[Warning] Ice Cream Sandwich OS Bricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

StrumerJohn

Jul 5, 2011
Glendale, AZ
plus.google.com
This thread is now irrelevant as Jellybean is available for the device.

The old post can be found below:
As of right now be sure that you all are extemely cautious when trying to flash any type of ICS package (be it firmware, a ROM, or any type of system running it). Our tablet may have an issue with ICS as many other galaxy devices have. A bug currently exists that corrupts the mounting of the data partition on the device which *MAY* lead to a permanent hard bricking of your device.
This is currently a very RARE issue, however, those who are not well educated in Android development and that do not know how to 100% reset their tablet should refrain from flashing any type of ICS ROM or ODIN package.
If you have already flashed an ICS ODIN package or are running CM9 safely and have been for a good amount of time, then my guess is that this issue will not effect you, BUT it may strike you at any given time!

For those of you who insist on upgrading to ICS, *PLEASE* backup your entire ROM and make sure that you have the stock HC ODIN package. Although it probably won't help having them if you are hard bricked.​

A quote from an effected user:
ringnutz said:
I also had the can't mount data problem, I tried for 3 days to get it to work. I ended up sending it back to Samsung after reverting everything to stock. I was on cm9 though and one night it just started bootlooping while i was asleep. I.e. it would fully boot then restart after 5 seconds or so. So I tried reverting to stock and trying again, which is when I got the can't mount data issue. I literally tried every combination of wiping, recovery, Odin/heimdall, and the only thing that would get past the Samsung logo was cm9, which would just stick at the boot animation forever. I got tired of messing with it and thought it could have been a hardware problem, so I sent it back under warranty

Sent from my myTouch 4g via Tapatalk
daviddavid123 said:
i installed cm9 and ics 4 then my tab hard bricked and internal memory damaged
krbabb said:
I dont have posting privleges in the developer forums but i thought i would let you know whats up with my tab.

Rooted it, got cwm on it and flashed cm9. Worked for about a week without issue then started the bootlooping issues. I couldnt even wipe the data in recovery.

Used odin to go back to stock HC according to your instructions. Then i thought it bricked cause it just got stuck on the default screen showing galaxy tab. Tried installing HC a few more times but it never booted.

Tried one more time but now with the stock ics. Still nothing so i gave up.
Only thing is i couldnt power off. I planned to let the battery die. So it just sat on the default gakaxy tab screen and about 30 minutes later it showed the samsung boot animation.

I let it sit for another half hour with samsung pulsing. Nothing. So i reboot into recovery (stock) which i couldnt even get to before now, wipe everything like 5 times then reboot the device.

Booted up and works like a charm. I thought this thing wad gone.

Not sure if the stock ics tar file did the trick but let everyone know that mine came back to life. It possible other devices could be bricked but maybe there is a chance for some people.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using xda app-developers app
If you have flashed ICS and you have bricked your device I am sorry. I know there are a few people out there who have....

To conclude, everybody please be careful about tinkering with your device. I know ICS has great speed enhancements and all, but as of right now your box of ice cream sandwiches may or may not be poisoned.

For the daredevils:
CM9 [View thread]
Guide to flashing ICS [View thread]

EDIT: Our case is not the same as the other galaxies.... Ours effects the data partition while theirs effects their emmc... I'm assuming ours may be a bug with the firmware installation / recovery as it was with theirs however I'm not sure why it is effecting users on CM9....

EDIT 2: We should all be cautious and NOT wipe at all using Samsung's ICS Recovery. I was chatting with aorth and he suggested that that may be the cause of the issue. His recovery (or the one I posted in my guide) are safe to wipe on.

EDIT 3: I guess we also have reports of the emmc being corrupted as well...

Last edited:

giangp1

May 31, 2007
Just don't wipe data/factory reset using recovery ICS (RECOVERY 3e). Use recovery 5.5.0.4 or 6.0.x.x......only you wipe for up new rom, everything will be OK.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: StrumerJohn

maelfilk

Nov 17, 2010
Novosibirsk
Yeah, i experienced this type of total brick. I flashed p6200 ics firmware with mobile odin and than did factory reset in ics recovery mode. I think this was the reason of hard brick. After some time tablet did shut down and didn't turn on. Service fixed the problem, they said that main board died.

ringnutz

That's not the case I afraid...

I really don't think it was a problem with upgrading. I had been on cm9 for over a month, then I woke up one morning and it was bootlooping. I got all the can't mount data errors afterwards, so it's either a hardware problem or cm9 is somehow magically corrupting the /data partition. I hadn't even installed anything recently

EDIT: Samsung just sent me the email that the repair is finished, they replaced the main board, so it definitely was a hardware problem.

