Motofail (GB+ICS): Universal Motorola Android Root Tools (Portable)

Search This thread

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
For convenience sake, I have compiled the Motofail rooter into a single exe file (for use on builds with a GB-based kernel). I have also compiled the ICS root exploit into a single exe file as well (for builds based on a true ICS kernel). No code has been changed, and all credit goes to Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss).

• Universal Gingerbread (GB) Rooter: Download HERE (virus free)

• Universal Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Rooter: Download HERE (virus free)

These rooters have been tested and working on Droid 3, Droid Bionic, Droid RAZR, Droid 4, even on the latest ROM releases like the 5.9.905 for the Bionic and the official/cheesecake ICS leaks. Please make sure you use the right rooter, one is for GB and the other is for ICS. These will work on the official OTA releases as well as any custom ROMs.

If needed, the latest Motorola USB PC drivers can be downloaded here:
http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-...tware_and_Drivers/USB-and-PC-Charging-Drivers

Last edited:

Bfitz26

Jun 3, 2011
layton
How is this diffenent that motofail ?? Wild guess we can actually one click from our phone ??or what

Sent from my XT875 using XDA App

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
How is this diffenent that motofail ?? Wild guess we can actually one click from our phone ??or what

No, this is nothing more than the standard motofail, it is just compiled into a single EXE file now. I created it because I had people asking me how to use Motofail. One guy asked me what file he runs, or if he copies the files into his sytem of his phone **yikes**, so I made this just for convenience sake (it only runs on Windows, so it should be pretty clear).

Reactions: Travisdroidx2

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
Thanks crobs! This is a great idea. I want to let you know I've added it to my step-by-step guide, which I hope will be helpful for anyone who is unsure how to use this tool to root their phone.

Last edited:

Bfitz26

Jun 3, 2011
layton
wow ok i thought this was self explainatory run .batch file i guess people have never used a one click root exploit wouldn't know but this was by far the easiest root method other than odin of coarse

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
wow ok i thought this was self explainatory run .batch file i guess people have never used a one click root exploit wouldn't know but this was by far the easiest root method other than odin of coarse

A lot of people find this website when they want to do something specific with their phone. The majority of them do not know what a batch file is. The devs on here have a lot of good information but spit it out at a high level, expecting people to just "know" a ton of information right off the .bat (pun intended)

I am simply trying to bridge the gap, as you can probably infer from my practical/layman-term tutorials.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App

Bfitz26

Jun 3, 2011
layton
Lmao tuck I do but too lazy to correct myself wifey yells at me all the time for it thanks for noticing though plus the majority of my post are via phone so....

picketf

Feb 21, 2012
Tried this with Xoom but says: remount failed
and no luck. Does this even work on Xoom or is this particular file only for phones?

Edit: Could whoever did this include the local.prop file and step 5. from the original Dan Rosenberg thread? Apparently then it would also work for Xoom tablets.

PRETTY PLEASE!

Last edited:

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
Tried this with Xoom but says: remount failed
and no luck. Does this even work on Xoom or is this particular file only for phones?

Edit: Could whoever did this include the local.prop file and step 5. from the original Dan Rosenberg thread? Apparently then it would also work for Xoom tablets.

PRETTY PLEASE!

I would be happy to rebuild it, however what file are you referring to? I thought I packaged the latest version, and I never saw anything about it working on the Xoom to begin with. Feel free to enlighten me though because once it worked on my Bionic, I stopped researching.

lemonoid

Jun 15, 2011
Boone, NC

thanks and I have a question. adb is broken on my Bionic and has been for months that's why I haven't updated until now because all root exploits until recently have utilized adb and for some reason, my adb on my Bionic is broken except for adb wireless, so does Motofail use adb at any point during its process? i mean it kinda has to doesn't it? I don't know I've never known how the root programs work step by step, its just most i've ever used have used adb, except on my Droid Eris I had a one-click root.

Last edited:

iNsAnEmOd

Jan 12, 2012
Lansing,MI
thanks and I have a question. adb is broken on my Bionic and has been for months that's why I haven't updated until now because all root exploits until recently have utilized adb and for some reason, my adb on my Bionic is broken except for adb wireless, so does Motofail use adb at any point during its process? i mean it kinda has to doesn't it? I don't know I've never known how the root programs work step by step, its just most i've ever used have used adb, except on my Droid Eris I had a one-click root.

i think you need adb

lemonoid

Jun 15, 2011
Boone, NC
i got my adb working. I updated my phone to .902 on a hunch that it might fix my adb and it worked. I ran motofail and this is what i got
[*] Deploying payload...
cannot stat 'motofail': No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /data/local/motofail: No such file or directory
[*] Owning phone...
/data/local/motofail: not found
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.
actually.....my phone didn't update which is weird. it got stuck in a bootloop and so i went into factory recovery and factory reset it, and it went back to .886. but I got it forever rooted so hopefully it will be able to update successfully from here

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For convenience sake, I have compiled the Motofail rooter into a single exe file (for use on builds with a GB-based kernel). I have also compiled the ICS root exploit into a single exe file as well (for builds based on a true ICS kernel). No code has been changed, and all credit goes to Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss).

• Universal Gingerbread (GB) Rooter: Download HERE (virus free)

• Universal Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Rooter: Download HERE (virus free)

These rooters have been tested and working on Droid 3, Droid Bionic, Droid RAZR, Droid 4, even on the latest ROM releases like the 5.9.905 for the Bionic and the official/cheesecake ICS leaks. Please make sure you use the right rooter, one is for GB and the other is for ICS. These will work on the official OTA releases as well as any custom ROMs.

If needed, the latest Motorola USB PC drivers can be downloaded here:
    http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-...tware_and_Drivers/USB-and-PC-Charging-Drivers

A lot of people find this website when they want to do something specific with their phone. The majority of them do not know what a batch file is. The devs on here have a lot of good information but spit it out at a high level, expecting people to just "know" a ton of information right off the .bat (pun intended)

I am simply trying to bridge the gap, as you can probably infer from my practical/layman-term tutorials.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App
    So I'm almost ready to use this but I do need to know if there is a way to unroot back to stock on the .902 root.

not sure what you mean.

If your saying is there a way to unroot .902 then Yes.

Petes MOTO Tools

No, this is nothing more than the standard motofail, it is just compiled into a single EXE file now. I created it because I had people asking me how to use Motofail. One guy asked me what file he runs, or if he copies the files into his sytem of his phone **yikes**, so I made this just for convenience sake (it only runs on Windows, so it should be pretty clear).
    Try a different usb port

If that does not work then try a different computer

If that still does not work then re-stock your phone (FXZ/update to .906) and try again before installing any of your apps or synchronizing your accounts.

Sent from my XT875 using xda app-developers app