Nexus 10 (Manta) Help Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Search This thread

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Hey this is just a bump of the thread.

We are trying something new to see if sticked threads get more or less action then a non-stickied.

As always if you are stuck or have a question feel free to ask it here, a thank you to all those watching this thread and willing to help out!
Happy flashing!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Krillen

calbruc

Mar 23, 2011
Maybe a dumb question but it's been frustrating me for a while now:

Is there a way to force the YouTube app to play HD? I know on the phone app there is that option to force hq on mobile, but it's not there on the tablet version and I feel like I'm constantly having to toggle the HD switch. Well, at least anytime I reboot or the app closes.

I don't why it doesn't just default to HD, the device is gonna be on wifi 100% of the time anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Free mobile app

drewberrr

Jul 17, 2014
Upgrading to 4.4 Questions

I bought my 10 on Swappa about a year ago. I know it is rooted and has a custom package/kernel, but I don't know what it is. This is my first Android, so I'm not all that familiar with the technology and terminolgy, but learning.

So, about 8 months ago I got a notification for a System Update Download, apparently from Google. It is the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean System Update. However, if I go into the About Tablet in Settings, it shows I already have v4.3.

Kernel version: 3.4.39-g7d757d
morfic@othris #666

Build number
JWR66V

I have not gotten any notices to update to Kitkat, presumably because it thinks I don't have 4.3 installed yet.

So I want to upgrade to the most current version, keep my root and package, but not sure what to do next? Download KitKat and go with that or do I need to do the 4.3 download I have received?

What do I need to do to keep the current root and system?

I will update this post with logcat as soon as I get home. No Wifi here to load onto the Nexus 10.

Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Im wanting to learn more about the Tablet....I love it!

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
If you want the latest stock and rooted check out post three in this thread. Pretty much boot to recovery and make a backup of current ROM and for good measure save it to computer.
Backup any apps and data if you want with something like titanium backup or use adb backup (also nice to store on PC)
Then you can download latest factory image (there is a link in post three that brings you to images for all nexus devices)
Then what I would do is
Boot to fastboot and wipe everything
Flash all stock with fastboot
flash an updated custom recovery (latest twrp) with fastboot
Boot to new recovery
Hit reboot from there and will offer to root your device (accept this)
Now set up tablet
Restore what you wish from backup

hc_grove

Aug 10, 2013
Copenhagen
Complete stock ROM as flashable zip?

When I got my Nexus 10, I quickly installed CWM and rooted it. Then I used the root privileges to remove a lot of google's standard crap apps that I don't need (e.g. gmail). That means that OTA updates fail (CWM says something about some file/directory missing). - At least that's my best guess as those removals were pretty much the only thing I had done before the first OTA became available.

So I guess I need a complete ROM, isn't it possible to find a stock ROM anywhere? (It would be fine if it was rooted, had busybox and the Xposed framework, but apart from that I prefer stock.)

For my Nexus 5 (and the Galaxy Nexus I had before that), it has been simple to find ones on this forum, but I can't find one for the Nexus 10?

Do I have to go through the long procedure referenced a couple of times in the thread to go completely stock? If so could I at least skip flashing the stock recovery, as I'd like to keep CWM?

.Henrik

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Yeah just a quick digging through the forum didn't yield me a pure stock flashable of 4.4.4 but I found this
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2529492
Rooted stock with just transparent navbar, both odexed and deodexed version available in flashable zips.
Otherwise slimkat is also very much stock with very few additions but mostly just removals - actually I don't like to recommend ROMs but it is the one I use most often on all my devices.
But to answer your other question, you do not need to flash the stock recovery. I only update my n10 once a month or every other as its mostly the wife's.
Check for updated twrp, if there is I flash it with fastboot
Then make a nandroid and save to PC, along with an adb backup
I download the fully factory firmware, check to see if bootloader has been updated, if there is I do a full wipe of device and flash the bootloader (the. The recovery after) if not all I do is a simple wipe in recovery and then flash the latest slim ROM
But if you want stock just all you do is flash the system.img and then root it and you should be good.
-sorry if this is a bit rambling, haven't had much sleep lately-

