[Q] Safestrap and Restoring Stock ROM

Search This thread

Twisked

May 22, 2014
I have a rooted Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon). I'm running Safestrap and made a backup of the stock ROM about two weeks ago.

...I had not tried any other ROMs, now I wish I had. Something went wrong with my stock ROM, long story short - it's just not workin' right and I want to restore it from the backup I've made.

I want to restore it to the stock ROM slot (not a new ROM slot).

The backup is on a Micro SD card, Safestrap sees the backup file. The 'Restore' button is not red (while I've got the stock ROM activated).

I haven't done anything yet. I'm hoping I can just hit restore and it'll restore the stock ROM slot to the backup I made a couple weeks ago.

...is it that simple? Is there anything I should or should not do?

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
I have a rooted Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon). I'm running Safestrap and made a backup of the stock ROM about two weeks ago.

...I had not tried any other ROMs, now I wish I had. Something went wrong with my stock ROM, long story short - it's just not workin' right and I want to restore it from the backup I've made.

The backup is on a Micro SD card, Safestrap sees the backup file. The 'Restore' button is not red (while I've got the stock ROM activated).

I haven't done anything yet. I'm hoping I can just hit restore and it'll restore the stock ROM slot to the backup I made a couple weeks ago.

It is that simple, just hit restore, select the file, then swipe the restore button.

Reactions: Twisked

Twisked

May 22, 2014
It is that simple, just hit restore, select the file, then swipe the restore button.

Just one more question, if for any reason the restore fails... will Safestrap be unaffected?

What I mean by that is, I have another ROM (Hyperdrive) up and running that I can choose with Safestrap. If for some reason the restoration of the Stock ROM (in the stock ROM slot) fails, Safestrap will keep on working and I can choose Hyperdrive.

...and then if I reboot, I can still choose to boot up into Recovery mode with Safestrap. Is that correct?

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
Just one more question, if for any reason the restore fails... will Safestrap be unaffected?

What I mean by that is, I have another ROM (Hyperdrive) up and running that I can choose with Safestrap. If for some reason the restoration of the Stock ROM (in the stock ROM slot) fails, Safestrap will keep on working and I can choose Hyperdrive.

...and then if I reboot, I can still choose to boot up into Recovery mode with Safestrap. Is that correct?

If the restore fails you'll get a message saying that it failed, you can then just restore a different backup.

Twisked

May 22, 2014
If the restore fails you'll get a message saying that it failed, you can then just restore a different backup.

I've only got the one backup file that I'd made.

If it does fail, could I download a stock ROM from somewhere to put into the Stock ROM slot?

I'm not sure how Safestrap works, in my thinking if I screw up (wipe out) the Stock ROM slot then I've deleted Safestrap too. I think that's where my biggest worries are coming into play here. I'm hoping my understand of that is wrong.

...thanks by the way for your replies :good:

EDIT: I found a site that has a rooted stock ROM for the Verizon Galaxy Note 3. Downloading it now to be safe.

Last edited:

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
I've only got the one backup file that I'd made.

If it does fail, could I download a stock ROM from somewhere to put into the Stock ROM slot?

I'm not sure how Safestrap works, in my thinking if I screw up (wipe out) the Stock ROM slot then I've deleted Safestrap too. I think that's where my biggest worries are coming into play here. I'm hoping my understand of that is wrong.

...thanks by the way for your replies :good:

If for some odd reason your backup fails you could place one of the available ROMs on your sdcard and install it from there. In a worst case scenario you always have Odin and the .tar files to restore your phone.

Twisked

May 22, 2014
If for some odd reason your backup fails you could place one of the available ROMs on your sdcard and install it from there. In a worst case scenario you always have Odin and the .tar files to restore your phone.

Hopefully last question (sorry, want to make sure I have my head wrapped around this) :p

You said if the restore fails I'll simply get a failed message. ...if that happens, could I choose to boot with the Hyperdrive ROM and restart the phone with no problems?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, isn't Safestrap running from that Stock ROM slot? Or does it run independently of whatever ROMs are in the slots.

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
Hopefully last question (sorry, want to make sure I have my head wrapped around this) :p

You said if the restore fails I'll simply get a failed message. ...if that happens, could I choose to boot with the Hyperdrive ROM and restart the phone with no problems?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, isn't Safestrap running from that Stock ROM slot? Or does it run independently of whatever ROMs are in the slots.

If the restore fails it will not effect SafeStrap, you will just be able to boot up HyperDrive afterwards. The chances of it failing are extremely slim.

Twisked

May 22, 2014
If the restore fails it will not effect SafeStrap, you will just be able to boot up HyperDrive afterwards. The chances of it failing are extremely slim.

Thank you so much for all your help! I'm probably going to wait 'til tomorrow evening to do this (need my phone runnin' smoothly from now 'til then for work).

...not sure which reply of yours to click 'THANKS' on. I guess the first one, but they were all helpful. :good:

Reactions: airmaxx23

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
Thank you so much for all your help! I'm probably going to wait 'til tomorrow evening to do this (need my phone runnin' smoothly from now 'til then for work).

...not sure which reply of yours to click 'THANKS' on. I guess the first one, but they were all helpful. :good:

One more thing, more of a "heads up". During the restore if your screen turns off and pressing Power or Home doesn't turn it on just leave it and when the restore is done it will turn on or just reboot on it's own. Restores can take 5 minutes or more depending on how big of a backup file you have.

Twisked

May 22, 2014
One more thing, more of a "heads up". During the restore if your screen turns off and pressing Power or Home doesn't turn it on just leave it and when the restore is done it will turn on or just reboot on it's own. Restores can take 5 minutes or more depending on how big of a backup file you have.

Thought you might like to know, my meeting for tomorrow was cancelled so I went ahead and tried the restoration. ...worked FLAWLESSLY!! Whew!! :laugh:

So my phone is back, everything is running PERFECTLY.

Which brings me to a new question (hopefully you might know). I'm on 4.3 and do not want to get the OTA update for 4.4 from Verizon. It will download automatically (640 MBs or so), and a notification will appear that can't be swiped away.

Is there something in Titanium Backup that I can freeze to prevent the OTA update? To stop that non-swipable notification from appearing?

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
Thought you might like to know, my meeting for tomorrow was cancelled so I went ahead and tried the restoration. ...worked FLAWLESSLY!! Whew!! :laugh:

So my phone is back, everything is running PERFECTLY.

Which brings me to a new question (hopefully you might know). I'm on 4.3 and do not want to get the OTA update for 4.4 from Verizon. It will download automatically (640 MBs or so), and a notification will appear that can't be swiped away.

Is there something in Titanium Backup that I can freeze to prevent the OTA update? To stop that non-swipable notification from appearing?

Yes, you can follow THIS guide to remove the notification and prevent further OTA updates from showing up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.