[aosp-gps] easy *working* gps fix

Search This thread

lennyjew

Jul 13, 2010
Dublin
It's supposed to be those lines, formatted in that way (copy and paste shifted some of the text into the next line for me), and nothing else.

That should fix things for you hopefully

DaRkL3AD3R

Dec 5, 2010
Is this supposed to fix the issue where GPS simply doesn't turn on at all on AOSP? Because that's what I'm experiencing even after making these changes. I turn on GPS and open something like Maps and I don't get an icon in my notification bar, nor does it even try to look for me. That's the common AOSP GPS bug that requires Sense GPS lock in order to fix.

Are you guys saying this change in OP fix this particular issue? Or what exactly should it be fixing? Because unfortunately like I said I'm experiencing the same exact problems, nothing changed :(

Crimton

Apr 30, 2010
Nashville
Is this supposed to fix the issue where GPS simply doesn't turn on at all on AOSP? Because that's what I'm experiencing even after making these changes. I turn on GPS and open something like Maps and I don't get an icon in my notification bar, nor does it even try to look for me. That's the common AOSP GPS bug that requires Sense GPS lock in order to fix.

Are you guys saying this change in OP fix this particular issue? Or what exactly should it be fixing? Because unfortunately like I said I'm experiencing the same exact problems, nothing changed :(

I'm experiencing the same thing here. My GPS just doesn't work at all before or after the gps.conf edits.

Breezer23

Nov 20, 2009
Chicagoish
Unfortunately, it didn't fix anything for me. After rebooting the device it reset to Eastern Europe. In fact, I wasn't able to lock GPS at all using GPS Status.

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
Open up RootExplorer>system > build prop. Be sure to change r/o to r/w in top right corner prior to attempt editing.

Sent from my 1.6GHz processor TB w/XDA App!

i looked in system/build.prop for persist.radio.agps.mode=x and i couldnt find that line at all :confused:

found alot of persist.other stuff but not persist.radio.agps

did i miss it? or is it just not always there?

Last edited:

voxigenboy

Jul 2, 2010
San Diego
i noticed DT incorporated this gps.conf and build.prop into his latest SHIFTAO5P. although after installing the rom, i had to reboot for the gps to kick in.

tcallahan

Sep 9, 2010
Okay so... I added the build.prop edit and the config from the OP... now when i open my maps app... bam! its 100% on point. But still when i try to use navigation it just gets stuck "searching for gps". Has anyone gotten past this point on CM7?

voxigenboy

Jul 2, 2010
San Diego
Okay so... I added the build.prop edit and the config from the OP... now when i open my maps app... bam! its 100% on point. But still when i try to use navigation it just gets stuck "searching for gps". Has anyone gotten past this point on CM7?

the gps.conf and build.prop fix the gps when you are using the Maps program. seems to work just fine even when you do the 'directions' bit from it.

for some reason though, the Navigation program still has an issue. i've tried practically every aosp rom out there and Maps/Directions works fine no problem, but every single time.. wether i apply this "fix" or not, navigation still craps out.

i've not only used this maps fix, but tried those "gps fix" .zip's from DT's threads and installing a sense rom first, getting a fix, then installing an aosp rom.. yet still, Maps is fine, Navigation is not.

Mustang302LX

Feb 28, 2011
Petaluma, CA
the gps.conf and build.prop fix the gps when you are using the Maps program. seems to work just fine even when you do the 'directions' bit from it.

for some reason though, the Navigation program still has an issue. i've tried practically every aosp rom out there and Maps/Directions works fine no problem, but every single time.. wether i apply this "fix" or not, navigation still craps out.

i've not only used this maps fix, but tried those "gps fix" .zip's from DT's threads and installing a sense rom first, getting a fix, then installing an aosp rom.. yet still, Maps is fine, Navigation is not.

I had to do the Sense trick to get my GPS to work with CM7 initially and my Navigation works perfectly. The only issue I have is the network location issue that is present in AOSP ROMs for our device.

