[TUTORIAL][ROOT] How to root your HTC Wildfire S?

Search This thread

woprr

Jul 28, 2011
1a. Turn off settings->fast boot, switch off, wait 20s, if in doubt remove and reinsert battery.
1b. Press vol down and hold
2. Press power and hold
3. Hold both for >3s
4. Release Power
5. Release vol down

Please say your detailed steps to reproduce the issue or we cannot help You.
Read http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16764890&postcount=15
and try rezipping the zip with a compatible zip app.
If still not working try http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1213229
Use google translate service if You cannot write English.

Last edited:

andi_79

Feb 24, 2009
Hi,

I just tried to check the version on my wildfire S as well, and it seems even I got a S-ON.

So is there still no way to make it root, without these x-clip?
Just to get it right, the latest GingerBreak version doesn't work on a Wildfire S-on, right? coz it should work on some roms and some some not?

thanks

aarun444

Jan 5, 2011
Dr wopper my device is s on but bootloader recovery is wrking wat can I do

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using XDA App

Last edited:

soter

Apr 8, 2010
First of all, I'd like to thank chlinkchlink for finding out about some rooting instructions on XDA.cn. It has been a pain in the nuts to root this thing but it seems like the chinese folks over there were able to crack the thing. I am not the author of the script, I'm just putting all this together for everyone to enjoy. Also, thanks to the people of XDA.cn for their work.

I know GingerBreak works on some roms, but recent firmware versions have been fixed to not work with GingerBreak, one example is the Bell Canada firmware variant.

So far this method works on:
  • Stock European ROMs (tested by sammyke007)
  • Bell Canada ROMs (tested by me)
  • Asian ROMs (tested by XDA.cn)
  • T-Mobile ROMs (tested by Tera Tike)

Requirements:

• A Wildfire S with unlocked bootloader or S-OFF. If you're still on S-ON, you will need XTC-Clip to make it work. So far, noboby has cracked the S-ON on the Wildfire S via software.
  • A PG76IMG.zip file (custom recovery UI). Attached to this post.
  • A root.zip file (the root script). Attached to this post.
  • A microSD card on your phone formatted FAT32.

What does it do?: The script will install the su binary, busybox and superuser on your phone.

Step 1: Flashing the Custom Recovery UI by XDA.cn

1. Again, make sure your device is S-OFF.
  2. Again, make sure your memory card is formatted FAT32.
  3. Place the PG76IMG.zip file into your phone SD card.
  4. Turn your phone off.
  5. Hold down the "power" button and the "volume down" button for a few seconds till you see the HBOOT screen.
  6. Don't press anything. The system will scan for some files and it will prompt you for an update. Move the cursor to OK (volume up) to start the flashing process.
  7. After it finishes, press the "power" button to restart the system.
  8. Let Android boot and delete the PG76IMG.zip file from your SD card.
  9. Congrats! Custom recovery has been installed. Process to step 2.

Step 2: Flashing the rooting script by XDA.cn

1. Copy the root.zip file into your phone SD card.
  2. Turn your phone off.
  3. Boot into recovery: Hold down the "power" button and the "volume down" button for a few seconds till you see the HBOOT screen. Let it do its thing and then select "RECOVERY".
  4. At the recovery menu, use the volume buttons to select "install zip from sd card".
  5. Then select "choose zip from sd card".
  6. Then find the "root.zip" file on the list.
  7. Select "YES".
  8. Let the script do its thing till you see "Install from sd card completed".
  9. Select "Go Back" on the menu till you find the "power off" option and select it.
  10. Turn your phone back on and let Android boot.

142357twb86rxtjvtejv8e.png

That's it. Superuser will be installed on the phone along with Busybox and the su binary. You will be able allow access to applications needing root permissions now.

Troubleshooting:

Q: Superuser force-closes when an application requests for root permissions.
R: It will not FC when the 1st app requests permissions, but will FC when a 2nd app does. It happened to me on the Bell Canada firmware. It can be fixed by clearing the Superuser application data and then running Superuser from the app drawer. It will request an update of the 'su' binary, and once installed, the error wont ocurr anymore. I guess I could definitely fix this by finding the su binary and packing it into root.zip, but I have no idea of where to find the latest version.

Source: http://bbs.xda.cn/thread-7706280-1-1.html

Enjoy!

---------
androidmodo.com

Thank you for your nice tutorial as well as your time.
Following your tutorial "How to root your HTC Wildfire S" on my Wildfire S (Android 2.3.3), will my current ROM as well as my stuff (programs added after sale, etc) be kept or lost?
By the way is there a program that can make full backup - restore in the case of S-ON devices like mine?

amolji

Feb 22, 2009
Ludhiana
Thank you for your nice tutorial as well as your time.
Following your tutorial "How to root your HTC Wildfire S" on my Wildfire S (Android 2.3.3), will my current ROM as well as my stuff (programs added after sale, etc) be kept or lost?
By the way is there a program that can make full backup - restore in the case of S-ON devices like mine?

1. U have an S-on device you cant root/ flash custom rom unless ur phone is S-off
2.THere are many apps available in market like titanium backup, app backup and install etc.Best app to backup is Titanium backup which is 7$ ( fully unlocked).there a free version with limited functionality too.

soter

Apr 8, 2010
1. U have an S-on device you cant root/ flash custom rom unless ur phone is S-off
2.THere are many apps available in market like titanium backup, app backup and install etc.Best app to backup is Titanium backup which is 7$ ( fully unlocked).there a free version with limited functionality too.

Does that mean that with Titanium Backup I can have full backup of my Phone (Wildfire S, Android 2.3.3) regardless it is S-ON or S-OFF?
Thank you once more for your time.

imlgl

Aug 15, 2010
Norfolk
Titanium backup needs root access, with this phone that means you need S-off to achieve root capabilities. The only app you can backup with without root is mybackup pro.

buber82

Oct 28, 2010
Revolutionary is for BUZZ, older Wildfire !

Wildfire S is MARVEL, no support from them ... noob

m4rk84

May 30, 2010
Great tutorial. Thank you.

The only step i stumbled at was disabling fastboot. For those like me it's in Settings > Power > Disable Fastboot. Simples.

To those freaking out like i was about xtc clips etc, you can rent them off ebay for £10. My local phone shop has one and the fella unlocked my phone and made it s-off. It cost £20 but i think money well spent.

Now all i gotta do is learn to dev roms so this scene doesnt die.

aarun444

Jan 5, 2011
Brther I am using s on HTC wildfire s s on device any chance of rooting

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using XDA App

endolin

Jan 21, 2009
no chance (for now) using the tutorial on a s-on device. you have to s-off your marvel first with xtc-clip.

Aef 101

Sep 1, 2011
Blimey 37 pages and still people are asking the same questions, I'd like to suggest that people read through all relevant threads before asking the same old questions please.

sent using tapatalk

SERGI.3210

Feb 13, 2011
Campanar, Valencia
Turn your phone off. Hold volume down + power button for a couple of seconds till you see a white screen. It should say "S-OFF or S-ON" at the top.

i´m rooting the wildfire s of my wife and the power buton and vol down combination doesnt work for me... i cant see if i´m s-off.. any advise¿?¿?¿?:(
ooops!!! feel like a noob!!! i wasnt desactivated the hot restart option in settings... now i can entr into bootloader,,,,, cheers for me lol

Aef 101

Sep 1, 2011
You need to deactivated fastboot.

Settings, power, fastboot, then try power and volume down buttons again.

sent using tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all, I'd like to thank chlinkchlink for finding out about some rooting instructions on XDA.cn. It has been a pain in the nuts to root this thing but it seems like the chinese folks over there were able to crack it. I am not the author of the script, I'm just putting all this together for everyone to enjoy. Also, thanks to the people of XDA.cn for their work.

I know GingerBreak works on some roms, but recent firmware versions have been fixed to not work with GingerBreak, one example is the Bell Canada firmware variant.

So far this method works on:
    • Stock European ROMs (tested by sammyke007)
    • Bell Canada ROMs (tested by me)
    • Asian ROMs (tested by XDA.cn)
    • T-Mobile ROMs (tested by Tera Tike)

Requirements:

• A Wildfire S with unlocked bootloader or S-OFF. If your bootloader is still locked, head to HTCDev.com to unlock it.
    • A PG76IMG.zip file (custom recovery UI). Attached to this post you will find a custom UI by XDA.cn. Alternatively you can use ClockworkMod Recovery from this post. Whatever zip you use, is fine, but I would totally recommend ClockworkMod for its great features.
    • A root.zip file (the root script). Attached to this post.
    • A microSD card on your phone formatted FAT32.

What does it do?: The script will install the su binary, busybox and superuser on your phone.

NOTE: There is a newer easier methot to root your phone called Unlock Root. Its a one-click root. Read this post for more info.

Step 1: Flashing the Custom Recovery UI by XDA.cn

1. Again, make sure your device is S-OFF.
    2. Again, make sure your memory card is formatted FAT32.
    3. Place the PG76IMG.zip file into your phone SD card.
    4. Disable Fast Boot from your phone settings (Settings > Power > Disable Fastboot)
    5. Turn your phone off.
    6. Hold down the "power" button and the "volume down" button for a few seconds till you see the HBOOT screen.
    7. Don't press anything. The system will scan for some files and it will prompt you for an update. Move the cursor to OK (volume up) to start the flashing process.
    8. After it finishes, press the "power" button to restart the system.
    9. Let Android boot and delete the PG76IMG.zip file from your SD card via USB.
    10. Congrats! Custom recovery has been installed. Process to step 2.

Step 2: Flashing the rooting script by XDA.cn

1. Copy the root.zip file into your phone SD card.
    2. Turn your phone off.
    3. Boot into recovery: Hold down the "power" button and the "volume down" button for a few seconds till you see the HBOOT screen. Let it do its thing and then select "RECOVERY".
    4. At the recovery menu, use the volume buttons to select "install zip from sd card".
    5. Then select "choose zip from sd card".
    6. Then find the "root.zip" file on the list.
    7. Select "YES".
    8. Let the script do its thing till you see "Install from sd card completed".
    9. Select "Go Back" on the menu till you find the "power off" option and select it.
    10. Turn your phone back on and let Android boot.

142357twb86rxtjvtejv8e.png

That's it. Superuser will be installed on the phone along with Busybox and the su binary. You will be able to allow access to applications needing root permissions now.

Troubleshooting:

Q: Superuser force-closes when an application requests for root permissions.
    R: It will not FC when the 1st app requests permissions, but will FC when a 2nd app does. It happened to me on the Bell Canada firmware. It can be fixed by clearing the Superuser application data and then running Superuser from the app drawer. It will request an update of the 'su' binary, and once installed, the error wont ocurr anymore. You can also download the latest Superuser application from the Android Market.

Source: http://bbs.xda.cn/thread-7706280-1-1.html

Enjoy!

---------
    androidmodo.com
    Thanks, that worked perfectly.

Lucky the wildfire S i have here came S-Off :D
    How can i check if it's S-ON or S-OFF ?

Turn your phone off. Hold volume down + power button for a couple of seconds till you see a white screen. It should say "S-OFF or S-ON" at the top.
    THANKS Heritz!

Just rooted US TMOBILE Wildfire S. The only one issue was SuperUser, which all I did was download the current one from the market and reboot.
    Dear All,

I have a HTC Wildfire A510e and I am not sure if it is S-OFF or S-ON.

I tried this method of turning off the phone and then holding the lower volume button and powering up but it does not give me anything and the phone just boots up normally.

Please let me know how I could determing the S-Status

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,
    Guddu

Turn off the fast boot option.
    Settings ==> Power

Greetings