FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Charging + TOMTOM = Problem

23 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By soponcio_virtual, Junior Member on 5th May 2008, 10:44 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi to all!!.
Let's see if someone out there can give me a reason or a solution for my problem.
This weekend I went on a long trip and I found that if I use my TomTom while charging the Kaiser (regular car charger) at some point the PDA stopped charging and showed the "low battery" icon. The only way to get it charging again is doing a soft reset (with the device unplugged) and then plugging it again.
This is quite annoying since it's impossible to do this while driving since I need the GPS to get to my destination (this is the reason to have GPS, right!?)

any solutions??? I would be eternally gratefull if someone gets me out of this!
Thanxs in advance.

5th May 2008, 03:21 PM |#2  

More
What is the current rating of the charger? When I used a cheap charger made for the RAZR I couldn't keep a positive charge when using GPS and sometimes it would stop charging and I'd have to disconnect and re-connect it. Didn't have to reset though. I suggest you get a higher current charger made for the Kaiser.
5th May 2008, 03:53 PM |#3  

More
marc
I had this problem too and I simply changed the charger. Also, make sure that you see the "charging" icon with the electrical cord displayed when the device is connected.
5th May 2008, 04:03 PM |#4  

More
I've had similar problems using several different car chargers.

When looking at the charger specs, I saw they all had a 1000mA current maximum. When I found a HTC charger for the TYTNII I immediately looked at the specs, and behold: 2000mA max. current

With the HTC 2000mA charger I haven't had any problems sofar. A week ago I drove 3000km using my TYTNII with tomtom and Charging/navigating went fine.
5th May 2008, 04:15 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Zaragoza

More
Yes... that may be the issue, I'm not using a cheap charger, I'm using the cheapest charger I could find!!!! jajajaja
And in fact it was done for the V3 RAZR... so... I'll try not to be so mean and buy a good one!.
I will tell you if this worked!... Many thanxs!!
6th May 2008, 12:25 PM |#6  

More
I thought this was just happening to me as no-one posted about it 'til now!
Mine is from mobilefun, supposedly fine for a Kaiser, but i guess it's not.
There's no details on the product page about what current it can draw, but at £7 i think i may need a better one.

Can anyone point me to a site that quotes the rated mA for their products?
6th May 2008, 04:10 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
It's definitely the charger. I got 2 cheap ones from overseas for about $1 and I use it to charge up my psp and kaiser. The home adapter can't charge up the psp but only the phone and the car adapter can charge up both at the same time with no problems. And its using the exact same cable as well. So its definitely the adapter.
7th May 2008, 08:50 AM |#8  

More
I agree 100% - I bought a cheap charger from eBay, but it would not charge the phone when using TomTom - and barely hold the charge when playing MP3s. I replaced witha genuine HTC charger and everything is fine
7th May 2008, 09:46 AM |#9  
Flag Buckinghamshire
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Your mileage with HTC original chargers may vary
The idea of using an original HTC charger for some reason seems popular here. The original charger that came with my 'sealed box' TyTN II lasted 4 charges (about 2 weeks as I'd charged by USB cable the rest of the time) before it made a loud click and the light extinguished for the last time. When I called HTC to ask whether a different model of replacement could be provided I was told I would only receive another charger of the same model. Not wanting to have the possibility of regular failures (and this thing did look cheap and nasty), I bought a different charger for £8.95 and that ones been going fine since. The one I now have is shiny and black (matching the TyTN II casing perfectly) and it came with a set of different interchangable 'prong adapters' so I can use it in the UK, USA, Europe and Australia

For a multiband top of the range phone like the TyTN II, why didn't the manufacturers supply these in the first place. My rating of the original HTC TyTN II charger that came supplied with my UK sourced device in Sep 2007 is 0 out of 10
7th May 2008, 11:16 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I bought a 300W inverter from Maplin for £20 and use the three pin plug charger that I use in the house...
7th May 2008, 12:38 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmr

I've had similar problems using several different car chargers.

When looking at the charger specs, I saw they all had a 1000mA current maximum. When I found a HTC charger for the TYTNII I immediately looked at the specs, and behold: 2000mA max. current

With the HTC 2000mA charger I haven't had any problems sofar. A week ago I drove 3000km using my TYTNII with tomtom and Charging/navigating went fine.

Could you let us know where you got this charger? I think I am running 700mA in the car, which is a SLOW charge... Thanks for the help...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)