Recovery bootloop

Search This thread
Hi I've been an avid flasher for years without problems but today I have a huge problem!!

I flashed xenon s latest and flashed gapps via Cwm but it wouldn't boot so when I rebooted it just goes into a bootloop into recovery but it only loads the recovery slightly before rebooting again.

I've tried entering the bootloader by powering off etc and holding volume +&- and power but still can't enter

I've also tried pulling the battery and trying but still no luck

Please can anyone help

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

PrizmaticSmoke

Jan 29, 2014
Can you share how you solved? I've been seeing this problem reported all over the forum and no one has yet posted any solution aside from replacing the main board or RMA.

I will post the solution tonight with step by step and images but out atm but I will post

Here is my solution step by step.

1 install 'wugs root toolkit & skipsoft android toolkit
3eraje8a.jpg
a9a6y2ej.jpg

2 install USB drivers from skipsoft as its easier - select option 1 after entering the main menu

3 you need to select the build of your custom ROM in wugsfresh toolkit 4.1/4.2/4.4 etc (this is important as if you choose the wrong build it won't work straight away and you will have to try each build individually).

4.in wugsfresh select "soft bricked" and select "launch advanced Utilities"

5.select (boot temporary _ custom Recovery) and execute
now connect your n7 with the usb

6 you will see prompts on the screen saying Rebooting into bootloader and at this point press the volume down button constantly if you get a prompt "device not found......" Just press OK and follow the procedure again until your bootloader starts( of it doesn't work try a different build

7 once you bootloader starts unplug your USB instantly and then scroll down using the volume keys and select "reboot bootloader"

8 close wugsfresh "Ctrl+alt &del and end process" and restart your computer

9 after pc reboot enter the skipsoft toolkit and you can connect your n7 (still in bootloader mode) via usb

10 select your build and download the recoveries when prompted
11 when in the main menu select option 6 "flash custom recovery" and select twrp only
a7ubemaq.jpg

12 flash away (if it doesn't detect your n7 (reboot bootloader on your n7) and try again

13 once you've flashed successfully (on your n7 scroll down and select reboot into recovery and twrp should load.

14 from here you can install your desired ROM with a otg cable or from a ROM on you devices storage but if you don't have a otg cable or a rom on your storage go to the next step

15 download your desired ROM and place it on your PCs hard drive. Open wugsfresh toolkit and select launch utilities again

16 select "flash zip -file is on the computer"and press OK when prompted and select your downloaded ROM /enable wipe selected partitions and select data cache and dalvic and then confirm operation

17 you will see a prompt stating "sending ROM.......to device" this will take sometime be patient once it's completed it will reboot your device back into twrp recovery and the file will be on your devices storage in a folder called "ready to flash" and the rest is up to you.

18 once your booted into your device os you can reflash your desired recovery with the toolkit of your choice

Hope this helps

PrizmaticSmoke

Jan 29, 2014
Wow, did you just trial and error your way through that?

Interesting that you needed to use both toolkits, but whatever works...

Hopefully this will help some folks that were otherwise SOL with a bricked tablet. :good:

SHABBYLEA

May 15, 2014
Congleton, Cheshire.

3eraje8a.jpg
a9a6y2ej.jpg

2 install USB drivers from skipsoft as its easier - select option 1 after entering the main menu

3 you need to select the build of your custom ROM in wugsfresh toolkit 4.1/4.2/4.4 etc (this is important as if you choose the wrong build it won't work straight away and you will have to try each build individually).

6 you will see prompts on the screen saying Rebooting into bootloader and at this point press the volume down button constantly if you get a prompt "device not found......" Just press OK and follow the procedure again until your bootloader starts( of it doesn't work try a different build

7 once you bootloader starts unplug your USB instantly and then scroll down using the volume keys and select "reboot bootloader"

9 after pc reboot enter the skipsoft toolkit and you can connect your n7 (still in bootloader mode) via usb

11 when in the main menu select option 6 "flash custom recovery" and select twrp only
a7ubemaq.jpg

12 flash away (if it doesn't detect your n7 (reboot bootloader on your n7) and try again

13 once you've flashed successfully (on your n7 scroll down and select reboot into recovery and twrp should load.

14 from here you can install your desired ROM with a otg cable or from a ROM on you devices storage but if you don't have a otg cable or a rom on your storage go to the next step

15 download your desired ROM and place it on your PCs hard drive. Open wugsfresh toolkit and select launch utilities again

16 select "flash zip -file is on the computer"and press OK when prompted and select your downloaded ROM /enable wipe selected partitions and select data cache and dalvic and then confirm operation

17 you will see a prompt stating "sending ROM.......to device" this will take sometime be patient once it's completed it will reboot your device back into twrp recovery and the file will be on your devices storage in a folder called "ready to flash" and the rest is up to you.

