Galaxy Note: ATT vs International - review

Search This thread

tefloncoated

Dec 13, 2011
NYC
Just had a chance to play with the ATT Note.

Lots of bloatware! ATT promotional stuff and apps. Garbage.

One and only major physical difference i saw was the screen border - it is not flat like the International Note (IN), has a bit of a lip.

The ATT Note UI is super fast in stock form, seems a bit faster than my heavily modded IN (root, themed launcher and custom kernel)

It did shine with the network speeds. I'm in NYC and compared two Notes next to each other. My IN got less than 1Mb on HSPA+ and ATT Note got 10+ Mb on 4G LTE.

02/23/12 - UPDATE:

As of this 2/20/12, I have both the International and ATT versions of the Note. I will post a short video review of both tomorrow.

The International is rooted of course, with Rocket Rom v21 and Abyss kernel.
The ATT version is stock.

Both have same exact set up configurations, Widget locker, Go launcher and pretty much the same number of apps installed.

Some more quick observations after playing with both for a few days:

Pros:
-LTE speed. It's amazing, compared to HSPA+ or even to WiFi! i get 11-13 Mbps down and 8-10 Mbps up in NYC where my International Note was barely getting 1 Mbps up and .8 down... In NJ i am getting 20Mbps speeds, which is faster than my WiFi at home.
-ATT version is very smooth. I cannot comment on any lag.
-Battery life is VERY much comparable! I get about 3 hours of screen on time from both devices. Seems there is a difference of opinions on this one, so lets get more input from "dual" users.
-The amount of bloatware was slightly exaggerated - there is only a handful of ATT pre-installed apps and i was able to uninstall at least one of them just like a regular user app - no root access needed.

Cons:
- Lack of Video Editor. I ported the International .apk, but the install could not complete. Could be fixable by a custom rom cook.
- Lack of FM radio. I ported the International .apk, was able to install and run the app, but there is no sound. This must be the kernel limitation, as the chip should be able to support it. Could be fixed with custom kernel.
- Lack of screen mode selection - Dynamic, Standard, Movie. (available on International Note) Could probably be solved in a custom rom
- Some funky performance of the lock screen - does not always appear as expected and i can get right to the home screen.
- Some funky performance of the wallpaper - come wallpapers dont scroll, others do. Some get grossly zoomed in when installed, others dont.

While the last two points are relatively minor, as they could be attributed to a config issue with the actual software, the first two cons can be deal breaker for some people.

The LTE speed is definitely a huge selling point that can help overlook the cons.

02/24/12 - UPDATE:

Added: a side by side video comparison of two Galaxy Notes - International HSPA+ GT-N7000 vs US AT&T 4G LTE I717:

http://youtu.be/V6Jnl1xV3i8

Last edited:

SysAdmNj

Jun 29, 2010
Thats good news. A fast stock at&t UI compared to your rooted/custom rommed one seems hard to believe though, or should I say sounds too good to be true.

Reactions: GeezyF.Ladies

slaydog

Dec 14, 2009
Maybe Samsung has done some further tinkering to it. I know the international version was pretty laggy at first, so I'm glad the US version doesn't seem to be.
Don't care so much about the benchmarks, just how it looks, feels and performs, but please let us know how it stacks up anyway!

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

Reactions: mike21pr

droidal

Jul 12, 2010
Saint Louis
From the videos it looks like they both have a lip. I guess it's just the band around it.

First thing I'm gonna do is put all those ATT icons in a folder then hope for root.

One and only major physical difference i saw was the screen border - it is not flat like the International Note (IN), has a bit of a lip.

The ATT Note UI is super fast in stock form, seems a bit faster than my heavily modded IN (root, themed launcher and custom kernel)

It did shine with the network speeds. I'm in NYC and compared two Notes next to each other. My IN got less than 1Mb on HSPA+ and ATT Note got 10+ Mb on 4G LTE.

Apo11on

Sep 5, 2008
San Diego, CA

Can you do a full system dump, so we could get a head start on rooting and room cooking?

ekerbuddyeker

i own both and am running side by side comparisons. Antutu score was BETTER on the AT&T note. that surprised me. Quadrant on the AY&T was 1950 but for some reason its still higher than the international. could be that both are loaded with over 100 apps, but that is a real life situation so very relevant.

initial impressions are that the AT&T note is smoother to use! cant explain why. i have them set up identically. its simply more sfluid and responsive. i am also getitng about 35mb in manhattan on LTE.

another BIG difference is the sound. Speaker on the AT&T FAR BETTER than the international. regualr ear is about the same, perhaps a little louder on the at&T. I reckon its because the processor is designed for this network.

anyway I am very happy.

greyhulk

Jan 14, 2009

You can remove a lot of the AT&T bloatware, although not all of it. It's odd which programs they won't let you uninstall. It pisses me off that they always rom lock Telenav. Who the hell uses that on an Android device.

There are two applications that the International version has that the AT&T doesn't: Photo and Video editor. I really want the Video editor. I wonder why they cut these. I'm hoping someone can get the APKs off of the international version and they will work.

Reactions: SMARTPHONEPC

ekerbuddyeker

Video seems much worse on the at&t. On this I am really disappointed. Could be a deal killer for me. The international could take anything you threw at it. Here I have to use mx video player in software mode to make it go smoothly. More work to be done here. Anyone else found the same?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA App

NR017

Feb 17, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Too much bloatware!

I thought this phone was suppose to have 16GB of internal storage? All I see is 1.74 GB. Did all that bloatware occupied that much space?

planoman

Nov 30, 2010
Plano, Texas
Too much bloatware!

I thought this phone was suppose to have 16GB of internal storage? All I see is 1.74 GB. Did all that bloatware occupied that much space?

The memory is allocated between apps and internal USB storage. I think like 2 GB is dedicated to Apps and the rest to in the internal USB storage. Hit the task manager and then storage to see how it is allocated.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

The only bloatware apparently that isn't unistallable is ypmobile. Literally everything else I have been able to uninstall

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

You were able to uninstall all the ATT apps? City ID, AP Mobile, ATT Code Scanner, ATT Navigator, ATT ready 2 go, featured apps etc?

WOW!

kiltedthrower

Sep 23, 2010
Wait. It doesn't have 16gb allocated to app storage?! If I only have 2gb for app storage, this phone is going back as soon as I pick it up.

planoman

Nov 30, 2010
Plano, Texas
Wait. It doesn't have 16gb allocated to app storage?! If I only have 2gb for app storage, this phone is going back as soon as I pick it up.

That is a ton of memory for apps. You can also move Apps to the SD card if you get one. The other memory is if you do not want to get a Micro SD you can store your music, photos, video etc. I probaby have 60 apps and that is less than 500 MB.

kotaro_14

Jul 8, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga
ekerbuddyeker said:
i own both and am running side by side comparisons. Antutu score was BETTER on the AT&T note. that surprised me. Quadrant on the AY&T was 1950 but for some reason its still higher than the international. could be that both are loaded with over 100 apps, but that is a real life situation so very relevant.

initial impressions are that the AT&T note is smoother to use! cant explain why. i have them set up identically. its simply more sfluid and responsive. i am also getitng about 35mb in manhattan on LTE.

another BIG difference is the sound. Speaker on the AT&T FAR BETTER than the international. regualr ear is about the same, perhaps a little louder on the at&T. I reckon its because the processor is designed for this network.

anyway I am very happy.

How is Quadrant higher on the ATT Note if it's 1950? On stock international it's around 3600. And what score did you get on Antutu?

