Aosp vs touch wiz? Which is better?

Search This thread

galaxys3man30

Oct 6, 2012
tallahassee,fl
The main question is which is better touchwiz or aosp? Here everyone can base there opinions on each type of rom. The pro's and con's of each type. Is touchwiz or is aosp better? That is the question

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

decimalman

Nov 3, 2012
TW: gaudy but plenty of added features
AOSP: clean and unobtrusive, more substantially moddable

AOKP is my daily, but I flash TW ROMs when they catch my eye.

slickdaddy96

Sep 8, 2009
AOSP: can't take advantage of eHRPD to transition from 3g to LTE fast and cleanly because eHRPD is proprietary. So it takes ages to switch back and forth and you lose data.

TW: doesn't have this problem and has other features that AOSP doesn't have along with the other features that AOSP does have.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

G

GuestD0701

I've always been a HUGE fan of CM/Aosp. I tried 5 or so tw roms on d2spr and I think they are all AmAzinG and tw has came a loooong way, (new tw is better than older versions..) and we have some VERY skilled devs who build tw roms on d2spr but I favor Aosp. WiFi tether works on Aosp now and does not on tw which I use from the to time to use my Nexus 7 when away from home and no WiFi is available... Some reasons i prefer Aosp: Because its Android open source project not Samsung. I love CM and the theme chooser!! Don't have to boot back into recovery to add mods, we can just install a theme, reboot & in a few secs & completely changes the phone and the themes are endless on the playstore. Theme chooser rocks!!! :D The roms are small and have no bloat/ extra apps added.. On Aosp you can use inverted gapps package or reg, you choose & they aren't built in like tw. (HUGE deal to me to have a big variety to choose from, so many different apps to choose from..) I love all the different kangs! Development blows up on Aosp and there are constant updates straight from source and I love flashing!! o_O [certified crackflasher in 3 states] :what: Aosp is on Jb 4.1.2 now and tw is on 4.1.1. I'm a long time member of the neXus forever club and owned every Nex phone ever made and I just couldn't hold off till next Nex dropped so I purchased the d2spr, not disappointed, really do love this phone and all the roms are great, Tw and Aosp... I like the entire open source community and I think its great that ppl learn and work together and a share their work and ideas and make the whole Android experience better than it already is!! I support open source and always will. Been very broke lately but have donated several times 10$ here and there to devs. (Coming soon, had some unexpected events come up) Guess that's about it, my opinion anyway.:)

Sent from my SPH-L710 (CM10-11/2 & Kt-10/31)

galaxys3man30

Oct 6, 2012
tallahassee,fl
I've always been a HUGE fan of CM/Aosp. I tried 5 or so tw roms on d2spr and I think they are all AmAzinG and tw has came a loooong way, (new tw is better than older versions..) and we have some VERY skilled devs who build tw roms on d2spr but I favor Aosp. WiFi tether works on Aosp now and does not on tw which I use from the to time to use my Nexus 7 when away from home and no WiFi is available... Some reasons i prefer Aosp: Because its Android open source project not Samsung. I love CM and the theme chooser!! Don't have to boot back into recovery to add mods, we can just install a theme, reboot & in a few secs & completely changes the phone and the themes are endless on the playstore. Theme chooser rocks!!! :D The roms are small and have no bloat/ extra apps added.. On Aosp you can use inverted gapps package or reg, you choose & they aren't built in like tw. (HUGE deal to me to have a big variety to choose from, so many different apps to choose from..) I love all the different kangs! Development blows up on Aosp and there are constant updates straight from source and I love flashing!! o_O [certified crackflasher in 3 states] :what: Aosp is on Jb 4.1.2 now and tw is on 4.1.1. I'm a long time member of the neXus forever club and owned every Nex phone ever made and I just couldn't hold off till next Nex dropped so I purchased the d2spr, not disappointed, really do love this phone and all the roms are great, Tw and Aosp... I like the entire open source community and I think its great that ppl learn and work together and a share their work and ideas and make the whole Android experience better than it already is!! I support open source and always will. Been very broke lately but have donated several times 10$ here and there to devs. (Coming soon, had some unexpected events come up) Guess that's about it, my opinion anyway.:)

Sent from my SPH-L710 (CM10-11/2 & Kt-10/31)

Wow that was very good bro see I was kinda tossed on which way I should go aosp or tw on running jelly bomb right now but I can't run ktoon kernel on it it just drains my battery fast I mean I take my phone off charger at 730 am and by 12 I'm down to 30% tryed everything in the book to fix it n nothing worked so far but not to take away from jelly bomb rom its a awesome rom super slick rom but just don't agree with ktoon kernel but I've been looking at aosp roms all day n you just explained a lot to help me understand better what's better thx man

freecharlesmanson

Nov 21, 2010
Aosp every time. Mainly it's a trade of features that gets me. I hate the aosp camera (main gripe ) but love the lock screen the theme engine and swipe brightness feature. I also detest the alarm clock in aosp. The cleanness ofthe install is a breeze to work with much easier to cut away all the fat in the system apps
The dialer is nicer in aosp in the end I usually go back to aosp because the battery is fantastic and I can have pretty themes o and the volume to skip track option is tip top

Reactions: galaxys3man30

slickdaddy96

Sep 8, 2009
Hey Galaxy,

Have you tried just the stock release for TW with Ktoonsez kernel? I am thinking the battery drain issue people are having are on some of these custom TW ROM's people are using.

galaxys3man30

Oct 6, 2012
tallahassee,fl
Hey Galaxy,

Have you tried just the stock release for TW with Ktoonsez kernel? I am thinking the battery drain issue people are having are on some of these custom TW ROM's people are using.

no I haven't try that yet on stock tw rom n uea that's what mw86 n ktoon is been talking about for a couple of days now but it is only on tw n not on aosp or aokp however you want to say it

budde2

May 15, 2012
Tampa
I think Touchwiz is better I love all the features it has AOKP is nice and love it to just its to bare bone for me.

EndlessDissent

Oct 18, 2010
Chicago
I should have known that the 8 question marks in the title were going to lead to a post with butchered spelling and grammar as if the English dictionary doesn't exist.

Haha. As if the inconsistent capitalization and spacing wasn't enough of a giveaway... But I'm going to try to ignore the anti-grammatical OP and toss in my opinion anyway.

I personally tried to like Touchwiz when I first got the S3. I heard it was different. It was a big leap forward for Samsung's UI. It was supposed to be good. It's not (IMO). It does have a lot of useful features, but I kept finding more and more of the features to be super gimmicky. For instance, I know a lot of people find Smart Stay to be very useful, but it never worked for me, even in well-lit areas. I never used the motion or voice controls. They seemed unintuitive and clunky. The fact that the phone wakes on any received SMS/MMS and I can't change it without a 3rd party app is a big con for TW. Not only that, but I thought the color scheme was hideous - there were always either too many colors or the ones that were used clashed so badly that my eyes physically hurt from looking at the screen. Yeah, I can theme it, but can't it at least be tolerable out of the box like Sense or stock Android? Then, there's the lack of scrollable wallpaper with no way to change it; the immovable App Drawer icon; the immovable, unconfigurable toggles in the notification tray; the lack of native WiFi tether (I barely use it, but I like to know I can when I need it). On top of all that, in order to get decent performance out of the stock ROM, I had to disable at least 25 useless apps. And even then, there were performance issues (anyone who's used the XDA app in Touchwiz long enough knows how unusable it becomes; and that's the least of the problems). I just found Touchwiz to be too limiting of an experience for me.

On CM, I'm a lot happier. I don't theme the ROM because I don't feel like it's necessary; there is no gaudy purple/florescent green color combo anywhere, and the color scheme as a whole is much more cohesive. I have all the features I need and want to use without any of the problems. I get to customize it however I want. I don't have to disable a ton of apps that I can't uninstall. I get WiFi tether built into the ROM. I get everything I need without the gimmicks.

Frankly, if the best thing from Touchwiz that I'm missing is the camera (and it is), then I don't see the point in using Touchwiz over CM. Everything just feels a lot more streamlined here; less in-your-face.

Jfree3000

Jul 20, 2010
Metro Atlanta
Long time Sense user, hell this is my first Sammy. The reason I don't use AOSP is because as someone else mentioned, it is not completely bug free and the camera is not to my liking. I keep flip flopping back and forth but end up going back to touchwiz because of the gestures and motions built into the system.

If AOSP ever got the swipe to call and other touchwiz gestures and a better camera I would be all over it. Oh and the data swap/signal loss is what is really keeping me away from AOSP.

On a side note every time is see AOSP I was to say ASOP, like the fables lol!

slickdaddy96

Sep 8, 2009
That really is the only reason I have not gone AOSP. The length of time it takes switching from 3g to LTE and back. I would try it out if they fixed eHRPD to fix the data problem.

nicholaaaas

Jun 18, 2010
B-more
AOSP: can't take advantage of eHRPD to transition from 3g to LTE fast and cleanly because eHRPD is proprietary. So it takes ages to switch back and forth and you lose data.

TW: doesn't have this problem and has other features that AOSP doesn't have along with the other features that AOSP does have.

WiMax was cracked. What makes you think this won't be?

Plus eHRPD is a standard of the Third Generation Partnership Project 2. The are a non profit organisation. So I highly doubt eHRPD is proprietary. That doesn't mean things that depend on it like driver code isn't. But it will be fixed--soon.

slickdaddy96

Sep 8, 2009
WiMax was cracked. What makes you think this won't be?

Plus eHRPD is a standard of the Third Generation Partnership Project 2. The are a non profit organisation. So I highly doubt eHRPD is proprietary. That doesn't mean things that depend on it like driver code isn't. But it will be fixed--soon.

Well when it's fix I will try it, but until then the problem with data is a deal breaker for me and I would imagine a lot of people that want a daily driver.

Tyzing

Jun 8, 2010
Aosp but really just MIUI the features that ROM has really makes me want that X phone that its stock on... so sexy

Also battery life is sick on Koons and MIUI... I went about 1 day and 16 hours and I was even using it!

EndlessDissent

Oct 18, 2010
Chicago
Um...everything. eHRPD not working takes data forever to transition from 3g to LTE, a deal breaker IMHO. When they fix it (if they fix it since it will take reverse engineering to achieve that) I will try AOSP.

It's not like Wimax. They don't have to reverse engineer anything this time. I don't know why you'd assume that. The only reason it hasn't been fixed is that the devs didn't have access to upgraded towers yet. Now that NV is spreading and more people can test the RIL settings, it should be fixed very soon. The most recent test build even had it mostly fixed. If I lost data on it, it was for 5 seconds at the most, and most handoffs were seamless. It's just a matter of time now.

Reactions: galaxys3man30

freecharlesmanson

Nov 21, 2010
Yeah aosp aside from me plain old liking it, is a sortof investment. You run it, you test it. It constantly improves. When sprint doesn't even support this device any more aosp will still be getting updates. And will inevitably come to out perform tw with enough time

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I should have known that the 8 question marks in the title were going to lead to a post with butchered spelling and grammar as if the English dictionary doesn't exist.

TW: gaudy but plenty of added features
    AOSP: clean and unobtrusive, more substantially moddable

AOKP is my daily, but I flash TW ROMs when they catch my eye.

What is the difference between the 3: TouchWiz, AOSP & AOKP?

Touchwiz is Samsung. aOSP is pure Google, and AOKP/CM are modified AOSP.

Re: Aosp vs touch wiz????????

Gotta throw in a plug for my favorite Rom, Wicked Sensations. It's TW based so everything works, but it's debloated and fully themed so it's smooth, fast, rock solid stable, and beautiful... doesn't really look like tw at all. Best of both worlds!