Changes in Stock 4.4 [Summarized] [My Observations Added on Page 17]

Search This thread

benni_1994

Jul 8, 2012
Friedrichshafen
Being the newbie on this board and also to android I don't know what issue others were having or what to look for perhaps.. but I tried copying various files and folders both to and from an SD card and didn't have any issues.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Depends on the app. Systemapps have no problem but user apps may have problems

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk

Smac7

Feb 15, 2009
  • wake lag is gone
  • notification bar is improved and lag is gone here too!
  • generally feels smoother
  • snote now has zoom handwriting
  • visual touchwiz changes throughout

that's what i noticed right away. also, i can't tell for sure, but it seems like multi window is faster, maybe because of more ram.

scarmona

Nov 7, 2010
Toronto
Can anyone confirm if you're able to write to the SD Card on a stock, unrooted 4.4 install? Can you move apps to the SD Card? In short, is there still any point in having an SD Card?

I'm very interested in this too. Will the SD card slot be of any use to unrooted users? If not, is the fix as easy as modifying build.prop?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
You can still copy media files to the sd, via a sync suite or with a card reader, and players will read them. It should be a bit like the goode olde Nokia S40 experience.
Everything is handled via a pc, that is. Oldskool. Probably you cannot even delete such files w/o a usb/wifi pc connection.

Last edited:

jmwils3

Sep 21, 2010
Madison, AL
Maybe I'm just missing something, but is lock screen widgets missing from the KK update for anyone else? I cant seem to find the feature anywhere, and certainly not where it was located in the 4.3 firmwares.

scanto

Nov 26, 2009
Hi,

Is it now possible to have multiple users on the tablet, as this was not possible in the latest available firmware in germany.

Thanks
Scanto

MarrowK

Feb 13, 2014
Yes it is possible now to add multiple users with restricted profiles, and also flash player is working just fine, checked in firefox browser.

hpblze

Nov 17, 2010
Added Note Pro Features .

I just added Note Pro Keyboard and Note Pro Recent Apps Switcher and Note Pro Notification Drop Down to the New Kitkat Rom !

This Tablets getting better and better with a few more tweaks ..

You guys should check this Link to know more !!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2721077

jmwils3

Sep 21, 2010
Madison, AL
I'm also loving the updated s-note interface :) haven't played around to see everything that's new in it, but it now works with notes from my older note tablets, which is a good sign.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

yararli

Dec 3, 2012
I'm also loving the updated s-note interface :) haven't played around to see everything that's new in it, but it now works with notes from my older note tablets, which is a good sign.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Is snote as smooth as it is in galaxy note 3 or lecture notes

SM-P605 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

jmwils3

Sep 21, 2010
Madison, AL
Is snote as smooth as it is in galaxy note 3 or lecture notes

I dont have a note 3 or make much use of lecturenotes, modtly due to the habit of using snote, but it does seem much smoother and more polished than previously seen on this device on 4.3

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Reactions: yararli

yararli

Dec 3, 2012
O god isn't there quadrature windowed mode again ? What did samsung do ? Only visualised and a bit fastened the system? Is this a joke?

boshindo

Sep 19, 2013
Anyone else having problem with bluetooth shares? Before update I was able to move files via bluetooth between this and my note 3 but now they don't see each other as available bluetooth devices.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I went through the thread and summarized the changes. While the stuff discussed is new to us it's the same as the Tab Pro 10.1. Here's a link to the Tab Pro user manual in case anyone wants more detail. http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...axy_Tab_PRO_KK_English_User_Manual_NAE_F2.pdf

Cliff Notes [Updated: May 14]

Changes to Multi View

The multiwindow bar is on the right and flush to the screen. It's double stacked and much neater.

13975820253_c57be44915.jpg

New Notification Panel

The notification panel is the most obvious change.

13952851541_5ce28279e8.jpg

Updated Pen Window that Support all Multi View Apps

Does pen window manager work to add additional apps to the pen window on 4.4?

13975821293_a197d78c00.jpg

You can add tons more apps out of the box. Apps available are now common to both multiview and Pen Window. You can now directly open Pen Window apps without using Air Command or having to draw on the screen. You just open the multiview panel from the right and tap an app (vs. dragging it). A box comes up allowing you to open it in traditional multiview mode or floating like Cascade view worked on the OG Note 10.1. Pretty cool.

Tapping the box with the "+" sign shown below opens an app in a floating window, the box below it opens it as a standard multiview window.

14001981768_825c47a849.jpg

Revised Task Manager (no change to capacitive button functions)

A different task manager....

13995699915_d8eba2b804.jpg

Improved Scrap Book App

I've only used scrapbook so far, it's much slicker in layout, and comes with a copyright warning lol.

Smoother Performance

The Web Browser is smoother, the fonts in the whole system are pretty, the UI is very slick and the colors and sharpness have definitely improved ..

S pen response and pop up menu are significantly improved. It's now at the speed of the note 3!

CND2 is super fast. I have not debloated at all and it feels much smoother. I ran Antutu and got the best score I have seen on my tablet.

Multi Touch Bug Improved

The Multi - Touch bug is almost goneee !

Additional Lock Screen Security Option

i noticed there is a new locking style added, or did not noticed before.

Signature (Low Safety)

requires you to draw your signature with your pen, also requires you to set a pin just in case

S Note Improvements

So far with S Note, I've noticed some features that I either didn't know existed before, or are new. Inserting an image there is now a "Take picture in drawn frame" option where you draw the frame for the picture, and the camera is loaded inside of the frame for you to take a picture of something. Quite useful I must say. Another, definitely new option is that for annotating. A new button at the bottom of S Note, with an "A" and a pen as the icon, allows you to zoom in or your notes and write on them with greater precision in a zoomed in box at the bottom of the screen. You can resize the box to a size that suits you.

Improved Stand-by Battery Life

Standby battery life has Donatella improved! Usually the best of her overnight is losing 1% every 6 hours. This is with wifi off. I unplugged last night at midnight as it was fully charged and went to bed. 9 hours later is still at 100% :D

Support for Multiuser

Yes it is possible now to add multiple users with restricted profiles

Improved My Files App

No, it [My Files] is completely re-designed, better then ever and I didn't have any lags any more (before a start takes up to 1 minute at the end).

New S Pen Behavior

Has anyone else noticed the s pen behaves differently as it approaches the edge of the screen. Instead of offsetting it seems to snap on a grid, making it much more accurate

Greatly Reduced (Exynos) Charging Time

Reporting charging time. Went from 2% to 96% in 4 hours using the charger and cable that came with the device.

Improved Battery Life

Just have to say wow at this battery. Usually I take my tab off the charger at 6am and by 8pm its around 10% with heavy use. Sitting around 55% after update. I use my tab the same way everyday. Amazing update!!!

*Screen Write (via Air Command) Images no Longer Compressed

I tried not to use screen write (from air command) on my previous firmware because I got terribly compressed images. Now this is gone and works as intended

*Mini (Floating?) Keyboard Default in Multi View

If you need to input text while using multi-window a handy discreet and movable keyboard pops up by default so it won't block the video you were watching on the other window. I really hated the full size keyboard taking have the screen in this situation.

*Lock Screen "Cards" Replace Lock Screen Widgets

Note: This exists on the Pro 12.2's, it doesn't exist on the 8.4 and 10.1 Pro's so it's highly doubtful we'll be getting it. So there's nothing to replace the now missing lock screen widgets

13998287335_2390ff3d54_n.jpg

13995102961_ec1229e47c_n.jpg

13975178206_e0175f0476_n.jpg

*Note 10.1 2014's Getting Hancom Office (all Samsung 4.4 tablets including the $199 Tab4 7 are getting it)

14000204005_6d6b80de7c.jpg

Samsung e-Meeting's Available

Available In Samsung App's. So the only thing we don't have from the Pro's officially is the new keyboard, M-UX, and Remote PC. The latter's available here ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2624986 )and can be loaded as a standard APK. Personally, with M-UX so barren of widgets and tiles, the loss of another resource hog of questionable value isn't really a loss; at least to me. I would like (without rooting) to have the new keyboard but such is life.

14021323235_aba149b49c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    It is possible :)

the post is here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51955851

did someone else try this?
    and is it possible now to open the task manager with the menu softkey?

Yes it is possible to use the menue softkey to open up the task manager.

But you have to be rooted.

Use an root file explorer to navigate to /system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl
    Edit line 139 and change "MENU" to "APP_SWITCH"
    Save the file and then reboot. now you have a recent apps softkey
    Here's my take on the update. I haven't commented on the things talked about in the first post as it would be repetitive. As always, YMMV.

Performance:

Pretty much night and day. I have a huge number of apps and widgets so I represent the extreme. Someone said 4.4 was N3 fast; not quite but pretty close. Those with less crap than I have should notice a huge difference.

Battery:

Hard to tell. I had a bear of a time getting 4.4 installed via Odin with it failing half-a-dozen times. For some reason my N10.1-14 barely charged last night and stayed at around 35% over about 7 hours. It charged fine and almost fully during the day. I'm using it pretty heavily today and I'd guess my battery is better than before; it's certainly no worse. It's going to take a couple of days for me to get a complete read on where battery life and charging time lands.

Multiview/Pen Window

You can add tons more apps out of the box. Apps available are now common to both multiview and Pen Window. You can now directly open Pen Window apps without using Air Command or having to draw on the screen. You just open the multiview panel from the right and tap an app (vs. dragging it). A box comes up allowing you to open it in traditional multiview mode or floating like Cascade view worked on the OG Note 10.1. Pretty cool.

Tapping the box with the "+" sign shown below opens an app in a floating window, the box below it opens it as a standard multiview window.

14001981768_825c47a849.jpg

Daynote's gone/Trip Advisor wallpaper works:

Daynote no esta aqui, at least on the Panama ROM. The travel lock screen wallpaper’s been fixed for the 2,560x1,600 display and it's gorgeous. It used to look funky to accommodate portrait which doesn't exist on the N3 from whence it came.

Lock screen widgets still exist:

At least on the Panama ROM and/or my configuration.

Apps that have been noticeably cleaned up:

Mail - Cleaner, flatter, faster. Push has been added for GMail like on the N3. The new widget sucks. Combined view is the only option and the font used is huge and non-adjustable so in a 4x3 configuration you can see three e-mails.

Browser - Really nicely redone and a lot faster. Headers and controls have been re-worked so there's more browser content and less "stuff." Zoom seems less neurotic with sites opening consistently in the set viewing size (85% in my case). Reader-mode now has a night view and integration with S Note and Scrapbook. The bookmarks widget can't be re-sized anymore it's fixed at 4x2.

Scrapbook - Cleaned up and a lot faster.

S Note - Faster with some additional editing controls I haven't explored yet.

My Files - Better organized with additional filters/options for drilling down to find specific content.

S Voice, S Planner, Video Player, Gallery - Cleaned up and easier to find stuff and navigate

Problems/Issues

None yet. Long pressing the period gives me a question mark, playing with the notification panel while watching video’s fine, and I have no issues playing back video. I had to side load Samsung Video for Hub because my country didn’t support and the 4.3 version FC’s on 4.4. @nrage23 was kind enough to upload the new version and all’s good. So, all-in-all, I’m a happy camper.
    İ dont see any achievment with this upgrade for waiting many customer for a year.

Huh? It was released in October, 2013, which makes it six months from launch when it got 4.4. And out of the long list of devices Samsung promised 4.4 for it was first (not counting the N3 and SGS4 which were being upgraded before the list was published).

They want to make customers focus on pro note

Why? They cost the same and Samsung makes the same margin. The only more profitable tablets than the N10.1-14 are the 12.2 inchers.

However they still dont understand its size is not suitable to use in daily life.

Huh? 10" Android tablets have never sold well. Cheap 7/8" tablets are the majority of Android tablets sales. Apple owns the large format tablet space with the iPad/iPad Air. If you look at the 12.2 forums they aren't exactly bustling with activity. If 10" isn't large enough for you buy a 12". But don't assume everyone feels the same way. For me, 10" is the perfect balance. I can still get productivity work done and have the portability I view as important.

As for quad screen multi view, sure, I'd like to have it. Would I use it? Probably not. The windows would be too small (at least for me) on a 10" display. The Tab Pro 10.1 doesn't have quad screen multi view either.

They should make their specifications as same as each other then it can be an improvment. But now it is so far away from this approach.

This I agree with and was hoping for. Samsung could have brought the N10.1-14 up to "Pro level" with this update. To a certain extent they did. From what people are reporting we got all the UI updates with the exception of M-UX. The value of M-UX is debatable anyway since a large portion of its features were omitted between being shown at CES and appearing on production devices. And the reason we didn't get it may have more to do with converting existing users to it when they are already using more "standard" home screens than there are standard/M-UX home screens combined. The only other things that seem to be missing (so far) are the updated keyboard and Pro-specific apps like Hancom and e-Meeting. In a way, this update's perfect for me. I get the performance improvements of 4.4, the "freshening" of TW from the Pros, and don't have to reconfigure the way I use my device.

And i think old note 10.1 has a better usage.

No offense, but you're out of your mind. I had a N8000 for over a year and there's no comparison between the two. The old one was heavy, big, and shiny. The 147 PPI display was embarrassing from the start and downright painful to use. The original Note 10.1 was smoother in some regard but with the CPU/GPU only pushing 147 PPI that's not really a challenge. I used my N8000 as a laptop replacement about 25% of the time. I'm up to 50+% on the N10.1-14

You're entitled to your opinion (everyone here is) but don't assume it represents the "world."