XSP-N1BT Car receiver

Search This thread

Denonite

Apr 4, 2011
This looks freakin awesome, I want one now

XSP-N1BT_Angle_with_Xperia_Blue_MED-size-1024x772.jpg

http://blog.sony.com/press/sony-announces-the-first-smartphone-cradle-receiver/

However might limit my car choice in future as most modern cars don't have replaceable radio's.

Last edited:

bertmansk

Aug 16, 2012
I'd get that if I had the ZU instead... I don't think the viewing angles of our phones will allow us to use this.

Denonite

Apr 4, 2011
I currently have a KiDiGi desktop dock (LC-SXZ1 ) mounted in the centre of my car dash and the viewing angle is fine from the drivers perspective.

zenius

Apr 24, 2014
so i bought this deck and have been using it for a week now with my Z1, the dock charges the phone at similar speeds of the OEM wall charger which is awesome, so even with full brightness and bluetooth streaming, the phone still will charge as you drive.
no idea if your steering wheel buttons will work with it as my vehicle does not have any
if any of you have any questions on other functions of the unit, feel free to ask in this thread.

i have not played with it extensively yet, but some big pros and cons so far:
pros:
-fairly easy to align and mount into the magnetic charging dock
-high amp charge through the magnetic port and the usb port
-decent quality outgoing bluetooth phone audio and multiple options of microphone mounting locations
-fits phones up to 80mm wide
-very easy to pair devices with NFC function

cons:
-phone clamp does not actually lock our phone in a secure position (it will however, lock smaller sized phones very effectively). if you hit a pot hole or something of similar effect during high speed, the clamp will sometimes undo it self and your phone might pop out of the deck depending on how stiff your vehicle's suspension setup is.
-while the sony remote app from playstore is active, your keyboard is disabled
-lack of playback buttons on the deck
-when the sony remote app is running, the keyboard gets disabled

these are of course my personal opinions so far.

Last edited:

j-gtr

Jan 14, 2014
Despite the specs saying it won't, would the Xperia Z Ultra fit?

Thanks very much for your post. It's very helpful for those of us considering a purchase of this XSP-N1BT head unit. I have an Xperia Z Ultra with dimensions of 179.4 x 92.2 mm so it seems that based on the posted max supported phone size for this head unit in the manual of 150.7 x 77mm my phone would NOT sit/fit in the dock properly, but I'm wondering if there's anything you can tell from having your hands actually on it that might seem like it could accommodate it anyway. Doesn't it seem idiotic for Sony's own engineers to not make sure this stereo works well with their current largest available smartphone? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'd bet there are loads of Z Ultra users like me trying to find this info, so they'd be extremely happy if you could post a picture of a Z Ultra in your unit if indeed it could fit, but any kind of answer from an actual owner would be awesome before I make a purchase I might have to return.

Reactions: Slayermz

zenius

Apr 24, 2014
Thanks very much for your post. It's very helpful for those of us considering a purchase of this XSP-N1BT head unit. I have an Xperia Z Ultra with dimensions of 179.4 x 92.2 mm so it seems that based on the posted max supported phone size for this head unit in the manual of 150.7 x 77mm my phone would NOT sit/fit in the dock properly, but I'm wondering if there's anything you can tell from having your hands actually on it that might seem like it could accommodate it anyway. Doesn't it seem idiotic for Sony's own engineers to not make sure this stereo works well with their current largest available smartphone? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'd bet there are loads of Z Ultra users like me trying to find this info, so they'd be extremely happy if you could post a picture of a Z Ultra in your unit if indeed it could fit, but any kind of answer from an actual owner would be awesome before I make a purchase I might have to return.

The Z ultra will 100% not fit in this deck, the largest device that did fit in there is the Samsung note 2, with a width of 80mm. Fitting the note 2 also required a significant amount of force to squeeze it in.
Sony's engineers/designers definitely had a brain fart while working on this unit, either that or the one i purchased is defective because the locking latch does not actually push down far enough to actually lock the z1 in place. This problem is hard to describe in words, but what happens in the real world is when ever i hit a bump, slight pot hole or accelerate/decelerate too fast, my z1 falls right out of the deck and sometimes hit me right in the balls :(. Although this would only be a problem if your car has stiff suspensions like mine.

lilleselmer

Oct 5, 2007
Usage with smartband

Is there anyone of you that have this, that also have a sony smartband? I have the smartband, and every time i connect to the XSP-N1BT, my phone starts the lifelog app for the smartband. I have tried to use the smart connect app to create an event to launch the app remote, but it always open the lifelog after that the appremote has opened.

Help anyone! ??

scoobdude

Jan 8, 2008
Had this unit for a week. Returned it. does not do much without the phone and the phone would get really hot.

To add to that certain actions were not available when connected. Was just too clunky for me as it went in my wife's vehicle.

Sent from my C6916 using XDA Free mobile app

XSP-N1BT Mod for Xperia Z ultra

The Z ultra will 100% not fit in this deck, the largest device that did fit in there is the Samsung note 2, with a width of 80mm. Fitting the note 2 also required a significant amount of force to squeeze it in.
Sony's engineers/designers definitely had a brain fart while working on this unit, either that or the one i purchased is defective because the locking latch does not actually push down far enough to actually lock the z1 in place. This problem is hard to describe in words, but what happens in the real world is when ever i hit a bump, slight pot hole or accelerate/decelerate too fast, my z1 falls right out of the deck and sometimes hit me right in the balls :(. Although this would only be a problem if your car has stiff suspensions like mine.

I just purchased the XSP-N1BT head-unit to go with my Xperia Z Ultra. At first glance, and by the published specs it won't fit. But I got a up close and personal look at the radio and took some measurements with a caliper, and I think I can successfully modify the mounting to accept the Z-Ultra. I will perform the mod tonight and post a step by step of the procedure. If you’re like me and aren't afraid to hack on a perfectly good brand new radio because you can, then plan on following along.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

I just purchased the XSP-N1BT head-unit to go with my Xperia Z Ultra. At first glance, and by the published specs it won't fit. But I got a up close and personal look at the radio and took some measurements with a caliper, and I think I can successfully modify the mounting to accept the Z-Ultra. I will perform the mod tonight and post a step by step of the procedure. If you’re like me and aren't afraid to hack on a perfectly good brand new radio because you can, then plan on following along.
Since I don't have enough posts to put up the photos here, you can go to my personal page (three w) gr8ideaspro.com/Electronics/XperiaZmodXSP-NIBT/ to see the progress.

jd254

Oct 20, 2007

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Since I don't have enough posts to put up the photos here, you can go to my personal page (three w) gr8ideaspro.com/Electronics/XperiaZmodXSP-NIBT/ to see the progress.

Can you describe what you did you retrofit the Z Ultra? You link above isn't working for me, and when I did find the picture, I only see a small thumbnail.

66bobbo

Jan 18, 2015
You can use your keyboard.

You can use your keyboard. You have to uncheck a setting in the app. I can't find the setting right now. I believe you need to be in the car to change certain settings. I found it by accident. I called Sony because it was a deal breaker for me. They had no clue. the setting is in the app. Check it out when in the car.
so i bought this deck and have been using it for a week now with my Z1, the dock charges the phone at similar speeds of the OEM wall charger which is awesome, so even with full brightness and bluetooth streaming, the phone still will charge as you drive.
no idea if your steering wheel buttons will work with it as my vehicle does not have any
if any of you have any questions on other functions of the unit, feel free to ask in this thread.

pros:
-decent quality outgoing bluetooth phone audio and multiple options of microphone mounting locations

cons:
-phone clamp does not actually lock our phone in a secure position (it will however, lock smaller sized phones very effectively). if you hit a pot hole or something of similar effect during high speed, the clamp will sometimes undo it self and your phone might pop out of the deck depending on how stiff your vehicle's suspension setup is.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

pros:

cons:

You can use your keyboard. You have to uncheck a setting in the app. I can't find the setting right now. I believe you need to be in the car to change certain settings. I found it by accident. I called Sony because it was a deal breaker for me. They had no clue. the setting is in the app. Check it out when in the car. If I find it, I will reply again

Guttersniper

Feb 11, 2015
London
Possible solution to physical keyboard issue for Z1 users (works with Z2)

pros:

cons:

Was looking for an answer for something else but thought I'd chip in to this thread.
Those with the stereo may be able to turn off the "physical keyboard" by doing the following, bare in mind i'm using an Xperia Z2 so hopefully this will work.
Go to bluetooth settings, select "Sony Car Stereo" from the list of profiles available and untick "Input Device".
Doing this should permanently disable, or rather permanently enable soft keyboard functionality with your phone when connected without having to manually turn it off all the time.

mikko1

Jul 12, 2010
Jaworzno
Was looking for an answer for something else but thought I'd chip in to this thread.
Those with the stereo may be able to turn off the "physical keyboard" by doing the following, bare in mind i'm using an Xperia Z2 so hopefully this will work.
Go to bluetooth settings, select "Sony Car Stereo" from the list of profiles available and untick "Input Device".
Doing this should permanently disable, or rather permanently enable soft keyboard functionality with your phone when connected without having to manually turn it off all the time.

Hi!

I confirm that you can enable soft keybord by unchecking "Input Device" in settings.

But I have other problem and I'd like to ask you for your help. Generally everything is working fine to me but after disconnect my Xperia Z1 from receiver my phone doesn't go to deep sleep with constant bluetooth activity. Usually helps me turning off and turning on bluetooth another time I have to restart my phone. Can anyone helps me?

Milosz.

techker

Mar 9, 2011
Changed my app radio for this and up to now its great..the only thing is how can we enable the keyboard???

That part is annoying... Lol

hercthx

Dec 21, 2015
Will this head unit allow me to use my steering wheel uconnect buttons (basically one voice command button and one phone activate button) as well as other steering wheel buttons ( volume up/down, track forward/back) in my 2013 jeep jk?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

pros:

cons:

Despite the specs saying it won't, would the Xperia Z Ultra fit?

Will this unit work for the Z5? I don't think Z5 has magnetic connection to charge