Last edited:

kzoodroid

Jun 27, 2010
Kalamazoo
This issue was brought up a couple months ago by aorth, I think its in his CM9 thread or in one of the rooting or CWM threads. I don't think it is an issue that will be going away any time soon as Samsung isn't in any hurry to fix it, that is if they even can or want to.

komoornik

Jan 19, 2008
Using stock ICS for almost 3 weeks now.

I was backing up and restoring all of the partitions via CWM 6.0.1.0 two times.

Nothing weird happening for the moment.

Bad2hold

Apr 5, 2012
Perth
Google Pixel 7a
Well, aorth entioned sth like this before, here his post:

Maybe you guys have heard, but some early ICS ROMs for Galaxy Note and other similar Galaxy S II variants have triggered hard bricks due to faulty MMC firmware handling erase commands improperly. I never bothered to read up about the issue until now, but it looks like we should also be careful.

Chainfire just released a tool to print out whether your device has a known-bad firmware revision, Got BrickBug?. As you can see, my device has firmware revision 0x19. This revision has been known to cause hard bricks on other devices using Samsung ICS ROMs.

CM9 is safe (Entropy512 haxx0red the kernel), but we should be careful.

I got this bad firmware revision too, but iam still safe after 2 months

Sent from my GT-P6200 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

ringnutz

Well, aorth entioned sth like this before, here his post:

I got this bad firmware revision too, but iam still safe after 2 months

Sent from my GT-P6200 using xda app-developers app

I'm not sure if I had the bad one, but mine worked fine for months too. Then out of the blue it bootlooped and when I tried to fix it by reverting to stock, I got the error. Hopefully when it comes back it will have a different firmware revision (if that's what the problem was)

02xda2

Jul 4, 2005
:) I flashed my tab with 'P6200OXALQ1_P6200XXLQ1_P6200XXLQ1' on 19th July - so far nothing has happened.... and it is working much faster than the 3.2 Honeycomb it came with.:fingers-crossed: Using Stock kernel/recovery... only rooted using temporary touch recovery.

Last edited:

EnTg888

Feb 8, 2011
Ok, so what's the verdict? This bug sounds very scary.

Given that I'm running a stock ICS flashed via ODIN, should I be running:

-Stock recovery
-CWM
-Something else

to avoid bricking while factory reset?

Kuniokun

Jul 11, 2011
I also use mobile Odin to flash ics and no problem. So, could you say that with Mobile Odin are safe from this problem?

suomaf

I have a galaxy note and Entropy who is dealing directly with samsung on this issue has a thread over on the galaxy note page. Lots of information over there.

I use the free emmc bug check app by vinagre https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.vinagre.android.emmc_check&hl=en to check my samsung devices on ics. Not entirely sure that the same case applies for the note and the tab plus though but it does give me peace of mind.

Just to err on the side of caution, I always odin flash back to gingerbread to wipe cache and other stuff before upgrading. This seems to have worked for me so far. *fingers crossed*

Check out that app above, its free and have a read of entropy's thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1698977 but beware they don't take kindly to noob questions. I just mainly read entropy's updates and replies and ignore most of the rest of the stuff there.

thghost

Jan 29, 2012
hi,
i have flashed the stock ICS, the Austrian version using ODIN3. i have been running it since july 18th.
so far i dont see any problem with my tab..

just to say, i have flashed the firmware atleast 3 times, just as an exercise. and have factory reset it after ICS flash atleast like 5 times now.
everything so far works fine. i use the stock recovery for factory reset.

after the 1st flash, i had root.. then thought of unrooting, so flashed the firmware 2 more times.

and in between the flashes, i have factory reset a lot of times.

so far, the bootloop problem which i used to have when on HC, is not there. hopefully, it wont occur in ICS.

hope, this helps developers.

giangp1

May 31, 2007
Is there any chance to bring my tab to life has the repair center hasen't repaired mine :(

Use pit file (tab 7.7) in topic of hg42 - galaxy note this forum.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1667886

Or use this method:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1661590

Last edited:

Zarvox

Nov 27, 2010
Saint-mard
Use pit file (tab 7.7) in topic of hg42 - galaxy note this forum.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1667886
Thanks with manual method described in this thread I've confirmation that my data partition became corrupted.

Yes it is alive !!! :)

I've deleted mmcblk0p9 (DATAFS on my P6210) and recreate one with smaller size (3 GB) than normal (15.2 GB).

When the tablet boot I realise I've 1.68 GB of storage :(

Now I may increase the size of data but previous tries told me if data reach 5 GB in size the creation of partition fail.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is now irrelevant as Jellybean is available for the device.

