[ICS][AOKP/Gummy/CNA/CM9 Kang] Discussion Thread

Search This thread

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
What ROM/kernel are you running? I have had terrible battery life since switching to AOKP a few months ago. With almost no phone usage, wifi & mobile data off most of the day, my battery might last 10-12 hours from a full charge. It used to go 2 days on the stock GB ROM. I am running AOKP 40 w/ Devil 0.99. There has been some discussion of battery life in the AOKP thread, but every time someone brings it up, everyone jumps on them and tells them it is just their usage habits that cause short battery life. I don't believe that, as I do not use my phone much all day while at work. The battery stats say that the Android OS is by far the biggest consumer of battery. That tells me it is the ROM or kernel. I am not using LiveOC or doing anything fancy with the settings. Also, I am using an 1800mAh battery already. Other than trying a newer version of the ROM and/or kernel, what can I do? I had trouble restoring apps when I tried to flash AOKP MS6, so I just stuck with 40 because I don't have any problems other than poor battery life.

I think you misunderstood whats being said...my fascinate gets good battery life while powered on. However, since upgrading to the gs3, my fascinate discharges a full charge in a day when powered off(Never knew this because I never left it off for a full day before). Pretty sure Tonu has the same issue.

NPOA556

Jan 4, 2012
I think you misunderstood whats being said...my fascinate gets good battery life while powered on. However, since upgrading to the gs3, my fascinate discharges a full charge in a day when powered off(Never knew this because I never left it off for a full day before). Pretty sure Tonu has the same issue.

Sorry for the confusion. That is really strange, Obviously I can't offer any insight into that issue.

Regardless, I would still like some help/suggestions with my battery life problem. I just checked battery stats and saw that Android OS has used 53%. With screen and data off, I will lose ~8-10% an hour. I know that is not normal, and others do not seem to experiencing this. Do I just need to flash something else and see if it fixes it? Are there some settings that would have a big impact? Like I said, I am not overclocking or doing anything fancy for extreme performance. I could list all settings if it would be helpful.

tonu42

Nov 14, 2010
You also got a gs3? than this is mega weird, I'e never heard of such a thing like this before any where.

UPDATE: Heres a temp fix. I turned off my device, pulled battery, reinserted, next day over night it was at full battery.

Last edited:

jawman27

Jan 14, 2012
Regardless, I would still like some help/suggestions with my battery life problem.

I've had good battery life ever since first rooting my phone, so I'll share again what I always do. On stock, my battery was good for 10 to 12 hours of light to moderate use. I now regularly go 2 days between charges. You can see my ROM history in my signature, and it has been true across the board. To be clear, I don't always have good battery life upon flashing a new ROM, but these techniques always straighten me out.

1. Flash clean on a full battery.
2. Play with the phone, apps, etc. to get it set up how I want it.
3. Wipe battery stats in CWM.
4. Run the phone all the way down until it shuts down on its own (Tower defense games on a bright screen will help this along).
5. Leaving phone off, I charge it all the way up.
6. Once fully charged, I unplug the charger for a bit and then plug it in again, it will charge some more.
7. Play with the phone, let it run down all the way again until it shuts down on its own.
8. Repeat steps 5 and 6.

Now, I'm fully aware that this may have some detrimental effect on the long term life of my battery, but I've been doing this for about a year with great results. The phone is two years old, and those monster SGS2 aftermarket batteries only run $20 a pair. If this one gives out one day, I'll get over it pretty fast.

P.S. I've been using Neh4pres's AOKP auto brightness settings since he posted them, and I've had nothing but great results.

endomatic

Feb 23, 2012
Hey can some post to Steve his 3.1 test with his kernel everything work except the compass seems to be off by 180° even after multiple calibrations.
Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda premium

Reactions: Stephen.k.spear

endomatic

Feb 23, 2012
Got it thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Steve,
A couple more things I have noticed. In call volumes are funky. Very week initially after install to the point that I had to use Tasker to get the volume to where I could hear it. I seem to recall some tweak back on ICS where you could change the volume via terminal to turn it down, but now I need to turn it up....
Wifi is flaky (on and off) and doesn't seems to always coincide with phone idle.
Other than that is seems pretty sweet and stable.
I'll be sending a twelve pack your way soon......

Cheers

icemanwbs

Aug 25, 2011
Pennsylvania
I am currently on M6.....fassy.....I should be able to flash JB and the JB GAPPS through the recovery ( wiping all three of course ) correct?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda app-developers app

NPOA556

Jan 4, 2012
I've had good battery life ever since first rooting my phone, so I'll share again what I always do. On stock, my battery was good for 10 to 12 hours of light to moderate use. I now regularly go 2 days between charges. You can see my ROM history in my signature, and it has been true across the board. To be clear, I don't always have good battery life upon flashing a new ROM, but these techniques always straighten me out.

1. Flash clean on a full battery.
2. Play with the phone, apps, etc. to get it set up how I want it.
3. Wipe battery stats in CWM.
4. Run the phone all the way down until it shuts down on its own (Tower defense games on a bright screen will help this along).
5. Leaving phone off, I charge it all the way up.
6. Once fully charged, I unplug the charger for a bit and then plug it in again, it will charge some more.
7. Play with the phone, let it run down all the way again until it shuts down on its own.
8. Repeat steps 5 and 6.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give your routine a try. If it improves it, that would indicate that it is not an issue of ROM settings but, rather, a battery calibration issue.

endomatic

Feb 23, 2012
Steve,
tests on jb_fascinate_test4

wifi works
3g data works
SMS work on both WIFI and 3G
MMS borked on both
GPS works both on Verizons system and off (Mtn Biking last night)
Edit: compass still borked
Overall impressions are good for test4. the WIFI 3g bars are still flaky. WIFI worked well on M^ at work with a weak signal, but on JB it will toggle back and forth between 3g and WIFI and when I look in settings I get the "Temporarily avoiding weak signal" message...

