[HOW-TO] The ULTIMATE All-In-One Guide - I337M & MDL - MF3 - MK2

Search This thread

KCH2005

Feb 10, 2012
Detroit metro area, MI
For the last 2 days I've been reading through multiple threads & finally understood everything enough to start flashing but then come across this simple, well explained, straight to the point, summed up guide. Wish I would of came across this thread first because I would of understood everything I needed to know & been flashing away within an hour or so instead of on my third day owning the phone. Thanks :good:

Reactions: xBeerdroiDx

AxAtAx

Mar 14, 2011
ViSiON,Texas
For the last 2 days I've been reading through multiple threads & finally understood everything enough to start flashing but then come across this simple, well explained, straight to the point, summed up guide. Wish I would of came across this thread first because I would of understood everything I needed to know & been flashing away within an hour or so instead of on my third day owning the phone. Thanks :good:

Man, I wish you hadn't said this, xBeerdroiDx's head is going to swell. Just kidding.:laugh:

It is a very good guide, wish I had seen something like this back in mytouch days, I had to learn the hard way..

makes my thread look pathetic.

xBeerdroiDx keep it up bud.

Reactions: xBeerdroiDx

@gbaxh

Jul 13, 2013
Man, I wish you hadn't said this, xBeerdroiDx's head is going to swell. Just kidding.:laugh:

It is a very good guide, wish I had seen something like this back in mytouch days, I had to learn the hard way..

makes my thread look pathetic.

xBeerdroiDx keep it up bud.

Thanks XBeerdroiDx....

AxAtAx

Mar 14, 2011
ViSiON,Texas
I'm glad the guide can be helpful to you all. Keeping the steps simple and all the material under one roof is crucial to getting as many new users successfully on their feet as possible. Be sure to thank Adam, Dan and the others as you are linked to their awesome material via this guide. Cheers

Why didn't you say your link was not in my guide. I added it now. I thought it was there sir, sorry.

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hey Guys picking up the SGS4 so to get into download mode does the old jig from The Captivate still work on the SGS4 as it did on the SGS3? Either way I will try when I get the phone....and report back, unless it gets answered.

xBeerdroiDx

Nov 10, 2012
Fort Worth
Hey Guys picking up the SGS4 so to get into download mode does the old jig from The Captivate still work on the SGS4 as it did on the SGS3? Either way I will try when I get the phone....and report back, unless it gets answered.

I've seen several people on here that have used their jigs to get into download mode. No confirmation of whether it does anything else

Reactions: caanda45

spectar1981us

Jul 17, 2013
I am sorry if this has already been answered, I have use the search feature and have been reading up on the issue for a couple of weeks now, but still have a couple of questions that I can’t seem to find a clear answer for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have an att Samsung galaxy s4
Model # samsun-sgh-I337
Android version 4.2.2
Baseband version I337UCUAMDL
Kernel version 3.4.0-46#1
Build # JDQ39.I337UCUAMDL
My questions are:
1. Will this method work for my phone? I mainly just want root access for a few apps. I am not interested m installing new roms or custom recovery’s (although If this installs a custom recovery I guess it wouldn’t hurt me one way or the other)
2. Is there a way to undo this if I ever have to do a warranty repair?
3. Will this erase my personal info on the phone (apps, data, contacts, etc.)?

Thank you in advance for your help and for all you have done for the android community!

xBeerdroiDx

Nov 10, 2012
Fort Worth
1. Will this method work for my phone? I mainly just want root access for a few apps. I am not interested m installing new roms or custom recovery’s (although If this installs a custom recovery I guess it wouldn’t hurt me one way or the other)
2. Is there a way to undo this if I ever have to do a warranty repair?
3. Will this erase my personal info on the phone (apps, data, contacts, etc.)?

Thank you in advance for your help and for all you have done for the android community!

1. yes, this guide, followed step-by-step, will take you from start to finish on the entire process. if you just want root access without a custom recovery, check out the video guide by TheSmokingAndroid under step 2. if you want a custom recovery in order to make a backup or flash a rom, check out Adam's "Casual" root method, also under step 2.

