FORUMS

[TOOLS][ZIPS][SCRIPTS] osm0sis' Odds and Ends [Multiple Devices/Platforms]

13,899 posts
Thanks Meter: 30,853

By osm0sis, Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 18th April 2013, 01:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd January 2020, 06:18 PM |#2591  
Recognized Contributor
Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 5,507

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandan.R.D

Where to place file in adb/fastboot , Eg I want to fastboot boot TWRP.img , where should be the twrp.img placed , where is the adb installed?

Put fastboot and adb in any folder you want. Then in control panel, advanced system settings, environmental variables, edit the path to include the folder that fastboot/adb are in. Then it doesn't matter where the twrp.img is relative to fastboot/adb. Open a power shell in the folder twrp is in and do what you want with it. If you ran snoop's script adb will be in a folder adb.
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jd1639 Ad-Free
4th January 2020, 12:34 PM |#2592  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

Put fastboot and adb in any folder you want. Then in control panel, advanced system settings, environmental variables, edit the path to include the folder that fastboot/adb are in. Then it doesn't matter where the twrp.img is relative to fastboot/adb. Open a power shell in the folder twrp is in and do what you want with it. If you ran snoop's script adb will be in a folder adb.

I mean on Android , while using osmosis adb and fast boot module , to boot twrp on another phone via otg
4th January 2020, 02:22 PM |#2593  
OP Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandan.R.D

I mean on Android , while using osmosis adb and fast boot module , to boot twrp on another phone via otg

It's like Linux, you can put stuff wherever, you just need to use the path. So sdcard is fine, then provided fastboot works between your 2 devices, fastboot flash recovery /sdcard/twrpimgname.img
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th January 2020, 09:15 PM |#2594  
Thanks Meter: 216

More
"Install to inactive slot" without upgrading Magisk?
I am using Magisk v20.1 on my OnePlus 7 Pro running 10.3.0.

It turns out that v20.2 is causing me problems which I haven't figured out yet, and so I want to stay at v20.1 for the moment.

I need to reflash my ROM, and normally, I would do so via OTA followed by an installation of the "TWRP A/B Retention Script" via Magisk, which I subsequently would follow with INSTALL->INSTALL->Install to inactive slot(after OTA).

However, the "Install to inactive slot(after OTA)" procedure only appears under "UPDATE" now, due to the fact that v20.2 is available, and there is no "INSTALL". Therefore, invoking "Install to inactive slot(after OTA)" seems to only be possible if I also upgrade to Magisk-v20.2, which I don't want to do.

Is there any way for me to perform the "TWRP A/B Retention Script" and "Install to inactive slot(after OTA)" procedures while still keeping my Magisk version at v20.1?

Thank you very much.
4th January 2020, 11:19 PM |#2595  
Thanks Meter: 216

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoMan

I am using Magisk v20.1 on my OnePlus 7 Pro running 10.3.0.

It turns out that v20.2 is causing me problems which I haven't figured out yet, and so I want to stay at v20.1 for the moment.

I need to reflash my ROM, and normally, I would do so via OTA followed by an installation of the "TWRP A/B Retention Script" via Magisk, which I subsequently would follow with INSTALL->INSTALL->Install to inactive slot(after OTA).

However, the "Install to inactive slot(after OTA)" procedure only appears under "UPDATE" now, due to the fact that v20.2 is available, and there is no "INSTALL". Therefore, invoking "Install to inactive slot(after OTA)" seems to only be possible if I also upgrade to Magisk-v20.2, which I don't want to do.

Is there any way for me to perform the "TWRP A/B Retention Script" and "Install to inactive slot(after OTA)" procedures while still keeping my Magisk version at v20.1?

Thank you very much.

I found the solution ...
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...ostcount=37734
8th January 2020, 12:43 PM |#2596  
Flag Wuxi
Thanks Meter: 501

More
I feel so lucky to have grown my android life in the era of @osm0sis. When we are all old we will remember the Nexus 5, I still hold mine when I sleep, haha. Not really, but it has had a new battery put in and my son uses it sans sim card (still running Slim rom). Sorry for OT, but thanks for the scripts, also.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wangdaning For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wangdaning Ad-Free
18th January 2020, 03:25 AM |#2597  
Flag Amityville
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

I'll just leave this here...

