[SKIN .APK] PCB Sense - NOW WITH 5 COLOURS (for ALL HDPI Sense 2.x ROMs!)

Search This thread

scar45

Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 17, 2006
3.jpg

Hi all!

I have recently been playing around with the Sense 2.1 + Gingerbread (aka GingerSense) ROMs, and had to of course port (and improve) my original PCB Sense Theme from days ago. I have been testing it myself for quite a few days, and I'm finally happy with how it turned out, so I wanted to offer it up to all GingerSense XDA users.

Couple of things to note:

• This design was meant to be close to stock for those who actually dig the Sense scheme, but want something unique
  • The file is a 7.7mb signed .APK created using apk-manager 4.9 for Sense 2.1...I may make a Sense 3.0 port if there is enough demand (need to play with .m10 editing still)
  • It is installable on HDPI devices only by simply copying to your device and running, and is uninstallable by Titanium Backup, or applying another Skin in Sense, and highlighting PCB Sense, then MENU --> DELETE...it doesn't appear in "Settings --> Applications", but why would you want to uninstall it anyways? ;)
  • I have edited a poopload of images with utmost care and attention to detail including those precious draw9patch ones
  • The tricky thing with the draw9patch is to have a pattern get 'stretched/repeated' without looking crappy...I believe this may be one of the few Sense themes out there which attempts to skin >90% of resource images (I may be wrong, but still)
  • I tested (and approved of) this theme on my Desire (Bravo) running LeeDrOiD v3.3.1 and InsertCoin GB
  • The font used in all screenshots is "Ubuntu", however "Storopia" also compliments the skin nicely
  • The font used to make the custom clock widget is "OPTICBOT"
  • This theme took me about 55-60 hours to complete
  • I've seen some other mods/ports of my theme before, and while I am a believer in sharing and caring, it would be nice if you asked/PM'ed me before using my theme for any other purpose than your own enjoyment. I'm a nice dood, I promise, and it's good to give credit where it's due! ;)
  • If you'd like to buy me a beer, coffee, or any other kind offering to say thanks, it's greatly appreciated and I will thank you personally... (Donate link is in my post profile)

Anyways, have a look at the preview images below, and please leave your thoughts! I hope you enjoy it!!! (Oh, and keep an eye on this thread for updates)

Screenshots of Green version (via Dropbox album):

Download:

Select your desired colour to download:
Note: If you're downloading on a handheld browser and the file is saved with a '.bin' extension, simply rename it to '.apk'

if you like it...that's up to you!

Credits and thanks to some of the resources used go out to:
  • The modded wallpaper is originally from iTeppo (on deviantART) titled "Android Chip Wallpaper" (he did a great job!)

Last edited:

scar45

Aug 17, 2006
Hi, it looks great. However when you go on the phone it shows stock images etc

Heya retrosling, if you mean when you are in the "Phone" app, then yes, some images may not be fully skinned, but this is a limitation of the HTC Sense Skin .apk format itself. Note that there are no flashable .zips needed to use this theme, and that should allow it to be installed on multiple devices (with Sense 2.1 of course).

To skin many other components means that I would have to build a flashable .zip which modifies 'framework-res.apk', 'com.htc.resources.apk' and 'SystemUI.apk', and since these are based on certain ROMs, and can therefore be unique, I chose not to go that route for this theme (the logistics/maintenance of handling all bases/versions/ROM-specific customizations for these 3 .apks would be a nightmare of time consumption!)

Believe me, that I skinned nearly every single PNG that would allow it. The only ones missing (for now) would be for landscape support. Once we start getting more GingerSense ROMs with landscape homescreens, I will be adding them though. Good thing for updating is that you'd just have to re-download the .apk (same exact link/filename), and the .XML file defines that it's a newer version, then your phone should ask you if you want to update it. Super clean this .apk Skin route.

To everyone else who offered your great comments/feedback, thank you very much!! It's great to see others enjoying the benefits of the hard work it took to put together this theme! :D

All the best.

ericb

Apr 13, 2006
London
Just tried this on Robocik's v1.2 a2sd cm7 hboot and it does not seem to work.

Have I missed something?

artymarty

May 14, 2010
Melbourne
www.marty.com.au
Amazing.

I will say that I have allways found the backdrops you pick very distracting and make the icons hard to see, but then I am addicted to the glactic core live wallpaper - you should try it with the pcb sense - it really ties the screen theme together!

One thing I miss from the old PCB theme is the green circuit board buttons, but then I am sure I will get used to this... (see attached for what I mean)

perhaps an option in the future?

Again, Thanks!!!

Warmly, Marty

Last edited:
Reactions: scar45

scar45

Aug 17, 2006
Just tried this on Robocik's v1.2 a2sd cm7 hboot and it does not seem to work.

Have I missed something?

Hey ericb, thanks for trying this out on RCMix v1.2...I am not sure why it didn't work for you, as it should be in MENU --> PERSONALIZE --> SKIN. There is nothing specific relating to InsertCoin, so maybe it didn't install properly? Did you get any errors when you clicked on the .apk from a file browser to install it?

