[Q] Updating to 4.4.2

Search This thread

ro xl123

Jul 9, 2013
Istanbul
Hello Xda forums,

I have a Galaxy S4 (I9500) currently in 4.2.2 rooted, I want to update it to 4.4.2 Touchwiz (OFW) and i want it to be rooted.

So what should I do?
Should I remove the root first and then update it with Odin? Will I lose my data/apps in result of this. I don't really want to lose my stuff too. (Altough most of the stuff is in External SD, i still have saves and stuff which i would prefer not to loose.

Also my device is currently rooted, what should I do to update it?

Also a last question, does region matter? Do I really need my current region's firmware to be installed? Or just any region would be ok?

Thanks..
I'm a not really a tech noob, I just don't really have enough experiance over this Android stuff.

:)

Details;
I live in Turkey, my device was imported and registered to passport. It does not has stuff like simlock, I can use any sim.
Model Number: GT-I9500
Android Version (Current): 4.2.2
Baseband version: I9500XXUMBG9
Kernel version: 3.4.5-1083225 se.infra@SEP-89 #1 Thu Jul 11 22:52:49 KST 2013
Build Number: JDQ39.I9500XXUMBG9
SELinux status: Permissive
CSC: I9500OJVBMG9

Last edited:

RubbaBand

Mar 24, 2014
Benghazi
You can update your firmware and loosing nothing by using Odin Pro
If you dont know how to use it just search in google or xda
If you use the normal Odin the root will be removed
And no the region doesnt matter

Reactions: ro xl123

ro xl123

Jul 9, 2013
Istanbul

Odin Pro is an Android app right? So the app on my device will update the device. And it won't touch my root, my device will still be rooted after update, right? Just asking to be sure. If so, then this is exactly what i needed.. :)

ro xl123

Jul 9, 2013
Istanbul
Nope, Mobile ODIN is not compatible with I9500 :( Any other ways?

BTW: Root is not my priority, I can re root my device after update, not loosing any data is more important. If backuping apps/software would be out of the options, I would be mostly glad. Is unrooting an option?

Last edited:

RubbaBand

Mar 24, 2014
Benghazi
If you update you will lose everything but the bright side is you can backup contacts, logs, sms, mms, apps, elc by an app called "Easy backup"
After the backingup make sure the files are in SD Card
After flashing install "Easy Backup" then restore your files

---------- Post added at 02:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

And there is a saferoot method that makes your device rooted but not tripping the knox warranty bit
You can do it later after the flashing

ro xl123

Jul 9, 2013
Istanbul
If you update you will lose everything but the bright side is you can backup contacts, logs, sms, mms, apps, elc by an app called "Easy backup"
After the backingup make sure the files are in SD Card
After flashing install "Easy Backup" then restore your files

---------- Post added at 02:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

And there is a saferoot method that makes your device rooted but not tripping the knox warranty bit
You can do it later after the flashing

Ok, so after i backup my stuff, i'm going connect to pc, use odin and simply update my device with firmware tar.md5,
will it be unrooted? If so i can root it back without any problems right?
My biggest worry is if the root would create any problems during the update, or make the update unsuccesful. I can find a way of backuping my saves, i dont really want my device to be bricked or stuff like that :)

RubbaBand

Mar 24, 2014
Benghazi
Dont worry after flashing the firmware nothing will happen to the device
And ya you can reroot your device
Just search for 4.4.2 saferoot

ro xl123

Jul 9, 2013
Istanbul
Updated to KitKat, rooted, i did backup before wiping, everything is cool now. I only got installing CWM and restoring my stuff from my backups left. Thank you for everything!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.