2. if you want to unroot the device for any reason, download the at&t stock firmware (available in the android development section and sammobile.com) and flash it via Odin. then boot into custom recovery and wipe date/factory reset.

3. just rooting will not wipe anything off your device. when you get into flashing other roms, etc, the various levels of wiping required for the various stock/non-stock roms will determine what is and isnt erased. when flashing, make backups in your custom recovery. if you want a quick app/data restore after flashing a new rom, check out titanium backup.

cheers

Reactions: spectar1981us

thanhngo

Jul 10, 2013
hmm...

i have one think want to ask but hope u can understand cuzz my english is not good :D, i want to flash a custom rom but i have see some ROM have Ads-on i just to know how to install those ads-on for that ROM tks for reading this, i'm a newbie :D

D

Deleted member 4474300

Edit: Posted question in the questions thread!

Last edited by a moderator:

xBeerdroiDx

Nov 10, 2012
Fort Worth
i have one think want to ask but hope u can understand cuzz my english is not good :D, i want to flash a custom rom but i have see some ROM have Ads-on i just to know how to install those ads-on for that ROM tks for reading this, i'm a newbie :D

add-on zips are flashed from recovery.

Total noob here....

So I got everything rooted just fine with TWRP

Now I'm just deciding which rom I should install. I downloaded these two:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2261573
http://www.scottsroms.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=412

But the top one says I need Odin, and the second says I need to loki. I guess I'd prefer to skip the extra step, and I found this one:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2349077

Which I prefer the look and feel of, but it's only 378 mb, compared to the other two which are both around 1.5 gb. What would be my best method to proceed here?

I rooted and installed CM10.1/stock rom on my GS3, but that got stolen, so now I'm on GS4.

the top rom is simply the stock rom that came on your device.
when it comes to loki, if a rom has been loki'd already you simply flash it. if the developer says it is not loki'd, you need to flash the loki-doki zip immediately after flashing the rom or flash a loki'd kernel. its not difficult at all.
if you prefer the look and feel of stock android, there are plenty of stable ones in the original android development section. cheers

D

Deleted member 4474300

add-on zips are flashed from recovery.

the top rom is simply the stock rom that came on your device.
when it comes to loki, if a rom has been loki'd already you simply flash it. if the developer says it is not loki'd, you need to flash the loki-doki zip immediately after flashing the rom or flash a loki'd kernel. its not difficult at all.
if you prefer the look and feel of stock android, there are plenty of stable ones in the original android development section. cheers

Great! Thanks for the help. Yea, I much prefer the look and feel of stock, vs the one that came on the phone. Would that be the ROM that I posted in the 3rd link (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2349077)?

Are there any steps I need to to before or after flashing this one?

xBeerdroiDx

Nov 10, 2012
Fort Worth
Great! Thanks for the help. Yea, I much prefer the look and feel of stock, vs the one that came on the phone. Would that be the ROM that I posted in the 3rd link (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2349077)?

Are there any steps I need to to before or after flashing this one?

yes, those GE roms have that aosp look you prefer. the link you provided has a 4.2.2 and 4.3 google edition rom to choose from. i prefer that look/functionality as well and have been using task's 4.2.2 rom and KT's kernel together for a couple months now.

for installing, just follow the dev's instructions in the OP. be sure to make a backup. be sure you're on the MDL baseband (per that dev). while you're wiping in recovery, i would also wipe cache and dalvik cache. cheers

D

Deleted member 4474300

yes, those GE roms have that aosp look you prefer. the link you provided has a 4.2.2 and 4.3 google edition rom to choose from. i prefer that look/functionality as well and have been using task's 4.2.2 rom and KT's kernel together for a couple months now.

for installing, just follow the dev's instructions in the OP. be sure to make a backup. be sure you're on the MDL baseband (per that dev). while you're wiping in recovery, i would also wipe cache and dalvik cache. cheers

Great, done! Everything looks great.

