[How To] Boot Sound

Search This thread

eollie

Mar 30, 2011
I had started a thread asking for help on how to do this. So since its pretty much confirmed it works on most phones even when you didnt realize it was installed Ifigured it was time to give it a proper [How-To].

Disclaimer:I am not responsible if you break,brick,hump,throw against wall or any other action you do to your phone. By using this script you agree anything that happens is your own noobtastic fault. Any attempts at blaming me for anything other than this being fantastic will result in you being pointed and laughed at.

If you are using BACKSIDE/IHO or have already installed the script dont I REPEAT DONT run the script again. Doing so makes multiple instances of the commands and will stop the bootsound from playing. If you run the script more than once you will have to delete somethings to get it to work. SO be warned DO NOT RUN THE SCRIPT IF YOU HAVE ALREADY OR ARE USING BACKSIDEIHO ROM

The ability to play boot sounds is not activated in CM7 based roms. You have to run a script that will enable this function on CM7 based roms. I remember somebody posting this a short while back but it wouldnt work for me. Apparently the sound file I was using was not named properly.

I found a tutorial on CMforums about how to do this. Tested it and everything works great. Several people have tried this on Froyo roms and not have it work. Also it appears on some phones it just wont work at all.

This is what you do.
1. Download this shell script here bootsnd.sh

2. Place it on the root of your SD card & then open Terminal & type the following
su
cd /sdcard
sh bootsnd.sh

3. Now by using a file manager program with R/W (Read/Write) go to the /system/bin in your phone & make sure the file has transfered over! It should say BOOTSOUND & have permissions set to rwxrwxrwx! for this I use Root Explorer or you can use File Manager once you have selected R/W

4. Before transferring your sound file over rename it on your pc, android_audio and make sure it is a .mp3 file. Transfer the sound file from your pc to the root of your SDcard. Now move your sound file you want to play when the phone boots to /system/media of your phone & rename it android_audio you will have to be in R/W mode! Typically fifteen seconds is plenty long and just perfect, however anything over 30 seconds will get cut off.

5. Reboot & enjoy your new BOOTSOUND B)

I dont take credit for this and I am just adding the info here, if you wanna give thanks make sure you go here as well & say thanks to Colpophage for his help on this topic - say thanks here

If your having trouble getting sounds to play this should fix the problem.

Here is how to fix it.
Make sure you are mounting in R/W mode on each of these steps.
deaver_92 on XDA said:
To start go to

/system/etc/init.local.rc

and open it in the text editor. Delete everything from

###Bootsound - Safe to Delete: Start###

to

###Bootsound - Safe to Delete: Stop###

Delete any instances of it.
Using a app like root explorer, goto /system/bin and delete the file bootsound.
Back out to /system now open build.prop in text editor mode, look for this text.

Code:
ro.config.play.bootsound=1
Delete it from the build.prop and save and exit.

This is optional but recommened.
Reboot phone.
Verify no sound is playing.

Now run the script again and reboot.
You should have a boot sound again.

Thanks to danieljc1, Jerryscript, deaver_92 on XDA and most importantly colpophage on CMforum.

Last edited:

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Sorry, no boot sound for me. I even tried to fix it with the tutorial and nothing.

if you're using a froyo rom, it's a simpler and different method to get the boot sound.

you need the .mp3 saved as
/system/sounds/poweron/PowerOn.mp3

that's all.
if it still doesn't work, try re-encoding the mp3, or use a different one. sometimes the system's picky about which mp3s it'll use for a bootsound.

MaKTaiL

Oct 17, 2011
Brasília
if you're using a froyo rom, it's a simpler and different method to get the boot sound.

you need the .mp3 saved as
/system/sounds/poweron/PowerOn.mp3

that's all.
if it still doesn't work, try re-encoding the mp3, or use a different one. sometimes the system's picky about which mp3s it'll use for a bootsound.

The problem is: there is no folder under the name of sounds. Should I create one?

JerryScript

Mar 17, 2011
Las Vegas
If you are using a CM7 based ROM, here's a flashable zip file you can use:

Activate-Bootsound-signed.zip

Boot into recovery and flash after flashing any CM7 based ROM. ;)

Note- If you have made changes to the files mentioned by eollie, you must remove your changes before flashing this.

Reactions: badblue1

mjs2011

May 25, 2011
Thanks Jerry. out of curiosity, is there a size or time limit for these boot sounds? i was thinking of adding the very opening of "Zoo Station" by U2.

eollie

Mar 30, 2011
Thanks Jerry. out of curiosity, is there a size or time limit for these boot sounds? i was thinking of adding the very opening of "Zoo Station" by U2.

Remember some Rom cookers have supercharged the boot process. So the best thing to do is use a timer and time how long you have from the flash from the second bootanimation to when the phone does the soft vibirate to let you know its loaded.

suyashc

Oct 13, 2011
OnePlus 8 Pro
it is not working for me...i did nothing eollies thread and i only flash Activate_Bootsound-signed.zip this on that you have given,but steel boot sound is not working.I am currently on cm7 6.5.8.Please tell me what to do to enable boot sound???
Thanks in advanced....

eollie

Mar 30, 2011
Please remove the paid app from your post. It is against the rules. Plus there is a zip created by jerryscript that does this.

Another thing you edited the post for better wording yet instead of typing out into you abbreviated it. Also used the letter u instead of typing you. /faceplam Your post is horribly written using leet speak and text speak because you either cant spell or are too lazy to use proper words.