Reactions: hc_grove

stefan.struhs

Aug 12, 2014
bootloop until restore to factory defaults after unlock

With my Nexus 10 stock KitKat 4.4.4 following the instructions and successfully unlocked the devices a permanent bootloop appears (4 color cicle animation forever and device is being reported as "ID 18d1:4ee1 Google Inc. Nexus 4 / 10" with Linux).
There is no way I found to access the device with adb anymore. From bootloader you can install TWRP with fastboot, but that's it. Only restoring to factory default let me access the device on normal user level (with UI).
Any ideas or similar experience?

p.s.: Even trying to reflash with adb sideload the latest stock OS fails with some error messages about problems to mount cache.

Last edited:

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
With my Nexus 10 stock KitKat 4.4.4 following the instructions and successfully unlocked the devices a permanent bootloop appears (4 color cicle animation forever and device is being reported as "ID 18d1:4ee1 Google Inc. Nexus 4 / 10" with Linux).
There is no way I found to access the device with adb anymore. From bootloader you can install TWRP with fastboot, but that's it. Only restoring to factory default let me access the device on normal user level (with UI).
Any ideas or similar experience?

p.s.: Even trying to reflash with adb sideload the latest stock OS fails with some error messages about problems to mount cache.

Hi,
First download the latest image from android source (link in the second or third post)
Boot to bootloader and run this
fastboot erase system -w
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase recovery
Now run this from the location of the unzipped image files from android sources
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
Now from the latest twrp image
fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
Now scroll to recovery, should boot to twrp, once in twrp choose reboot system, should get a message about no root and ask if you want su flashed, choose yes
Upon reboot you will have rooted stock ROM!
Let me know if you get stuck!

stefan.struhs

Aug 12, 2014
Hi,
First download the latest image from android source (link in the second or third post)
Boot to bootloader and run this
fastboot erase system -w
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase recovery
Now run this from the location of the unzipped image files from android sources
Now from the latest twrp image
fastboot reboot-bootloader
Now scroll to recovery, should boot to twrp, once in twrp choose reboot system, should get a message about no root and ask if you want su flashed, choose yes
Upon reboot you will have rooted stock ROM!
Let me know if you get stuck!

Hi,
got it working by
- first downloading SU-archive to internal memory and
- then unlock,
- boot TWRP,
- install SU from archive on internal memory via TWRP and
- then normal boot succeeded.
The problem was/is that once I unlocked the device there was no chance to install SU and it seems to boot the unlocked device (even locking the device again didn't help) does not work without SU being installed for whatever reason on my target. :confused:
Thanks & regards,
Stefan

unitnerd

Feb 4, 2012
Can anybody help me: I have issues writing to the internal storage. I have explained the problem in the 3rd page of this post.
I was wondering if anybody knows how to repartition our nexus 10(i believe i have symlink problems and restoring stock does not reset symlinks i believe)
Please help me I bought my nexus 10 from another country and nobody is repairing it here :(

Thank youu

kalsta

Apr 20, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S10 5G
Omnirom Kernel F2FS-all 4.4+?

Hi there,

First post, anyone know where I can find one, having dreadful freeze issues with KTManta kernel, apparently Omnirom is better, but the only one I can find is data & cache?

Cheers,

Kal

XxLordxX

Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Can anybody help me: I have issues writing to the internal storage. I have explained the problem in the 3rd page of this post.
I was wondering if anybody knows how to repartition our nexus 10(i believe i have symlink problems and restoring stock does not reset symlinks i believe)
Please help me I bought my nexus 10 from another country and nobody is repairing it here :(

Thank youu

Hi,

Sorry, but until now no one tried repartitioning as it takes too many risks. I believe you can ask to guys from Xoom forum how they did and try checking if it's possible on Nexus, just don't do the exact same procedure, you'll need to get the idea only. They did it recently.

