[MOD] MT6577 2GB Data Repartition/ SdCard Swap [HACK], INT2EXT (data2ext)

Search This thread

yuweng

Feb 5, 2012
All MT6577 android phones are 'STILL' plagued by low internal memory issue...
alamak.gif

Credits to X-Dron from russia, now you'll have 2GB of internal storage instead of 512MB with this mod ! :good:

I've included a google direct translated version for the help file, some sentence doesn't make sense but i'm sure you'll figure it out on how to use it...
tongue.gif

X-Dron claim his mod is universal & it can be use on all MT6577... :good:

You can follow the original thread here...

Added on Oct 04, 2012 - SdCard Swap
What the f... , :D you have use up your 2GB Internal Memory & you can't install any more apps...
alamak.gif

Credits to EMF, he found this hack & it is working well on my MT6577... :good:

Originally, this hack by 神族-bpok which install .smssecurity to app folder which is meant for V970 so attach copy here, i've deleted it so that it can be use on any MT6577 via cwmr... :D

Having said that, it is best that you copy your original vold.fstab before installing this hack so that, if anything were to go wrong, you can still revert it back to original state... :p Just open revert2ori.zip with 7zip but don't extract it, drag & drop your original vold.fstab into it & flash via cwmr... :good:

What this hack did is that it swap the mount points at vold.fstab...

Original
Code:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard[COLOR="blue"]2[/COLOR] auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

Hack
Code:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard[COLOR="blue"]2[/COLOR] emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

It is also possible to manual edit vold.fstab as confirmed working by other thread...if it doesn't then power off, take out the battery, wait few sec then put it back & reboot...

If it still doesn't work, you can try manual edit & add 2 to vold.fstab.nand

Original
Code:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

Hack
Code:
dev_mount sdcard[COLOR="Blue"]2[/COLOR] /mnt/sdcard[COLOR="Blue"][B]2[/B][/COLOR] auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

Some report that this works well with 32GB SdCard too ! But make sure to use minimum Class 4 & above... :D

Bravo to the original developer/ hacker...
rclxms.gif

--------------------------------------

Added on Oct 17, 2012 WARNING : MEDIATEK SMART PHONE FLASH TOOL
i've seen far too many times that fellow xda member make this same mistake over & over again, including myself...
tongue.gif

So pls pls people, don't use SP Flash Tool & download ROM not meant for your phone, it will brick it & there is no way to revive it back ! After you have download wrong PRELOADER, your phone will be completely dead, cannot power on, no charging, no recovery, no USB vcom detection & you can say
rip.jpg
to it...

Here is the WARNING again :

NEVER DOWNLOAD ROM NOT MEANT FOR YOUR PHONE. IT WILL BRICK IT !

Added on Dec 02, 2012 - INT2EXT on MT6575 / 77 for the extreme gamers !
Finally found a way to install 200 over games on my MT6577 & i'm sure it will work on MT6575 too... :fingers-crossed:

So here is the updated tut to do that... :D Works on ext 2, 3 or 4... :good:

As usual the credits, without these Master Shifu's sharing, this mod would not be here...
rclxms.gif

int12.jpg

croniccorey
mastermind1024
KarmaToBurn
Added on Jan 03, 2013 - Data Repartition APK for MT6577
Full credits to jaydvn, he has found it, translated it & share with us this super easy to use app...
thumbup.gif

Refer to this post here onwards... ;)

Added on Feb 25, 2013 - Operation to Support & Reward our MTK SoC Developers
Head up to here & show your support...
thumbup_zpse78dc2e0.gif

Added on June 26, 2013 - How to use your 64GB Micro SDXC for Android-powered smartphone that supports only up to 32GB
Found an interesting article here but i haven't try it b'cos i don't have a 64GB Micro SDXC... :D

Its in Russian so use Google Chrome built-in translations, it makes more sense... :laugh:

Its for people who already had a 64GB SDXC to try out, anyone care enough to report back whether it works... :fingers-crossed:
Added on Dec 12, 2013 - MT6589 MBR, EBR1, EBR2 explained
MT6589 MBR, EBR1, EBR2 are the least explained thanks to Master Shifu nightcraw for the detail explanations, i'm a complete zero when it comes to Hex calculations...
ag_zps1e5a29ec.gif