All credit to @pkgnex for the time and effort spent on this thorough Lollipop(+) refresh of the old "Dev Team" init.d scripts. Thank his post below.

Edit: Rehosted - https://basketbuild.com/devs/osm0sis/scripts/

Edit 2: BasketBuild seems dead again, so attaching the old installer (with outdated scripts) below for posterity, and also pkgnex's updated versions in a simple (non-flashable) zip.

Thanks for sharing your works. I'm not a dev or advanced user, so I don't know what to do with a lot of your projects, but I'm interested in learning. It's just been challenging so far, finding info that meets me where I'm at, so it's been a slow process.

Anyways, I wanted to contribute something here and give back. I tried my hand at getting these updated scripts into a flashable zip form. Seems to be ok. Let me know if I messed up. I basically just edited the old zip installer. The zip size is as big as it is cause I read that flashable zips should be archived on "store" compression. But I don't think that's necessarily true, and TWRP will flash them if they're stored on "normal" compression too. But I figured it was better to error on the side of caution.
18th January 2020, 04:29 AM |#2598  
OP Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziontist

Thanks for sharing your works. I'm not a dev or advanced user, so I don't know what to do with a lot of your projects, but I'm interested in learning. It's just been challenging so far, finding info that meets me where I'm at, so it's been a slow process.

Anyways, I wanted to contribute something here and give back. I tried my hand at getting these updated scripts into a flashable zip form. Seems to be ok. Let me know if I messed up. I basically just edited the old zip installer. The zip size is as big as it is cause I read that flashable zips should be archived on "store" compression. But I don't think that's necessarily true, and TWRP will flash them if they're stored on "normal" compression too. But I figured it was better to error on the side of caution.

I appreciate you using the idea as a learning process, but there is no such thing as /system/etc/init.d anymore, so neither zip will work. Normal compression should work totally fine, by the way.

That said, I also don't want them up in a zip (that works, the old one is there for posterity), or I would have done it myself, so please take it down; those scripts haven't been updated since Lollipop or Oreo, so I wouldn't necessarily trust them all on a modern device.

Those who do want to tinker with them should be able to place them themselves in the appropriate directory for their ROM/root. That way they also know what to do if/when things go wrong.

Hopefully you understand, and don't find this discouraging. Scripting is super handy, and can be pretty fun, so keep it up! Your best bet might be to go to my Complete Shell Script update-binary replacement thread and start by learning to piece together your own installer with the functions I've provided.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th January 2020, 07:53 AM |#2599  
Thanks Meter: 1,892

More
=osm0sis;81516769]I appreciate you using the idea as a learning process, but there is no such thing as /system/etc/init.d anymore, so neither zip will work. Normal compression should work totally fine, by the way.

That said, I also don't want them up in a zip (that works, the old one is there for posterity), or I would have done it myself, so please take it down; those scripts haven't been updated since Lollipop or Oreo, so I wouldn't necessarily trust them all on a modern device.

Those who do want to tinker with them should be able to place them themselves in the appropriate directory for their ROM/root. That way they also know what to do if/when things go wrong.

Hopefully you understand, and don't find this discouraging. Scripting is super handy, and can be pretty fun, so keep it up! Your best bet might be to go to my Complete Shell Script update-binary replacement thread and start by learning to piece together your own installer with the functions I've provided.

only about 3 or 4 of us left with /system/etc/init.d. just a tad behind the times.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrrocketdog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrrocketdog Ad-Free
18th January 2020, 12:40 PM |#2600  
Flag Amityville
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

I appreciate you using the idea as a learning process, but there is no such thing as /system/etc/init.d anymore, so neither zip will work. Normal compression should work totally fine, by the way.

Gotcha, file removed. I just noticed the date of when you posted it! I have a device that's still on Lollipop, so I still have some use for it. But yeah not many others. Anyways, I appreciate the encouragement. Will see if I can make sense out of your Complete Shell Script update-binary sometime (read into some of it so far), as that is an area of interest.
The Following User Says Thank You to MadZiontist For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MadZiontist Ad-Free
20th January 2020, 12:14 PM |#2601  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Hello guys
If anyone can help with the issue that i got with busybox and magisk
Running miui 11 7.0 based on note 4x mido
Can't get busybox to work in magisk
Tried flashing trough magisk installer and with Orange Fox Recovery
I get the same results
Any suggestions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version