Alternative to 10 post rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

G-Man.

Nov 15, 2010
Laramie, WY
Holy crap my last post was long. New members are losing the ability to PM senior members of the forum, making that option impractical. No the issue is that people think the development thread is place to post "releases" which I guess it is. Maybe that's an idea though, could we add a release section? A place where you release finished ROMs? Then the development section could actually be used for...wait for it...development. Novel concept huh?

Just ban from posting in development until they've reached 50-100 useful posts. With at least 20 "thanks". Will teach them to search for answers and post questions in Q&A threads. Will make them more respectful overall.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

thewadegeek

Mar 20, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Just ban from posting in development until they've reached 50-100 useful posts. With at least 20 "thanks". Will teach them to search for answers and post questions in Q&A threads. Will make them more respectful overall.

Meh thanks mean absolutely nothing on this forum these days. People thank just to get thanks, I don't think that it is a good indicator of their status. I still like the idea of a release forum, then noobs can get their pestering/ROM fix and then development forums could be used for people actually developing stuff. And I don't mean just the "look I removed some APKS and tweaked it" development, it would be nice to see some REAL development discussions. The developer discussion forums were a good start on that, I'm glad XDA implemented that idea.

Reactions: Android Pizza

G-Man.

Nov 15, 2010
Laramie, WY
Meh thanks mean absolutely nothing on this forum these days. People thank just to get thanks, I don't think that it is a good indicator of their status. I still like the idea of a release forum, then noobs can get their pestering/ROM fix and then development forums could be used for people actually developing stuff. And I don't mean just the "look I removed some APKS and tweaked it" development, it would be nice to see some REAL development discussions. The developer discussion forums were a good start on that, I'm glad XDA implemented that idea.

Sounds good, and also imply a higher post count requirement to move from said release forum, into the real dev forums. At least 25-30 useful posts. :)

thewadegeek

Mar 20, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Sounds good, and also imply a higher post count requirement to move from said release forum, into the real dev forums. At least 25-30 useful posts. :)

Yep, so maybe the current limit to post in the release forum, then a even higher limit to post in development. The developer will still be able answer question and stuff in the release forum, yet will get the benefit of a much quieter development area. Moderators, have you guys thought of this type of thing before?

Reactions: imaconeheadXD

G-Man.

Nov 15, 2010
Laramie, WY
Yep, so maybe the current limit to post in the release forum, then a even higher limit to post in development. The developer will still be able answer question and stuff in the release forum, yet will get the benefit of a much quieter development area. Moderators, have you guys thought of this type of thing before?

I think this ^^ is one of the most realistic, and logical suggestions yet to be posted here. Best of all - it would work with current site design. :cool:

thewadegeek

Mar 20, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I think this ^^ is one of the most realistic, and logical suggestions yet to be posted here. Best of all - it would work with current site design. :cool:

I guess the hard part would be getting all the moderators on the same page as too what counts as "real development" and such. I personally don't think that questions along the lines of "when I try to build a kernel I get error such and such" would go there, instead I'm envisioning it being a section where people go and say "I was looking at the performance governor and I think it would be more efficient to change xxxx to yyyy, does that make sense to you guys?". Will it solve the worlds problems? No. But maybe it will dilute some of the useless posts.

G-Man.

Nov 15, 2010
Laramie, WY
I guess the hard part would be getting all the moderators on the same page as too what counts as "real development" and such. I personally don't think that questions along the lines of "when I try to build a kernel I get error such and such" would go there, instead I'm envisioning it being a section where people go and say "I was looking at the performance governor and I think it would be more efficient to change xxxx to yyyy, does that make sense to you guys?". Will it solve the worlds problems? No. But maybe it will dilute some of the useless posts.

I agree. You're definitely on a good track here...

roofrider

Jul 24, 2011
Bangalore, IN
...No the issue is that people think the development thread is place to post "releases" which I guess it is.
Yes it is!

Maybe that's an idea though, could we add a release section? A place where you release finished ROMs? Then the development section could actually be used for...wait for it...development. Novel concept huh?
I heard they are restructuring the forums, don't think there was an official word on it though so can't know for sure if it's happening.
I think they really need to be discussing with the developers instead, that is how Dev Discussions forum was implemented and i hope it's being used and there's also Chef Central you know. Certain forums need to be actively moderated, at least Chef Central and Dev Discussions...lol took a quick look and there were a couple of [Q] threads in Chef Central. :smh:
I'm not seeing any dev complaining about spammers and no0bs on their threads, it's always us the users. :confused:

creatiive

May 26, 2013
I like the questionnaire idea, or a submission 'request' feature that has to be approved by admins.

It is slightly annoying having to accrue the 'useful' posting limit when your main reason to visit was for access to the developer forums, although I understand the reasons for it.

G-Man.

Nov 15, 2010
Laramie, WY
I like the questionnaire idea, or a submission 'request' feature that has to be approved by admins.

It is slightly annoying having to accrue the 'useful' posting limit when your main reason to visit was for access to the developer forums, although I understand the reasons for it.

You can still access dev forums to read and download - just can't make posts.

sasg000ch

May 8, 2011
You can still access dev forums to read and download - just can't make posts.

I have had 3 helpful post in the last two day but am unable to post :crying: I dont really feel like lurking the rest of the website for somewhere else that i can contribute.

I havent read through this whole thread, but maybe an approval process could be used? It would obviously create more work for the mods tho

G-Man.

Nov 15, 2010
Laramie, WY
I have had 3 helpful post in the last two day but am unable to post :crying: I dont really feel like lurking the rest of the website for somewhere else that i can contribute.

I havent read through this whole thread, but maybe an approval process could be used? It would obviously create more work for the mods tho

Why do you NEED to post in the dev thread? If it's just to say thanks, that's the kind of stuff they don't want in the dev thread... just click the "thanks" button. If you're a developer and want to post your work, PM a moderator. If you have bugs in the rom you're using, then use "search" to find your answer.

boborone

Why do you NEED to post in the dev thread? If it's just to say thanks, that's the kind of stuff they don't want in the dev thread... just click the "thanks" button. If you're a developer and want to post your work, PM a moderator. If you have bugs in the rom you're using, then use "search" to find your answer.

/thread

Sent from the Monster fueled thermo striper.

Reactions: Product F(RED)

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

I still don't understand why a new member absolutely needs post in a development thread.

- If there's a bug in a ROM/Kernel/Mod/etc, PM the developer. They're not going to sift through hundreds of pages to find your post.

- If you are a developer, help people in any other section of the site. It should be easy for you, since you are a developer.

- If you have a question, post in Q&A.

- If you want to say thanks, hit the Thanks button in the OP of the developer's thread.

It's really not a huge deal to get 10 posts. I don't know why people are complaining. Introduce yourself, post a screenshot of your homescreen, talk about your favorite device, show off your accessories, post in Offtopic. Do SOMETHING.

I think it's worth saying that I myself rarely post in development threads anymore. I don't even have a reason to. Chances are if there's a bug, people are talking about it and the developer knows. I just use them to download ROMs. Here I am, almost 8,000 posts in, and I'm saying this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Suggestions/Alternatives

*Change 10 post to x number of thanks - Pros : It would take longer for users to gain access to development forums. - Cons : Users will beg for thanks more and possibly spam thanks to help each other gain access.

*Complete a quiz during registration - Pros : Could possibly reduce the number of people allowed in development forums. - Cons : Too hard because different people have different levels of knowledge + couldn't be multiple choice because too easy to get around.

*Let OPs of dev threads delete posts - Pros : Cut down on the useless posts. - Cons : Won't happen because only mods/admins will have ability to delete posts. Devs could show favouritism + take too much of the devs time to delete posts.

*Review posts before they appear in development - Pros : If possible, no crap would appear in dev threads. - Cons : Not possible because of the massive workload on the manpower of the mods.

*Deny access to Off-topic until user has 10 posts - Pros : Stops a lot of people posting there to get to 10 posts. - Cons : Users will be more likely to spam in the device forums instead.

Alternative to 10 post rule :)

I'm creating this thread as a place to centralize all alternative ideas to the 10 post rule.

Obviously, a lot of different suggestions have been made over the time and we've been told that the admins won't change the rule unless a better solution can be proven to work.

So if you have any suggestions as to what could be used instead of needing 10 posts to post in development, then post your idea in here.

*If you're not sure why there is a limit to post in development, read the following thread - Postcount limit in developmental fora

*If you want to moan about the rule, don't post it anywhere on this site as we've heard it all before.

*Need to help someone in a development thread? Or give developer a logcat? Private Message them. It exists :eek:

*If you have less than 10 posts, don't post here UNLESS you are suggesting a different alternative.

*NOTE* As mods, senior mods and admins may be checking in here, don't use this thread to try and gain your first 10 posts because your comment will most likely be deleted.
    Ok folks, just to let you know, I have subscribed to this thread and will be looking with interest at any ideas posted. I will reply to the more serious suggestions and I will delete posts by those wishing to boost their post count

Ta

Rick

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think! XDA, mobile wisdom, not a n00b feeding ground!!
    Why are you even asking what answer it was when you've already said that you're going through my post history? Find out for yourself. And stop going off topic!!!!! Stop spamming dude!!!

Nice, you just earned yourself an infraction.....please, carry on
    JJJAGUAR said:
    The truth is that this rule is frustrating. Many want to ask something urgently, and the post 10 post of spam (be realistic) does not prove that we know what we are talking about. It is especially annoying to those who do not speak English as their first language.:rolleyes:

This part of your statement is the problem with most new members.

"Many want to ask something urgently"

The development forums are NOT supposed to be used to "ask" things that is why we have questions and answers/help sub forums (that new members with less then 10 posts can post in)for just about every device.

New members have this idea that they will get a better/faster answer if they ask in the development section which just shows the sense of entitlement that most new members have when they join xda. Instead of taking the time to do some research and see if they can find the answer to their question since 9 times out of 10 it has already been asked and answered they want to jump right into the dev section to post their all important question that doesn't belong there in the first place.

Development is just for that development, members who can post logcats and help with bugs, not to ask questions.

Senior Moderator