D1358531

Apr 1, 2012
I can't believe it...I did everything mentioned in the first post, and I actually got the boot sound to work on my Galaxy Mini running CM7.2! Thanks so much!

venkat kamesh

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 11, 2012
Tirupati
xdaforums.com
it is not working for me...i did nothing eollies thread and i only flash Activate_Bootsound-signed.zip this on that you have given,but steel boot sound is not working.I am currently on cm7 6.5.8.Please tell me what to do to enable boot sound???
Thanks in advanced....

try this adding on system/etc/init.local.rc

dont delete any previous data writed there and copy this code and paste it below there so ur boot sound get work
and make sure u need to follow the first given on bin then try
the code is

Code:
###Bootsound - Safe to Delete: Start ###

service bootsound /system/bin/bootsound
        user media
        group audio
        disabled
        oneshot

on property:init.svc.bootanim=running   # to correct timin
        start bootsound

on property:dev.bootcomplete=1
        stop bootsound
### Bootsound - Safe to Delete: End ###

Reactions: Alanman13

sohotha

Feb 5, 2010
GT-I9100 running slimTW5 v3.0

Hi,

Tried all your suggestions.
Regenerated bootsound/edited init.local.rc/build.prop

But still no sound - using android_audio.mp3 - which is valid !!!

Was able change bootanimation.

Something I'm missing or just not possible in this rom ?

Thanks or any advise

Alanman13

Jun 17, 2012
Denver
I couldn't get the script to work for me either, but the manual method did work for me. The file I had was an ogg, so I edited that part of the bootsound file and the off plays.

Sorry, I don't know why yours doesn't work. Did you make sure your bootsound file has no extension?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had started a thread asking for help on how to do this. So since its pretty much confirmed it works on most phones even when you didnt realize it was installed Ifigured it was time to give it a proper [How-To].

Disclaimer:I am not responsible if you break,brick,hump,throw against wall or any other action you do to your phone. By using this script you agree anything that happens is your own noobtastic fault. Any attempts at blaming me for anything other than this being fantastic will result in you being pointed and laughed at.

If you are using BACKSIDE/IHO or have already installed the script dont I REPEAT DONT run the script again. Doing so makes multiple instances of the commands and will stop the bootsound from playing. If you run the script more than once you will have to delete somethings to get it to work. SO be warned DO NOT RUN THE SCRIPT IF YOU HAVE ALREADY OR ARE USING BACKSIDEIHO ROM

The ability to play boot sounds is not activated in CM7 based roms. You have to run a script that will enable this function on CM7 based roms. I remember somebody posting this a short while back but it wouldnt work for me. Apparently the sound file I was using was not named properly.

I found a tutorial on CMforums about how to do this. Tested it and everything works great. Several people have tried this on Froyo roms and not have it work. Also it appears on some phones it just wont work at all.

This is what you do.
    1. Download this shell script here bootsnd.sh

2. Place it on the root of your SD card & then open Terminal & type the following
    su
    cd /sdcard
    sh bootsnd.sh

3. Now by using a file manager program with R/W (Read/Write) go to the /system/bin in your phone & make sure the file has transfered over! It should say BOOTSOUND & have permissions set to rwxrwxrwx! for this I use Root Explorer or you can use File Manager once you have selected R/W

4. Before transferring your sound file over rename it on your pc, android_audio and make sure it is a .mp3 file. Transfer the sound file from your pc to the root of your SDcard. Now move your sound file you want to play when the phone boots to /system/media of your phone & rename it android_audio you will have to be in R/W mode! Typically fifteen seconds is plenty long and just perfect, however anything over 30 seconds will get cut off.

5. Reboot & enjoy your new BOOTSOUND B)

I dont take credit for this and I am just adding the info here, if you wanna give thanks make sure you go here as well & say thanks to Colpophage for his help on this topic - say thanks here

If your having trouble getting sounds to play this should fix the problem.

Here is how to fix it.
    Make sure you are mounting in R/W mode on each of these steps.
    deaver_92 on XDA said:
    To start go to

/system/etc/init.local.rc

and open it in the text editor. Delete everything from

###Bootsound - Safe to Delete: Start###

to

###Bootsound - Safe to Delete: Stop###

Delete any instances of it.
    Using a app like root explorer, goto /system/bin and delete the file bootsound.
    Back out to /system now open build.prop in text editor mode, look for this text.

Code:
    ro.config.play.bootsound=1
    Delete it from the build.prop and save and exit.

This is optional but recommened.
    Reboot phone.
    Verify no sound is playing.

Now run the script again and reboot.
    You should have a boot sound again.

Thanks to danieljc1, Jerryscript, deaver_92 on XDA and most importantly colpophage on CMforum.
    If you are using a CM7 based ROM, here's a flashable zip file you can use:

Activate-Bootsound-signed.zip

Boot into recovery and flash after flashing any CM7 based ROM. ;)

Note- If you have made changes to the files mentioned by eollie, you must remove your changes before flashing this.
    is there any way to use a sound for when the phone powers off also
    Thanks in advanced....

try this adding on system/etc/init.local.rc

dont delete any previous data writed there and copy this code and paste it below there so ur boot sound get work
    and make sure u need to follow the first given on bin then try
    the code is

Code:
    ###Bootsound - Safe to Delete: Start ###

service bootsound /system/bin/bootsound
            user media
            group audio
            disabled
            oneshot

on property:init.svc.bootanim=running   # to correct timin
            start bootsound

on property:dev.bootcomplete=1
            stop bootsound
    ### Bootsound - Safe to Delete: End ###
    Tested on cm11, 12 in 13also .
    Not worked .
    Tell how to remove that files .
    Using /system 's memory.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

Was it worked for earlier version?
    I don't think so.
    Worked in cm7.
    If you were able to test for cm12, cm13 this is the wrong device forum anyway, the Optimus v isn't capable of running ART.
    Don't know about what file to remove without cracking open the installer zip and checking. That was why I said make a backup first. Restoring your backup will remove any changes.