Original idea by JohnnyInBriz i've requested Master Shifu nightcraw to edit it so here it is, all formula already setup so you can resize cache, android system, usrdata, fat & it will let you know what to edit to the MBR & EBR....
rclxms_zps452ba9d3.gif

Hopefully it will be useful to those DYI'er who wants to resize partition themselves & mod at your own risk... :laugh:
Added on Dec 25, 2013 - MoreApp.apk
This mod was shared at another forum but under constant spamming...
alamak_zps2e31ed77.gif

Not to waste a good mod by Master Shifu Michfood here is the link... :good:

WARNING : Make a backup first. This mod will shift all apps to sdcard ./android_secure & therefore freeing all internal space & CWMR/ TWRP does backup it too... :cowboy:

Attachments

• MTK6577_Data_Repartition.7z
    187.3 KB · Views: 15,448
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 10,654
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 9,632
  • revert2ori.zip
    125.6 KB · Views: 7,674
Last edited:

cybermaus

Dec 6, 2008
Earth
www.campingtiveden.se
Hi yuweng

Nice trick, though not new to me. The reason I did not describe this in my thread is because in Settings->Storage, you can simply choose which SD card is used, internal or external. (internal one is called USB). No hacking of fstab needed

But I see soo many people doing this, or other tricks, I start to wonder: Maybe the settings->storage choice is only on Lenovo? Do you not have this on other MT657x phones? Or are people just looking passed the build in selection?

PS: your other tutorial, on retrieving a scatter file and recovery image from a phone, is really good. I will use that if I ever get a phone for which there is no ROM yet.

Last edited:

yuweng

Feb 5, 2012
Wow,
worthy.gif
Master Shifu cybermaus dropping by to my thread, really honor to have you here... :D

Haha, i'm one of those who like to keep all my games all at the phone & this is where this hack comes in... :good: So far that i've tried, even it is set to SD card, the internal memory will keep on decreasing, while with this sdswap hack, preferred install location set to Phone Storage(its swap now), i've installed more than 2GB games & internal storage stay the same size... :laugh: Kudos to the developers of android games, Wow, those recent games graphics are really amazing & some are really addictive too...
tongue.gif

Learn that trick from Master Shifu bgcngm blogspot, discovered it can be use on MT6577 too, however its start address is offset for MT6577... :D

apad

Dec 5, 2007
Batu Caves
It's work!

I managed to successfully root my EASTCOM W5500 One X with this tutorial. But, 7z.exe needed to be updated to latest version (for my case, Windows 7 64bit). Other run well. Superuser reported working well. Adfree works as expected. So, I deleted all Chinese apps and make it feel stock.

Next step: create a custom rom for my device :fingers-crossed:

update (22/10/2012) : Error flashing zip file, back to kitchen..

Last edited:
Reactions: adipermana

yuweng

Feb 5, 2012
But, 7z.exe needed to be updated to latest version (for my case, Windows 7 64bit).
haha, been using x86 earlier b'cos of driver compatibility issue but now also lazy to upgrade...
tongue.gif

Yeoh bro, for Android Kitchen to work on MT6577, you'll need 'curi ayam' patching... :D

There are so many MT6577 out there, to update edify_defs for all model is crazy... :eek:

After extraction at AK, go to ADVANCED OPTIONS -> Convert update-script or updater-script -> Convert update-script to updater-script (Edify)

Then go to AK -> tools\update_files folder, copy emmc-update-binary to WORKING folder \META-INF\com\google\android, delete existing copy & rename emmc-update-binary to update-binary

Open updater-script with Notepad++ & delete the 2nd & 3rd line & add the following to the 2nd line & save it...

Code:
format("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p3");
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p3", "/system");

Build ROM from working folder & Voila, you'll have Android Kitchen working on MT6577 & i believe it will work on MT6575 too... :fingers-crossed:

If you need to add apps/ games to WORKING folder /data/app then you will need the below...