The old post can be found below:
    As of right now be sure that you all are extemely cautious when trying to flash any type of ICS package (be it firmware, a ROM, or any type of system running it). Our tablet may have an issue with ICS as many other galaxy devices have. A bug currently exists that corrupts the mounting of the data partition on the device which *MAY* lead to a permanent hard bricking of your device.
    This is currently a very RARE issue, however, those who are not well educated in Android development and that do not know how to 100% reset their tablet should refrain from flashing any type of ICS ROM or ODIN package.
    If you have already flashed an ICS ODIN package or are running CM9 safely and have been for a good amount of time, then my guess is that this issue will not effect you, BUT it may strike you at any given time!

For those of you who insist on upgrading to ICS, *PLEASE* backup your entire ROM and make sure that you have the stock HC ODIN package. Although it probably won't help having them if you are hard bricked.​

ringnutz said:
    I also had the can't mount data problem, I tried for 3 days to get it to work. I ended up sending it back to Samsung after reverting everything to stock. I was on cm9 though and one night it just started bootlooping while i was asleep. I.e. it would fully boot then restart after 5 seconds or so. So I tried reverting to stock and trying again, which is when I got the can't mount data issue. I literally tried every combination of wiping, recovery, Odin/heimdall, and the only thing that would get past the Samsung logo was cm9, which would just stick at the boot animation forever. I got tired of messing with it and thought it could have been a hardware problem, so I sent it back under warranty

daviddavid123 said:
    i installed cm9 and ics 4 then my tab hard bricked and internal memory damaged
    krbabb said:
    I dont have posting privleges in the developer forums but i thought i would let you know whats up with my tab.

Rooted it, got cwm on it and flashed cm9. Worked for about a week without issue then started the bootlooping issues. I couldnt even wipe the data in recovery.

Used odin to go back to stock HC according to your instructions. Then i thought it bricked cause it just got stuck on the default screen showing galaxy tab. Tried installing HC a few more times but it never booted.

Tried one more time but now with the stock ics. Still nothing so i gave up.
    Only thing is i couldnt power off. I planned to let the battery die. So it just sat on the default gakaxy tab screen and about 30 minutes later it showed the samsung boot animation.

I let it sit for another half hour with samsung pulsing. Nothing. So i reboot into recovery (stock) which i couldnt even get to before now, wipe everything like 5 times then reboot the device.

Booted up and works like a charm. I thought this thing wad gone.

Not sure if the stock ics tar file did the trick but let everyone know that mine came back to life. It possible other devices could be bricked but maybe there is a chance for some people.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using xda app-developers app
    If you have flashed ICS and you have bricked your device I am sorry. I know there are a few people out there who have....

To conclude, everybody please be careful about tinkering with your device. I know ICS has great speed enhancements and all, but as of right now your box of ice cream sandwiches may or may not be poisoned.

For the daredevils:
    CM9 [View thread]
    Guide to flashing ICS [View thread]

EDIT: Our case is not the same as the other galaxies.... Ours effects the data partition while theirs effects their emmc... I'm assuming ours may be a bug with the firmware installation / recovery as it was with theirs however I'm not sure why it is effecting users on CM9....

EDIT 2: We should all be cautious and NOT wipe at all using Samsung's ICS Recovery. I was chatting with aorth and he suggested that that may be the cause of the issue. His recovery (or the one I posted in my guide) are safe to wipe on.

EDIT 3: I guess we also have reports of the emmc being corrupted as well...
    Nothing is 100% safe. That's how unsure we are about everything. We have an unusual eMMC chip in our device that Samsung seemed to have programmed wrong both at a software and hardware level. That is why to be SAFER (still not 100% safe) our custom ROMs such as Paranoid Android, AOKP, CM, Elements HD, etc have weird install methods such as flashing wiping and flashing and wiping flashing and then flashing.

The only way to SAFELY wipe data and play with other partition wipes is on HoneyComb. You can try these methods by other people, however the most stable way is to be on ClockwordMod Recovery (CWM / CWM Recvoery) and either:
    1. Flash ROM
    2. Wipe
    3. Flash ROM
    or
    1. Wipe
    2. Flash ROM
    (reboot)
    3. Flash ROM

I'm not a Hardware Engineer or anything, but I did read up on this for the S II and other devices. Don't go betting your life on this post, it may have faults and or be faulty, but for what I've tested and played around with, it's the most STABLE.
    Just don't wipe data/factory reset using recovery ICS (RECOVERY 3e). Use recovery 5.5.0.4 or 6.0.x.x......only you wipe for up new rom, everything will be OK.

Ignore this post.
    The brickbug appears on many Samsung devices and Samsung has a software fix in the new JB kernels. It does not repair already bricked devices, but prevents the offending commands from happening on future ROMs. Developers should read the thread below and add this safe fix to their kernel or CWM recovery.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1698977&page=33