Sent from my GT-i9220 using Forum Runner

NR017

Feb 17, 2012
San Antonio, TX
The memory is allocated between apps and internal USB storage. I think like 2 GB is dedicated to Apps and the rest to in the internal USB storage. Hit the task manager and then storage to see how it is allocated.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

You were able to uninstall all the ATT apps? City ID, AP Mobile, ATT Code Scanner, ATT Navigator, ATT ready 2 go, featured apps etc?

WOW!

Yeah, 2 GB it looks like and yeah, I was able to uninstall those AT&T bloats too

welchertc

Jan 13, 2011

In addition to what planoman said, I'm almost positive this is what basically every android phone has. Nothing to freak out about. Like he said, 2gb is plenty, and there's the app2sd option. If you fill 2gb with apps you have a fack-ton of apps. Haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

anyway I am very happy.
    Here you go folks: a side by side comparison of two Galaxy Notes - International HSPA+ GT-N7000 vs US AT&T 4G LTE I717

People comparing exynos to snapdragon are getting a bit ridiculous. Its a processor in a phone. It makes almost no difference in day to day practical use unless you take pleasure in jerking off over benchmark apps.

The whole LTE drains battery is stupid too. I'm overclocked to 1.8 Ghz, with LTE on. Guess how long my battery lasts with moderate use? 26 hours with medium to heavy usage. God forbid I use juice defender, underclock, or turn off my live wallpaper.

Hardware home button? Your opinion, can't argue with that. I personally don't want my phone looking like something from Apple.

But hey, can't please everyone, can you?

Sent from my SGH-I717R using xda premium

02/23/12 - UPDATE:

As of this 2/20/12, I have both the International and ATT versions of the Note. I will post a short video review of both tomorrow.

Both have same exact set up configurations, Widget locker, Go launcher and pretty much the same number of apps installed.

Pros:
    -LTE speed. It's amazing, compared to HSPA+ or even to WiFi! i get 11-13 Mbps down and 8-10 Mbps up in NYC where my International Note was barely getting 1 Mbps up and .8 down... In NJ i am getting 20Mbps speeds, which is faster than my WiFi at home.
    -Battery life is VERY much comparable! I get about 3 hours of screen on time from both devices. Seems there is a difference of opinions on this one, so lets get more input from "dual" users.
    -The amount of bloatware was slightly exaggerated - there is only a handful of ATT pre-installed apps and i was able to uninstall at least one of them just like a regular user app - no root access needed.

Cons:
    - Lack of Video Editor. I ported the International .apk, but the install could not complete. Could be fixable by a custom rom cook.
    - Lack of FM radio. I ported the International .apk, was able to install and run the app, but there is no sound. This must be the kernel limitation, as the chip should be able to support it. Could be fixed with custom kernel.
    - Lack of screen mode selection - Dynamic, Standard, Movie. (available on International Note) Could probably be solved in a custom rom
    - Some funky performance of the lock screen - does not always appear as expected and i can get right to the home screen.
    - Some funky performance of the wallpaper - come wallpapers dont scroll, others do. Some get grossly zoomed in when installed, others dont.

While the last two points are relatively minor, as they could be attributed to a config issue with the actual software, the first two cons can be deal breaker for some people.

The LTE speed is definitely a huge selling point that can help overlook the cons.

02/24/12 - UPDATE:

Added: a side by side video comparison of two Galaxy Notes - International HSPA+ GT-N7000 vs US AT&T 4G LTE I717:

Pros:
    -Battery life is VERY much comparable! I get about 3 hours of screen on time from both devices.

Cons:

Good stuff. I have both also. I agree with everything you said except the battery life. My IV gets much better battery life which I expected. I am almost concerned about the ATT Gnote. Luckily, I have a Mugen if I need it! :) Since I updated my IV to LB1 this week it is even faster than LA4! Both are stock and set up exactly the same way. I am certain ICS is coming soon to the international! LTE is very fast in Dallas but luckily my home wifi is faster. The most data I have used is 1.8 GB and that was the first month I had LTE back in November. Probably all the speed tests I did!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA App