[RECOVERY][ROOT]TWRP 3.2.1-1 Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 SM-T820/T825

Search This thread

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Unofficial release -TWRP recovery for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 - SM-T820/T825, Qualcomm MSM8996

teamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

TWRP 3.2.1-0 Released
Dec 9, 2017

TWRP 3.2.1-0 is out now for most currently supported devices.

What's new in 3.2.1-0:

What's new in 3.2.1-0:

* minui fixes (cryptomilk)
* Better android-8.0 compatibility in ROM trees (Dees_Troy)
* Fix missing library in android-8.0 (nkk71)
* Fix inconsistent SDCard naming (DevUt)
* Default to TWRP restore instead of adb backup restore to fix restore on fresh TWRP boot (jlask)

Update 18/5/2018
TWRP 3.2.1-1 build released.

Current status: BETA

Features:

MTP working
ADB working
SEANDROID warning fix
TWRP and Kernel built from latest source
Factory Image flashing(see below) >> to be added
NTFS support
F2FS support >> To be added
Twrp app support

IMPORTANT:
PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS POST BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING TO YOUR DEVICE.

WHATEVER YOU DO BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR DEVICE AND HAVE THE STOCK FIRMWARE TO HAND JUST IN CASE, DOWNLOADED FROM SAMMOBILE OR UPDATO.
THIS WILL TRIP KNOX AND MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY!

Instructions:

Flash with ODIN using the AP slot.

1. Put your device in DOWNLOAD mode.
2. Uncheck Auto reboot.
3. Load the respective file below into the AP slot and hit start.
4. After flashing and ODIN reports PASS immediately reboot to recovery by holding POWER + HOME + VOL DOWN.
As soon as the screen goes blank change to VOL UP whilst still holding POWER + HOME.
You should now see TWRP recovery.
Failure to implicitly comply with step 4 will result in stock recovery replacing TWRP at first boot

NOTE: Since android 5.1.1 it is necessary to enable OEM Unlock.
Settings -> Developer Options -> OEM unlocking
ENABLE OEM UNLOCK FIRST OR YOU MAY ENCOUNTER 'BLOCKED BY FRP LOCK' WHEN FLASHING.

DOWNLOAD -
Device must be running at least AQD6 or later firmware. Earlier firmware may need the previous builds:

UPDATE: 18/5/2018 TWRP 3.2.1-1

twrp_3.2.1-1_T820_28518

twrp_3.2.1-1_T825_29518

UPDATE: 8/5/2017 TWRP 3.1.0-1

twrp_3.1.0-1_sm-t820_AQD6

twrp_3.1.0-1_sm-t825_AQD6

Previous builds:

SM-T820:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120721426

SM-T825:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673368273298945058

IMPORTANT! This device enforces dm-verity. ANY modifications or even mounting system will put the device into a bootloop. To prevent this TWRP will ask at first boot if you want to keep system 'Read only' or 'Allow modifications to system'. If you choose to keep 'Read only' you will have to flash TWRP at every boot to recovery.
If you choose to 'Allow' then Magisk needs flashing below to disable dm-verity.

Follow the instructions below to disable dmverity, forced encryption and mount internal storage(DATA):

MARSHMALLOW AND NOUGAT ONLY!:
To disable forced encryption, mount internal storage(DATA) and disable dm-verity:

1. Boot to Twrp
2. Format Data partition using FORMAT DATA button under Wipe options.
(Note: This will wipe the internal storage)
3. Check DATA is mountable.
4. Install Magisk
5. Reboot

OREO ONLY!:
To disable forced encryption, mount internal storage(DATA) and disable dm-verity:

1. Boot to TWRP

2. Install the Forced encryption patch: Tabs3_oreo_forced encryption_disabler

3. Format DATA using the *FORMAT DATA button* under the wipe options.
(NOTE - THIS WILL WIPE ALL INTERNAL STORAGE!)

4. Install Magisk

5. Reboot and check DATA is mountable

Done.