Code:
format("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p5");
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p5", "/data");
package_extract_dir("data", "/data");
set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0777, 0777, "/data");

AK will works with either system.img or system.ext4.tar but *.tar will take a longer time to decode symlink...
tongue.gif

As usual, wipe data/ factory reset first before installing ur newly created update.zip... :eek:

Actually you don't need to format statement also at updater-script since you already manually done it... :D

apad

Dec 5, 2007
Batu Caves
Thanks for the guide but still got no time to continue the custom rom. Will update once I got time ;)

Sent from my W5500 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Hi yuweng

Nice trick, though not new to me. The reason I did not describe this in my thread is because in Settings->Storage, you can simply choose which SD card is used, internal or external. (internal one is called USB). No hacking of fstab needed

But I see soo many people doing this, or other tricks, I start to wonder: Maybe the settings->storage choice is only on Lenovo? Do you not have this on other MT657x phones? Or are people just looking passed the build in selection?

PS: your other tutorial, on retrieving a scatter file and recovery image from a phone, is really good. I will use that if I ever get a phone for which there is no ROM yet.

I can confirm that this option is not working on my MTK6577 One X. tried few time, but still store on phone storage instead of sd card

Reactions: adipermana

androidnyubi

Aug 8, 2012

alamak.gif

Credits to X-Dron from russia, now you'll have 2GB of internal storage instead of 512MB with this mod ! :good:

I've included a google direct translated version for the help file, some sentence doesn't make sense but i'm sure you'll figure it out on how to use it...
tongue.gif

What the f... , :D you have use up your 2GB Internal Memory & you can't install any more apps...
alamak.gif

Originally, this hack by 神族-bpok which install .smssecurity to app folder which is meant for V970 so attach copy here, i've deleted it so that it can be use on any MT6577 via cwmr... :D

Having said that, it is best that you copy your original vold.fstab before installing this hack so that, if anything were to go wrong, you can still revert it back to original state... :p Just open revert2ori.zip with 7zip but don't extract it, drag & drop your original vold.fstab into it & flash via cwmr... :good:

Original
Code:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard[COLOR="blue"]2[/COLOR] auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

Hack
Code:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard[COLOR="blue"]2[/COLOR] emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

It is also possible to manual edit vold.fstab as confirmed working by other thread...if it doesn't then power off, take out the battery, wait few sec then put it back & reboot...

Original
Code:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

Hack
Code:
dev_mount sdcard[COLOR="Blue"]2[/COLOR] /mnt/sdcard[COLOR="Blue"][B]2[/B][/COLOR] auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

Some report that this works well with 32GB SdCard too ! But make sure to use minimum Class 4 & above... :D

rclxms.gif

i've seen far too many times that fellow xda member make this same mistake over & over again, including myself...
tongue.gif

So pls pls people, don't use SP Flash Tool & download ROM not meant for your phone, it will brick it & there is no way to revive it back ! After you have download wrong PRELOADER, your phone will be completely dead, cannot power on, no charging, no recovery, no USB vcom detection & you can say
rip.jpg
to it...

awesome, i was looking for this tutorial, to repartition my umi x1 mtk6577 , thanks, but i don't want the sdcard swap, only want to delete emmc partition

so its only the first file needed to flash using cmw right? or i can edit the vold.fstab on my own rom

rip.jpg
to it...

Just to let you know...

I have a GooPhone Y5 .. and I have actually tried to flash my phone with the Zopo Z100 or Z200 (I don't remember) ..

The phone went dead.. BUT.. After installing the preloader driver for the Zopo device (just like a did for the GooPhone before first use of FlashTool) I was able to use FlashTool again.. and back on GooPhone ROM

Reactions: yuweng

yuweng

Feb 5, 2012
@androidnyubi
Yes, just use the MTK6577_Data_Repartition.7z by X-Dron. However, found out lately, most users doesn't have factory ROM & they started modding this & that which is very dangerous... :D Use MTK Droid Tool by russian Master Shifu rua1 to backup your whole ROM with it... :good: There is an option there to create scatter.txt so you can revert it back when needed... :good:
@whitetigerdk
Wow, this is a good find... :good: it means MT6575/ 77 is 'unbrickable' after all... :D

Last edited:

androidnyubi

Aug 8, 2012
thanks yuweng, this umi x1 actualy my 1st mtk based android, confusing which hack compatible with this chip hehe..

Sent from my HTC Desire V using xda app-developers app

jaydvn

Jul 4, 2011
Repartition APP for MT657x (Need root)

This app helps you have up to 3GB internal storage (Data Partition) <DOWNLOAD>
*Phone must me rooted.
*Run the app > Choose the size of data partition you want (I choosed 3GB ("Bộ nhớ 3GB, bỏ thẻ SD trong" in app's menu) because after swap sdcard, i feel internal SDcard is useless).
*Then Reboot to Recovery ("Khởi động máy vào Recovery" in menu).
*Once rebooted to Recovery> wipe data/factory reset.
*After reboot, you will have the size of data partition you want.
-Good luck!
-Sorry for my bad English!
-App's language is in Vietnamese

Last edited:

yuweng

Feb 5, 2012
Yeoh bro, i've unpack it & notice it is actually replacing the EBR1 & MBR... :eek:

i suggest that you get Sir.nguyenhaiduongbk or phi.long to translate it to English first before sharing it here as no one else will benefit from it... :laugh:

And please include an English Readme.txt on how to use it too... :D

Last edited:

jaydvn

Jul 4, 2011
Yeoh bro, i've unpack it & notice it is actually replacing the EBR1 & MBR... :eek:

i suggest that you get Sir.nguyenhaiduongbk or phi.long to translate it to English first before sharing it here as no one else will benefit from it... :laugh:

Ok bro, i think this app does the same way with yours, just replace ebr1, i'll ask them to translate it to english then share after.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

Can i ask you one more question, i use android kitchen to make update.zip of rom, but after flash the zip file, my wifi can't be turned on, do you know it because of boot.img or updater-script?

Reactions: gtn55943

yuweng

Feb 5, 2012
Yeoh Bro, did a full test & it is working great, thank you so much for sharing...
thumbup.gif

[Original Size] [500MB] [1GB] [2GB] [2.5GB] [3GB]

However, Factory Reset at TWRP show error but it works after reboot. CWMR Wipe Data/ Factory Reset no error... :eek:
Can i ask you one more question, i use android kitchen to make update.zip of rom, but after flash the zip file, my wifi can't be turned on, do you know it because of boot.img or updater-script?
That problem was solved by Master Shifu dsixda since version 2.14 b'cos of symlink problem, refer to Release Notes here...

llinde

Nov 16, 2012
[Added on Oct 17, 2012 WARNING : MEDIATEK SMART PHONE FLASH TOOL
tongue.gif

rip.jpg
to it...

Does this mean that if I want to try a new ROM it is better to leave the original PRELOADER in its place or am I saying something stupid now....:confused:
I tried to find what exactly is the function of each part of the firmware but cannot find an easy to understand description.
I guess some of the parts of a ROM are very machine dependent and others are more general.
It would be nice if somebody could describe relations and dependencies of the different parts.

Luit

jaydvn

Jul 4, 2011
Yeoh Bro, did a full test & it is working great, thank you so much for sharing...
thumbup.gif

However, Factory Reset at TWRP show error but it works after reboot. CWMR Wipe Data/ Factory Reset no error... :eek:

That problem was solved by Master Shifu dsixda since version 2.14 b'cos of symlink problem, refer to Release Notes here...

I've already updated kitchen to 2.18 but still no wifi after flash update.zip. my device's board is 'signal77_ics2', maybe I'll try to rename some files in edify_defs folder to make kitchen define my device. Thanks.

aries1dcrn

Jan 10, 2007
it doesnt sink in to me yet

could someone explain further.

i have
1gb rom internal mem
16gb internal sd
2gb external micro sd (the removable one)

what will happen to them?

i cannot figure out a way to open the phone to replace the external sd.

thank you!:good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    alamak.gif

tongue.gif

alamak.gif

Original
    Code:

Hack
    Code:

Original
    Code:

Hack
    Code:

rclxms.gif

tongue.gif

rip.jpg
    to it...