Reactions: Auronis1

project.in.process

Aug 21, 2010
anyone having trouble,
i did the trick (as mentioned/suggested) where i copied the text in an email to myself & pasted it into the text window
However---make sure you add line breaks in the code to show it exactly like the OP wrote it. otherwise, code runs together and won't function properly.

just a thought.

eris72

Aug 12, 2010
i used this on the latest omfgb nightly, though it was after doing the sense trick so idk how much of a difference it made. about 24 hrs after doing it, however, my phone lost all ability to make phones calls, send texts, or use data. only wifi worked. i'm not blaming this, but i had been running that nightly/kernel combo for over a week with no problems and i just wanted to post it in case it happens to anyone else. i don't know enough about this to tell if its at all feasible that this could've caused such a thing.

to fix it i had to wipe everything, and i decided to flash cm7 1.7. used this again, and gps works fantastic! hopefully what happened before was just a fluke or unrelated, because having to do the sense trick every time i flash aosp always held me back from updating or trying different roms.

for people having trouble with the script, with a little adb knowledge its very easy.. just pull, gedit, push.. i've been saving the old one as .bak before pushing the new one just in case. takes all of 2 minutes and theres no copying/pasting from emails or whatever on your phone, which can mess up the format.

Last edited:

voxigenboy

Jul 2, 2010
San Diego
i received an email suggesting that people who are having problems getting this fix to work may have DNS issues. i'm not sure if that would be the case or not, but just in case, i've added an " [EDIT] " to the main post with info on the 'DNS fix'.

Morkai Almandragon

Jan 29, 2009
------------------------------------------------

NTP_SERVER=65.49.70.245
NTP_SERVER=68.67.69.235
NTP_SERVER=0.68.67.69.235
NTP_SERVER=1.68.67.69.235
NTP_SERVER=2.68.67.69.235
NTP_SERVER=3.68.67.69.235
XTRA_SERVER_1=http://216.187.118.44/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_2=http://69.90.74.97/xtra.bin
XTRA_SERVER_3=http://216.187.118.44/xtra.bin
C2K_HOST=default
C2K_PORT=0

------------------------------------------------[/QUOTE]

is this fixing network location for people ?

pmdied

Mar 26, 2010
I'd like to try this but I'm having a little trouble copying this to he edit screen.
I can cut the text out but what is the procedure for pasting this on? Does it have to be done through adb?

Sent from my BLACKSOURC3 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [EDIT] It has been verified that this "fix" takes care of the Google Maps application. It will pick up your location just fine as well as allow you to use the 'Directions' portion of the application. However, if you are trying to use the Navigation application, there is a good chance it will not work. Navigation seems to be an issue on practically all AOSP roms.

=============================================

you will need to open your " GPS.CONF " file which is located in:

/etc/gps.conf

use 'Root Explorer' and select " Mount R/W " (to allow you to edit the file
    long press on it and select " Open In Text Editor "

now make sure it is EXACTLY like this:
    ----------------------------------------------

NTP_SERVER=us.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=0.north-america.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=1.north-america.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=2.north-america.pool.ntp.org
    NTP_SERVER=3.north-america.pool.ntp.org
    XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
    XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
    XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin
    C2K_HOST=default
    C2K_PORT=0

-----------------------------------------------

when you are done, simply save it and that's it (may have to reboot).

now GPS works without having to do any weird GPS FIXES or anything.

==========
    ==========

[EDIT]: I received an email suggesting that people who are experiencing issues with this fix may have DNS problems. If that is the case, then try this fix instead:

NTP_SERVER=65.49.70.245
    NTP_SERVER=68.67.69.235
    NTP_SERVER=0.68.67.69.235
    NTP_SERVER=1.68.67.69.235
    NTP_SERVER=2.68.67.69.235
    NTP_SERVER=3.68.67.69.235
    XTRA_SERVER_1=http://216.187.118.44/xtra.bin
    XTRA_SERVER_2=http://69.90.74.97/xtra.bin
    XTRA_SERVER_3=http://216.187.118.44/xtra.bin
    C2K_HOST=default
    C2K_PORT=0

Open up RootExplorer>system > build prop. Be sure to change r/o to r/w in top right corner prior to attempt editing.

Sent from my 1.6GHz processor TB w/XDA App!

i looked in system/build.prop for persist.radio.agps.mode=x and i couldnt find that line at all :confused:

Crap, I blew the damn file away and forgot to look at the permissions. Can anybody out there tell me what they are?

rw-r--r--

on mine, if that helps

In CM7 based, it's under the "+from QCT Fusion" section

I had to do the Sense trick to get my GPS to work with CM7 initially and my Navigation works perfectly. The only issue I have is the network location issue that is present in AOSP ROMs for our device.