Alternative Keyboard / Language Firestick 4k

Search This thread

smeagolheart

Aug 26, 2011
I checked the forums and couldn't find that this was answered. I got a Firestick 4k and want to change the on screen keyboard / language to something other than supported languages (yes I see where you can go in settings to change).

I sideloaded a keyboard app that I use on other android devices but it doesn't seem to do anything with the firestick and and an external keyboard - it's not bringing up the custom keyboard app.

Any suggestions?

tsynik

Dec 14, 2010
I checked the forums and couldn't find that this was answered. I got a Firestick 4k and want to change the on screen keyboard / language to something other than supported languages (yes I see where you can go in settings to change).

I sideloaded a keyboard app that I use on other android devices but it doesn't seem to do anything with the firestick and and an external keyboard - it's not bringing up the custom keyboard app.

Any suggestions?

there are 2 options:

1st you need to activate and set new KeyBoard via adb:

Code:
ime list
Here is the example list of installed keyboards, look at 1st line with keyboard ID:
mantis:/ $ ime list
com.amazon.tv.ime/.FireTVIME:
mId=com.amazon.tv.ime/.FireTVIME mSettingsActivityName=null mSupportsSwitchingToNextInputMethod=true
mIsDefaultResId=0x0
Service:
org.liskovsoft.leankeykeyboard.pro/com.google.leanback.ime.LeanbackImeService:
mId=org.liskovsoft.leankeykeyboard.pro/com.google.leanback.ime.LeanbackImeService mSettingsActivityName=null mSupportsSwitchingToNextInputMethod=false
mIsDefaultResId=0x0
Service:

next enable desired one and set it default:
Code:
ime enable org.liskovsoft.leankeykeyboard.pro/com.google.leanback.ime.LeanbackImeService
Code:
ime set org.liskovsoft.leankeykeyboard.pro/com.google.leanback.ime.LeanbackImeService
thats it.

2nd option is install Buttons Remapper apk and define there any key press to show Choose Keyboard dialogue. You'll can switch between keyboards from UI.

Last edited:

Intenti0n

Nov 24, 2013
I have installed the LeanKey Keyboard_v4.3.39 on my 4k Firststick and tried to open it (in case something had to be started for this process to work)

If i type in

"ime list"

That only lists the default keyboard for me.

If i type in:

ime enable org.liskovsoft.leankeykeyboard.pro/com.google.leanback.ime.LeanbackImeService

i get the error "Unknown ID com.amazon.tv.ime/.FireTVIME

have you tested this yourself on a 4K firestick?

tsynik

Dec 14, 2010
have you tested this yourself on a 4K firestick?
Yes, I used both on FireTV 4K before, but "ime" part was tested on previous OS release (probably 6.2.6.3).
There is still option to enable it without root by writing secure settings, you can use companion app for it: FireTVjack.
You must grant this app permission to write secure settings via adb:
Code:
  adb shell
  pm grant com.amazon.fireh1jack android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
  pm grant com.amazon.fireh1jack android.permission.CHANGE_CONFIGURATION
  pm grant com.amazon.fireh1jack android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW
and reboot. It will activate LeanKey Keyboard on boot. It also have language switch for RU/UK/DE/EN language.

Last edited:

Intenti0n

Nov 24, 2013
there are 2 options:

Code:
ime list
Here is the example list of installed keyboards, look at 1st line with keyboard ID:

Code:
Code:
ime set org.liskovsoft.leankeykeyboard.pro/com.google.leanback.ime.LeanbackImeService
thats it.

2nd option is install Buttons Remapper apk and define there any key press to show Choose Keyboard dialogue. You'll can switch between keyboards from UI.

Yes, I used both on FireTV 4K before, but "ime" part was tested on previous OS release (probably 6.2.6.3).
There is still option to enable it without root by writing secure settings, you can use companion app for it: FireTVjack.
You must grant this app permission to write secure settings via adb:
Code:
  adb shell
and reboot. It will activate LeanKey Keyboard on boot. It also have language switch for RU/UK/DE/EN language.

Thanks and this works on a default 4K firestick without any unlocking / rooting?

I only ask as I can see you mention fireh1jack in another thread that is for firesticks with an unlocked bootloader.

Intenti0n

Nov 24, 2013
Yes, this tool works on stock unrooted firesticks also. But you need to grant needed permissions to it via adb.
We don't need FireTVjack on rooted devices at all ;)

I just tried this on a clean 4k firestick.

Installed FireTVJack

connected via ADB and ran these 3 commands:

all commands accepted without error.

If i start the FireTVJack app, it asks me to select a launcher.

If I reboot the device, the default keyboard doesn't change.

If i click on the LeanKeyboard Pro - nothing happens.

have i missed a step?

thanks

tsynik

Dec 14, 2010
Strange.
That's expected behaviour - that shortcut for Keyboard settings activity which doesn't exist on FireTV
have i missed a step?
thanks
Nope. Only thing needed to add/switch keyboard is to write its component to secure settings. On unrooted FireTV, user can't write those settings, but programs with granted WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS perms can. In h1jack there is OnBootComplete receiver which looks for exact packages and add them to settings if exist.
Code:
("org.liskovsoft.leankeykeyboard.pro", "com.google.leanback.ime.LeanbackImeService");
("com.example.semitop7.FireTVStyle", ".FireTVStyleIME");
It worked on unrooted 6.2.6.5 without issues. Why it doesn't work for you on 6.2.6.6? I don't know, and can't test because my 4K rooted and LeanKeyKeyboard Pro works fine. Does your version match (it must have id - org.liskovsoft.leankeykeyboard.pro and 4.3.30 version)?

P.S. What output you have with that command on adb:
Code:
settings list secure|grep input

Last edited:
Reactions: Intenti0n

Intenti0n

Nov 24, 2013
Strange.

That's expected behaviour - that shortcut for Keyboard settings activity which doesn't exist on FireTV

Nope. Only thing needed to add/switch keyboard is to write its component to secure settings. On unrooted FireTV, user can't write those settings, but programs with granted WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS perms can. In h1jack there is OnBootComplete receiver which looks for exact packages and add them to settings if exist.
Code:
("org.liskovsoft.leankeykeyboard.pro", "com.google.leanback.ime.LeanbackImeService");
It worked on unrooted 6.2.6.5 without issues. Why it doesn't work for you on 6.2.6.6? I don't know, and can't test because my 4K rooted and LeanKeyKeyboard Pro works fine. Does your version match (it must have id - org.liskovsoft.leankeykeyboard.pro and 4.3.30 version)?

Code:

I am on 6.2.6.8 FireOS.

I noticed you mentioned leankeyboard 4.3.30. I was running 4.3.29.

I removed that and installed 4.3.30, rebooted and now when I run the command

I get:
default_input_method=org.liskovsoft.leankeykeyboard.pro/com.google.leanback.ime.LeanbackImeService
enabled_input_methods=com.amazon.tv.ime/.FireTVIME:eek:rg.liskovsoft.leankeykeyboard.pro/com.google.leanback.ime.LeanbackImeService
input_methods_subtype_history=com.amazon.tv.ime/.FireTVIME;1802354156
selected_input_method_subtype=-1

Many thanks for your time!.

I really was hoping for a voice input key with this custom keyboard, so I could use my voice to input text in 3rd party apps. Would there be any possibility of that?

tsynik

Dec 14, 2010
I really was hoping for a voice input key with this custom keyboard, so I could use my voice to input text in 3rd party apps. Would there be any possibility of that?
You can try different keyboards with voice options, but probably most of them rely on Google Search itself. Even with Google Search installed I can switch to it with keyboard chooser, but voice input doesn't work for that apk version. Maybe others will work somehow.

Reactions: Intenti0n

Intenti0n

Nov 24, 2013
You can try different keyboards with voice options, but probably most of them rely on Google Search itself. Even with Google Search installed I can switch to it with keyboard chooser, but voice input doesn't work for that apk version. Maybe others will work somehow.

even if I install another keyboard apk....

How will I give that permission ? as you said the FireTVjack has " OnBootComplete receiver which looks for exact packages" . - but that wont contain the custom package name for a random keyboard apk that I would try ?

tsynik

Dec 14, 2010
even if I install another keyboard apk....
How will I give that permission ? as you said the FireTVjack has " OnBootComplete receiver which looks for exact packages" . - but that wont contain the custom package name for a random keyboard apk that I would try ?

You can install apk which can edit settings (Settings Database Editor for example), grant needed permission to it and use it's UI to edit settings db directly.

Last edited:

crzsotona

Jan 17, 2020
I cannot get to LeanKey Keyboard to appear on IME list.
Fire TV Stick 4k, FireOS 6.2.6.8.
FireTVJack installed, all permissions granted,rebooted many times
Installed LeanKey 4.3.30 and 4.3.39
Any thoughts?

tsynik

Dec 14, 2010

crzsotona

Jan 17, 2020
org.liskovsoft.androidtv.rukeyboard/com.liskovsoft.leankeyboard.keyboard.leanback.ime.LeanbackImeService
This is leankey package name on my Fire Stick I was successful in activating on my stick.

ksa_

Feb 3, 2010
That's an old post, but I wonder if any of this is still relevant? Google gives this thread as a first result. I tried all of this with Fire Stick 4k Max gen2 and none if this seem to work.
I tried to install LeanKey (6.1.20). Then fireh1jack (4.0.9) and give it the mentioned permissions. LeanKey is not in the ime list, nor it seems to affect any system input dialogs.
Would like to see any hints...

Pedro-SA

Nov 22, 2021
How do I do this part? I tried to activate accessibility through adb shell after installing firetvjack but I was unsuccessful. I managed to remap the Bluetooth controls (both the remote and the game via keymap) but I'm left with a text keyboard so I needed to switch when necessary. I would like to teach this later, I think it will help to remap a lot of things

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Any suggestions?

there are 2 options:

Code:
    ime list
    mantis:/ $ ime list
    com.amazon.tv.ime/.FireTVIME:
    mId=com.amazon.tv.ime/.FireTVIME mSettingsActivityName=null mSupportsSwitchingToNextInputMethod=true
    mIsDefaultResId=0x0
    Service:
    org.liskovsoft.leankeykeyboard.pro/com.google.leanback.ime.LeanbackImeService:
    mId=org.liskovsoft.leankeykeyboard.pro/com.google.leanback.ime.LeanbackImeService mSettingsActivityName=null mSupportsSwitchingToNextInputMethod=false
    mIsDefaultResId=0x0
    Service:

Code:
    Code:
    thats it.

Thanks and this works on a default 4K firestick without any unlocking / rooting?
    Yes, this tool works on stock unrooted firesticks also. But you need to grant needed permissions to it via adb.
    We don't need FireTVjack on rooted devices at all ;)
    Strange.
    have i missed a step?
    thanks
    Code:

Code: