[RECOVERY] Custom CWM-Based Touch Recovery 5.0.2.7 for Kindle Fire [FINAL][Dt:10/03]

Search This thread

foxdog66

Jul 28, 2010
one thing I'm pleased to announce, using cm7 u can safely use the reboot to recovery option, and not get stuck in recovery after using the reboot system option. takes the pressure off ur button for those who don't wanna push the power button to get into recovery option.

using rom manager, reboot to recovery doesn't work. don't know if it's rom manager or related to the recovery?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium

rom manager's reboot into recovery option worked for me just now on cm7

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
I tried it from cm9. ill try it from cm7 later. wonder what the difference would be doing it from different rom's?

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
any app writers wanna make a GUI to install this and firefirefire1.2 thru an apk ON the device? so people don't get stuck in fastboot or lost in driver issues? basically like rommanager would, but also installs firefirefire

lovejoy777

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
awsome

doomlord we need to get you a kindle. you were close befor but just a little short.
im sure you could sort out a dam good kernel.

thanks for all your work.....

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
any app writers wanna make a GUI to install this and firefirefire1.2 thru an apk ON the device? so people don't get stuck in fastboot or lost in driver issues? basically like rommanager would, but also installs firefirefire

Already done, next kindle root of mine installs recovery and firefirefire with one command. I just need a recovery I can redistribute. I am talking to doomlord about it.

Soon as he gives me an ok, or feels it is stable enough to release source, I will post one.

foxdog66

Jul 28, 2010
Already done, next kindle root of mine installs recovery and firefirefire with one command. I just need a recovery I can redistribute. I am talking to doomlord about it.

Soon as he gives me an ok, or feels it is stable enough to release source, I will post one.

You should also include a few basic things like installing zip from sdcard, wipe/backup/restore etc, like a stripped down ROM manager. Would be slick :D

foxdog66

Jul 28, 2010
Koush probably wouldn't accept this as official would he? It would be sweet to have are own section of roms and kernels in ROM manager and not hafta trick it to get it to work

Sblood86

Apr 18, 2011
Middle of nowhere, Texas
Alright so I ran through most of your tests from your list.

1. booted recovery from fastboot (did not flash)
  2. performed system backup
  3. mounted USB storage from within recovery and pushed test zip from OP
  4. installed updated zip confirming files flashed to system and data (did not confirm cache but one can assume)
  5. performed system restore to prior state
  6. reboot to recovery (note being that I did not flash CWM at this point it booted into TWRP)
  7. reboot device; at this point the device looped back into recovery
  8. set bootmode from adb back to 4000 and reboot device
  9. booted recovery from fastboot again
  10. reboot to fastboot mode
  11. reboot device
  12. flashed and booted back into recovery
  13. reboot into recovery mode (curious if there would be a difference between having TWRP flashed on the device)
  14. reboot device again, device did reboot properly this time.

In short: AWESOME!!!

Edit:
So I've been playing around a bit with a few other things tonight, went to make another backup from within CWM and I only had 150megs of space free (oops), no big deal right?

Went into mounts and storage and mounted the usb from my PC and deleted some older backups from twrp.
Unmounted the device and went to make another backup... 0megs of space free. (I went ahead and remounted the usb and deleted the partial backup that had been made) and checked again, still 0 (the PC of course shows over a gig free at this point)

Reboot > reboot recovery. USB is remounted properly and the correct amount of space is displayed.

Appears to be a small issue with the device remounting the sdcard after externally modifying the contents.

Unfortunately I've already rebooted so I don't think the recovery logs will be much use but for the sake of testing I would be more than willing to fill my sdcard backup with random junk and reproduce the error again? lol

Last edited:
Reactions: DooMLoRD

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Alright so I ran through most of your tests from your list.

1. booted recovery from fastboot (did not flash)
  2. performed system backup
  3. mounted USB storage from within recovery and pushed test zip from OP
  4. installed updated zip confirming files flashed to system and data (did not confirm cache but one can assume)
  5. performed system restore to prior state
  6. reboot to recovery (note being that I did not flash CWM at this point it booted into TWRP)
  7. reboot device; at this point the device looped back into recovery
  8. set bootmode from adb back to 4000 and reboot device
  9. booted recovery from fastboot again
  10. reboot to fastboot mode
  11. reboot device
  12. flashed and booted back into recovery
  13. reboot into recovery mode (curious if there would be a difference between having TWRP flashed on the device)
  14. reboot device again, device did reboot properly this time.

In short: AWESOME!!!

Edit:
So I've been playing around a bit with a few other things tonight, went to make another backup from within CWM and I only had 150megs of space free (oops), no big deal right?

Went into mounts and storage and mounted the usb from my PC and deleted some older backups from twrp.
Unmounted the device and went to make another backup... 0megs of space free. (I went ahead and remounted the usb and deleted the partial backup that had been made) and checked again, still 0 (the PC of course shows over a gig free at this point)

Reboot > reboot recovery. USB is remounted properly and the correct amount of space is displayed.

Appears to be a small issue with the device remounting the sdcard after externally modifying the contents.

Unfortunately I've already rebooted so I don't think the recovery logs will be much use but for the sake of testing I would be more than willing to fill my sdcard backup with random junk and reproduce the error again? lol

thanks for the detailed report...

did u try this: after flashing the recovery onto /recovery partition of device, check if all the "Reboot options" works also check if "power off" works...

regarding the SDCARD issue... i think its a common issue of CWM not refreshing the sdcard contents when still in recovery mode... had this issue on X10... its always best to reboot back into recovery...

Reactions: Sblood86

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a Custom CWM-Based Touch Recovery 5.0.2.7 for Kindle Fire​

Credits and special thanks to Koush and everyone else involved in Cyanogenmod project!​

kf-screencap-new.jpg

[ info ]

This is standard CWM recovery with some smart features/modifications and ability to navigate using touch screen (on-screen buttons)

i dont have this device with me so cant do testing myself... smirkis & others from this thread helped out with testing it...

[ credits / special thanks ]

• Koush - for his brilliant work & coding for CWM recovery
    • TeamWin - for the TWRP recovery... i have used the recovery.fstab from their recovery-ramdisk...
    • pokey9000 - for providing the custom binaries to set bootmode
    • Napstar - my teammate (Team UtterChaos) for his work on implementing touch based navigation interface
    • sztupy - for his work on SteamMOD recovery (the core touch interface is based on his work)
    • jcase - for pointing out correct default.prop entires
    • all testers who helped with the initial test versions

[ WARNING ]

and incase this doest work correctly make sure that u can restore to factory condition...

DO NOT rapidly tap the on-screen buttons...

[ Requirements ]

• fastboot capable Kindle Fire (factory cable way or rooted and bootmode enabled)

[ features ]

• touch based on-screen buttons for navigation thru menus (from top to bottom):
      • SELECT
      • UP
      • DOWN
      • BACK
    • based on standard CWM5.0.2.7 recovery sources
    • revamped layout for recovery menu (to improve navigation) [renamed few options and changed their order]
    • changed "wipe data/factory reset" option to just "factory reset", and detailed the partitions which will be wiped
    • added reboot options (Kindle Fire specific)
      • reboot into system
      • reboot into recovery
      • reboot into fastboot mode
    • "Partition SDCard" is disabled for this device
    • add confirmation to "backup" option in Nandroid menu... it used to keep getting pressed by mistake and start making backups immediately... now it will ask u before starting backup ;)
    • removed tons of "NO"s from some menus...
    • fixed "reboot into recovery" in "advanced menu"
    • shows battery percentage [based on generic sysfs interface] (not sure if this works as i dont have device to test)
    • shows current time (time when the recovery was entered/started)
    • uses new Roboto FONT (from latest CWM repo)
    • recovery build date/time is now shown
    • new "select update.zip menu": it will give u a new option - "show file details" - which will display the size (in bytes) and the MD5SUM of the selected file :)
    • new "advanced backup menu": it will allow the user to manually select which partitions to be backed up... supported partitions (/boot (kernel), /system, /data, /cache & /sd-ext)... THESE BACKUPs WILL BE DONE TO /sdcard
    • added prompt to display the "backup folder name" when user starts restoring a backup
    • added a warning and option to abort backup if space on sdcard is < 150 MB
    • increased on screen log/output display to 36 rows