2 more questions:

All my old data is still on my phone, just taking up space (waiting for a restore or something). I'm fine with wiping everything and starting from scratch, is it OK to do a complete factory reset, then mount the ROM?

Are the features like smart scroll and smart pause still available somehow?

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2ccwf7s.jpg

►►AT&T SGH-I337 USERS: DO NOT USE THIS FIRST GUIDE IF YOU ARE ON MF3 / MK2 FIRMWARE.◄◄
    Please instead refer to Post #2 for MF3 & MK2 rooting and Safestrap Recovery installation processes.

This thread exists to keep all the necessary guides and material in one common place for the new users looking for the opportunity to do this right the first time. As always: Know what you're doing. Know what device model you have. Know your limits.

If followed correctly, this 5-step guide can be a useful tool. These steps are listed in the order in which they should be completed. The intent is to seamlessly root, backup and flash, leaving as little room for error as possible. This process will erase and/or reset everything on your device. All steps are assuming you have backed up your contacts, texts, pictures, videos, etc. I do not take credit for any of this material or information. This is all the work of great people that I have simply brought together. Cheers!

**WARNING!** All information and attached links are for the I337 & I337M ONLY! No one here is responsible for anything that may happen to your device. Proceed at your own risk.​

>>>>>>Before you begin, make sure your S4 has USB Debugging Mode switched on<<<<<<​

icon-checkmark-small.png
    Step 1: Read. Read. Succeed.

Your journey down the Android path of rooting and modding can be smooth, fun and educational, based on your attempt at learning everything you can before you begin. This is entirely up to you, the user. There is some excellent material here on XDA that I highly recommend reading over as part of step 1. Don't skip this information!

[GUIDE][INFO] The beginner's info thread (aka. the noob helper): This awesome guide by @Rastabolino is intended to be an all-in-one resource for the new user, covering all the basic material and XDA ground rules that everyone on this site should know.

Frequently Asked Questions: Need I say more? Just about every question asked on this forum is covered in this great little post by @ronnie498. This a short list of frequently asked questions on this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems.

icon-checkmark-small.png
    Step 2: Rooting Your Device

For those of you who want to get most out of your Galaxy S4, you will certainly want to root it. Rooting your I337 or I337M provides you as the user many, many benefits. That's why you're here right now reading this. You want it all.

Please note that there is always the chance of error during these processes. Bad or faulty USB cables, USB ports, bad/old device drivers on the computer, an active virus scanner. These are a few of the issues that can cause your device to fail to connect or prohibit a successful root/flash. Use good and original OEM USB cables. Uninstall any drivers you may have installed for Samsung Mobile Devices and disable your virus scanner.

AT&T/I337 Users: [ROOT[RECOVERY] Loki + TWRP + Motochopper CASUAL
    The thread linked here is the work of @AdamOutler, aptly named "CASUAL". Casual uses the exploit by @djrbliss and will guide you through the process. You will need to download and execute the CASUAL application then follow the onscreen instructions. After it is complete, you will have root access and Team Win's latest TWRP custom recovery installed.

Canadian/I337M Users: [SGH-I337M] CF-Auto-Root [CANADIAN MODELS ONLY]
    The thread linked here is the work of @Chainfire and will successfully provide root access on to your Galaxy S4. CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

I337 & I337M Users: [Video Guide] How To Root Galaxy S4 I337 / I337m Easy & User Friendly
    Additionally, here is great video guide by @TheSmokingAndroid which demonstrates the utilization of @djrbliss' Motochopper tool. This thread provides another easy rooting option for both the AT&T & Canadian S4 variants and will have you on your way in no time.

