Google Apps Minimal Edition for Android 5.0.x & 5.1 are now available! Check here for details and download links.

FAQ

What is Google Apps Minimal Edition and what makes it different from other GApps packages?
    Google Apps Minimal Edition for Android 4.4.x is a modified, slimmed down version of the Google Apps package. The goal is to provide the smallest GApps pack possible while de-bloating your custom ROM (bloatware removal script is listed in Add-On section). The GApps Minimal Edition only includes the absolute essentials to make everything run properly. This includes the Google Play Store, Google Play Services, Google Contact & Calendar Sync, along with the necessary libs, frameworks, and priv-apps.

What's included in GApps Minimal Edition?
    GoogleBackupTransport.apk (Handles backup of settings)
    GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk (Google Calendar Sync)
    GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk (Google Contacts Sync)
    GoogleFeedback.apk (ForceClose reporting)
    GoogleLoginService.apk (Google login system)
    GoogleOneTimeInitializer.apk (?)
    GooglePartnerSetup.apk (In App purchases)
    GoogleServicesFramework.apk (Provides account / login information to Google Apps)
    Phonesky.apk (Google Play Store)
    PrebuiltGmsCore.apk (Google Play Services)
    SetupWizard.apk (Setup Wizard when you first use your phone)

lipAppDataSearch.so (part of PrebuiltGmsCore.apk)
    libconscrypt_gmscore_jni.so (part of PrebuiltGmsCore.apk)
    libgames_rtmp_jni.so (part of PrebuiltGmsCore.apk)
    libgcastv2_base.so (part of PrebuiltGmsCore.apk)
    libgcastv2_support.so (part of PrebuiltGmsCore.apk)
    libjgcastservice.so (part of PrebuiltGmsCore.apk)
    libgmscore.so (part of PrebuiltGmsCore.apk)
    libNearbyApp.so (part of PrebuiltGmsCore.apk)
    libogms-ocrclient.so (part of PrebuiltGmsCore.apk)
    libsslwrapper_jni.so (part of PrebuiltGmsCore.apk)
    libWhisper.so (part of PrebuiltGmsCore.apk)

What does the bloatware removal script remove from my system?
    The bloatware removal script will remove the following:

Apollo.apk (CyanogenMod's Apollo Music Player) - use Google Play Music instead
    BasicDreams.apk (Customizable screensaver)
    Browser.apk (AOSP Browser) - use Google Chrome instead
    Calendar.apk (AOSP Calendar) - use Google Calendar instead
    Camera2.apk (AOSP Camera ) use Google Camera or CyanogenMod's Camera Next instead
    CellBroadcastReciever.apk (Cell Broadcast Reciever)
    CMFileManager.apk (CyanogenMod File Manager) - use ES File Explorer instead
    CMHome.apk (Google Now Search Panel for Trebuchet) - use a better launcher
    CMWallpapers.apk (Wallpaper bloat)
    Dashclock.apk (Dashclock widget for lockscreen)
    DSPManager.apk (Sound Processor & Graphic Equalizer)
    Email.apk (Email Sync for IMAP, POP3, Exchange accounts)
    Exchange2.apk (Part of Email.apk)
    Galaxy4.apk (Wallpaper bloat)
    HoloSpiralWallpaper.apk (Wallpaper bloat)
    LiveWallpapers.apk (Wallpaper bloat)
    MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk (Wallpaper bloat)
    Music.apk (AOSP Music Player) - use Google Play Music instead
    NoiseField.apk (Wallpaper bloat)
    PhaseBeam.apk (Wallpaper bloat)
    PhotoPhase.apk (Screensaver Bloat)
    Phototable.apk (Screensaver bloat)
    PicoTts.apk (AOSP Text-To-Speech) - use Google TTS instead
    VideoEditor.apk (MovieStudio)
    VisualizationWallpapers.apk (Wallpaper bloat)
    VoicePlus.apk (Google Voice and Hangouts integration)
    WhisperPush.apk (Secure Messaging Integration - Read more about it here

Installation:
    Step 1. Copy .zip to sdcard or internal storage
    Step 2. Boot into recovery
    Step 3. Flash .zip
    Step 4. Wipe dalvik & cache
    Step 5. Reboot system and bask in all your glory!

Download Minimal Edition:

Download Add-Ons:

Changelog:
    2015-04-12
    • Updated to Google Play Store v5.4.11
    • Removed AOSP Calendar Sync from GApps package
    • Added flashable AOSP Calendar Sync .zip for Android 4.4.x (view OP, Add-On section)
    • Added flashable AOSP Browser Sync .zip for Android 4.4.x (view OP, Add-On section)
    • Added flashable Google App .zip for Android 4.4.x (view OP, Add-On section)
    • Modified and cleaned up .sh script and updater-script on GApps and Add-On packages

2015-04-04
    • Updated to Google Play Store v5.4.10
    • Modified GApps updater-script from removing AOSP Keyboard lib "/system/lib/libjni_latinime.so"

2015-03-29
    • Merged separate DPI specific .zips into one package for easy end-user flashing (GApps package will automatically detect and install the correct Google Play Services for your device. Credits to Deltadroid for the "install-optional.sh" script source.)
    • Updated to Google Play Services v7.0.99
    • Updated to Google Play Store v5.3.6
    • Added flashable Facelock .zip for Android 4.4.x (view OP, Add-On section)
    • Modified updater-script
    • Modified 70-gapps.sh
    • Removed "libjni_latinime.so" from GApps packages (Use Google Keyboard instead)
    • Dropped support for x86-based devices
    • Updated FAQ

2015-03-08
    • Updated to Google Play Services v7.0.87
    • Updated to Google Play Store v5.3.5
    • Modified 70-gapps.sh
    • Updated FAQ
    • Added libNearbyApp.so (part of Google Play Services update)

2015-02-22
    • Updated to Google Play Services v6.7.76
    • Updated to Google Play Store v5.2.13
    • Added Bloatware Removal Script as separate flashable .zip (view OP, Add-On section)
    • Removed Minimal X & X+ Edition (in favor of Bloatware Removal Script)
    • Updated FAQ

2014-12-14
    • Updated to Google Play Services v6.5.99
    • Updated to Google Play Store v5.1.11
    • Added libsslwrapper_jni.so to all packages (part of GPS v6.5.xx update)
    • Added AOSP Calendar (Calendar.apk) to Minimal X+ Edition removal list (use Google Calendar instead)
    • Excluded LiveWallpaperPicker.apk from X & X+ Edition removal list
    • Modified 70-gapps.sh
    • Updated FAQ

2014-11-04
    • Updated to Google Play Services v6.1.88
    • Updated to Google Play Store v5.0.37
    • Added AOSP Browser (Browser.apk) to Minimal X+ Edition removal list (use Google Chrome instead)
    • Updated FAQ

2014-10-30
    • Updated to Google Play Services v6.1.83
    • Updated to Google Play Store v5.0.32
    • Added Mediauploader.apk to system removal list (Picasa Uploader removed by Google in favor of Google+)
    • Updated FAQ

2014-10-15
    • Updated to Google Play Services v6.1.74

2014-10-12
    • Updated to Google Play Services v6.1.71
    • Updated to Google Play Store v5.0.31

2014-10-05
    • Updated to Google Play Services v6.1.11
    • Updated file names for easier readability

2014-09-24
    • Updated Google Play Services to v6.1.09
    • Users now have the option to download the correct version of Google Play Services for their device
    • Updated FAQ

2014-09-18
    • Updated Google Play Services to v6.1.05
    • Updated Google Calendar Sync to v4.4.4-1230475
    • Updated libs (*credits to TKruzze)

2014-09-12
    • Updated 70-gapps.sh for X & X+ Edition (fixes issue with previously deleted apps re-appearing after updating ROM to a newer build)

