[Q] Battery Life

Search This thread

streetenigma23

Mar 9, 2013
I'm sure another battery life thread exist but the search function is not working for some odd reason.

Anyhow, I recently bought this device(32 GB) model on Ebay and it is a refurbished edition. I updated it to the latest 4.4.2 and the device is amazing. However, one issue that disappoints me is the battery life. It lasts around 5-6 hours if I'm constantly browsing the web and watching videos. To charge it, it takes a good 7 hours. I looked at the battery and noticed that Android OS was responsible for 56% of the battery drainage. I notice the back of tablet(near the camera) getting very hot when I was playing some games as well.

I'm really trying to push this things to the limits to check to see if it's faulty so I can return it before the 14 days is up. My questions are, what is the typical battery life you users experience and how long does it usually take you users to charge it? Also, my Android OS has never taken up that much battery---is this normal? If not, how can I fix it?

Thanks!

sam2c

Feb 8, 2012
Streaming videos kills battery in general but that's still high battery usage for Android OS. I suggest you invest BetterBatteryStats from the play store and see if something else is causing your battery drain. Post some screen shots when you get the app. I

My Android OS battery utilization is sitting at 7% at the moment. I don't stream much data, and but I think high Android OS battery utilization has more to do with background data than video or music streaming anyway

Few things to improve battery life in general is to disable location reporting and location history in GPS menu. Better yet, but disable GPS in general. Turn off the setting in the advanced wifi menu that let's apps scan wifi even if it's off for location data. Google+ and hangouts are big drainers... Disable or unistall them is you can or at least don't let them sync data. Go to Google account setting and disable syncing of anything you don't needs.

Edit: I just stream 1.5hrs (1.3gb data) of Netflix and my Android OS battery usage didn't go up. It's gotta be a rogue process taking CPU cycles/checking location/sending lots of data. Install BBS and see what's causing it. More than 7hrs of screen time for me today and I still have 25% battery left.

Attachments

• Screenshots_2014-05-31-00-58-27.jpg
    Screenshots_2014-05-31-00-58-27.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshots_2014-05-31-00-58-40.jpg
    Screenshots_2014-05-31-00-58-40.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshots_2014-05-31-00-59-03.jpg
    Screenshots_2014-05-31-00-59-03.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Reactions: streetenigma23

streetenigma23

Mar 9, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions. I will go ahead and d/l that app and see how it goes. I'll put up some screenshots and try to see if we can get to the bottom of it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Streaming videos kills battery in general but that's still high battery usage for Android OS. I suggest you invest BetterBatteryStats from the play store and see if something else is causing your battery drain. Post some screen shots when you get the app. I

My Android OS battery utilization is sitting at 7% at the moment. I don't stream much data, and but I think high Android OS battery utilization has more to do with background data than video or music streaming anyway

Few things to improve battery life in general is to disable location reporting and location history in GPS menu. Better yet, but disable GPS in general. Turn off the setting in the advanced wifi menu that let's apps scan wifi even if it's off for location data. Google+ and hangouts are big drainers... Disable or unistall them is you can or at least don't let them sync data. Go to Google account setting and disable syncing of anything you don't needs.

Edit: I just stream 1.5hrs (1.3gb data) of Netflix and my Android OS battery usage didn't go up. It's gotta be a rogue process taking CPU cycles/checking location/sending lots of data. Install BBS and see what's causing it. More than 7hrs of screen time for me today and I still have 25% battery left.
    @streetenigma23 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2742745

Usage = 10hrs
    Charge Time = 4-5hrs.

Sent from Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition via Tapatalk.