[Q] odin says" Can't open the serial(COM) port." and fails to flash recovery.tar

Search This thread

HiM@L

Nov 5, 2010
[Q] odin says" Can't open the serial(COM) port." and fails to flash recovery.tar

hey,...
i am trying to root my tmobile galaxy S2 and i am in downloading mode...put recovery.tar file in PDA section and when i hit start...nothing happens and after a while i get failed notice and says " Can't open the serial(COM) port." what am i doing wrong.

Reactions: baddogdave

phi11yphan

Dec 16, 2007
hey,...
i am trying to root my tmobile galaxy S2 and i am in downloading mode...put recovery.tar file in PDA section and when i hit start...nothing happens and after a while i get failed notice and says " Can't open the serial(COM) port." what am i doing wrong.

Kies could be interfering with Odin ...

I too was having "Can't open the Serial COM". Kies was interfering.

Go into Kies, Tools -> Preferences, unselect "Run Samsung Kies automatically when a device is connected", save the change, close out of Kies, and then restart ODIN 3. Try flashing now.

richardlibeau

Feb 19, 2012
Albemarle, NC
hey,...

also sometimes you have to try a different version of odin before it works it happens to me alot. one odin wont work but another does. it's crazy.

axarturk

Oct 7, 2012
Can't open the serial(COM) port Error

hey,...

I had the same problem and I fixed it by exiting from Kies software. You might get this new error "Complete(Write) operation failed". Then all you should do is just pulling your battery out and restarting odin and phone. I disables the firewall too, but I don't think the problem was firewall. Anyway mine is working well and I did it.

jpx2008

Nov 28, 2011
Hi, I'm also having the same problem. The 'Charging paused...' message kept popping up so I tried to flash a different official rom via odin (I was on official ICS). Unfortunately the flash failed and now when I try to turn on the phone the 'Firmware upgrade encountered an isuue......' message comes up. I tried connenting to kies also but can not to do so. I have hope as i can get into download mode but can't flash a rom. I got halfway once then suddenly it failed again. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: alfys0071

von Staubig

Jul 25, 2011
Thank You.

Go into Kies, Tools -> Preferences, unselect "Run Samsung Kies automatically when a device is connected", save the change, close out of Kies, and then restart ODIN 3. Try flashing now.

Thank You.
disabled Kies and problem solved

iNeedICS

Jan 26, 2012
that one place
Re: [Q] odin says" Can't open the serial(COM) port." and fails to flash recovery.tar

Thanks, this is what was causing me this error. I was close to Hulk-smashing expensive things :laugh:

Haha yea don't resort to hulk smashing things lol just send them to me instead of breaking them I'll delightfully take them off your hands! I'll pm you my address so you can ship xD jkjklolol

Sent from Squishy's N⁴!

Bricts

Jan 17, 2014
This worked for me

I had the same exact problem (but this was on my Galaxy Y )

What I had was an old version of KIES (~ 2011 ).

Steps :

1) Uninstall the old Kies
2) Download the latest Kies (2013)

ttffjioo

Jan 31, 2015
I have installed drivers but i cant connect my phone to pc when odin mode is on in phone but i can connect phone to pc when bootloader is on or recovery mode is on . However, when i boot into recovery mode and connect phone to pc and open odin and start it ,it shoes cant open the serial (com) port.
what to do
I'm flashing stock software to phone as my phone got bricked, hurry please help me to unbrick

D

Darth

I have installed drivers but i cant connect my phone to pc when odin mode is on in phone but i can connect phone to pc when bootloader is on or recovery mode is on . However, when i boot into recovery mode and connect phone to pc and open odin and start it ,it shoes cant open the serial (com) port.
what to do
I'm flashing stock software to phone as my phone got bricked, hurry please help me to unbrick

The phone needs to be in download mode for Odin. And kies shouldn't be running on your PC. Go to task manager and kill any kies processes.

Download mode on the phone as I remember is power button and volume down.

?

D

Darth

If anyone is using Odin to flash 4.1.2, I found either Odin 3.04 or to be the only ones that worked for me.

ttffjioo

Jan 31, 2015
The phone needs to be in download mode for Odin. And kies shouldn't be running on your PC. Go to task manager and kill any kies processes.

Download mode on the phone as I remember is power button and volume down.
when my phone is on download mode for odin, it cant connect to pc as yellow border line is not showing on odin . I have uninstalled my kies.
tell me what to do

D

Darth

when my phone is on download mode for odin, it cant connect to pc as yellow border line is not showing on odin . I have uninstalled my kies.
tell me what to do

Try different Odin versions perhaps. Uninstall Samsung drivers and install the newest kies again to reinstall them. Don't need to uninstall kies , just be sure all its processes are killed in your PC task manager.

There's nothing you can do until your phone and Odin are communicating. Try another cable, try another USB port on your computer. Last, try another computer.

ttffjioo

Jan 31, 2015
Try different Odin versions perhaps. Uninstall Samsung drivers and install the newest kies again to reinstall them. Don't need to uninstall kies , just be sure all its processes are killed in your PC task manager.

There's nothing you can do until your phone and Odin are communicating. Try another cable, try another USB port on your computer. Last, try another computer.
I have downloaded latest kies 3 from official website with latest drivers
I uses cable of my tab 4 (which easily get connects with pc with its cable) to connect my y duos to pc.
Am i doing any thing wrong?

D

Darth

I have downloaded latest kies 3 from official website with latest drivers
I uses cable of my tab 4 (which easily get connects with pc with its cable) to connect my y duos to pc.
Am i doing any thing wrong?

Try everything I suggested. Otherwise, I'm out of ideas unfortunately.

I'm curious, what does your phone show as in device manager in pc when connected? Or is it not being seen at all?

And Y Duos? You know this is the Tmobile S2 section, right? ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hey,...

Kies could be interfering with Odin ...

uninstall Kies if u have ut because the drivers stick i did and now it works lol
    Did you install the usb drivers first? If not here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?6onrjbyd46j4lhj

that could be the only reason i can think of that odin isn't detecting phone. Also try a different usb port on the computer, and if that doesn't work try a different cable.
    Thank You.

Thank You.
    disabled Kies and problem solved
    Can't open the serial(COM) port Error

hey,...

I had the same problem and I fixed it by exiting from Kies software. You might get this new error "Complete(Write) operation failed". Then all you should do is just pulling your battery out and restarting odin and phone. I disables the firewall too, but I don't think the problem was firewall. Anyway mine is working well and I did it.