Camera app has been updated!

Search This thread

bloodfire1004

Sep 27, 2012
The Camera app has just been updated on my Z5 .. unfortunately, I forgot to take a screenshot of the changelog (but mostly it seemed to be about the UI and Superior Auto seems to be improved). EDIT: see @schecter7's post directly below mine for the changelog!

Looking at it, the UI was changed the same as how it was supposed to look like based on the promo videos and demo units from before. Sadly, there is no manual shutter speed yet as far as I can see, manual focus, and still cannot change ISO when shooting at 20MP/23MP mode.

We all know thought that Sony tends to have 'hidden' changes to their algorithm whenever they have these kinds of updates as evidenced from updates before. I'm still waiting for the complete changelog from XperiaBlog but so haven't time yet to do any extensive testing.

Did you notice any significant changes in yours apart from the UI changes?

Last edited:

schecter7

Aug 5, 2011
Austin, TX
Changelog attached

Edit: Now we could swipe to change modes, added another (third) screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-15-21-39-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-15-21-39-22.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 3,071
  • Screenshot_2015-11-15-21-39-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-15-21-39-27.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 3,082
  • Screenshot_2015-11-15-21-46-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-15-21-46-08.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 3,027
Last edited:

shizenyasuya

Sep 19, 2008
Seattle
I installed the update and I've noticed that the problem with noise in low-light... in fact ingeneral is a bit better. It's still not as good as the galaxy line as far as crispness / saturation, but I don't think that's Sony's goal. For real, if I could install the Samsung camera app and libraries on this phone, I'd be all over that. Anyway it does seem to have improved, noticeably.

cklow01

Dec 27, 2010
Where can I change the GPS tag and save folder location in this new app? Can't find it. Thanks.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Timaustin2000

Feb 16, 2013
Trying not to speak too soon as I've not done anything near a comprehensive test but there do seem to be improvements in processing, though not as marked as I had expected. The one biggie is the zoom: to my eyes, the processing on the zoom is much better now; the sharpening fringing on edges is much smaller, which means that it's less of an oil painting mess when you crop the zoomed image. And that's in low indoor light.

8MP generally seems sharper.

More to follow.

On the interface, I note that they've hidden the exposure and colour adjustments on SA in a menu (boo!) but given a button to switch them off when you want to return to auto (yay!) swings and roundabouts but generally pleased.

EDIT: Yep, definitely better digital zoom. Good enough to piece together small text (Just about legibly) at 5x. Trust me: it was not doing that before!

Last edited:

drsoran2

Apr 25, 2011
Germany
So still no manual shutter speed in this update?

I thought that this would be a given since the Z5 supports manual features now, or don't they?

Is it possible to control the shutter speed with 3rd party apps? What's the resolution and the shutter speed range? Is it actually working or does the system override the manual settings?

kitch9

Feb 12, 2010
The fisheye effect at long focal lengths at the edges of pictures appears to have been corrected. Definite colour balance tweaks, spot on now for me.

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
Through auto update. Tried uninstalled and reinstalled but no luck. Don't really want to format the phone just because of the camera.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Have you tried the ultimate fix for all problems ever? Turn it off and back on again. Lol

Sent from my Xperia z5 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CAn someone upload the APK file. Many thanks :)

OK I found !
    The Camera app has just been updated on my Z5 .. unfortunately, I forgot to take a screenshot of the changelog (but mostly it seemed to be about the UI and Superior Auto seems to be improved). EDIT: see @schecter7's post directly below mine for the changelog!

Looking at it, the UI was changed the same as how it was supposed to look like based on the promo videos and demo units from before. Sadly, there is no manual shutter speed yet as far as I can see, manual focus, and still cannot change ISO when shooting at 20MP/23MP mode.

We all know thought that Sony tends to have 'hidden' changes to their algorithm whenever they have these kinds of updates as evidenced from updates before. I'm still waiting for the complete changelog from XperiaBlog but so haven't time yet to do any extensive testing.

Did you notice any significant changes in yours apart from the UI changes?
    Changelog attached

Edit: Now we could swipe to change modes, added another (third) screenshot.
    Trying not to speak too soon as I've not done anything near a comprehensive test but there do seem to be improvements in processing, though not as marked as I had expected. The one biggie is the zoom: to my eyes, the processing on the zoom is much better now; the sharpening fringing on edges is much smaller, which means that it's less of an oil painting mess when you crop the zoomed image. And that's in low indoor light.

8MP generally seems sharper.

More to follow.

On the interface, I note that they've hidden the exposure and colour adjustments on SA in a menu (boo!) but given a button to switch them off when you want to return to auto (yay!) swings and roundabouts but generally pleased.

EDIT: Yep, definitely better digital zoom. Good enough to piece together small text (Just about legibly) at 5x. Trust me: it was not doing that before!
    Enable animator scale in developer options will help.