18 once your booted into your device os you can reflash your desired recovery with the toolkit of your choice

Hope this helps

Will give it a try later today & post results...

Fingers crossed!

Thanks,

Shabby.

Wow, did you just trial and error your way through that?

Interesting that you needed to use both toolkits, but whatever works...

Hopefully this will help some folks that were otherwise SOL with a bricked tablet. :good:

Yes had to use both toolkits as you can't flash recovery in bootloader mode in wugfresh but you can in the other

xdarkstar13x

May 30, 2014
Recovery Bootloop Nexus 7

Yes had to use both toolkits as you can't flash recovery in bootloader mode in wugfresh but you can in the other

Wow, I was hoping someone would find a solution to this unstoppable boot loop. Awesome work 1eyedmonster!

I gave this a try since I like many others flashed XenonHD with CWM as my recovery and fell into the boot loop too, but how were you able to get step 6? I been trying to get the tablet into the bootloader when the message appears in wugfresh while pressing volume down, but then fails to reboot into it and the status will then show checking fastboot and fails. So I try it again but still having trouble and it just keeps going from the google logo then to CWM and then back to the google logo. Checked the drivers and it shows as ADB in the device manager when CWM pops up so drivers seem good.

Since my build was 4.4.2 I tried custom rom KK and standard 4.4.2 when selecting the build, but not sure what I might be doing wrong.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Wow, I was hoping someone would find a solution to this unstoppable boot loop. Awesome work 1eyedmonster!

I gave this a try since I like many others flashed XenonHD with CWM as my recovery and fell into the boot loop too, but how were you able to get step 6? I been trying to get the tablet into the bootloader when the message appears in wugfresh while pressing volume down, but then fails to reboot into it and the status will then show checking fastboot and fails. So I try it again but still having trouble and it just keeps going from the google logo then to CWM and then back to the google logo. Checked the drivers and it shows as ADB in the device manager when CWM pops up so drivers seem good.

Since my build was 4.4.2 I tried custom rom KK and standard 4.4.2 when selecting the build, but not sure what I might be doing wrong.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

firstly if your in the bootloop due to xennon then you need to take the back off the nexus7 and unplug the battery. once its been off for 10 seconds plug the battery back in (not the usb) below is a screenshot of the wugsfresh toolkit make sure you highlight the same boxes as me

if you installed xennon then you need to install 4.4.2 KOT49H.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
firstly if your in the bootloop due to xennon then you need to take the back off the nexus7 and unplug the battery. once its been off for 10 seconds plug the battery back in (not the usb) below is a screenshot of the wugsfresh toolkit make sure you highlight the same boxes as me

once you clicked the 'Boot tempory custom recovery' button plug your n7 via the usb and press the volume down button erratically (do not hold down) before powering the n7 on

once you clicked the 'Boot tempory custom recovery' button plug your n7 via the usb and press the volume down button erratically (do not hold down) before powering the n7 on

once bootloader boots up you must unplug the usb immediately

SHABBYLEA

May 15, 2014
Congleton, Cheshire.

Same prob as xdarkstar...

I know this might sound a bit stupid, but what is the best way to get the back off? [I'm asking this because all I'm doing at the moment is chewing in to the sides of the device with no results...]

TIA,

Shabby.

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Same prob as xdarkstar...

I know this might sound a bit stupid, but what is the best way to get the back off? [I'm asking this because all I'm doing at the moment is chewing in to the sides of the device with no results...]

TIA,

Shabby.

Hi, Shabby...

I've found the easiest way of removing the back, is to begin at the top (opposite end to the USB port)... slide a fingernail under the plastic back and gently prise it away. Then slowly work your way around both left and right edges with your fingernails. You shouldn't need to use any real force; once you've got the process started, the back should pretty much just 'pop' off.

To put it back on... reverse the process... begin at the bottom (USB end)... and apply gentle pressure, equally on both right and left hand sides... slowly working your way up to the top. You should 'feel' it begin to snap back into place.

-----------------------------------------------

Incidentally, I really hope this method discovered by @1eyedmonster works for you... and anybody else afflicted by the decidedly toxic combination of Xenon and CWM.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Last edited:
Hi, Shabby...

I've found the easiest way of removing the back, is to begin at the top (opposite end to the USB port)... slide a fingernail under the plastic back and gently prise it away. Then slowly work your way around both left and right edges with your fingernails. You shouldn't need to use any real force; once you've got the process started, the back should pretty much just 'pop' off.

To put it back on... reverse the process... begin at the bottom (USB end)... and apply gentle pressure, equally on both right and left hand sides... slowly working your way up to the top. You should 'feel' it begin to snap back into place.

-----------------------------------------------

Incidentally, I really hope this method discovered by @1eyedmonster works for you... and anybody else afflicted by the decidedly toxic combination of Xenon and CWM.