Only other thing I can think of would be to "Allow Unknown Sources" in SETTINGS --> APPLICATIONS, which might allow it to install since it isn't a pro-signed .apk.

Let me know though, as yours is the first report that it didn't work :(

Amazing.

I will say that I have allways found the backdrops you pick very distracting and make the icons hard to see, but then I am addicted to the glactic core live wallpaper - you should try it with the pcb sense - it really ties the screen theme together!

One thing I miss from the old PCB theme is the green circuit board buttons, but then I am sure I will get used to this... (see attached for what I mean)

Again, Thanks!!!

Warmly, Marty

Thanks Marty, this one was for you ;) Anyways, I understand about the wallpaper/backdrop, but one NEEDS to be included in the .apk, and I figured people would pick their favourites anyways. I will also check out that galactic core LW that you love so dearly ;)

I hear ya about the green PCB traces in my old theme version, and I went with grey this time because I wanted to make other colour versions overall. This would give the theme more consistency across all colour mods, since when you press those buttons, they light up green (and in the future, /blue/etc.).

Nothing's impossible though, so if I get a chance, I may make a classic version like that. Otherwise, if you REALLY want it, you can PM me and I can .zip up the files from the old theme so that you can drop them in this .apk and reinstall it...

Reactions: ericb

ericb

Apr 13, 2006
London
@scar45

Just checked again and it had loaded ok.
Must have been impatient first time.
Looks really cool with great detailing.
Just need to work out how to change the top and bottom bits of the screen to match your skin.
Currently it is black and doesn't quite enhance yours.
I will feedback any problems.

Thanks for your reply

scar45

Aug 17, 2006
Just checked again and it had loaded ok.

Just need to work out how to change the top and bottom bits of the screen to match your skin.
Currently it is black and doesn't quite enhance yours.

Great to hear it works for you ericb, thanks for following up to report that.

In terms of your top and bottom bits, if you are able to upload a screenshot that might help, but otherwise I'm not too sure which part you're talking about.

artymarty

May 14, 2010
Melbourne
www.marty.com.au
Thanks Marty, this one was for you ;) Anyways, I understand about the wallpaper/backdrop, but one NEEDS to be included in the .apk, and I figured people would pick their favourites anyways. I will also check out that galactic core LW that you love so dearly ;)

I hear ya about the green PCB traces in my old theme version, and I went with grey this time because I wanted to make other colour versions overall. This would give the theme more consistency across all colour mods, since when you press those buttons, they light up green (and in the future, /blue/etc.).

Nothing's impossible though, so if I get a chance, I may make a classic version like that. Otherwise, if you REALLY want it, you can PM me and I can .zip up the files from the old theme so that you can drop them in this .apk and reinstall it...

Hey Scar,

Well I slept on it (1.5 hours sleep last night, I am going to be a mess at uni today)
and I have to say I do prefer the one with the green buttons -
It breaks up all the grey a bit, and matches really well with the green traces on the clock.

So I would love a green version if you can make it.. - and I can imagine how cool a red and blue version will look too -

You should sell your theme to HTC and get it included as standard, make some $$$$ its very geeky and DIFFERENT from all the other themes that just look the same.
Warmly, Marty

ps: I will be making a donation in the next week or so, but don't let that influence you in any way.. (ie its not a bribe - you bloody deserve it!) HOWEVER please don't spend it on smokes mate - I have lost both parents to cancer a few years ago, and we just buried my partners mother who also died last week from lung cancer. - only telling you this cause I care ok!

Reactions: scar45

scar45

Aug 17, 2006
ps: I will be making a donation in the next week or so, but don't let that influence you in any way.. (ie its not a bribe - you bloody deserve it!) HOWEVER please don't spend it on smokes mate - I have lost both parents to cancer a few years ago, and we just buried my partners mother who also died last week from lung cancer. - only telling you this cause I care ok!

Wow Marty, that's a hard-hitting factual story there, and I first my send my condolences to you and your partner as well. Losing someone to cancer is absolutely horrible, as I have had similar experiences in my life (although thank God no one in my immediate family). I promise you I will never squander any contributions that people send my way, as I really use it to help me stay living in my home and eating food :) Times are tight, but the joy that one can get from these types of devices is very much worth it.

I will definitely whip up a 'traditional edition' for you and anyone else who wants to download it though, as soon as I get some time (blah blah, broken record on my shortness of 'time' I know ;))

ericb

Apr 13, 2006
London
Great to hear it works for you ericb, thanks for following up to report that.

In terms of your top and bottom bits, if you are able to upload a screenshot that might help, but otherwise I'm not too sure which part you're talking about.

Sorry to be unclear.

I am talking about the top notification bar and the bottom button bar.

Would be nice to be able to colour match to give a seamless green colour to the skin.

artymarty

May 14, 2010
Melbourne
www.marty.com.au
Wow Marty, that's a hard-hitting factual story there, and I first my send my condolences to you and your partner as well. Losing someone to cancer is absolutely horrible, as I have had similar experiences in my life (although thank God no one in my immediate family). I promise you I will never squander any contributions that people send my way, as I really use it to help me stay living in my home and eating food :) Times are tight, but the joy that one can get from these types of devices is very much worth it.

I will definitely whip up a 'traditional edition' for you and anyone else who wants to download it though, as soon as I get some time (blah blah, broken record on my shortness of 'time' I know ;))

Thank you, its appreciated mate. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

By the way, do you have the framework you use for all the notification icons battery mod etc?? Are you running the CM7 version?

Would love to use it - if I start mucking around in the UOT kitchen, I will never leave - too much choice.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    3.jpg

Hi all!

I have recently been playing around with the Sense 2.1 + Gingerbread (aka GingerSense) ROMs, and had to of course port (and improve) my original PCB Sense Theme from days ago. I have been testing it myself for quite a few days, and I'm finally happy with how it turned out, so I wanted to offer it up to all GingerSense XDA users.

Couple of things to note:

• This design was meant to be close to stock for those who actually dig the Sense scheme, but want something unique
    • The file is a 7.7mb signed .APK created using apk-manager 4.9 for Sense 2.1...I may make a Sense 3.0 port if there is enough demand (need to play with .m10 editing still)
    • It is installable on HDPI devices only by simply copying to your device and running, and is uninstallable by Titanium Backup, or applying another Skin in Sense, and highlighting PCB Sense, then MENU --> DELETE...it doesn't appear in "Settings --> Applications", but why would you want to uninstall it anyways? ;)
    • I have edited a poopload of images with utmost care and attention to detail including those precious draw9patch ones
    • The tricky thing with the draw9patch is to have a pattern get 'stretched/repeated' without looking crappy...I believe this may be one of the few Sense themes out there which attempts to skin >90% of resource images (I may be wrong, but still)
    • I tested (and approved of) this theme on my Desire (Bravo) running LeeDrOiD v3.3.1 and InsertCoin GB
    • The font used in all screenshots is "Ubuntu", however "Storopia" also compliments the skin nicely
    • The font used to make the custom clock widget is "OPTICBOT"
    • This theme took me about 55-60 hours to complete
    • I've seen some other mods/ports of my theme before, and while I am a believer in sharing and caring, it would be nice if you asked/PM'ed me before using my theme for any other purpose than your own enjoyment. I'm a nice dood, I promise, and it's good to give credit where it's due! ;)
    • If you'd like to buy me a beer, coffee, or any other kind offering to say thanks, it's greatly appreciated and I will thank you personally... (Donate link is in my post profile)

Anyways, have a look at the preview images below, and please leave your thoughts! I hope you enjoy it!!! (Oh, and keep an eye on this thread for updates)

Screenshots of Green version (via Dropbox album):

Download:

Select your desired colour to download:
    Note: If you're downloading on a handheld browser and the file is saved with a '.bin' extension, simply rename it to '.apk'

if you like it...that's up to you!

Credits and thanks to some of the resources used go out to:
    • The modded wallpaper is originally from iTeppo (on deviantART) titled "Android Chip Wallpaper" (he did a great job!)
    Unless u can help scar with porting to sense 3 then most likely, yes!

Hey fellas! My apologies for not posting any updates. Life has been crazy, and I'm still stuck with Sense 2.x on my old Desire (no money for upgrades, and Sense 3 on the Desire is not perfect - I need a stable daily driver these days).

One day I am sure I'll end up with a nice phone and Sense 3, but also, once ICS comes out, we'll have to see what HTC does with that and Sense.

Regardless, let's say my themeset here is just "on hiatus", and will hopefully return as soon as I get some new hardware and time. It did take me a long while to create this theme, and I've obviously not charged for it, so it's quite an undertaking to update it to Sense 3, as a LOT will need to be changed (Sense 3 is much different in its resource structure from Sense 2).

Anyways, I haven't forgotten about this, and I thank you guys for your kind words, and bringing it back up to attention. I'll surely post updates whenever there is news.

Cheers!
    There are now two versions of Sense 2.1 believe it or not. HTC = Idiots, I know ! Anyways, these will still work on Sense 2.0, Sense 2.1, and Sense 2.1.1 (as Im calling it). The only change needed to be made is the "version code" in the AndroidManifest file. For instance, Sense 2.0 is "8" and Sense 2.1 is "??????32" and Sense 2.1.1 is "??????33" So for it to work on Incredible S after the latest update, you need to change the version code in AndroidManifest. Hope this is helpful to the OP and others.
    Amazing.

Again, Thanks!!!

Warmly, Marty
    screenshots

the mdpi blue skin has standard white tabs on the clock though,couldn't get the themed tabs to flip correctly,top tab went blank when it flipped

here's a couple of screenshots