FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

VZW users and A-Key problems, anyone found a good method?

11 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By PRSPower, Junior Member on 30th January 2008, 07:48 PM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
30th May 2008, 07:09 PM |#21  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:

Given that this is very easy, very fast, can be done directly from the cell phone and requires no further input on my part, it seems the way to go.

Right, as I said, most of the time they can authenticate you OTA without even giving you an A-Key. However, the field in EPST exists for when they can't.
22nd March 2012, 12:43 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
So is this still the same today, with all the android phones?
4th June 2012, 07:38 AM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Fix VZW A-Key Issues
I used to have to do this when I was using my xv6800, I think any time I changed the radio. If you flash a new ROM that includes a radio, this process needs to be redone. As a side note, none of this EVER needs to be done with a 4G LTE device, as the SIM card handles all account settings and authentication data (A-Key stands for Authentication Key).

You will need an ESN from another VZW phone that is NOT active on any account (I will call this the "old phone").
  1. Log into you account on vzw.com
  2. Change ESN on your account the the ESN from the "old phone"
  3. Change ESN on your account back to the ESN for the "new phone"
  4. Dial *228 option 1 to program your phone. This will set the correct A-Key
When you change the ESN on your account, VZW will generate a new A-Key in their HLR (Home Location Register ... See wikipedia for more info. It states GSM in the article, but the same applies for CDMA). The *228 option 1 will ONLY program the A-Key if the HLR thinks that it has not been done yet, therefore switching ESNs will allow the A-Key to be programmed into the handset.

And for the record, I don't work for VZW and never have.
26th June 2012, 03:08 AM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Will it work today?
I just got a new XV6800, and would like to flash a new ROM. Will Verizon give me a new A-Key if I do it today? Seems like the forums for flashing have died out about 3 years ago, so I just wanted to make sure.
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread