Has anybody come up with simpler rooting methods for the Ouya?

Search This thread

NssOne

Aug 28, 2010
The main reason I ask this is because after every firmware update the root/su access disappears. I just wonder if there's some way to make it easier to quickly root again after these updates. I'm not saying having to go into adb to root is a major pain, it just gets tedious to have to do it after every simple update the Ouya gets. I was hoping an internal method of rooting would have been discovered or developed by now.

MasterZen88

The main reason I ask this is because after every firmware update the root/su access disappears. I just wonder if there's some way to make it easier to quickly root again after these updates. I'm not saying having to go into adb to root is a major pain, it just gets tedious to have to do it after every simple update the Ouya gets. I was hoping an internal method of rooting would have been discovered or developed by now.

Probably the easy thing to do is wait for custom rom's to be developed. Currently the one I'm working on has OTA updates redirected to a server in my control, what this would do is stop OTA updates from OUYA and allow us to keep root as long as the ROM supports it.

gianptune

Oct 10, 2010

No, it wont. OTA rootkeepers work by either setting the immutable bit for the su file so not even root is allowed to modify/delete it from the filesystem, or they leave another suid binary on the filesystem so if su gets borked, their backup one is still there. All the Ouya updates format the /system partition. Neither a file with the immutable bit set or a backup suid binary would survive if they were on the /system partition.

Veritas06

Could always write a quick batch file or script that would automatically do the steps. Probably someone that knows more than I do that would have a better way of doing it, but that was my thought after seeing the update come down today.

If i put something together & anyone is interested i'll post it just so it will be a quick file to run after each update (I have my OUYA right next to my computer so it's always connected via USB).

Reactions: NssOne and RED ZMAN

TadeoNYC

May 9, 2013
New York
Same here. I've already done a little script for wired and wireless sideloading, now im trying to add rooting into it.
Although by the time i figure out how to implement the adb shell su commands into a batch script, theyll be releasing OUYA2.:confused:
Keep trying! I know it's silly, but it is so annoying too have to keep doing this.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm working on an all-in-one su/recovery/wifi adb/backup program right now.
    Hold tight. :)
    Could always write a quick batch file or script that would automatically do the steps. Probably someone that knows more than I do that would have a better way of doing it, but that was my thought after seeing the update come down today.

If i put something together & anyone is interested i'll post it just so it will be a quick file to run after each update (I have my OUYA right next to my computer so it's always connected via USB).