Rgrds,
Ged.

For future reference don't attempt to install xennon with philz recovery either as this causes the bootloop also

timmytim

Jan 6, 2011
Phoenix
Found a fix to restore to stock!

This isn't working for me. Maybe Im doing something wrong but I cant get it to work.

Warning! This method will restore your tablet to factory defaults. I did not try to flash a custom recovery while in Fastboot Mode though Im sure that will work too if you just want to write a Recovery (TWRP... hint hint) and reflash a different ROM.

I'm convinced. This tablet must truly be unbrickable!!

I have found another fix and it was as easy as pie! Here's what I did... results may vary. Please post here if you had success or not. Also, you will need working adb for this to work as well as the ADB drivers installed and working.

For starters, this is the Epic Fail after flashing a ROM with CWM or Philz Recovery

3QIpYIll.jpg

What I found is that while on this screen you can still run adb commands. Eureka I thought! Here's the simplest way to recover your tablet from this vicious cycle. Again, you will need either need the Android SDK installed on your PC or you will need the adb executable with libs at minimum....

1. Download the Nakasi Nexus Factory Image of your choice from HERE

2. Plug your tablet into your computer while it's bootlooping. You will have to have the ADB drivers installed for this to work.

3. Open a command prompt on your PC and type in adb reboot bootloader and press Enter on your keyboard.

4. If you happened to catch it at the right moment, which is between the Google splash screen and the f*cked Recovery screen seen above, congrats! If not, keep pressing the Up Arrow and Enter keys simultaneously on your keyboard starting at the Google splash screen until it reboots into Fastboot mode :cool:

5. Extract the Nakasi factory image that you downloaded and run flash-all.bat and wait for the script to finish. It will reboot your tablet into Fastboot Mode a few times while it executes. When done, it will boot the tablet and it will be factory restored

Win!

yUioYo8l.jpg

Last edited:

SHABBYLEA

May 15, 2014
Congleton, Cheshire.
Warning! This method will restore your tablet to factory defaults. I did not try to flash a custom recovery while in Fastboot Mode though Im sure that will work too if you just want to write a Recovery (TWRP... hint hint) and reflash a different ROM.

I have found another fix and it was as easy as pie! Here's what I did... results may vary. Please post here if you had success or not. Also, you will need working adb for this to work as well as the ADB drivers installed and working.

For starters, this is the Epic Fail after flashing a ROM with CWM or Philz Recovery

3QIpYIll.jpg

What I found is that while on this screen you can still run adb commands. Eureka I thought! Here's the simplest way to recover your tablet from this vicious cycle. Again, you will need either need the Android SDK installed on your PC or you will need the adb executable with libs at minimum....

2. Plug your tablet into your computer while it's bootlooping. You will have to have the ADB drivers installed for this to work.

3. Open a command prompt on your PC and type in adb reboot bootloader and press Enter on your keyboard.

4. If you happened to catch it at the right moment, which is between the Google splash screen and the f*cked Recovery screen seen above, congrats! If not, keep pressing the Up Arrow and Enter keys simultaneously on your keyboard starting at the Google splash screen until it reboots into Fastboot mode :cool:

5. Extract the Nakasi factory image that you downloaded and run flash-all.bat and wait for the script to finish. It will reboot your tablet into Fastboot Mode a few times while it executes. When done, it will boot the tablet and it will be factory restored

Win!

yUioYo8l.jpg

Using this method, do you have to disconnect the battery?

Thanks,

Shabby.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Found a fix to restore to stock!

This isn't working for me. Maybe Im doing something wrong but I cant get it to work.

3QIpYIll.jpg

Win!

yUioYo8l.jpg
    I will post the solution tonight with step by step and images but out atm but I will post

3eraje8a.jpg
    a9a6y2ej.jpg

a7ubemaq.jpg

Hope this helps
    Recover Bootloop

That's fantastic! I'm glad it worked .
    @1eyedmonster... I'm sorry if I stole your thunder by posting this fix in your thread. Your method actually gave me the idea to try the adb thing. Many kudos to you!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

My thanks to you both for finding out a way to stop this recovery boot loop from hell.

Also thanks for taking the time to help me out over the weekend @1eyedmonster. I tried non stop but my Nexus was still being stubborn to get into the bootloader, but your method is what got this thread a way to fix this. Hats off to you! :good:

Tried the method timmytim mentioned and finally the bootloader showed up. Appreciate sharing your fix timmytim. If it weren't for the both of you, I'd be totally screwed and stuck with buying another logic board. :good:
    Secret Animal, could you post your batch file commands?

Many thanks,

Shabby.

The commands were simple. In a text file from Notepad. Type the following or copy and paste:

:loop
    adb reboot bootloader
    goto loop

Save the file as something like reboot.bat
    Make sure it is in the adb directory and let it go. Quite simple.