Towelroot

Search This thread

GcMick

Jun 16, 2014
If you want to downgrade you need to unlock your bootloader which isn't possible on the 4.3 update.

Please forgive my ignorance, but if you're running 4.4 can one unlock the bootloader after running towelroot? :confused:

I'm currently on 4.3 and rooted. I've been holding off on upgrading to 4.4 because I didn't want to lose root. I would ultimately like to try a custom firmware.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Please forgive my ignorance, but if you're running 4.4 can one unlock the bootloader after running towelroot? :confused:

I'm currently on 4.3 and rooted. I've been holding off on upgrading to 4.4 because I didn't want to lose root. I would ultimately like to try a custom firmware.

KitKat is not available for the Verizon S3. As of this moment, one can not unlock the bootloader on the Verizon S3 once you're on 4.3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: meandg5

GcMick

Jun 16, 2014
If you want to downgrade you need to unlock your bootloader which isn't possible on the 4.3 update.

KitKat is not available for the Verizon S3. As of this moment, one can not unlock the bootloader on the Verizon S3 once you're on 4.3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

I have been prompted with an OTA update recently. I have used Titanium Backup to prevent the install so I could maintain root. I'm currently on 4.3, so I assumed it was 4.4. My mistake.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
I have been prompted with an OTA update recently. I have used Titanium Backup to prevent the install so I could maintain root. I'm currently on 4.3, so I assumed it was 4.4. My mistake.

It's all good. If you are already on VRUCML1 OTA, then the prompt is an update to VRUCNC1 4.3 OTA. Now, if you are already on VRUCNC1 4.3, then we are onto something.

meandg5

Feb 18, 2011
New York
Just curious, anyone that was successful on the NC1 update see the counter get tripped?

Mine stayed at 0

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

It's all good. If you are already on VRUCML1 OTA, then the prompt is an update to VRUCNC1 4.3 OTA. Now, if you are already on VRUCNC1 4.3, then we are onto something.

I was on NC1 and like I said, it rooted and didn't trip the counter.

Reactions: vbhokiefan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157 I tried this and it worked... Its an apk... Basically a 1 touch root and I verified it with root checker... :Good

I'm presuming unrooting before accepting any further updates should they ever happen. :eek:
    Whatever you do do not take another OTA update no matter how small. Towlroot will no longer root. The exploit has been patched. :cool:
    Why does the bootloader need to be unlocked if the device is rooted? Tell me what I'm missing.

Root but locked bootloader means no custom recovery which means no AOSP ROMs, no custom TW kernels, and no flashing custom TW ROMs the traditional way. The only option available would eventually be safestrap which can only run 4.2 TW ML1 based custom ROMs at the moment. There is currently no way to unlock the bootloader on 4.3 TW, and safe to say it will remain that way on 4.4.2.
    This still dont allow us to downgrade right? Just gives us root?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app

Will this ever be supported to work on HTC one m7 running 4.4.2?

No. If you Google GeoHot and towelroot, I'm sure you will find links letting you know GeoHot now works for Google and neither he nor anyone else is doing anything to update towelroot. Beside that, the vulnerability towelroot exploited has been patched. So there is nothing to update. This topic has been beaten to death worse than a dead horse.