Constantly rebooting (stock, nonrooted, no physical damage)

Search This thread

ender127

Aug 7, 2009
here's the background: galaxy s3, nonrooted, stock firmware, no physical damage that i'm aware of.

my friend's gs3 is constantly rebooting. essentially, it even reboots at boot up at any of the various splash screens during boot up and does not even boot up fully at all before it'll decide to crap out again. i figured that it may possibly be related to some rogue app so i told her to load up in safe mode but even then, the phone would reboot and attempt to restart again to ultimately fail and repeat. it did manage to boot up for a minute or two under safe mode yet it would restart again. i actually spoke to her last night but when she woke up, her phone wouldn't even stay on. after she had hung up, all she did was charge her phone and found it in it's current condition. we've attempted to remove the battery for a minute or so but the problem persists. the only other assumption was that there might have been an ota update that went bad. unfortunately i have a rooted gs4 so i'm not sure if there was an ota update for the gs3 that i wasn't aware of.

does anyone else have an idea on how to fix this or what may be the problem?

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
here's the background: galaxy s3, nonrooted, stock firmware, no physical damage that i'm aware of.

my friend's gs3 is constantly rebooting. essentially, it even reboots at boot up at any of the various splash screens during boot up and does not even boot up fully at all before it'll decide to crap out again. i figured that it may possibly be related to some rogue app so i told her to load up in safe mode but even then, the phone would reboot and attempt to restart again to ultimately fail and repeat. it did manage to boot up for a minute or two under safe mode yet it would restart again. i actually spoke to her last night but when she woke up, her phone wouldn't even stay on. after she had hung up, all she did was charge her phone and found it in it's current condition. we've attempted to remove the battery for a minute or so but the problem persists. the only other assumption was that there might have been an ota update that went bad. unfortunately i have a rooted gs4 so i'm not sure if there was an ota update for the gs3 that i wasn't aware of.

there was an ota update a bit ago, 4.3...um, is it under warranty or does she have insurance, if so, go to the sprint techs and have them look at it, if not, what you can do/try for it is to completely flash the 4.3 ota update again using odin and download mode...you can do this by clicking on the 2nd link in my signature and see what happens, fixed my phone like this after 4.3 and myself messed it up lol and it's the exact same thing the sprint techs would do for it if you brought it in

so there's your options man...good luck, any questions just post up but the guide is very simple and straight fwd to follow and I provided all that is needed in my download bundle from my dropbox account

edit...if you can't boot up to enable the usb debugging mode, it should still work but it's recommended to do but again, shouldn't really matter, as long as it boots into download mode you should be ready to go

Last edited:

uscpsycho

Mar 25, 2011

This isn't an uncommon problem with the S3. I just recently went through this. In my case, and in many other cases, it's a faulty motherboard. Nothing you can do to fix it other than get Sprint to replace the handset.

For me, if I left it completely off for a long time, when I turned it back in it was stable for a couple of hours. Not sure if it was a coincidence, happened a couple of times that way.