Also, keep in mind that some guys faced dead eMMC problem, which stopped writing, but was able to read, if that's the same issue as your, I'm sorry but the only fix is changing it.

Hi there,

First post, anyone know where I can find one, having dreadful freeze issues with KTManta kernel, apparently Omnirom is better, but the only one I can find is data & cache?

Cheers,

Kal

Hi,

Sorry but I didn't understand your problem. Can you explain better what you want to do ;).

~Lord

"Dream On! Dream Until Your Dreams Come True!" - Dream On (Aerosmith)

Sent from my GT-I9505

Slx011

Jan 6, 2014
need help

Hello guys, am new here and i hope someone could help me.
I wanted to root my nexus 10 so i could change android to 4.4.2. in order to watch 1080p on youtube.
Unfortunately I didn't set enable USB Debugging and I just go into fastboot and I unlocked bootloader.
After that when i tried to root I got a bootloop and now i can only turn on bootloaer.
I tried recovery mode but I got a message "Downloading... do not turn off target !!
I also installed Nexus Root Tookit on my pc, and connected nexus to pc and I tried but i get message
"ADB device was not found In order for this to work: USB debugging needs to be enabled on your device."
The problem is I can't do it from here.
So what i need now is factory reset or any idea how to make it work.

Thanks in advance :)

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Hi,
Skip the root kit, will cause you more problems than worth
From bootloader flash a custom recovery
Then boot to new recovery and adb sideload your ROM of choice

Reactions: Slx011

Slx011

Jan 6, 2014
Hi,
Skip the root kit, will cause you more problems than worth
From bootloader flash a custom recovery
Then boot to new recovery and adb sideload your ROM of choice

Thanks for quick response
Do i need to root device before flashing custom recovery couse i only have few option in the boot loader:
"Start" , "Restart Bootloader", "Recovery mode" (which is not working) and "Power off"
Thats all my options.

Anyway if i press volume up and power button I get a message Downloading.., do not turn off target!!

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
No need to root, the reason for download mode is I'm assuming recovery was accidentally erased.
So just flash recovery then sideload ROM
Reboot
Done

Reactions: Slx011

Slx011

Jan 6, 2014

No need to root, the reason for download mode is I'm assuming recovery was accidentally erased.
So just flash recovery then sideload ROM
Reboot
Done
Am not sure how to flash recovery from here as i don't have any option for that in bootloader. :(
Is it possible to flash recovery from pc?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung/Google Nexus 10 Help Thread!
    mantaray

Welcome to the Nexus 10 help thread! You can ask all questions here without the need of background knowledge. This thread is dedicated to solve users problems, so if you don't want to start a new thread for your question, ask it here. Members ready to help will be monitoring this thread and provide answers as soon as possible. For a list of supporters, see here:

Current List of Supporters
    @demkantor - All Things Nexus - adb & fastboot expert!
    @lj50036 - GitHub Expert and All Around Android Guy!
    @rirozizo - Battery Guru and Android Know It All!
    @XxLordxX - The Unbricker!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just send me a PM!

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @ like above. Also, if you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible for posting there, you may post here. And Please Read The 2nd & 3rd Post Of This Thread Before Posting! Thank you!

ROM developers: Please read this. Consider if you want to have a ROM specific help thread or not, if not, most likely questions about your ROM will be asked here if the users aren't eligible for posting in development section.

To all of you: Remember the Rules and the Forum Etiquette
    Hi, demkantor. Thanks for helping me, man! :good:

No, I tried to flash a JB 4.3 kernel from here: hxxp://goo.gl/aI4ULX

I tried all the three 4.3 kernel versions (TX3-4.3-ANY, TX11-4.3-ANY and TX17-4.3-2000-ANY) posted at the Trinity kernell webpage, all with the same result (Status 7 error).

Hi,

I'm not sure about what is causing this problem, but there's this friendly thread about the Status 7 error, you may be interested in it ;)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2302599

~Lord

"Time is too short to cry, long enough to try." - March of Time (Helloween)
    Sent from my KitKat Nexus 10
    Quick Tips!

Okay, so if you look through the Q&A thread here the number one issue that keeps popping up is "Help Bootloop!" and "Help I Think it's Bricked!"

So here is a quick guide that will most often fix these issue (90% of the time anyway)

First things first.... Drivers
    Now many of you have these installed, so if you can connect your device to PC through USB and are able to communicate with adb and fastboot just skip this.

If however you can not, then you need to download appropriate drivers for Windows.
    You can get these through the Adroid SDK if you already have this
    Or direct from the OEM following the link HERE
    Or some say having the Naked Drivers works best, so try HERE or HERE or HERE
    If you need help installing these then see the next chunk on adb/fastboot or feel free to ask here as well!
    *Linux users just need the android rules set up, see fastboot link for how to...

So after drivers are up... Fastboot!
    Well here is many's big fear, but fear not as the terminal is not that scary!
    For an in depth explanation on how to use fastboot, I highly suggest reading through THIS
    It will have all you need to know and if there are any further question please feel free to ask here or in the fastboot thread.

If you have any issues running fastboot (or adb) commands, please copy and paste all input/output from terminal/cmd here so one of your helpers can assist better.

You can connect to PC and you know the commands.. but what to flash?
    For the most part we want to use the stock firmware found here (some OTAs HERE for another use)
    Download the latest for mantaray (currently 4.4.2-(KOT49H)

Now check MD5sum or sha1 for a match (Linux use terminal, windows use THIS)
    If all is good lets extract the contents (I prefer 7zip but whatever)

So if all of your prep work is a success then when you type
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    Into a terminal/CMD you will see your serial number
    If not be sure you are in bootloader mode (power on while holding volume +)
    Also have a high quality USB cable if not the one that came with your device
    *Still have issue, ask in this thread!

If you have a locked bootloader it may be wise to
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    Then follow the below info, if you don't want to unlock your tablet just run the flash-all.bat to get similar results

And now you have a bunch of images, lets erase and flash so we will be oh so clean!
    *have everything backed up first! this will erase your tablet!
    Code:
    fastboot erase system -w
    fastboot erase boot
    fastboot erase recovery
    now after we cleaned things up, lets flash back to stock!
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader nameofbootloader.img
    fastboot flash cache cache.img
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    (Everything should be named accordingly except for bootloader, so change this command)

Congrats! You can reboot to a functioning tablet!
    Some quick notes:
    If you want a custom recovery, fell free to instead flash latest TWRP or CWM or whatever.
    You do not need to use stock recovery for the above to work, but you will need your custom recovery in a .img

Similarly if you want a custom ROM instead of stock you can do this, but only if your dev supplies you with the system.img, if not just boot to recovery, make a nandroid, wipe all, flash custom ROM and gapps through adb sideload.

If you still have a bootloop or a "brick" then ask us here and someone will be glad to give you personal assistance.
    Or for real time help you can see if anyone is at ##Manta_Help_IRC on freenode

Anything I missed feel free to ask in this thread!

Happy Flashing!
    Quick Linux/Unix Rooting Guide

First of all, you need to have Fastboot and ADB. To do as such open your command line and type:

Code:
    wget http://www.undergroundandroid.com/developers/xLordAIOx/bin/fastboot
    wget http://www.undergroundandroid.com/developers/xLordAIOx/bin/adb
    Now that you have both files, you need to setup them to be able to use. As you're an Unix user you'll probably get what I'll do here, you can do it slightly different, but this way was the easiest IMO, also it makes the procedure for next times using adb and fastboot easier. Type the following:

