[ROM-DEV] 04/16/10 | Back from the dead | Coming soon

Search This thread

toastcfh

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
the problem is the build thinks this is a gsm phone. its asking for the sim, giving errors about the sim not alowed to use the network and so on. we may get wifi out of this but its still made for gsm notcdma. its prolly something in the build prop or even the kernel thats causing this

flipzmode

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
the problem is the build thinks this is a gsm phone. its asking for the sim, giving errors about the sim not alowed to use the network and so on. we may get wifi out of this but its still made for gsm notcdma. its prolly something in the build prop or even the kernel thats causing this

Yea I'm certain that it's in the kernel, which HTC has made the GSM kernel open source but I believe that Sprint is in control of whether or not they will release the CDMA kernel. As you said I'm confident we could get wifi working but I'm not sure about the rest.

Although it's interesting that calls work... I didn't even try. :cool: But I don't know if it's in the kernel for sure or not. I'll start looking in to it tomorrow.

WhiteWidows

Jul 27, 2009
Yea I'm certain that it's in the kernel, which HTC has made the GSM kernel open source but I believe that Sprint is in control of whether or not they will release the CDMA kernel. As you said I'm confident we could get wifi working but I'm not sure about the rest.

Although it's interesting that calls work... I didn't even try. :cool: But I don't know if it's in the kernel for sure or not. I'll start looking in to it tomorrow.

Looks like he got WiFi working......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERak0Co3MK0

***EDIT***

Thats a GSM Hero

toastcfh

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL

its the "sim, apn. and gsm" part of the build. im not sure if the kernel or what can change that. all the roms we have are based off the orig. cdma heroc rom. this is a gsm base rom. i think wifi is as far as we will get. unless the kernel tells the os to not worry about a sim or apn settings. which im doubting it does,but it could be possible. its good to see that mostly everything works. except wifi,data,and gsensor ofcourse. thanx again to u good job.

oh yeah... did u just hack up there boot.img and plug our kernel into it? is that all it took to get it to work? what didi u do if more?

5tr4t4

Nov 8, 2009

Forgive my grumpiness:D...I'm not responding to you specifically but to the overall way that open source is being handled on Android of late.

The kernel is Linux and therefore open source. HTC and Sprint have no say in the matter. They are both REQUIRED by the GPL to release their source code. This post illustrates my sentiment exactly:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=4733219&postcount=36

tvrvic

May 17, 2007
I believe to get wifi working all you have to do is replace the wlan.ko file from our 1.5 build. I have my wifi working, but I did that as well as a few other files at the same time. I am in the process of verifying that is all that needed to be done.

N0J

Nov 9, 2009
Tx

Any way we can get the power control widget and add it to a Fresh build? :D
btw - after entering adb shell, I was able to make a call

Last edited:

flipzmode

Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
I believe to get wifi working all you have to do is replace the wlan.ko file from our 1.5 build. I have my wifi working, but I did that as well as a few other files at the same time. I am in the process of verifying that is all that needed to be done.

Yup, I figured it would be nothing more than the driver. Cool.

minorsecond

Sep 19, 2009
Forgive my grumpiness:D...I'm not responding to you specifically but to the overall way that open source is being handled on Android of late.

The kernel is Linux and therefore open source. HTC and Sprint have no say in the matter. They are both REQUIRED by the GPL to release their source code. This post illustrates my sentiment exactly:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=4733219&postcount=36

Just messing around, I emailed HTC asking about the kernel, and I just now got this in response:

"It is up to the carrier to decide which HTC phones will be upgraded. If the carrier does not request an update we can not offer one. However, if the carrier does request an update it will be posted at www.htc.com and the carriers website. Unfortunately, we do not have a timeframe when an update will be available."

flipzmode

Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
Just messing around, I emailed HTC asking about the kernel, and I just now got this in response:

"It is up to the carrier to decide which HTC phones will be upgraded. If the carrier does not request an update we can not offer one. However, if the carrier does request an update it will be posted at www.htc.com and the carriers website. Unfortunately, we do not have a timeframe when an update will be available."

Yup yup. Nothing we can do about that.

5tr4t4

Nov 8, 2009

Right, I assume this reply refers to official Sprint/VZW/Tmo binary/firmware OTA updates. My point is that the kernel code itself should be available (I believe it is) and neither HTC nor Sprint has the option to withhold it from the community. Without Linux (and GPL) there would be no Android and we should never let them forget that.

chuckhriczko

Inactive Recognized Developer
For the record, I tried replacing this kernel with the current CDMA Hero kernel and it seemed to do the same thing as without. I am assuming this was built using this kernel.

I also replaced the /system/lib/libhtc_ril.so file with the one from our current Hero builds but that was a huge mistake. Many force closes and it didnt connect to the network at all. It just showed an x by the radio icon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    boot issue,

i had the same prob with the initaial install of 2.1 i booted into recovery then did a wipe again and installed it again and boot it worked maybe try that.
    sorry if its a waste of time,

FYI

my jammed at the HTC screen where the H then the T then the C all light up form left to right mine paused at the T so i knew somthing was up.

post bak if it works i want 2.1 damn it besides it being useless as a phone i liked it, it was dumb fast and i dunno a faw bat files to add apps well be good.
    sean