[ how to flash/install ]

reboot into fastboot mode and enter the command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery filename.img

[ how to use recovery ]

use onscreen buttons to navigate in recovery menus

[ what all to test ]

1. flashing UPDATE.zip (test update.zip : test_emmc_update-v3.zip will copy a file "blankplaceholder" to /system, /data & /cache partitions)
    2. backup/restore of current ROM
    3. mounting USB storage in recovery menu
    4. access to device via adb
    5. fix permissions (Advanced Menu)
    6. reboot options (check if device can reboot into system, recovery & fastboot mode)

[ how to report issues ]

while reporting issues (if any) kindly provided detailed info as to what all steps lead to that error/issue... also while in this recovery mode (before rebooting) pull the recovery log files using ADB and upload them with ur post
    Code:
    adb pull /cache/recovery .

[ donations ]

if u feel that this work has helped u OR u think that the work i put into making this is worthy of donations, then click on the following link for buying me some coffee/beer/etc ;)

PAYPAL DONATION LINK

[ sources ]

https://github.com/DooMLoRD/CWM-Recovery-Modded-Kindle-Fire

[ download links ]

< NEW >

[Kindle Fire] CWM-Based Touch Edition Recovery 5.0.2.7 by TeamUtterChaos (v01-FINAL)
    MD5HASH: 980f152121afd5dcd12b732669e21b09

< OLD >

[Kindle Fire] CWM-Based Touch Edition Recovery 5.0.2.7 by TeamUtterChaos (v01-BETA2)
    MD5HASH: 62022defd4a459ff552490e7c07de5af

[Kindle Fire] CWM-Based Touch Edition Recovery 5.0.2.7 by TeamUtterChaos (v01-BETA1)
    MD5HASH: 7524585473aa20158fc8491f85023dcc

icon8.gif

enjoy!!!
    hey guys i am free today... if its possible can someone please summarize whatever features/bug fixes u want in the FINAL version?

i wont create the final version with full touch as the code might be unstable... but i will try n release a separate test version for full touch recovery!!!!

but right now i want to finalize this, so please let me know asap!
    reserved for later
    mod edit *snip* insert really unwanted post here

we have been working on this for past two months and have released this recovery for various devices (SE Xperia X10, ARC, PLAY; HTC Flyer; Huawei Ideos X6; Samsung Galaxy SL i9003)...

FYI the base for this recovery is CWM (by koush/CM team) and i have personally added some modifications which can be found here: https://github.com/DooMLoRD/CWM-Recovery-Modded
    most of the work, related to adding touch based navigation, has been done by my team-mate Napstar... the "touch" capability is from a small block of code from SteamMOD recovery by sztupy...

u can decide urself when u see the sources (sources will be released soon)...

further more if u dont understand/appreciate our work then u can leave this thread and stop talking crap like this...

another thing ur post is being reported to the MODS...

if ppl are not interested in our work i think we will stop this... there is no point wasting our time for a community who doesnt understand/appreciate what we are doing and anyways we dont have the device... we were purely doing this so that users from ur community can benefit... if there is so much hatred we will close this project...
    hmmm... not too sure why thats happening

lets try one thing...

when device boots into recovery connect it to PC via adb and execute the following command:
    Code:
    adb shell rm /res/keys

and then try to flash that update.zip again...

Its due to the asserts in the update script not matching the properties in your default.prop. I should of posted this last night, I ran into the same problems and fixed it. I feel asleep before I could.

Here is the default.prop that I used http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=CQ638khn if you want to merge the changed, specific changes are

Code:
    ro.product.model=Full Android on Blaze or SDP
    ro.product.brand=generic
    ro.product.name=blaze
    ro.product.device=blaze
    ro.product.board=omap4sdp
    ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
    ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
    ro.product.manufacturer=TI
    ro.product.locale.language=en
    ro.product.locale.region=US
    ro.wifi.channels=