Code:
    sudo mv fastboot /usr/bin/fastboot
    sudo mv adb /usr/bin/adb
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/fastboot
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/adb
    Now that you have adb and fastboot set up it's time to start the real thing. First of all, make sure to backup your device, as everything will be lost in this procedure! First you need to unlock your device bootloader (if it is already unlocked, skip this part). Please, go to settings, "About Device" and click multiple times "Build Number", a new tab will appear in settings, called "Developer Options", go there and enable USB Debugging. Now plug your Nexus 10 on your PC and type this to check if your device was recognized:

Code:
    adb devices
    If something came up it was successfully recognized and you can follow up :victory:, but it nothing appeared you may need to check this:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/258-udev-rules-for-any-device-no-more-starting-adb-with-sudo/

When you get your device recognized do the following:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Wait for the device to reboot, when it turns on again, you'll type the following:

Code:
    sudo fastboot oem unlock
    Now follow the instructions on your tablet screen. As soon as your bootloader is unlocked the device will reboot, so you'll now download the recovery and the Superuser.

Copy SuperSU to your device internal memory (that's probably empty now) and rename the .img file of TWRP to recovery.img. Now enable USB debugging again (it's explained above lol) and replug the tablet on your PC. Time for typing again! (Please, open the terminal in the folder where the recovery.img is located).

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Wait for it to reboot, and then type:

Code:
    sudo fastboot boot recovery.img
    (If you want to install the recovery permanently in the device, type 'sudo fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' before issuing the command above).

Now you probably see a screen like this:
    eIDZ.png

Click in Install and select the SuperSU zip that you copied to your tablet internal memory earlier. When the flash is complete, reboot the tablet and congratulations! You're rooted :victory:.

Hope this helps anyone who may need it!
    Quick Linux/Unix Restoring to Stock Guide
    So you've decided that you don't want root anymore or you did something and want to restore to stock? That's not a hard thing to do! Just follow these steps and you'll be fine.

First you need to have adb and Fastboot ready. To do as such open your command line and type:

Code:
    wget http://www.undergroundandroid.com/developers/xLordAIOx/bin/fastboot
    wget http://www.undergroundandroid.com/developers/xLordAIOx/bin/adb

Now that you have both files, you need to setup them to be able to use. As you're an Unix user you'll probably get what I'll do here, you can do it slightly different, but this way was the easiest IMO, also it makes the procedure for next times using adb and fastboot easier. Type the following:

Code:
    sudo mv fastboot /usr/bin/fastboot
    sudo mv adb /usr/bin/adb
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/fastboot
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/adb

Now that you have adb and fastboot set up it's time to start the real thing. First of all, make sure to backup your device, as everything will be lost in this procedure! First you need to unlock your device bootloader (if it is already unlocked, skip this part). Please, go to settings, "About Device" and click multiple times "Build Number", a new tab will appear in settings, called "Developer Options", go there and enable USB Debugging. Now plug your Nexus 10 on your PC and type this to check if your device was recognized:

Code:
    adb devices

If something came up it was successfully recognized and you can follow up :victory:, but it nothing appeared you may need to check this:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/258-udev-rules-for-any-device-no-more-starting-adb-with-sudo/

When you get your device recognized do the following:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Wait for the device to reboot, when it turns on again, you'll type the following:

Code:
    sudo fastboot oem unlock

Now you'll follow the instructions on screen. When your device is unlocked, you'll have to download the stock firmware you want from one of those links:

Now that you're done with your download, you'll extract the .tgz package the way you prefer. Now, open a command line in the folder where the extracted files are and (with your device plugged on fastboot mode) just type:

Code:
    chmod 755 flash-all.sh
    sudo ./flash-all.sh

The procedure will now begin. It can take some time to finish. When it ends, it's recommended that you lock back your booloader, which is as easy as unlock. Type (tablet plugged in fastboot):

Code:
    sudo fastboot oem lock

Hope this helps!
    ~Lord
    i want in! "all-round-android-guy"

Sent from my Nexus 4