Portal Refresh Bug Report and Feature Request

Search This thread
I see another problem - when you try to open xda-developers in secure http, web doesn't work properly.

Attachments

• xda-developers.jpg
    xda-developers.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 26

CRXed

Jan 7, 2010
---------------------------------------------------------------
Widget is really inconsistent!

first time I visited the portal, I wasn't logged into the widget.
I went to the forum logged out, logged back in again.
Widget now looks ok on the main page of the portal, but when I click on an article on the portal, I am logged out of the widget on the article page again.

Going to XDA TV, heyyy, widget is logged in again.
Going back home, heyyy, im loggged out again!

This needs a fix guys.:eek:

I am using Chrome 16 on W7/64b

PS: Even though the Widget says I am not logged in, at the bottom where the comments are it says "Welcome. You are logged in to your XDA Forum account."
Sooo.......

XDA FORUMS LOG IN <<<< That LOG IN should really be a link to the login page....

socialBar.png
<<<<< socialBar.png is just that....a PNG, nothing else. Nothing can be clicked.

I agree with the #respond tag. It's there, but it does not do anything.....

The Difficulty rating with the stars and the litttle
questionMark.png
beside it, should really link to a pop-up or something,not take you to a new page, completely away from the page. Aaaarghhhhh

On article pages, why do you guys still use te oldskool orange Image border???? :confused:
That's what we used 10 years ago on HTML pages.

Background should not be white, it should be the same as the forum, to ease my eyes.:eek:

The MORE INFO bit at the bottom doesn't look good on my oldskool 1027*768 resolution. :D See attachment.
The brown footer doesn;t continue and the text just keeps going and going and going....
PS: The RSS feed link should really open in a new window.

Liked al the lines in my post? Yeah didn't thinks so. Well, that's just how the portal looks as well.....waaaaayyyy too much lines.
I kinda looks like the site was made out of oldskool tables from the old days.

Wel. that's it, hope I've helped, thanks for the great site and Happy New Year!

Attachments

• moreinfo.jpg
    moreinfo.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 24

Livven

Aug 23, 2009
Wiesbaden
livven.me
Some suggestions/bugs from me:

• The Facebook Like button is always 52px wide, which is a problem in languages like German, where the text is "Gefällt mir" and thus gets cut off
  • The top stories module doesn't always have the correct links
  • Remove the borders around images in posts. Unneccessary clutter, I think
  • Make the padding in posts content just 1px smaller on each side, 9px, so you can insert excatly 600px wide images in posts. Right now it's 598px wide
That's it for now.

More:

Tag view (example) is a bit messed up (sidebar is pushed down, metadata on posts is old format).

Last edited:
Reactions: TRusselo

KarlosTheJackal

Oct 23, 2010
Redditch
Widget doesn't work like other people have reported

Using Chrome 16.0.912.63 on Windows 8

Tried Logging in & Out & clearing cache, Anyone have any ideas? I quite like the design of the portal just wish I could use it!

zanderman112

Oct 6, 2010
SouthEast USA
www.twitter.com
Please report any bugs here. Mention what browser, browser version, and OS you are using, and also provide steps to recreate the problem.

Also, tell us how to improve the Portal. What new features do you want to see?

Thanks in advance. :cool:

Obviously this is being reported, but the Portal Widget isn't recognizing that I'm logged in no matter what I do.

HP TouchPad on webOS:
Stock webOS Browser
WebOS 3.0.4

And HP Touchpad on CM7:
Stock Android Browser
CM7 Alpha 3.5, Android 2.3.7.

Features Requests:
Nothing atm :)

CRXed

Jan 7, 2010
[*]The Facebook Like button is always 52px wide, which is a problem in languages like German, where the text is "Gefällt mir" and thus gets cut off

Now that the buttons are "fixed", it gets cut off in my language, Dutch, too.
It's suppose to say "Vind ik leuk", but all I see is "Vind il"

I say "fixed", because the Twitter/G+/FB buttons are really buggy.

When you load the portal, first you will see the static PNG, then the clickable buttons will load.
Everytime you mouseover them, they get refreshed, making the buttons disappear/re-appear and making the layout "jump" up and down.

Chrome16/W7

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
still with new news stories, some of the "comments" links are /#respond and some /#comments even after discussing earlier.
I NOTICE A FIX WAS DONE, but the ones that are /#respond go to the page and jump-down to related posts, with comments immediately below at the bottom of your view, so it does kinda work, you see it and you're there, on a netbook or small resolution monitor it would cut-off the comments half way. but when done with the /#comments takes you to the page and jumps down properly to the comments section at the top of your view.

and its not the author either, some by Livven are correct and some not,

in order they appear on page...
10 Predictions for 2012 HP Touchpad Can Now Run Arch Linux -/#respond
Some Fun: Google Failed To Deliver Android-Controlled Lightbulbs -/#respond
Looking Back At 2011 -/#comments
EL01 Update For Verizon Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE Will Add TouchWiz -/#respond
CyanogenMod 7 For Samsung Epic 4G Becomes Official -/#respond
Enable GSM Phone Calls on Your HTC Jetstream - /#respond
LG To Unveil First Intel-Based Android Smartphone At CES, Launch In March -/#comments

Another find:
on the feature story's page, there is a gap in the google/facebook/tweet buttons
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

nemuro

Apr 2, 2010
Congrats for rolling up sleeves and doing a redesign on the portal.

Don't know exactly if this is the place for critique on the new design as well.

Contrast is a quite an issue on this new portal.
Having all white and just doing a grey border won't do wonders to readability.
Also I am quite certain I am not the only one who thinks it's a bit harder on the eye to (quickly) catch the areas of interest upon page load.
This was ironed out on the last design of the portal and different areas were clearly separated by different colors.
If I'm not mistaking, the area where the article was presented as a summary, on the first page, was a bit wider or at least larger.
Buttons for read more also have a similar background in lightness and just having a border isn't enough to quickly see it.

So at this current stage I have two propositions:

1. Please don't change the design of the forum. It has none of the current issues listed above for the portal.
2. If more feel the same like me on the issues presented, I would like to offer "my sword" for aiding in ironing out the issues of the current portal and aid in making information being presented in a more optimised and user friendlier form.
3. If no offence will be taken, I would like to take a wild guess that the design was done by someone who is more leaned towards web development or that wanted to do the design relying on as much basic css as possible without the use of too much or too large images.

Last edited:

plasmastrike

Aug 16, 2008
North ogden
dystopiancode.com
1. Keep page numbers like in the old portal, it's easier to navigate.

2. The banner on the top tells me you care more about ads then what the portal is becouse the 2/3 of the header is an ad.
If you have to have ads put it in a unobstrusive place like the left side of the webpage

Robbie P

Feb 8, 2011
London
Chrome on windows 7
I know I've been using the thanks button a lot lately but it seems to be worn out;)
The other buttons look newer somehow(less pixelated?)
Not sure if this is the right place to post.
Many thanks.

CRXed

Jan 7, 2010

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some suggestions/bugs from me:

• The Facebook Like button is always 52px wide, which is a problem in languages like German, where the text is "Gefällt mir" and thus gets cut off
    • The top stories module doesn't always have the correct links
    • Remove the borders around images in posts. Unneccessary clutter, I think
    • Make the padding in posts content just 1px smaller on each side, 9px, so you can insert excatly 600px wide images in posts. Right now it's 598px wide
    That's it for now.

More:

Tag view (example) is a bit messed up (sidebar is pushed down, metadata on posts is old format).
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I, and our developer, are watching this thread and are working on fixes.