Keep up the good work.
Cheers

Last edited:

endomatic

Feb 23, 2012
Steve Spear
One other thing on JB test4.
I have dropped more calls today than any time in the past . Radio is EH03

NPOA556

Jan 4, 2012
Problems when restoring user apps + data from TiBu

I don't have enough posts to post this in the Dev forum, so I hope somebody is reading this one. I am running AOKP 40 with Devil 1.1.0. I tried a few weeks ago and again today to install AOKP MS6. I started from scratch, going all the way back to stock, then THS build 2, then AOKP MS6. All of that works just fine. But after I restore my user apps + data (NO SYSTEM DATA), every single app FCs with a message about bad data. I have tried making a new backup with TiBu in case the first one was corrupt or something. Same problem. I did not have the problem when first switching from GB to AOKP, so I think my process is OK. I have looked around the forums and haven't found anything I am missing. What gives? The only reason I even want to switch ROMs is that my video camera doesn't work on AOKP 40. Is there a setting in TiBu that will fix this restore problem? Is there something special about MS6 that makes TiBu backups from older versions of AOKP incompatible with it? If I can't get this working, I will have to nandroid back and will be stuck on AOKP 40 with no video camera forever.

Edit: OK, so I bit the bullet and installed MS6 and manually restored all my settings. TiBu was able to restore apps w/o data. My video camera worked. For a day. When I switch it from camera mode to video mode, the image goes black. If I press the record button, the camera app FCs. Any suggestions for how to fix this? Thanks!

Last edited:

Merman1983

Jul 23, 2007
Electric Ladyland
Chillin' like Bob Dylan on m6 and plan to do so till JB gets a bit more settled down (maybe - it's hard not to bleed on the edge).

I love that AOKP has integrated weather, but I really wish I could updated the weather icons. Apparently, it's not all that hard to inject them using a tool such a Zipthemer, but I guess I'm just a bit scared to give it a try. Does anyone know of any replacement icons compatible with m6 that would be easily flashable? I'd love to have the Tick icons found in these two RW threads on the subject:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19897-mod-hd-weather-icons-for-aokp-dropdown-and-lockscreen/

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/23721-weather-panel-icons/page__hl__+weather++icons

jmuscat2

Feb 28, 2011
Missed phone calls

Sorry I don't have enough posts to post in the developer section. I am running AOKP Jelly Bean August 11 2012 version. I am missing phone calls. The phone never rings it just goes to voice mail and the missed call symbol pops up. I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I wiped the big three while installing the ROM. The kernel is the kernel that came with the ROM and the modem is EH03.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    its built in glitch kernel...use terminal to access it. For the bazillionth time :p............type this below and make sure to hit enter after each entry:

"su"
    "callboost enable"

enter these numbers

This will give you a good starting point...

Thanks for giving a good starting point.. This is OP material

You know, if enough people have great success with those numbers, i might consider building them in as the kernel defaults...what do you all think?
    I must say that steve and team glitch are really doing amazing things on this device!!! The latest bigmem test.zip is freaking amazing to say the least..what little lag I was experiencing is now a thing of the past with 200+mb of ram free. I dont remember this much ram being available since powerwash froyo days. GOOD JOB FELLAS!!!!
    Long live the fascinate!
    Long live Team Glitch!

Sent from my Glitched AOKP Unicorn.
    As a work-around for the Torch issue, download an app called Tiny Flashlight + LED from the market. Here's a link that I think will work: https://market.android.com/details?...1bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5kZXZ1bmkuZmxhc2hsaWdodCJd

It's top-notch. The strobe functionality and morse code stuff even works, which is a first on my Fascinate at least. I'll probably stick with this over the in-ROM torch app unless the latter starts working and knocks my socks off.
    thanks for the info
    yeah its a TW based rom and I have no idea what i'm getting into... how would i go about flashing? is there voodoo (or that doesnt work for these roms?)

No..there isn't a voodoo lag-fix...not needed....as these roms use ext4 as thier default filesystem, not the rfs that Samsung uses in touchwiz..there is voodoo sound support in the kernel...

Coming from touchwiz..it is a bit tricky....This rom must be flashed from the correct Recovery...meaning, u will need to ODIN the proper recvery, then flash the THS Buid 2, then this rom(and the glitch kernel and g-apps, if u want).

i recall some instructions being posted somewhere...but I need to do some digging around...unless some one else wants to post some...

EDIT:

Install:
    Use CMW fixed for CM7 ODIN.TAR or CMW.ZIP
    Flash the above mentioned recovery...
    Boot into recovery
    wipe Data
    Flash THS Build 2
    reboot recovery
    wipe data in CWM
    install AOKP rom
    install gapps
    instal glitch kernel(optional)
    reboot

Download THS build 2 and the AOKP rom and the CWM zip..put on sd card...you should be fine flashing the recovery zip in your current recovery...then selecting the option to reboot to recovery..u should then be in the new recovery u just flashed...then continue with the steps..

I believe this will work fine....be warned...I flashed ICS form CM7...so have a full ODIN file available in-case something messes up and u need to revert to stock or what ever and start again...FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    AOKP Milestone 4 Download

I am not sure why the official mirrors are down....hoping the rom wasn't pulled or something and it's just a server failure....so I am posting a link to download the rom from my dropbox..(hope that is ok)..don't want to get myself in-trouble....I will remove it if Stephen.k.spear (the OP of the rom) tells me too.

AOKP M4 Fascinate: GET IT HERE