**If you want to have root access only you can stop here.**​

icon-checkmark-small.png
    STEP 3: Installing A Custom Recovery

For those of you that did not have the option of installing a custom recovery during your root & unlock process, follow this next step to get one installed.
    A recovery image is the system level software for your Android that lets you perform several maintenance and recovery tasks. The stock recovery image is quite limited in what it allows you to do and therefore, flashing a custom recovery image is required to gain full control of your device’s administration. A custom recovery image allows you to perform the following tasks:

- Wipe your phone’s data (Factory reset) and cache
    - Make, restore and manage backups of your phone’s operating system and software
    - Mount, unmount and format your phone’s internal as well as external storage partitions
    - Install a custom ROM or application from a zip file to your phone
    - Wipe Dalvik cache and battery statistics
    - Make logs for error reporting and debugging

The 2 most common custom recoveries are listed here. Take your pick and download from the Play Store or check out some of the other custom recovery options in the Android Development section.

idybV.png
    **ClockworkMod (CWM)**
    1. Open Rom Manager and tap on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery option in the app.
    2. You’ll be asked to select your device, select your device name.
    3. As soon as you select the model, it should begin installing the recovery.
    4. When it has done installing the recovery, you will get a message for the same on your screen.
    *NOTE: I do not recommend Rom Manager as a tool to do anything but just install and update ClockworkMod Recovery Do not flash ROMs from Rom Manager.

ScKKz.png
    **Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP)**
    1. Once the download is complete launch Goo Manager.
    2. On the top right of the screen there is the “options” menu.
    3. Tap on options.
    4. Then, click or choose the “Install OpenRecovery Script” option.
    5. Select “yes” on the prompts that will follow. Now, the app will download and install TWRP Recovery on your S4
    *NOTE: I do not recommend GooManager as a tool to do anything but just install and update TWRP Recovery Do not flash ROMs from Goo Manager.

icon-checkmark-small.png
    Step 4: Making a Nandroid & EFS Backup

Making a nandroid will allow you to try out new ROMs while still keeping a safe backup in the event you experience issues during or after a custom OS or kernel installation. Be sure your device is fully charged before proceeding to the backup and flashing procedures.

If you are not already booted into recovery then do so now.

1. Power off your device.
    2. Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
    3. Release the power button when the device vibrates and you see the blue script in the top left corner
    4. You are now in custom recovery.
    5. In CWM go to Backup and Restore and select Backup. In TWRP select Backup. Name and select the options you want. Swipe to backup.
    6. In TWRP, after the nandroid is finished, select "Name" and create a name for your EFS backup. Deselect everything except for EFS then swipe to backup.
    7. After backup is finished, select reboot system now or stay in recovery to continue with this guide.

*NOTE: Be sure to save a copy of these backups to your computer and/or micro sd card. Having a recent backup saved to your computer and micro SD card can be useful if something happens to your phones internal memory.

icon-checkmark-small.png
    Step 5A: Wiping Your Device

When flashing any ROM, it is always important to follow the proper wipe procedures in order for everything to function properly. There are various levels of wiping based on what sort of transition you may be making. In this guide, I will list the procedures for a full wipe, presuming that you are coming from the stock firmware and changing your OS completely. This is all assuming you have made the appropriate backups. ALWAYS perform the appropriate wipe before flashing a new ROM or update!

1. If you are not already in recovery, boot in now (Vol Up + Home + Power. Release the power button at vibrate and when you see the blue script in the top left corner).

In CWM:
    2. Select Wipe data/factory reset
    3. Select Wipe Cache
    4. Select Advanced and Wipe Dalvik Cache
    5. Select Mounts and Storage and format /system
    6. If you are transitioning from 4.1 to 4.2 or 4.2 to 4.1, you must also format /data. You will lose all personal data so back it up first.

In TWRP:
    2. Select Wipe
    3. Select Factory Reset and wipe
    4. Select System and wipe
    5. If you are transitioning from 4.1 to 4.2 or 4.2 to 4.1, you must also select Data and wipe. You will lose all personal data so back it up first.

icon-checkmark-small.png
    Step 5B: Flashing a Custom ROM

AT&T Users: First, check out this link by attn1. It will help provide some understanding of why we need a patch. Understand that with this device, any boot image or custom ROM you flash requires this patch. Pay attention to the thread you are browsing in to note if the developer has posted in the title or OP that the ROM or kernel has been Loki'd already. If the ROM or kernel you desire has been Loki'd, you may proceed with the download and flash in a custom recovery via the steps below. If the ROM or kernel has not been patched yet, download the loki-doki zip located in the link and flash it as directed. See the instructions below.

Once you have selected a ROM for your specific S4 model:

1. Download the ROM - If you are downloading a stock/TouchWiz-based ROM, Google Apps (gapps) will be included. If you are downloading an AOSP-based ROM, be sure to download the appropriate gapps as well.
    2. From your PC, place the ROM/gapps on your internal or external SD card. Remember where they are.
    3. Boot into custom recovery (Vol Up + Home + Power. Release the power button at vibrate and when you see the blue script in the top left corner).
    4. Perform the wipe listed above if you have not already.
    5. From the main recovery screen:
    >>CWM - Choose the "install .zip from SD Card" or "install .zip from external SD card" option (depending on where you placed the files) then navigate to the ROM file, select it and confirm.
    >>TWRP - Choose Install and locate the desired ROM on your internal or external SD.

►►► AT&T users, if you are flashing a custom ROM or kernel that has not been patched, repeat step 5 and flash the loki-doki.zip now ◄◄◄

6. If you need to flash gapps, repeat step 5 and select the gapps package.
    7. Reboot system. It will take several minutes to load so be patient and don't worry. Once the phone is booted, let it sit for 5 minutes, reboot and enjoy!
    ►►AT&T-MF3 / MK2 Root & Recovery Mini Guide◄◄​

Concerning AT&T's latest build: If you are an AT&T user on MF3 or MK2, you CANNOT use the steps in the guide above to root, backup or flash anything to your device. Trying to install a custom recovery on your device will result in a brick.

If you are currently running the MF3 or MK2 build, this portion of the guide is for you. Just follow the steps below.​

icon-checkmark-small.png
    Step 1: Read & Ask Questions.
    Official AT&T S4 Safestrap Discussion
    @graydiggy has a great discussion thread for the AT&T S4 Safestrap method. Check it out. Lots of good information. If you have any questions about MF3 in general, @TheAxman has assembled a Q&A section here.

icon-checkmark-small.png
    Step 2: Root

[ROOT] Saferoot: Root for VRUEMJ7, MK2, and Android 4.3
    Checkout @k1mu's thread here which covers and supplies everything you need to get your S4 variant rooted. For you lucky (or not so much) folks on MK2, head this direction for further details.
    Root Method for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4 (OTA MF3)
    Visit @jortex's root guide in order to achieve root access on your MF3'd device.

icon-checkmark-small.png
    Step 3: Recovery

[RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.65 & v3.71 - MF3/MK2
    Check out the amazing @Hashcode's thread for everything you need to continue with your device modifications. Root is required. Start at the top of the thread, read everything and enjoy filling those virtual slots.

[Q] But what if i just want to block the update altogether and retain root/recovery on my current MDB/MDL build?
    [A] Refer to this guide by @Aou.

[Q] How do I restore my S4 to factory stock with Odin?
    [A] Thanks to @Shockndrop, we now have a way for those on MF3 to get back to stock, fix a softbrick, etc with Odin. The newest thread on the topic can be found here. Go check it out and make a donation if this has helped you.

Be sure to thank these guys as you visit their threads.

As always, if you don't have the knowledge to fix any potential issues you may run into, don't root it. Read up and proceed at your own risk.
    Today I've got my new s4 from att =) Now it's on MDL. I just said that I don't like the color and I want to exchange it. Purposely I didn't take my SIM card with me and said that I will finish with my phone at home.At the time of first start I didn't activate WiFi to stop firmware update. Then after root, I installed Titanium Backup and frozen 3 app below:
    1. AT&T Software update Vxx_x_xxxx_x_x
    2. FWUpgrade x.x.x
    3. LocalFOTA vx_xxxx_x_x
    It was easy and no more MF3
    I'm keeping my ear to the ground. :good:
    thanks for the feedback everyone. that's what makes a great thread. updated OP. guides for both I337 & I337M.

smile and drink a craft beer. :cowboy: