Search This thread

TrayLunch

R.I.P.
Apr 29, 2012
Houston
By the way i'm not trying to be a jerk. I am just expressing my opinion. I do not believe that there is a S2 team anymore. The idea of that would be unprofitable.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
Your assumption is partially valid. There more than likely isn't AN S2 team anymore. That is likely because Sprint is content with the changes made to FF18 by Samsung on Sprint's behalf. I wouldn't expect any changes or fixes prior to OTA. My guess is that any bugs that are found will be fixed via an OTA patch similar to EL29 and everyone will be as happy with ICS as they are with GB. I will be completely blown away if they skip the patch and work towards a JB upgrade instead, but considering ICS is a transitional OS, it is possible, though unlikely.

I know the source I had was pulled from the S2 shortly before the builds with Sprint's requested tweaks. This leads me to believe that Samsung and Sprint deemed the build complete save a few requested adjustments that didn't require Samsung's testing.

Basically what I'm saying here, is that you can't make an accurate prediction on when Sprint/Samsung will release this because they are withholding it. They want to optimize sales of the S3 before releasing the OTA. Is the S3 even in stores?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TrayLunch

R.I.P.
Apr 29, 2012
Houston
Just forget an official OTA anytime soon. They are to busy fixing bugs and messing with the new S3 to care about this phone.Ths will be one of those deals where you might see the official update around Halloween. You can forget an official Jellybean.

We will also be getting 4.0.4 and not 4.0.3 like all other devices on all other carriers. What's the .0.0.1 difference? So far, about 3 weeks and counting, LOL!

Wizard Knight

Apr 24, 2010
Long Island, New York
I had read somewhere that Google was requiring manufacturers to support a device with current o/s updates for 18 months after they were brought to market.
I will try to link to the source.

EDIT: http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/10/google-clarifies-18-month-android-upgrade-program-details-far-f/

Jelly Bean is well within the 18 month plan...

Galaxy S2 came out in May of 2011. If Samsung holds to that agreement, required support ends in November. I doubt any current device besides the nexus will have JB by then

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
Galaxy S2 came out in May of 2011. If Samsung holds to that agreement, required support ends in November. I doubt any current device besides the nexus will have JB by then

Sprints version came out september.. Not in may

TrayLunch

R.I.P.
Apr 29, 2012
Houston
Sprints version came out september.. Not in may

Doesn't matter as far as the upgrade promise is concerned. It's a galaxy s 2. The gs2 came out in May

Carriers aren't part of the upgrade promise, only manufacturers

That's why I love xda :D

Don't we need carriers to push it? Kinda useless otherwise.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app
The point Wizard Knight was getting at was that the release date of a carriers specific variant isn't applicable to Google's 18 month term upgrade service agreement. It pertains to the release of that device line in general. So the first GS2 released started the countdown. I believe ours was the last released, so we'll get the shortest lifespan of the deal. Same with GS3. International variant started the countdown. Any variant after already has their clock ticking. I hope that helps clarify some things.

Dr. Fed

Apr 23, 2010
Boston Area
Yea lol.. Looks lime well have the god particle before ics.. Lol.. I bet they are holding it off just long enough for the window to b over to not give us jb

You mean the Higgs boson?
Imagine getting JB on our phone. If 4.1 can make the TI OMAP faster than the S3, imagine what ours will do.

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
You mean the Higgs boson?
Imagine getting JB on our phone. If 4.1 can make the TI OMAP faster than the S3, imagine what ours will do.

Lol yea the higgs boson.. And i kno what u were talking about wizard.. Was just thinking totally different.. Just got off work after dealing with cellular postpaid, prepaid and walmart prepaid customers lol. I was thinking this is the sprint variant release date.. I understand that google has the os that samsung uses so it has nothing to do with sprint. Sprint needs to get on the ball.. Isnt sprint one of the first customers to get the sgs3? Maybe there learning :).

Wizard Knight

Apr 24, 2010
Long Island, New York
Lol yea the higgs boson.. And i kno what u were talking about wizard.. Was just thinking totally different.. Just got off work after dealing with cellular postpaid, prepaid and walmart prepaid customers lol. I was thinking this is the sprint variant release date.. I understand that google has the os that samsung uses so it has nothing to do with sprint. Sprint needs to get on the ball.. Isnt sprint one of the first customers to get the sgs3? Maybe there learning :).

Sprint and manufacturers have been moving in a better direction in my opinion. And with Google releasing the pdk, I suspect updates after jb will be faster across the board. But you know what they say, "the night is darkest right before the dawn". I think we'll have to put up with crap for about another year or so.

Reactions: MeWarning

Esoteric68

Jun 9, 2011
Hellabama
Even if they go by actual phone model release date of May 2011, then our phones are still supported until November of this year which is plenty of time for both ICS and JB OTAs. (In my dreams at least lol)

so1285

Jun 3, 2012
I can't help but visit this thread every single day.
Hoping for a new rdf or at least some ota news.

:highfive:

Same here. I joined specifically because I joined the android herd only this year (late adopter...thanks to the stupid 2 year contracts with AT&T and acute disdain for the service to even consider upgrading). I've been pretty much refreshing this thread for the off chance that someone will somehow know something about the update. Impatience is getting painful (or that's just my stomach complaining).

FWIW, I had a little chat with a Sprint representative who was MOST helpful :rolleyes: while discussing something else about my account. According to the representative, we can expect any information regarding upgrades on sprint.com/newsroom! Apparently that's what they're given as their scripted answer now. Anyone get a different answer?

TrayLunch

R.I.P.
Apr 29, 2012
Houston
:highfive:

Same here. I joined specifically because I joined the android herd only this year (late adopter...thanks to the stupid 2 year contracts with AT&T and acute disdain for the service to even consider upgrading). I've been pretty much refreshing this thread for the off chance that someone will somehow know something about the update. Impatience is getting painful (or that's just my stomach complaining).

FWIW, I had a little chat with a Sprint representative who was MOST helpful :rolleyes: while discussing something else about my account. According to the representative, we can expect any information regarding upgrades on sprint.com/newsroom! Apparently that's what they're given as their scripted answer now. Anyone get a different answer?
I was told July 12 by Sprint tech support, but that was probably just to get me off of the phone. Wish I had something more concrete.

Top Liked Posts