Added on Dec 02, 2012 - INT2EXT on MT6575 / 77 for the extreme gamers !
    Finally found a way to install 200 over games on my MT6577 & i'm sure it will work on MT6575 too... :fingers-crossed:

So here is the updated tut to do that... :D Works on ext 2, 3 or 4... :good:

As usual the credits, without these Master Shifu's sharing, this mod would not be here...
    rclxms.gif

int12.jpg

croniccorey
    mastermind1024
    KarmaToBurn
    Added on Jan 03, 2013 - Data Repartition APK for MT6577
    Full credits to jaydvn, he has found it, translated it & share with us this super easy to use app...
    thumbup.gif

Refer to this post here onwards... ;)

Added on Feb 25, 2013 - Operation to Support & Reward our MTK SoC Developers
    Head up to here & show your support...
    thumbup_zpse78dc2e0.gif

Added on June 26, 2013 - How to use your 64GB Micro SDXC for Android-powered smartphone that supports only up to 32GB
    Found an interesting article here but i haven't try it b'cos i don't have a 64GB Micro SDXC... :D

Its in Russian so use Google Chrome built-in translations, it makes more sense... :laugh:

Its for people who already had a 64GB SDXC to try out, anyone care enough to report back whether it works... :fingers-crossed:
    Added on Dec 12, 2013 - MT6589 MBR, EBR1, EBR2 explained
    MT6589 MBR, EBR1, EBR2 are the least explained thanks to Master Shifu nightcraw for the detail explanations, i'm a complete zero when it comes to Hex calculations...
    ag_zps1e5a29ec.gif

Original idea by JohnnyInBriz i've requested Master Shifu nightcraw to edit it so here it is, all formula already setup so you can resize cache, android system, usrdata, fat & it will let you know what to edit to the MBR & EBR....
    rclxms_zps452ba9d3.gif

Hopefully it will be useful to those DYI'er who wants to resize partition themselves & mod at your own risk... :laugh:
    Added on Dec 25, 2013 - MoreApp.apk
    This mod was shared at another forum but under constant spamming...
    alamak_zps2e31ed77.gif

Not to waste a good mod by Master Shifu Michfood here is the link... :good:

WARNING : Make a backup first. This mod will shift all apps to sdcard ./android_secure & therefore freeing all internal space & CWMR/ TWRP does backup it too... :cowboy:
    Translated Repartition APP

I've translated Data Repartition Tool to English <DOWNLOAD>
    Hope you enjoy it!
    But, 7z.exe needed to be updated to latest version (for my case, Windows 7 64bit).
    haha, been using x86 earlier b'cos of driver compatibility issue but now also lazy to upgrade...
    tongue.gif

Yeoh bro, for Android Kitchen to work on MT6577, you'll need 'curi ayam' patching... :D

There are so many MT6577 out there, to update edify_defs for all model is crazy... :eek:

After extraction at AK, go to ADVANCED OPTIONS -> Convert update-script or updater-script -> Convert update-script to updater-script (Edify)

Then go to AK -> tools\update_files folder, copy emmc-update-binary to WORKING folder \META-INF\com\google\android, delete existing copy & rename emmc-update-binary to update-binary

Open updater-script with Notepad++ & delete the 2nd & 3rd line & add the following to the 2nd line & save it...

Code:

Build ROM from working folder & Voila, you'll have Android Kitchen working on MT6577 & i believe it will work on MT6575 too... :fingers-crossed:

If you need to add apps/ games to WORKING folder /data/app then you will need the below...

Code:
    format("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p5");
    mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p5", "/data");
    package_extract_dir("data", "/data");
    set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0777, 0777, "/data");

AK will works with either system.img or system.ext4.tar but *.tar will take a longer time to decode symlink...
    tongue.gif

As usual, wipe data/ factory reset first before installing ur newly created update.zip... :eek:

Actually you don't need to format statement also at updater-script since you already manually done it... :D
    Repartition APP for MT657x (Need root)

This app helps you have up to 3GB internal storage (Data Partition) <DOWNLOAD>
    *Phone must me rooted.
    *Run the app > Choose the size of data partition you want (I choosed 3GB ("Bộ nhớ 3GB, bỏ thẻ SD trong" in app's menu) because after swap sdcard, i feel internal SDcard is useless).
    *Then Reboot to Recovery ("Khởi động máy vào Recovery" in menu).
    *Once rebooted to Recovery> wipe data/factory reset.
    *After reboot, you will have the size of data partition you want.
    -Good luck!
    -Sorry for my bad English!
    -App's language is in Vietnamese
    thumbup.gif