System and user apps accidentally frozen

Search This thread

fcarminato

Sep 17, 2014
Sao Paulo
For those, who accidentally frozen system app here quicker solution without factory reset and ADB
It automatically edits files as described in first post.

Just flash this ZIP through custom recovery (TWRP / CWM) and all apps will be unfrozen, so phone will boot.
Compatible with all Android versions.

tags: unfroze apps, auto-unfroze

Thank you so much. This zip saved my day.

I did the same **** with TB as everyone else on this post.

the zip did the job on my MOTO X 2014 XT1097 Sotck ROM MM 6.0.

Reactions: Bonoboo

Honusnap

Feb 20, 2010
Woooo you saved my life

For those, who accidentally frozen important system app: here quick solution without factory reset, reflashing and ADB

Download both ZIP's and just flash them via custom recovery (TWRP / CWM)
If first gives error try second and vice versa. 2nd with mark "New" contains newer updater-binary that must be compatible with recent TWRP.

Then all apps will be unfrozen, so phone will boot.
Fix compatible with all Android versions.

tags: unfroze apps, auto-unfroze, defrost apps, unfreeze apps

After having frozen .. a bad app, my device was stucked in bootlop, impossible to adb and "pm list packages -d", device was in early stage of booting and was giving me "Error: Could not access the Package Manager. Is the system running?"
Your package is exactly what i was in need for.
Thanks

sergej_7

May 22, 2012
For those, who accidentally frozen important system app: here quick solution without factory reset, reflashing and ADB

If first gives error try second and vice versa. 2nd with mark "New" contains newer updater-binary that must be compatible with recent TWRP.

the new zip worked even with the latest titanium backup app and lineage os thank you thank you thank you

chandradithya

Oct 15, 2010
Mumbai

Thank you so much! I accidentally froze Mi Account app using titanium backup on my Redmi 4X and it didnt let me activate the device at all.
You saved me from a factory reset!

Was skeptical the zip would not work but it still works!

Atopian

Aug 25, 2017

Posting to say that these zips saved me hours of work rebuilding my phone setup after a similar accident. Thanks!

AndroidRaven

Nov 7, 2013

bringing this back from the dead.

Is there any possible way to defrost apps if I can't flash a custom recovery? I currently have a T-mobile s8+ with locked bootloader. Is there any other way that anything can be done?

Is there anything that can be done to save the data from the phone at least?

belayalapa

Jan 21, 2018
Moscow

New zip worked perfectly on my Sony Xperia C5 Ultra Dual in bootloop via TWRP, you're just saved my phone and all my data from reflashing, thank you so much!

PURJUJU

Dec 14, 2013

Thank you soooo much! this could help me after 1 complete day of trying to find a solution.
I used it by:
1) launching adb sideload from a temporary twrp launched from Nexus Rootkit tool 2.1.9
2) from a command prompt : C:\Program Files (x86)\WugFresh Development\Nexus Root Toolkit\data>adb sideload Unfreeze_all_apps.zip

I hope this can help Nexus 5 users

ajdestroy

May 26, 2017

thank you thank you thank you so much:highfive::laugh::fingers-crossed:

Spikestrip

Apr 14, 2012

This just saved me many hours of reconfiguring every little detail on my phone. I got trigger happy with the freezing and couldn't boot. This was the last thing I could find to try, I was just about to give up and wipe the phone. I'm very sure these files would help a lot more people if they were easier to find. I came here from a link in a Nexus 5 thread, and I'm using a OnePlus 7 Pro. These .zip files clearly don't care what device I'm on. And for the record, it was the _New file that worked for me. Anyway, thanks a ton, stranger! I can't overstate the relief I'm feeling that this worked!

FF.Fucfunny

Mar 8, 2015

Thank u alot!!

AbhiFromXtraZ

Jun 26, 2016
Kharagpur

You should have unlocked bootloader. If no, ZIP useless because unlocking wipes all data.

UPD, 19.07.20: fix a bit updated, now should be even more compatible with modern recoveries.

tags: unfroze apps, auto-unfroze, defrost apps, unfreeze apps, 5596

Can't download the "New" version zip. And the old one doesn't work on Android Q. Can anyone share the New version.

Thanks

zman519

Oct 27, 2010
the Land of Beer & Cheese
I am having the same issue with LOS 17.1 with a few systems apps that i froze "experimenting" o_O:unsure:with stuff that said Verizon or vzw, i'm not on Verizon.

What i have tired so far with no luck

• your new (2020) zip flash script.
  • Switching SELinux modes
  • edit on pc copy back to /data/system/ with root explorer
  • booted to TWRP copy back file with
    Bash:
    adb push package-restrictions.xml /data/system/users/0/
  • ls -l to check file permissions, owner and group
  • Bash:
    marlin:/data/system/users/0 # ls -l                                        
    total 9764

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 109170 2020-12-04 01:10 package-restrictions.xm
    -rw------- 1 system system 6195 2020-11-19 17:02 photo.png
    drwxrwx--x 2 system system 4096 2020-12-04 00:39 registered_services
    -rw------- 1 system system 797 2020-12-04 00:53 roles.xml
    marlin:/data/system/users/0 # exit
  • After it's change to be like the other files in the dir. What should the chmod, owner & group be set to?
  • Bash:
    marlin:/data/system/users/0 # ls -l
    total 9764

-rw------- 1 system system 109170 2020-12-04 01:10 package-restrictions.xml
    -rw------- 1 system system 6195 2020-11-19 17:02 photo.png
    drwxrwx--x 2 system system 4096 2020-12-04 00:39 registered_services
    -rw------- 1 system system 797 2020-12-04 00:53 roles.xml

Here are the apps I'm trying to defrost :-/
Screenshot_20201203-195945_Titanium_Backup.png

Screenshot_20201203-195955_Titanium_Backup.png

Edit... One last thing i remembered

I can Freeze and Defrost the stock LOS/AOSP Email App and the Exchange Service without issues. It's just strange.

Edit #2

I booted TWRP (slot A) ran
user@linux:~/andorid$ adb sideload Unfreeze_all_apps_New.zip
Total xfer: 2.00x

rebooted to (Slot B) ran it again
user@linux:~/andorid$ adb sideload Unfreeze_all_apps_New.zip
Total xfer: 2.00x

Apps are still frozen :eek::mad:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ZIP for unfreezing apps

You should have unlocked bootloader. If no, ZIP useless because unlocking wipes all data.

If first throws error try second and vice versa. 2nd with mark "New" contains newer updater-binary that must be compatible with recent TWRP.

Note: also you can somehow (ADB or filemanager in TWRP) delete file /data/system/0/package-restrictions.xml
    More correct to edit that file which ZIP actually do, but deleting not harmful too.

READ AT THE END OF THIS POST FOR THE SOLUTION

I accidentally used Titanium Backup's widget to frost all system and user apps, leaving mi phone in a infinite boot animation loop. I dont have aNandroid Backup and I would really love to solve this issue without flashing.

I found at Titanium Backup's troubleshooting webpage that I could use this command with adb to solve my issue:
    Code:
    Type the following command (replace with /dbdata/system/packages.xml if you have a Samsung phone):
    busybox sed -n 's/<package name="\([^"]\+\)".*enabled="false".*/\1/p' /data/system/packages.xml | while read PKG; do pm enable "$PKG"; done

but it just says: No such file or directory (yes, I changed /data to /dbdata as stated in the webpage)

Any idea on how to solve this issue?
    Thank you!

**EDIT:
    This is the way I managed to get my phone working again without having to flash or wipe:

1. Boot in recovery mode and used adb pull command to extract "packages.xml" and "packages-more-backup.xml" from /data/system/
    2. Open both files with Wordpad and replaced all protection="2" or "3" lines to protection="1".
    3. Also, and very important, replaced all enabled="false" lines to enabled="true"
    4. Boot in recovery again and used adb to delete old "packages.xml" and "packages-more-backup.xml" files and push the new ones.
    5. Reboot and Voila!
    6. Boot once again in recovery mode and fix permissions to avoid any problem. :)

Hope that this could be usefull to someone else having this horrible problem.
    Thank you all!
    Many many many thanks for this!! You saved me from countless hours restoring myphone after freezing a file in titanium , making the phone locked.
    The new zip worked fantastic in galaxy s10 lite android 11 original rom.
    For those, who accidentally frozen system app there is quicker solution without factory reset and ADB.

Just flash this ZIP through recovery and all apps will be unfrozen.
    Compatible with all Android versions.
    THANKS MAN!! i just signed up to say thanks! you just saved my life :highfive:
    ZIP for unfreezing apps

If first throws error try second and vice versa. 2nd with mark "New" contains newer updater-binary that must be compatible with recent TWRP.

Note: also you can somehow (ADB or filemanager in TWRP) delete file /data/system/0/package-restrictions.xml
    More correct to edit that file which ZIP actually do, but deleting not harmful too.

This worked great on my old Nexus 6 running Lineage 19.1 (Android 12). Thank you!