I goofed up: Tapped wrong option to update Magisk and now I don't have a recovery

Search This thread

Deses

Jan 15, 2012
Barcelona
Please bear with me. :(

I was about to upgrade from Magisk 19.4 to 20 and I tapped on "Install to inactive slot (after OTA)" instead of the recommended option "Direct install), then clicked yes without reading because I though I tapped the correct option... and after that, without rebooting, I tapped the Direct install option and rebooted. (Yup, I effed up that whole part.)
Then, when booting up the phone got stuck in fastboot.
I followed @Arden144's steps to install twrp and I was able to boot into twrp and flash magisk.
If I go to power options and tap on reboot to OS, it boots fine and I have Magisk 20. My modules are still there and everything seems fine. Wi-Fi, fingerprint sensor and SafetyNet are fine.

BUT! Now, for my actual problem:

Whenever I use advanced reboot to go to the recovery, go to recovery through Magisk Manager, press Volume Down + Power to boot into recovery or even select "Recovery" in TWRP's power menu, the phone just goes to fasboot and I can't enter the recovery unless I "fastboot flash" a recovery.
Thankfully if I select "Start", the phone starts fine. Previously it just looped back to the fastboot but seems that reflashing twrp at least fixed that.
But yeah, I can't enter TWRP without a computer to fastboot, which sucks.

What can I do? Flashing twrp doesn't seem to stick.
Thank you for any advice you can give me! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: aoaleman

Arden144

Nov 1, 2017

I was about to upgrade from Magisk 19.4 to 20 and I tapped on "Install to inactive slot (after OTA)" instead of the recommended option "Direct install), then clicked yes without reading because I though I tapped the correct option... and after that, without rebooting, I tapped the Direct install option and rebooted. (Yup, I effed up that whole part.)
I followed @Arden144's steps to install twrp and I was able to boot into twrp and flash magisk.
If I go to power options and tap on reboot to OS, it boots fine and I have Magisk 20. My modules are still there and everything seems fine. Wi-Fi, fingerprint sensor and SafetyNet are fine.

Whenever I use advanced reboot to go to the recovery, go to recovery through Magisk Manager, press Volume Down + Power to boot into recovery or even select "Recovery" in TWRP's power menu, the phone just goes to fasboot and I can't enter the recovery unless I "fastboot flash" a recovery.
Thankfully if I select "Start", the phone starts fine. Previously it just looped back to the fastboot but seems that reflashing twrp at least fixed that.

There's a known issue with Magisk 20 that makes TWRP not stay installed. Downgrade to 19.4 or hold tight without TWRP

Deses

Jan 15, 2012
Barcelona
There's a known issue with Magisk 20 that makes TWRP not stay installed. Downgrade to 19.4 or hold tight without TWRP

Oooh. What an awful moment to have this problem, then.

Unfortunately, I reflashed Magisk, (Manager now shows 19.4) but TWRP doesn't stay installed... What worries me is that not even the stock recovery is available to use, just fastboot. :(

Arden144

Nov 1, 2017
Oooh. What an awful moment to have this problem, then.

Unfortunately, I reflashed Magisk, (Manager now shows 19.4) but TWRP doesn't stay installed... What worries me is that not even the stock recovery is available to use, just fastboot. :(
You can try using the Magisk Canary Uninstaller to completely clean up the Magisk install, or dirty flash the stock ROM

Deses

Jan 15, 2012
Barcelona
OK, so only way I restored access to my recovery was to flash the OTA update and the stock recovery was there... after that I reflashed TWRP and I can access it just fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

when that happened to me i grabbed magisk uninstaller and fadtboot booted twrp flash magisk uninstaller then twrp zip reflashed magisk 20. whatever new version of magisk is