2014-09-10
    • Removed HTMLViewer.apk from X & X+ Edition de-bloat list (conflict with updating to a newer CM build)
    • Removed CMAccount.apk from X & X+ Edition de-bloat list (conflict with CM setup wizard)
    • Removed Camera2.apk (AOSP Camera ) & CMFileManager.apk (CyanogenMod File Manager) from X edition de-bloat list

2014-09-04
    • Using BaNkS GApps for future GApps builds
    • GApps Minimal Edition will no longer include ROM de-bloat list
    • Added GApps Minimal X Edition - includes ROM de-bloat list (read OP for details)
    • Added GApps Minimal X+ Edition - includes extra apps added to de-bloat list (read OP for details)
    • Removed previously unmaintained GApps packages (all minimal editions will work with any 4.4 version)

2014-09-02
    • Updated Google Play Services to v5.0.89
    • Updated Google Play Store to v4.9.13

2014-07-09
    • Added "PhotoPhase.apk" (Screensaver Bloat) to system app removal list
    • Removed Email.apk (POP/IMAP email client) and Exchange2.apk (Provides sync for Email.apk) from list of removed system apps

2014-07-02
    • Updated Google Play Services to v5.0.84
    • Modified 70-gapps.sh
    • Updated GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
    • Updated GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
    • Updated permissions and preferred-apps .xml files
    • Updated framework .jar files
    • Updated all lib files
    • Added "libconscrypt_gmscore_jni.so" to lib folder (Part of GmsCore.apk)
    • Added "libgmscore.so" to lib folder (Part of GmsCore.apk)
    • Removed "ConfigUpdater.apk"
    • Removed "install-optional.sh"
    • Added slimmed-down version of the 20140105 GApps package for Android 4.4.2 users
    • Added Phototable.apk (Screensaver bloat) to system app removal list
    • Added HTMLViewer.apk (HTML Viewer) to system app removal list - use ES File Explorer
    • Added PicoTtS.apk (AOSP Text-To-Speech) to system app removal list- use Google TTS
    • Added CMHome.apk (Google Now Search Panel for Trebuchet) to system app removal list - use a better launcher instead
    • Added Camera2.apk (AOSP Camera) to system app removal list - use Google Camera or CyanogenMod's Camera Next instead

2014-06-25
    • Updated Google Play Services to v5.0.77

2014-06-16
    • Updated Phonesky.apk (Google Play Store) to v4.8.20
    • Modified 7-gapps.sh
    • Added PicoTTS to system app removal list (Use Google TTS instead)
    • Added brief explanations to apk's and libs in OP
    • Added "libocrclient.so" (Part of GmsCore.apk)

2014-06-11
    • Initial Release

Credits:
    Google for the apps
    CyanogenMod for the original GApps package
    TKruzze for the updated sources
    BaNkS for the original GApps packages and all the dirty work (feel free to blow up his original thread with a ton of thanks) + all the other rad XDA members who helped BaNks out along the way
    Fred6681 for helping me identify certain libs & apk's
    UPDATES 2014-10-30
    • Updated to Google Play Services v6.1.83
    • Updated to Google Play Store v5.0.32
    • Added Mediauploader.apk to system removal list (Picasa Uploader removed by Google in favor of Google+)
    • Updated FAQ
    UmK5u10.png

Google Apps Minimal Edition for Android 5.0 has arrived! Visit the thread here.

Note: 4.4.x packages will be maintained for the next nine months.

Special thanks goes out to @androcraze for testing and providing feedback. Without him/her, Android 5.0 packages would of taken much longer.
    Apologies for the lack of updates everyone. As I am sure most of you are already aware, exams are taking up most of my time. I will be pushing out major updates for both 4.4.x and 5.0.x GApps packages Friday, December 12. Thanks everyone for your patience!
    UPDATES 2014-11-04
    • Updated to Google Play Services v6.1.88
    • Updated to Google Play Store v5.0.37
    • Added AOSP Browser (Browser.apk) to Minimal X+ Edition removal list (use Google Chrome instead)
    • Updated FAQ