[Q] Help! HTC HD T8282 doesn't respond at the password screen

Search This thread

myblubu

Mar 25, 2009
I just set a 4 digit password on my HTC HD T8282 a few days ago. Its worked fine for several days - when I turn it on and enter the 4 digit code, everything is fine. But a couple days ago I turned it on and the password screen shows the number pad, but when I touch the numbers, nothing happens (usually I would see an * for each digit I press), but nothing happens when I touch the digits now, however I can press the "Menu" button on the bottom right of the screen and get a selection of Reset Password or Cancel - but the only option that can be selected is cancel (the 'Reset Password' option is greyed out).

Any idea how I fix this, I can't use may phone now!

I'm trying to avoid doing a hard reset if I can.

Any suggestions???

Chef_Tony

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 8, 2008
it might be an issue with your touch screen calibration, have you tried connecting and controlling the device using a windows pc and mymobiler?

myblubu

Mar 25, 2009
Interesting! I did notice that the screen calibration was off one day and recalibrated it and everything seemed fine after that. But I'll definitely give this a try! I'll let you know what happend too.

Thanks for the quick response!

myblubu

Mar 25, 2009
it might be an issue with your touch screen calibration, have you tried connecting and controlling the device using a windows pc and mymobiler?

I downloaded mymobiler v1.25 and intalled it. My PC is running Windows XP and I use ActiveSync v4.5. ActiveSync is able to connect to my pnone when its connected to my PC but I can't get mymobiler to connect to it.

I see the mymobiler icon in the system tray but it gives a "not connected" message if I place the mouse cursor over the icon. Also, if I click the icon and get the menu, even if I click "Connect" nothing seems to happen.

Also, the mymobiler screen doesn't show when I select "Open Mobiler".

Anything I'm doing wrong?

Chef_Tony

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 8, 2008
that reminds me of the question i should have asked in the first place:
did you set the password with the windows mobile built-in security feature or using a 3rd party software?
background: the windows mobile's own security is meant to prevent proper activesync connections, because, without entering the password, you are not supposed to be able to sync data or access the phone, in that case, activesync should ask you for your 4 digit password, before the connection is really established.
also, if i remember correctly from my blueangel (which had a password bug with cooked roms), a hard reset wouldn't even be enough to unlock the phone again, because potential thieves could do that as well and had a brand new phone on their hands. so only flashing the device with another rom did the trick.

assuming that, as a reasonable windows mobile user, you create regular pim backups, either using pimbackup, MS myphone or outlook sync, you might be better off, just flashing the rom again, performing a hard reset and start over. after all, as of now, your phone is only a useless brick and being able to use such a great device again should be worth more than a few sms or the 90-120 minutes it takes you to flash the device and set it up again and install your apps.

myblubu

Mar 25, 2009
that reminds me of the question i should have asked in the first place:
did you set the password with the windows mobile built-in security feature or using a 3rd party software?
background: the windows mobile's own security is meant to prevent proper activesync connections, because, without entering the password, you are not supposed to be able to sync data or access the phone, in that case, activesync should ask you for your 4 digit password, before the connection is really established.
also, if i remember correctly from my blueangel (which had a password bug with cooked roms), a hard reset wouldn't even be enough to unlock the phone again, because potential thieves could do that as well and had a brand new phone on their hands. so only flashing the device with another rom did the trick.

assuming that, as a reasonable windows mobile user, you create regular pim backups, either using pimbackup, MS myphone or outlook sync, you might be better off, just flashing the rom again, performing a hard reset and start over. after all, as of now, your phone is only a useless brick and being able to use such a great device again should be worth more than a few sms or the 90-120 minutes it takes you to flash the device and set it up again and install your apps.

Its the Window's built in security feature.

It seems as the activeSync works to update my Microsoft Outlook with information from my phone while connected to my PC. But Mymobiler doesn't connect to the phone.

I wouldn't even know where to start for flashing the rom - never done that, looks like I'm going to have to do some reading on the forum...

myblubu

Mar 25, 2009
UPDATE: I did a hard reset on my phone and now after booting, it shows a screen alignment screen and I keep pressing on the screen where the marker is, each time the marker moves to the next location (center then each corner of the screen). After I finish with each location, the process starts all over again - it just keeps doing this.

Any idea what is wrong now???

Chef_Tony

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 8, 2008
if it just keeps starting over, the points you pressed were too far off the regular grid, so the device "doesn't believe it". you should have a look at your screen, whether somewhere there might be a tiny peace of dirt or an air bubble under the screenprotector or something like that. since the blackstone lacks multitouch, when it detects 2 display touches, the relative center of the 2 points pressed is the touch point it recognizes. say, you have dirt pressing your display in the top left, you are aligning the screen at the bottom right, it will determine the relative middle of the display as touched point.

so what i'm trying to say is:
either your screen has some hidden peace of dirt somewhere, which would mean, clean it thoroughly, OR your display is starting to fail due to a hardware defect, caused probably by the device's age and everyday wear and tear. in that case, have a look at ebay for the digitizer+lcd combo, download the blackstone service manual and exchange the display. also, in case you need to buy spare parts, be advised that the price for a used blackstone, depending on your location, might only be as high as 80-180$ (which makes some spare parts heavily overpriced in comparison to the price of the device itself).

myblubu

Mar 25, 2009
I was just looking at ebay for a digitizer+LCD combo and saw this but also saw a digitizer only which was much cheaper. Since my LCD screen appears to be fine (image on the screen visible), do I need the Combo, or will the digitizer only work (or is it much easier to install the combo, etc?) Since I've never done this, just wondering...

Chef_Tony

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 8, 2008
i believe there are a few other threads on this forum dealing with both the installation of the digitizer only and the combo. the problem appears to be that the lcd and the digitizer are glued together, which makes it very hard to separate your original unit and there is a risk of harming your lcd in the process, which makes the repair more expensive. personally i'd go for the combo for more convenience.

myblubu

Mar 25, 2009
i believe there are a few other threads on this forum dealing with both the installation of the digitizer only and the combo. the problem appears to be that the lcd and the digitizer are glued together, which makes it very hard to separate your original unit and there is a risk of harming your lcd in the process, which makes the repair more expensive. personally i'd go for the combo for more convenience.

Thanks - that make sense. I'll look at getting a combo. I found the post with pics about replacing it on the forum and hopefully that does it for me. Thanks so much for all of your help!

myblubu

Mar 25, 2009
Thanks Chef_Tony! Got the combo unit and installed it today - phone is back up and running! Thanks for all of your help!

I found a good video on disassembly and reassembly on the web, just in case anyone else needs it, here's the location:

http://vimeo.com/7623264