Magisk: https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

INSTRUCTIONS TO USE ADB BACKUP:
https://www.droidorigin.com/take-adb-backup-using-twrp-v3-1-0-0/

DEVICE TREE: soon

PLEASE DO *NOT* DIRECT LINK TO THESE FILES. PLEASE LINK TO THIS POST

Screenshot_2016_03_05_08_13_44_1.png

DnoCrqh.png

VAm49c4.png

ytBFf13.png

ONLSkMi.png

Credits: Me, my testers @suzook, @jonathonalexander, Teamwin
Please note I don't own this device and spend a lot of my free time bringing these builds for you to use and benefit from.

FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED PLEASE.
THANKS.

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

Last edited:

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
How do you mean it bootloops? I thought you said that you were able to mount the partitions and flash supersu?:confused:

I can. It flashes, and boots to TWRP., Partitions are mounted. But I can never reboot to system. It winds up bootlooping, even without flashing SuperSU.

Reactions: RMXO

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
I can. It flashes, and boots to TWRP., Partitions are mounted. But I can never reboot to system. It winds up bootlooping, even without flashing SuperSU.
Ah right, the issue isn't twrp, it's dmverity. If you allow modifications to system in twrp it triggers dm-verity which causes a boot loop.
To remedy this you need to disable it by either flashing SuperSU and/or the boot patch
Be aware that after flashing the boot patch you will need to FORMAT (not wipe) /DATA

The other alternative is to disable 'allow modifications to system'
However if you choose to disable modifications you will need to reflash twrp each time you reboot as it will be replaced by stock recovery.

Last edited:

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
Ah right, the issue isn't twrp, it's dmverity. If you allow modifications to system in twrp it triggers dm-verity which causes a boot loop.
To remedy this you need to disable it by either flashing SuperSU and/or the boot patch
Be aware that after flashing the boot patch you will need to FORMAT (not wipe) /DATA

The other alternative is to disable 'allow modifications to system'
However if you choose to disable modifications you will need to reflash twrp each time you reboot as it will be replaced by stock recovery.

Format data for me at this point is fine, as I'm starting fresh again. Where is this boot patch? Will give it a try tonight.

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
Last edited:
Reactions: suzook

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
Reactions: namitutonka

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
Damn, even defining the boot device in the command line doesn't allow named partitions to mount.

Back to the previous twrp then.

Looks like manual patching of the boot image is going to be required.

Ok, sounds good. Ready to test whenever you need. I'm available rest of day, and all weekend. Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unofficial release -TWRP recovery for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 - SM-T820/T825, Qualcomm MSM8996

teamwin-recovery-project-twrp-logo.jpg

TWRP 3.2.1-0 Released
    Dec 9, 2017

TWRP 3.2.1-0 is out now for most currently supported devices.

What's new in 3.2.1-0:

What's new in 3.2.1-0:

* minui fixes (cryptomilk)
    * Better android-8.0 compatibility in ROM trees (Dees_Troy)
    * Fix missing library in android-8.0 (nkk71)
    * Fix inconsistent SDCard naming (DevUt)
    * Default to TWRP restore instead of adb backup restore to fix restore on fresh TWRP boot (jlask)

Update 18/5/2018
    TWRP 3.2.1-1 build released.

Current status: BETA

Features:

MTP working
    ADB working
    SEANDROID warning fix
    TWRP and Kernel built from latest source
    Factory Image flashing(see below) >> to be added
    NTFS support
    F2FS support >> To be added
    Twrp app support

IMPORTANT:
    PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS POST BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING TO YOUR DEVICE.

WHATEVER YOU DO BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR DEVICE AND HAVE THE STOCK FIRMWARE TO HAND JUST IN CASE, DOWNLOADED FROM SAMMOBILE OR UPDATO.
    THIS WILL TRIP KNOX AND MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY!

Instructions:

Flash with ODIN using the AP slot.

1. Put your device in DOWNLOAD mode.
    2. Uncheck Auto reboot.
    3. Load the respective file below into the AP slot and hit start.
    4. After flashing and ODIN reports PASS immediately reboot to recovery by holding POWER + HOME + VOL DOWN.
    As soon as the screen goes blank change to VOL UP whilst still holding POWER + HOME.
    You should now see TWRP recovery.
    Failure to implicitly comply with step 4 will result in stock recovery replacing TWRP at first boot

NOTE: Since android 5.1.1 it is necessary to enable OEM Unlock.
    Settings -> Developer Options -> OEM unlocking
    ENABLE OEM UNLOCK FIRST OR YOU MAY ENCOUNTER 'BLOCKED BY FRP LOCK' WHEN FLASHING.

DOWNLOAD -
    Device must be running at least AQD6 or later firmware. Earlier firmware may need the previous builds:

UPDATE: 18/5/2018 TWRP 3.2.1-1

twrp_3.2.1-1_T820_28518

twrp_3.2.1-1_T825_29518

UPDATE: 8/5/2017 TWRP 3.1.0-1

twrp_3.1.0-1_sm-t820_AQD6

twrp_3.1.0-1_sm-t825_AQD6

Previous builds:

SM-T820:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120721426

SM-T825:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673368273298945058

IMPORTANT! This device enforces dm-verity. ANY modifications or even mounting system will put the device into a bootloop. To prevent this TWRP will ask at first boot if you want to keep system 'Read only' or 'Allow modifications to system'. If you choose to keep 'Read only' you will have to flash TWRP at every boot to recovery.
    If you choose to 'Allow' then Magisk needs flashing below to disable dm-verity.

Follow the instructions below to disable dmverity, forced encryption and mount internal storage(DATA):

MARSHMALLOW AND NOUGAT ONLY!:

1. Boot to Twrp
    2. Format Data partition using FORMAT DATA button under Wipe options.
    (Note: This will wipe the internal storage)
    3. Check DATA is mountable.
    4. Install Magisk
    5. Reboot

OREO ONLY!:

1. Boot to TWRP

2. Install the Forced encryption patch: Tabs3_oreo_forced encryption_disabler

3. Format DATA using the *FORMAT DATA button* under the wipe options.
    (NOTE - THIS WILL WIPE ALL INTERNAL STORAGE!)

4. Install Magisk

5. Reboot and check DATA is mountable

Done.

Magisk: https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

INSTRUCTIONS TO USE ADB BACKUP:
    https://www.droidorigin.com/take-adb-backup-using-twrp-v3-1-0-0/

DEVICE TREE: soon

PLEASE DO *NOT* DIRECT LINK TO THESE FILES. PLEASE LINK TO THIS POST

Screenshot_2016_03_05_08_13_44_1.png

DnoCrqh.png

VAm49c4.png

ytBFf13.png

ONLSkMi.png

Credits: Me, my testers @suzook, @jonathonalexander, Teamwin
    Please note I don't own this device and spend a lot of my free time bringing these builds for you to use and benefit from.

FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED PLEASE.
    THANKS.

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

Ok, just tried the AQB9 Bootloader with your first and second permissive boot.img, but didn't worked. Stucked at first boot logo with the yellow writing in the upper left corner like before. Do you maybe have a AQBB, AQC1 or AQD6 permissive boot.img?

Edit:
    Just to be sure that the error lies in your kernel source, I downgraded the firmware to AQB9. Ended up with the same errors for both permissive boot images like before.
    Looks like the kernel source is fubarred. It's not the first time Sammy source code has been unbootable and it always Qualcomm source code.
    Samsung have just contacted me with confirmation of an updated source code release, so hopefully this one boots
    Try reading the OP instead of posting pointless questions. Ciao.

You have far more patience than I do when it comes to dealing with some of these posters:rolleyes: How people can so quickly lose sight of the fact that you are donating your time to help us with a device that you don't even own is beyond me :confused:
    Thanks again for everything that you do - we really do appreciate it! :good:
    UPDATE: SM-T820 and SM-T825 fixed builds up.
    SuperSU compatibility fixed.
    Data mount works!!! I think we(you) have a winner! Camera works, rotate works,an supersu works,and flashes in twrp as it should. Great job, curious as to what the issue was.
    The issue, as I suspected, the kernel version was mismatched to the base firmware on the device.

This is why it was important to get supersu working correctly, so the stock boot.img on the device could be patched rather than providing pre-patched boot images. That would have turned into a real nightmare to provide for every device.

Anyway this is all fixed now on the latest posted TWRP and Chainfire is also implementing a fix to SuperSU.
    Chainfire has also implemented my Encryption fix into SuperSU.

You've been a great help in all this, to me and Chainfire. Hope your wife understands ;)

Chainfire has another request you may be able to help with in the Beta SuperSU thread.